Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

NFL Random Thought of the Day

I have taken care of several patients with this syndrome, usually post auto accident. If the symptoms are present after 2 weeks, it is likely that these patients are left with variable permanent deficits............as in memory, personality changes and most importantly learning deficits. Most will not have any memory of the event that caused his concussion. This is the type of player that should seriously consider to retire from football.

NFL player diagnosed with post-traumatic amnesia after entering concussion protocol
by: Brayden Stamps, Addy Bink
Posted: Dec 6, 2023 / 04:06 PM PST
Updated: Dec 6, 2023 / 04:06 PM PST

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WGHP) — Carolina Panthers tight end Hayden Hurst has been diagnosed with post-traumatic amnesia, his father confirmed on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Hurst entered the concussion protocol after what appeared to be a routine tackle during the Panthers’ Week 10 loss to the Chicago Bears on Thursday. He had not appeared in a game since.

Hurst returned to practice for the first time as a limited participant on Wednesday. However, he donned a red jersey and was still in a concussion protocol.

Hurst’s father, Jerry Hurst, announced on Wednesday evening that the tight end was diagnosed with post-traumatic amnesia by an independent neurologist as a result of a hit he took against the Bears.

According to Headway, post-traumatic amnesia, or PTA, “is the time after a period of unconsciousness when the injured person is conscious and awake, but is behaving or talking in a bizarre or uncharacteristic manner.”

Headway adds that the person has no continuous memory of day-to-day events and struggles to remember things that happened in segments of time as small as hours and minutes. PTA can last anywhere from a few hours to a few months, and there is no immediate cure.

Mayo Clinic notes that confusion and problems remembering new information after a concussion can occur. It is especially common during the early stages of recovery. More severe head injuries can cause permanent amnesia.

Hurst’s father says that the tight end will have a slow recovery, and there is no word as to when he will be able to return to the field.

If we're talking about Russell Wilson's slide... he didn't perfect crap. He waited too long to slide. Shouldn't fault the defender for that. He wants to tuck the ball & put his big-boi pants on he needs to be prepared to take a big-boi hit, or slide a lot earlier.
This isn't God'ells NFL.

If we're talking about Russell Wilson's slide... he didn't perfect crap. He waited too long to slide. Shouldn't fault the defender for that. He wants to tuck the ball & put his big-boi pants on he needs to be prepared to take a big-boi hit, or slide a lot earlier.
This to me is similar to a quarterback running down or towards the sideline boundary and still threatening to pass or continue forward. JC has done that and it to me seems like he's setting himself up for a hit. I don't blame a Defender for coming in hot in that situation.

I have taken care of several patients with this syndrome, usually post auto accident. If the symptoms are present after 2 weeks, it is likely that these patients are left with variable permanent deficits............as in memory, personality changes and most importantly learning deficits. Most will not have any memory of the event that caused his concussion. This is the type of player that should seriously consider to retire from football.

NFL player diagnosed with post-traumatic amnesia after entering concussion protocol

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WGHP) — Carolina Panthers tight end Hayden Hurst has been diagnosed with post-traumatic amnesia, his father confirmed on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Hurst entered the concussion protocol after what appeared to be a routine tackle during the Panthers’ Week 10 loss to the Chicago Bears on Thursday. He had not appeared in a game since.

Hurst returned to practice for the first time as a limited participant on Wednesday. However, he donned a red jersey and was still in a concussion protocol.

Hurst’s father, Jerry Hurst, announced on Wednesday evening that the tight end was diagnosed with post-traumatic amnesia by an independent neurologist as a result of a hit he took against the Bears.

According to Headway, post-traumatic amnesia, or PTA, “is the time after a period of unconsciousness when the injured person is conscious and awake, but is behaving or talking in a bizarre or uncharacteristic manner.”

Headway adds that the person has no continuous memory of day-to-day events and struggles to remember things that happened in segments of time as small as hours and minutes. PTA can last anywhere from a few hours to a few months, and there is no immediate cure.

Mayo Clinic notes that confusion and problems remembering new information after a concussion can occur. It is especially common during the early stages of recovery. More severe head injuries can cause permanent amnesia.

Hurst’s father says that the tight end will have a slow recovery, and there is no word as to when he will be able to return to the field.
And yet the NFL allows them to resume play. I can see this coming up in a lawsuit again.

This is consistent with what I have been posting. Despite evolving surgical and rehab techniques, Mother Nature doesn't like to be fooled.

Opinion: Why Aaron Rodgers shouldn’t rush his return to football
Opinion by Jalal Baig
6 minute read
Published 3:21 PM EST, Thu December 7, 2023

Editor’s Note: Jalal Baig is a physician and writer based in Chicago whose work has appeared in the Washington Post, NBC News, The Atlantic, Foreign Policy and other publications. The views expressed in this commentary are his own. Read more opinion at CNN.
CNN —

It’s looking increasingly unlikely that Aaron Rodgers will return to the football field this year, according to news reports this week. And truth be told, that’s probably a good thing.

Last week, the marquee NFL quarterback announced that he was considering a return to the gridiron this season, less than three months after suffering a devastating Achilles tendon rupture minutes into his debut with the New York Jets.

Rodgers is a future Hall of Fame player with access to state-of-the-art medical care and cutting-edge rehab protocols. He is also known to possess a stubborn competitive spirit and a drive to try to achieve on the football field what seems unachievable. It’s no surprise that he would want to attempt an unprecedented recovery after [his] Achilles surgery.

“Anything is possible,” said Rodgers in a recent interview when asked about the prospects of a return to playing this year. “It’s not ‘why try?’, it’s ‘why not?’” he said.

“From September 12 on, my goal was to come back to the practice field and try to play. It was contingent on my health and our team being in position to make a run. That’s why I worked so hard for those 77 days, to get back on the field,” he added.

But reason appears to have won out. In the face of the Jets’ waning playoff fortunes, the four-time NFL MVP appears to have halted his pursuit to return this year in favor of an optimal return for next season.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/06/sport/aaron-rodgers-zach-wilson-character-assassination-jets-spt-intl
For medical professionals like myself, there were always serious doubts as to whether Rodgers would be able to overcome the natural limits of human biology and recover from his injury on an accelerated timeline.

The quandary faced by Rodgers is one that many professional athletes confront at some point in their careers when hurt. For them, there will be pressures to return after a major injury that the average patient will never be subjected to.

Rodgers came to the Jets earlier this year after a storied career with the Green Bay Packers, where he was considered key to the team’s ability to contend for the postseason.

But just four plays into the new season, the quarterback was injured during a sack by Buffalo Bills defensive end Leonard Floyd. Two days later, Rodgers underwent an Achilles’ repair surgery by orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache, who has operated on numerous elite athletes. From the beginning, Rodgers says he was asking his doctor about how fast they could speed his recovery.

“I asked [Dr. ElAttrache] if we could push it, if we could push it beyond the normal protocols. I’ve just wanted to do things quicker, smart, but quicker. It’s just about being smart with the rehab and pushing it as much as I can and then backing off on the days that it doesn’t feel good,” Rodgers said, according to an article published on the Jets’ website.

The part of the body that Dr. ElAttrache was tasked to operate on is crucial for a football player’s success. A 2023 study found that more than 40% of NFL skilled position players do not successfully return to play after rupturing their Achilles tendon.

The Achilles tendon is a band of connective tissue that links calf muscles to the heel. It is the body’s largest tendon and makes an athlete’s explosiveness and essential movements possible.

In order to potentially expedite Rodgers’ recovery, an internal brace — called a SpeedBridge technique — was used to connect the top part of the Achilles tear to the heel bone. The brace consists of a very strong and wide suture tape that spans and mechanically protects the rupture site.

“Before this device was around, you really couldn’t rehab [athletes] incredibly fast because as you rehab, you are putting stress on the repair site. Now, because you are protecting the repair site with the suture, you can actually rehab them sooner,” Dr. Selene Parekh, a professor of orthopedic surgery at Thomas Jefferson University told me, adding that the device can allow an athlete to get “back in the game a little bit quicker.”
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/29/opinions/sports-illustrated-ai-controversy-leitch
One of the first prominent athletes to use the SpeedBridge protocol was running back Cam Akers, who tore his right Achilles tendon prior to the 2021
NFL season. He returned to the Los Angeles Rams less than six months later and in time for the playoffs. While his overall playoff performances were middling with 67 carries for 172 yards, his comeback was achieved far sooner than the usual nine- to 12-month timetable.

But some experts in the field of orthopedics say the SpeedBridge should not be considered a panacea that can circumvent human physiology. The Achilles tendon needs at least five to six months to heal, they say, before it can be safely exposed again to the demands of professional football.

“In orthopedics, we haven’t necessarily found amazing ways to cheat Mother Nature as we like to sometimes think. At the end of the day, there’s no question he [Rodgers] is not as healed now as he would be half a year from now,” Dr. Daniel Guss, a professor of orthopedic surgery at Harvard Medical School, told me.

“Athletes have superhuman abilities, but not superhuman biology,” Guss said.
A traditional, pocket-passing quarterback like Rodgers may face fewer risks from surgery than a wide receiver or running back, whose style of play requires sharp changes of direction and explosive bursts of speed. But an unhealed tendon always remains vulnerable to catastrophic re-rupturing or to becoming stressed and re-injured.

Apart from these complications, his well-publicized possible return risks setting dangerous precedents for similarly stricken athletes in the future.

If Rodgers can return to quarterback the Jets in less than three months after a grievous injury, other NFL and college and high school players will envision similar recoveries for themselves. And inevitably, these expectations will ripple outside football to other sports.

Of course, there’s no uniform timetable given the manifold considerations — age, position, contractual status, available medical resources, personal aims — surrounding each individual’s comeback from injury.

This is where doctors will have to emphasize to their patients, also eager to speed up the timeline of return from injury, the limited applicability of his story, tantalizing though it may be. The application of advancements in sports medicine must always be tailored to each individual patient’s best interest.

What is clear is that Rodgers’ injury has had a seismic effect on the floundering Jets’ franchise, which remains deeply unsettled at the quarterback position as their season limps to a close.

Die-hard fans may still be clamoring for a Rodgers return to salvage their season, but most of us are glad that it looks like he’ll be taking time to heal.

That’s good news for his career going into next year, as well as for the fortunes of his team.

This is a study republished in 2023 re. NFL Achilles injury prognosis that I've mentioned in the past.

Foot Ankle Spec 2023 Aug;16(4):427-436.
doi: 10.1177/19386400211040351. Epub 2021 Oct 5.
Return to Play Following Achilles Tendon Rupture in NFL Players Based on Position
Dane Barton 1, Aditya Manoharan 1, Ansab Khwaja 1, Jacob Sorenson 2, Michel Taylor 3

Abstract

Background: The purpose of this study was to determine the return-to-play (RTP) rate and postinjury performance after Achilles tendon (AT) ruptures in National Football League (NFL) skill position players.

Methods: The study included NFL skill positions with an AT rupture between the 2009-2010 and 2015-2016 seasons. Performance data were collected and compared against a matched control group. RTP was defined as playing in at least 1 game after repair.

Results: RTP rate was 57% for the study cohort. The tight ends (TEs) had the highest RTP rate at 71% while the wide receivers (WRs) had the lowest RTP rate at 38%. Compared with the control group, WRs with successful RTP had significantly less receptions per game (P = .01). For defensive players with RTP there were significant decreases in postrepair performance in tackles, passes defended, and fumbles forced/recovered compared with the control group.

Conclusion: A total of 57% of players achieved RTP with WRs and running backs (RBs) having the lowest RTP rates and TEs and linebackers (LBs) having the highest RTP rates. RBs, defensive backs (DBs), and LBs with successful RTP had decreased performance in all categories. This updated information may be helpful for athletes, physicians, scouts, and coaches in evaluating players with a history of AT rupture.

So this is.. something..

Sean McDermott wanted the Bills to work together… like 9/11 terrorists
At St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, N.Y., McDermott’s morning address began innocently enough. He told the entire team to come together. But then, sources on-hand say, he used a strange model: the terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001. He cited the hijackers as a group of people who were all able to get on the same page to orchestrate attacks to perfection.

McDermott didn’t stop there. He followed up by quizzing the players about what positive things the terrorists did to achieve their goal, asking for specific examples of tactics — as well as what obstacles they had to overcome in order to murder American citizens.

F*ck*n' yikes.

Now we know the exact moment Sean McDermott lost his team.

This occurred in 2019 so not related with any recent losing but I’m not sure I can think of a worse analogy other then when Clayton Williams remarked that a women when raped, like the weather should just sit back and enjoy it since it’s inevitable……

As much as I hate to root for the Patty Cakes…. I was because their win put us back in the playoff cutoff. Now we (mostly) control our own destiny.

I am in shock and awe that we are having these conversations in December! Been a long dry spell …

I watched most of the game. Zappe looked really good most of the first half, then turned into a udfa starting game 1 of his life in the second half. It should have been a whitewash, but this Pats team is not good and Pittsburgh slowly worked their way back into it, and they had a chance at the end. The refs blew a huge call on the last drive and called false start on the Steelers instead of offsides on defense and that was game.

so now Pitt lost to Arizona and NE back to back at home. That’s a team that doesn’t deserve to be in the dance. They are now on the outside looking in and will need help getting in. The Texans need to slam that door shut. A win against a hobbled offensive team like the Jets is imperative and that will put them firmly into a WC spot….then it’s just a matter of keeping firm control of it.

Guys this is fun! Talking playoffs instead of draft picks is way better!

I wonder how much Mulugheta has paid for these articles. Watson certainly doesn't have to stay in LA for rehab because they are worried that repeatedly commuting to Cleveland would cause swelling in his shoulder...............the Cleveland Clinic has an elite rehab system just 5.5 miles, 13 minutes from the Browns stadium. And, as far as the reason for why he was not on the sideline during games..............you routinely see players on crutches on the sideline during games........players that would have problems getting out of the way should a play go sideline. Watson in a sling not being able to be on the sideline is more than lame. More likely, he doesn't want to be have contact with the media for questions.

Browns say Deshaun Watson was off the sideline to avoid risk of an injury in a collision
By Michael David Smith
Published December 8, 2023 06:36 AM

When the Browns’ injured starting quarterback, Deshaun Watson, was spotted in a suite during Sunday’s game, many fans questioned why he wasn’t on the sideline with his teammates. Those questions were amplified by the sight of the injured active and involved on the Bengals’ sideline during Cincinnati’s game last week.

But the Browns insist Watson was following doctors’ orders.

A Browns spokesman told Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com that the medical staff didn’t want Watson on the sideline because they didn’t want to risk a collision that could cause a setback in his recovery from shoulder surgery. All of the Browns’ players on injured reserve who attended the game were in the same suite as Watson.

The Browns also say Watson not returning to Cleveland and staying in Los Angeles to begin his rehab after having his surgery there was a medical decision: The doctors didn’t want Watson flying back and forth between Cleveland and Los Angeles because of the risk of swelling on a flight.

Sideline incidents do happen in the NFL. Two of them happened on Sunday, with a sideline official in New Orleans suffering a serious leg injury in a collision, and with the security official in Philadelphia getting himself involved in a skirmish with the 49ers. If the Browns think fewer players on the sideline reduces those risks, that makes sense.

So while Watson has been a major disappointment considering what the Browns traded for him and what they’re paying him, the particular criticism that he should have been on the sideline is unfair. He was where the team asked him to be.

Of course, no inside information was used in his gambling...........of course it wasn't. :toropalm:

Amit Patel’s lawyer cites gambling addiction for embezzlement from Jaguars

Former Jaguars executive Amit Patel allegedly embezzled more than $22 million from the team. His lawyer blames it on a gambling addiction.

Specifically, attorney Alex King said Thursday, via ESPN.com, that Patel manipulated the team’s virtual credit card program “to gamble on Daily Fantasy Sports” with FanDuel and DraftKings, and that “approximately 99% of the misappropriated funds” were related to gambling losses.

“Mr. Patel is deeply remorseful and apologizes for his conduct,” King said. “He loved working for the Jacksonville Jaguars and regrets his actions which have resulted in him both losing his dream job and damaging the organization. Mr. Patel remains in treatment and intends to seek ongoing treatment for the foreseeable future.”

The NFL claims that Patel’s actions had no relationship with football operations or interests.

“A league review uncovered no evidence indicating any inside information was used or that any game was compromised in any way,” the league told ESPN in a statement.

While there’s no reason to doubt the truthfulness of that claim, it’s naive to think the NFL would volunteer to the world that an employee used inside information or others compromised any game in any way. That’s the kind of scandal that would get the attention of Congress or other governmental authorities that would explore the full extent of protections that the NFL has developed to ensure that inside information is not misused and/or that the integrity of the game is not compromised.

It’s also naive to think that Patel didn’t at least try to find out anything he could find out that would give him an edge, if he was wagering on players who play for the Jaguars. If he was in deep enough to steal more than $22 million, he’d surely try to get any advantage that he could, any way he could.

Common sense suggests there’s a lot more to this story. Common sense suggests that the NFL and the Jaguars, who allowed this mess to unfold under their noses, would prefer that the story be ignored.

Regardless, the gambling controversy that becomes a full-blown scandal is coming. It’s inevitable. There’s a chance it’s already happening.

I wonder how much Mulugheta has paid for these articles. Watson certainly doesn't have to stay in LA for rehab because they are worried that repeatedly commuting to Cleveland would cause swelling in his shoulder...............the Cleveland Clinic has an elite rehab system just 5.5 miles, 13 minutes from the Browns stadium. And, as far as the reason for why he was not on the sideline during games..............you routinely see players on crutches on the sideline during games........players that would have problems getting out of the way should a play go sideline. Watson in a sling not being able to be on the sideline is more than lame. More likely, he doesn't want to be have contact with the media for questions.

Browns say Deshaun Watson was off the sideline to avoid risk of an injury in a collision
By Michael David Smith
Published December 8, 2023 06:36 AM

When the Browns’ injured starting quarterback, Deshaun Watson, was spotted in a suite during Sunday’s game, many fans questioned why he wasn’t on the sideline with his teammates. Those questions were amplified by the sight of the injured active and involved on the Bengals’ sideline during Cincinnati’s game last week.

But the Browns insist Watson was following doctors’ orders.

A Browns spokesman told Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com that the medical staff didn’t want Watson on the sideline because they didn’t want to risk a collision that could cause a setback in his recovery from shoulder surgery. All of the Browns’ players on injured reserve who attended the game were in the same suite as Watson.

The Browns also say Watson not returning to Cleveland and staying in Los Angeles to begin his rehab after having his surgery there was a medical decision: The doctors didn’t want Watson flying back and forth between Cleveland and Los Angeles because of the risk of swelling on a flight.

Sideline incidents do happen in the NFL. Two of them happened on Sunday, with a sideline official in New Orleans suffering a serious leg injury in a collision, and with the security official in Philadelphia getting himself involved in a skirmish with the 49ers. If the Browns think fewer players on the sideline reduces those risks, that makes sense.

So while Watson has been a major disappointment considering what the Browns traded for him and what they’re paying him, the particular criticism that he should have been on the sideline is unfair. He was where the team asked him to be.
People Are Scrutinizing The Difference Between Joe Burrow Helping His Team From The Sidelines Vs. Deshaun Watson Watching His Team From A Suite With His Girlfriend

1702081066227.png

1702081099501.png

Well, they do say that a picture says a thousand words......

And I get it. Both are Franchise QBs for the Ohio NFL teams. Both are out for the season and are in slings. Both went to their teams game this week. And one was on the field with an iPad helping his replacement, and the other was up in a suite, looking stylish, taking in the game with his girl. If this were on an ESPN Debate show segment called "Something Or Nothing", I will admit that I would answer with Something. I hate that we scrutinize things like this closely, but you can't tell me this doesn't further push the narrative that Dehsaun doesn't mind taking in the guaranteed $230,000,000 to sit out.

The responses to this tweet have been very polarizing to say the least. Of course because you have Deshaun Watson involved, you're always going to get a few massage jokes, but the seriousness in the amount of people saying this is a perfect visual to describe "For the love of the game vs. For the love of the check" makes me chuckle. You've got half the crowd saying find a new slant, but half the crowd saying THIS IS EXACTLY THE PROBLEM WITH DESHAUN.

Can we find some middle ground here? I think the fact that Joe Burrow is on the field mentoring his replacement speaks volumes about who he is and what he's about. I think Deshaun Watson being up in the stands without a Browns shirt on isn't a huge deal, but it doesn't thrill me either. However when you pair the two facts together, it does look kinda bad for Deshaun.

If I'm taking sides, I would like to be on the Anti-Twitter-Doctor side. Spare me the idea that these clowns are spewing out here that Deshaun Watson would be in grave danger on the sidelines due to the fact that he could get touched. I think Deshaun would be able to avoid contact sitting back by 10 feet from the sideline as easily as he would walking down the street. Either both can happen or he needs to be in a bubble. And the other popular argument I hate is that each has a different replacement. "Why would Deshaun need to mentor Joe Flacco?". Ummm, maybe because Deshaun's been here two years and Joe has been here two seconds? At the end of the day, the correct take is:

End of the world? No.

Bad look for Deshaun? Unfortunately, Yes.

Good look for Joe Burrow? Absolutely.

you routinely see players on crutches on the sideline during games........players that would have problems getting out of the way should a play go sideline.

Falcons’ failure to disclose Bijan Robinson illness remains under review
By Mike Florio
Published December 9, 2023 03:02 PM

As the Falcons and Buccaneers prepare to get together for the second time this season, one lingering item of business remains from the last time the two teams played, in Week 7.

That day, rookie running back Bijan Robinson was on the field for 11 snaps with only one touch, despite not being listed on the injury report.

As it turned out, Robinson had an illness that the Falcons did not disclose.

At the time, Robinson said he was “feeling weird” on Saturday night, and that by Sunday morning he was “feeling completely out of it.”

Falcons coach Arthur Smith was flippant and dismissive about the situation when pressed by reporters. However, seven weeks later, the Falcons have not been exonerated.

Per a league source, the situation continues to be under review.
Given the speed with which the league found that the Bengals did not hide quarterback Joe Burrow’s wrist injury, the fact that seven weeks have transpired since Falcons-Buccaneers suggests that something could happen beyond, “Nothing to see here.” The challenge for the NFL becomes balancing the urgency to enforce its rules against the potential liability from gamblers who had placed wagers on Robinson props (total yards, rushing yards, touchdowns, etc.) based on the notion that he was perfectly fine and would have no limitations on his use.

As illustrated by this post and the above post, Injury Reports are less and less honest...........advantageous to the team.............disadvantageous to oponents and to the gamblers.

NFL finds no violations over Joe Burrow wrist injury
By Mike Florio
Published December 9, 2023 02:31 PM

There’s nothing to see here.

That’s the conclusion from the NFL regarding the question of whether the Bengals had concealed a wrist injury to quarterback Joe Burrow before he suffered a season-ending wrist injury during the Week 11 Thursday night game at Baltimore.

The NFL has announced that the Bengals did not violate the injury report.
“The NFL reviewed all medical records, studied practice video from the week preceding the [Bengals’] Week 10 game against Houston and the Week 11 game against Baltimore, interviewed relevant medical personnel and Joe Burrow himself before arriving at its conclusion,” NFL employee Tom Pelissero posted on X. “No violations.”

Despite this conclusion, there has been no clear explanation regarding Burrow wearing a sleeve that extended past his thumb while traveling to Maryland for the game against the Ravens. Making the situation specifically suspicious was the fact that the Bengals posted video of Burrow wearing the wrap, before deleting it.

The NFL’s investigation hardly counts as independent or neutral. If the league had found that the Bengals had hidden the injury, the league would have essentially engraved an invitation for a class-action lawsuit by those who made legal wagers based on the assumption Burrow was healthy — against the Bengals for hiding the injury, and against the NFL for negligent failure to develop and to enforce an effective injury report.

Thus, while many will crow that this counts as complete and total exoneration of the Bengals, unanswered questions remain. Those questions will only be answered if someone does indeed file a lawsuit and secures the ability to conduct the kind of investigation that would be precisely designed to find the needle in the haystack.

Goodell has pre built in excuse for very suspicious egregious calls / missed calls.

Brad Allen’s crew faces increased scrutiny after a pair of missed pass interference calls
By Mike Florio

Published December 10, 2023 05:54 AM

Although people like Cowboys owner Jerry Jones believe bad calls are just part of doing business in the NFL, bad calls have consequences.

Via Adam Schefter of ESPN.com, referee Brad Allen’s crew is under increased scrutiny after a pair of missed pass interference calls in consecutive weeks.

The first came in the Week 12 game between the Falcons and Saints. In the second quarter, Atlanta linebacker Kaden Elliss made contact with Saints running back Alvin Kamara before the ball arrived. Kamara did not catch it. No flag was thrown. The drive ended in a field goal, and the Saints lost the game, 24-15.

The second came in the Sunday night game during Week 13. Chiefs receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling was wiped out by Packers cornerback Carrington Valentine near the end of the game, with Kansas City driving and Green Bay leading by eight points.

Schefter makes the obvious point that officials are graded by the league for every call made and not made. Performance during a given regular season determines postseason assignments, or lack thereof. Enough bad calls can result in an official no longer being an official, even if officials aren’t fired with the same degree of publicity that players and coaches are. Officials just fade away without fanfare, replaced by someone else when the next season begins.

There’s another potentially interesting story behind this story. Why and how did this specific issue become the subject of a Sunday Splash! report? Did Schefter notice on his own that both calls involved the same crew? Or did someone point it out to him?

If so, who? Is someone with one of the impacted teams trying to get Allen’s crew under greater scrutiny? Or is someone from the league office trying to take a little heat out of a currently hot kitchen by making it clear that these calls are indeed the result of incompetence and not design?

Remember what Commissioner Roger Goodell said, back when the NFL fiercely opposed gambling: “If gambling is permitted freely on sporting events, normal incidents of the game such as bad snaps, dropped passes, turnovers, penalties, and play calling inevitably will fuel speculation, distrust and accusations of point-shaving or game-fixing.” By pointing a finger at those responsible for “normal incidents of the game” like bad calls, the NFL can push back on the speculation, distrust, and accusations of point-shaving or game-fixing that Goodell feared.

That’s what this specific report seems to be. An effort to provide an explanation for a couple of bad calls that would otherwise bring to fruition the fears that the league routinely cited before gambling shifted from bogeyman to cash cow.

Browns Hickman PIed with the crucial Jags 4th down pass and it wasn't called. Turnover on downs. The refs determining the end of the game again.

Back