Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Report: Melvin Gordon has no offers close to the one he turned down in 2019
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 19, 2020, 2:08 PM EDT

Free agent running back Melvin Gordon may be feeling some regret right now.

Gordon held out from the first four games of the regular season last year in search of a better contract, but the Chargers never gave him the kind of offer he wanted. Now he’s a free agent, and not only is he still not getting the offer he wants, but he’s not even getting an offer as good as what the Chargers offered last year.

Mike Garafolo said on NFL Network that Gordon hasn’t received “anything remotely close” to the offer he could have had with the Chargers last year, which Garafolo reports was worth around $10 million a year.

It’s not surprising that Gordon isn’t getting many big offers, given that he finished last season with a career-low 612 rushing yards, and an average of just 3.8 yards per carry. NFL teams are increasingly deciding that running backs just aren’t worth a lot of money, and the few who get big contracts are coming off much better years than Gordon had in 2019.
The Chargers, meanwhile, have invested a long-term deal in running back Austin Ekeler, so staying with the Chargers is probably not an option for Gordon.

There may be a lesson here for Gordon and other players in understanding their own value. If your market value isn’t high, testing the free market isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Gurley signing with Falcons for 1 year contract. His knee is quickly degenerating, that's why he couldn't take a full load last year and his performance reflected his condition. If the Falcons try to push his carries, expect his knee to further deteriorate and his production to quickly go down hill.

With all the comments on how stupid our HC and our GM's moves are, and how smart and great Belichick is, I wonder what should be said about the Belichick allowing Brady to leave............and having no acceptable QB waiting in the wings to take over?

That was then, this is now.

Ok, nonetheless he's attempted an adequate replacement once (recently), which was vetoed above his pay grade, and since decided to move on on the fly..

Shouldn't be too difficult to trust Belichick's judgment given his track record.. and more particular to the original question, should be infinitely easier to trust his judgment/track record versus that of the houston football czar..

Ok, nonetheless he's attempted an adequate replacement once, which was vetoed above his pay grade, and since decided to move on on the fly..

Shouldn't be too difficult to trust Belichick's judgment given his track record.. and more particular to the original question, should be infinitely easier to trust his judgment/track record versus that of the houston football czar..
It may be said that having Brady, Belichick was never forced to make crucial personnel picks and changes necessary for coaches with other lesser QBs. Not having Brady changes not only the QB situation, but the dynamics of many other positions, including needs on the other side of the ball. And no longer having the GOAT to compensate for mediocrity and bail you out of messes will actually impact the need for making better than just "good" decisions concerning aspects of the entire team.

Ok, nonetheless he's attempted an adequate replacement once (recently), which was vetoed above his pay grade, and since decided to move on on the fly..

my understanding is Belichick is being blasted for allowing Brady to leave.

It may be said that having Brady, Belichick was never forced to make crucial personnel picks and changes necessary for coaches with other lesser QBs. Not having Brady changes not only the QB situation, but the dynamics of many other positions, including needs on the other side of the ball. And no longer having the GOAT to compensate for mediocrity and bail you out of messes will actually impact the need for making better than just "good" decisions concerning aspects of the entire team.

While I agree by and large with the general idea here, I don't so much that Belichick never had to make crucial personnel decisions. He's been front and center of Pats personnel for the better part of two decades and arguably the biggest dynasty in all of football. And that personnel can't all have been entirely buoyed by Brady's greatness. The volume of talent and success is just too much. Hell, like was said, he'd even already crucially plucked the heir apparent.. the one that started in the SB last year..

But like I said he's certainly had the benefit of the goat qb all along the way, and the ensuing future will in many ways be more interesting to watch than even that of said goat elsewhere now. Gun to anyone's head tomorrow and who do they pick to fill out their roster - OB or BB..? Yaa..

With all the comments on how stupid our HC and our GM's moves are, and how smart and great Belichick is, I wonder what should be said about the Belichick allowing Brady to leave............and having no acceptable QB waiting in the wings to take over?

It's been a minute since I've touted Belichick's genius.

Still, I think it's time. Brady & BB aren't on the same page & haven't been for a little while.

I don't think Belichick wants to handcuff the offense. He's tried to bring in talent, it just hasn't worked out. Brady is tired of waiting.

I think Belichick could plug and play ALMOST anyone on that offense and be more successful than BOB could dream to be. I'm trying to remember, but hasn't Belichick done well in the past without Brady in the lineup? I cannot remember specifically.

Belichick wanted to trade Brady and keep Jimmy G

Brady went to Kraft and Kraft told Belicheck Brady was his QB and to trade Jimmy G Why do you think BB was willing to trade Brady for Jimmy G.?

Belichick always not only thinks ahead but puts team before players even if it comes down to the GOAT.

If BB had his way the Pats would not be in the QB predicament they're in today
Remember rumor had it that BB didn't play Butler in the SB because Kraft made him trade Jimmy G.

Belichick wanted to trade Brady and keep Jimmy G

Brady went to Kraft and Kraft told Belicheck Brady was his QB and to trade Jimmy G Why do you think BB was willing to trade Brady for Jimmy G.?

Belichick always not only thinks ahead but puts team before players even if it comes down to the GOAT.

If BB had his way the Pats would not be in the QB predicament they're in today
Remember rumor had it that BB didn't play Butler in the SB because Kraft made him trade Jimmy G.
He was on the Injury Report with "illness" just prior to the game, but

Derek Watt to the Steelers to join brother TJ. What if JJ goes to Pittsburgh? All 3 Watts on one team.
Were O'Brien to attempt to move JJ that would perhaps finally shake-up the McNairs and bring them out of their River Oaks den.
Actually it might be very surprising how much less Watt would bring than expectations some have ? I dunno I'd say maybe a third-rounder.

Were O'Brien to attempt to move JJ that would perhaps finally shake-up the McNairs and bring them out of their River Oaks den.
Actually it might be very surprising how much less Watt would bring than expectations some have ? I dunno I'd say maybe a third-rounder.
We’ll probably send Watson, Watt and a second for Rothlisberger and a 6th. :kitten:

I’m finding it hard to care much about what the Texans are doing with the coronathing going on. So I guess this is a good time for them to do some seriously questionable moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The FA WR's are flying off of the board today.

Panthers- Anderson
NYJ- Perriman
Packers- Funchess
Seahawks- Dorsett
49ers- Benjamin

Tony Boselli was admitted to the hospital on 3/29 for COVID-19, then quickly transferred to the ICU. He is improving, and has been transferred to a stepdown unit, but still remains under treatment. Boselli is only 47 years old.

Tom Dempsey, former NFL kicker is now the 2nd NFL player to have died from the COVID-19..........and this is after he was reported "recovered" only days before. RIP.

Brady wanted out. This wasn't Belichick's call to make.

In fact Craft himself said, "if Tom wanted to stay, we'd have made it work."

Difference is, Brady was a FA, Nuk was under contract for 3 more years. And with the way the CBA is, holding out is a huge deterrent. So nowhere near the same. But you know that already.

Tavaris Jackson ex Seahawk backup QB killed in car accident.
Hit a tree and flipped his Camaro on his way home in Alabama.
He was just 36.
Wow. Watched every game he played in MN. Supposedly had the best arm out of anyone drafted in 2006 but was very raw and never developed.

Back