Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL NETWORK on Capers

Paragon Blue

Waterboy
Did anyone here what they said about Capers? I caught the end of the conversation. They said someone would be enticing for the Texans.

They said that while many QBs can't survive a 108 sack season, not many coaches can either. They suggested that Gary Kubiak would make an good successor due to his ability to work with quarterbacks and since he interviewed for the Texans HC position before.

MojoX said:
They said that while many QBs can't survive a 108 sack season, not many coaches can either. They suggested that Gary Kubiak would make an good successor due to his ability to work with quarterbacks and since he interviewed for the Texans HC position before.
Thanks for the info. :)

I heard that too. Probably one of the best moves we could make, Kubiak is my wife's cousin and is a native Houstonian, I would love to see it happen. Also Bob Allen on ABC 13 was saying in his opinion, he sees Pitts moving to LT, McKinney to LG, and Hodgon to C very soon. Then he says "What could it hurt?"

I've heard Gary Kubiak's name mentioned several times in the past week by different sources. Interesting :hmmm:

texan279 said:
Also Bob Allen on ABC 13 was saying in his opinion, he sees Pitts moving to LT, McKinney to LG, and Hodgon to C very soon. Then he says "What could it hurt?"
Carr has seen scarier O-lines before. If Hodgon can play we may as well do that. It gets Riley off the edge.
:challenge

Whatever will work to improve this team, BRING IT ON. I think the coaching changes on or after 1/1/06 is inevitable.

Here are some snippets on Kubiak from his bio at www.denverbroncos.com...

Kubiak wasted no time making an impact in his first season as offensive coordinator as the 1995 Broncos broke team records for points scored (388), total yards (6,040), passing yards (4,260), first downs passing (205) and highest average gain per play (5.7; tops in the AFC). Individually, wide receiver Anthony Miller topped the 1,000-yard mark (1,079) and set a franchise record for touchdown receptions (14) while Davis topped the 1,000-yard rushing mark (1,117) and finished second in the NFL Rookie of the Year balloting. Overall, three members of the Broncos' offensive unit—Miller, Sharpe and Zimmerman—were chosen to play in the Pro Bowl.

In 2003, Denver featured a rushing attack that ranked second in the NFL and an offense that finished seventh in the league.

The 2000 season saw a rekindling of the offensive firepower that marked Kubiak's first four seasons, as the club set franchise records in three major offensive categories, bettering marks established earlier in Kubiak's tenure. The Broncos set new standards for total offense (6,554), passing offense (4,243) and first downs (383), and third-year quarterback Brian Griese and Smith earned their first career Pro Bowl invitations while center Tom Nalen earned his fourth consecutive trip to Hawaii.

During the 1994 season, Kubiak coached the league's most dominant quarterback, Steve Young, in San Francisco as its offensive coordinator. Young not only led the 49ers to a victory in Super Bowl XXIX, but he also earned Super Bowl MVP honors, as well as the NFL's MVP award, besides setting numerous passing records during the campaign. He also became the NFL's all-time passer-rating leader and the first quarterback to lead the league in passing four years in a row.

As a player at Texas A&M, Kubiak made the Player's All-SWC team in 1982 and earned appearances in the Blue-Gray and Hula Bowl all-star games. In 1982, he led the SWC (Southwest Athletic Conference) in attempts (324), completions (181), percentage (55.9), yardage (1,948), touchdowns (19) and total offense (1,885). As a junior, he set conference records for touchdown passes in a game (6 against Rice) and percentage in a game (19-21 for 90.5% against Arkansas) and ranked second in the SWC in passing (1,908) and total offense (1,986). He has a degree from Texas A&M in physical education.

At St. Pius High School in his native Houston, Kubiak made all-state, all-district, and All-America and set the state passing record with 6,190 yards. He lettered four years in football, basketball and baseball and was all-state in all three sports as a junior and senior. He was also all-state twice in track.

Kubiak, 44, was recognized for his outstanding accomplishments with induction into the prestigious Texas High School Sports Hall of Fame in March 1999.

I originally stated that Kubiak would have been a good choice to begin with. I believe Capers is a good coach, and a pretty good person as well, however I don't believe he can build a fire under this group of players. I think Kubiak could. And he knows the game from the offensive side of the line and what it takes to put points on the board.
I do not believe that J P Losman is now or will ever be on the same level as The Snake. That's the QB who, at his peak would have been the guy I would want calling plays for my team if we were down 6 points and there were only 2 minutes left in the game. The same was said about Elway later on, but Madden coined that phrase for Stabler, originally.

Take this to the bank and deposit it into your savings account . . .

You will see "Fire Kubiak Now" threads created on this MB by the 3rd week of the 2006 season.

I missed the earlier comments about Kubiak, but I did hear Bob Allen's comments this evening. It couldn't hurt to give it a try. After all, the worst that could happen is for them to lose.

Marcus said:

You will see "Fire Kubiak Now" threads created on this MB by the 3rd week of the 2006 season.

Capers has had 4 years and done squat. IMO most of us have been patient, but we are approaching 5 years here. Most of us understand it takes time. No matter who they bring in, do you honestly think it could get worse? Draft Ferguson and maybe another lineman and a good TE another WR bring in Kubiak and see what happens.

Marcus said:

It will take time. I like this guy's track record. Now if he's able to get it going like Saban is w/ the Dolphins, then great. But hopefully we'll see big improvement and more positives to build on.

Bassinguy said:
however I don't believe he can build a fire under this group of players.

Sometimes I would like the players to be accountable too, they're getting paid alot of money, they should be able to build that fire themselves :)

It takes more than 5 years to build a team from scratch into a contender that stays around for more than 1 year. Especially if you are building this through the draft. Every team goes thru improvements then set backs. The Cowboys went to the playoffs the 1st year under Parcells, then the next year had a pretty dismal year... Carolina & Jacksonville built their team via aging free agents more than they did the draft to satisfy those areas that never had an NFL team that could win and make an immediate impact but had no long-term success. Look How long it took them to get back after 1996/97? it took the panthers until 03 with Their first franchise QB basically saying hed rather not p[lay football than play for the Panthers. Jacksonville is looking to crack the playoffs in 05. Maybe had they given the head coaches more time, they could have been back by 01 or 02....

Now if they bring in Kubiak, that would be great offensively speaking. The offensive plays we have are not meant for a denver blocking scheme. Hence the Sacks. Its a west coast style passing attack that has lots of short routes and very few developing routes. However that now puts us with another year or 2 while Carr & everyone else learns the West Coast Offense playbook.

What about the Defense? Will he bring a 4-3 defense with him? and how do we go about collecting personnel for that? thats also takes a year or 2.

Maybe we need change or maybe we dont but look at the other startup franchises before us and look how long it took each of them to get where they are now? We just havent gotten enough playmakers, or players that we can trade for value. No real O line players have been available with the exception of Pace.

I don't blame the organization for any of this. We have to look at this realistically... There are only 8 teams out of 32 that are going to be good enough to get to the playoffs. You cant expect in 5 years to get there when you are starting with nothing but spare parts from other teams... we have only brought in a max of 30 new rookies over our history and maybe 15 FA well say out of the 30 picks, only 10 were slated as starters this year. Now we are starting 12 7 FA were slated. 6 are starters. now only 6 players starting were people picked from the expansion draft.

You can only work with what you have to work with. If there is a coaching change, Ill be disappointed. because will this coach take this and dismantle it or will he build on the foundation laid forth? I know with the record it says now is as good a time as any to do this, but is it really? I think we should give them 1 more year. just to see if there is really any improvement I think Wand was put in prematurely and we have suffered. But who knows..

It takes more than 5 years to build a team from scratch into a contender that stays around for more than 1 year.

We can't even get to .500 much less be a contender, approaching 4 1/2 years...

IMO the problem OutofHnd is not that we cant compete with other teams great players and it taking time to get those impact players on our squad - Thats an understood part in my book - The problem is the more questionable personel decisions this staff has made consistently for 5 years now and what they have done with the talent they wanted to get.

IMO - That's not just players playing up to potential - thats coaches overvaluing talent and not coaching what talent they do have to be better.

There were players at every position available of need over the last 4 years in the off-season - yet this staff choose time and again not to cull more depth and get the impact players at the lines where the game is played. They choose to trade away pro-bowl players and starters/veterans regularly to go with youth movements and unproven project players - yet -expected better results and when called on the carpet for the decisions they have come up with a "I dunno" and more questions than answers?? For a coaching staff thats inexcuseable - your the managers of the team - it's long past time for them to act like it and take responsabilty for their choices - that goes from Top to bottom. :bomb:

Posey, Foley, Mcree, Wright, Glenn, Foreman, Sharper - etc.... All these guys are starters or quality depth on other teams - yet were not good enough here somehow? :ok: Boggle?? :confused:

A defense thats consistently underproduced and has created the lowest sack totals in the NFL going on 2 years in a row now and has never produced much pressure on other teams? This coming from a supposed "Defensive" coach with his hand picked coordinator? IMO Thats much more on coaching and schemes than the players as they picked there starters and got rid of the players they thought were not the quality they needed - IT certainly wasnt about the money as most of these players listed above are playing for not much more than Veteran min's on other teams. It's great that were not over our Cap - thanks Charlie - but then again we dont have many playmakers on the team either - Thanks again Charlie.

Veteran players and Pro-bowl players usually produce pretty consistently - Theres a reason they are veterans or Pro-bowl players most of the time - IT's called results. IMO we could have kept any of those guys on the team above if we wanted too yet choose not to. If nothing else they coud have served as the role models and veteran players with the experience to lead the way the young players on this team need to see so -when things get bad - the veterans can help show the way back to victory. Without anyone on the team to turn to and lead them asa veteran player in most of the positions on the team - this team is lost without an identity and they play just like it.

If I have one word for this staff its 'Inconsistent' - From coaching to personel moves to performance on the field.

Honestly IMO it doesnt take a rocket scientist or NFL guru to figure out the players arent producing at pro-bowl levels - but that starts with the coaches and staff and the scheme they are running. This staff and FO have consistently 'under-produced' and have mismanaged things in the draft and free-agency enough it's little wonder to me it's translated itself on the field in the same way - as a "severely disfunctional team" IMO changes are necessary and will be forthcoming to correct things and create an atmosphere of success and winning attitude again in our players and team. Mark my words - with each loss -those changes are coming sooner rather than later.

>I believe Capers is a good coach, and a pretty good person as well, >however I don't believe he can build a fire under this group of players.

Where have you been for the first three seasons?

MojoX said:

Kubiak's name has been kicked around for years and years, but he never did land a gig. Ever think there may be a reason?

outofhnd said:
It takes more than 5 years to build a team from scratch into a contender that stays around for more than 1 year. Especially if you are building this through the draft. Every team goes thru improvements then set backs. The Cowboys went to the playoffs the 1st year under Parcells, then the next year had a pretty dismal year... Carolina & Jacksonville built their team via aging free agents more than they did the draft to satisfy those areas that never had an NFL team that could win and make an immediate impact but had no long-term success. Look How long it took them to get back after 1996/97? it took the panthers until 03 with Their first franchise QB basically saying hed rather not p[lay football than play for the Panthers. Jacksonville is looking to crack the playoffs in 05. Maybe had they given the head coaches more time, they could have been back by 01 or 02....

That simply isn't true. The Panthers under Capers did pick up older free agents and older expansion picks that helped them to the nfc championship game their 2nd year. Mainly Lamar Lathon, Kevin Greene,and Sam Mills. As for Collins Capers failed him miserably when he went to the press about Collins coming to him and not wanting to play football. Collins had off field problems at the time (alcoholism). He should have said nothing and waited a day or 2 and allow Collins some time to think. Instead Capers talked to the press and made sure Collins was done with the Panthers by doing so. Capers was what killed the Panthers and he caused his own firing.

The Jaguars on the other hand made the playoffs their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons. The Jags eventually got into cap trouble but the Texans went ahead and helped them out. I've stated on here before that Coughlin did a much better job at building an expansion team than Capers.

Read this from nflhistoryguide.com: link

Jacksonville joined the NFL as an expansion team in 1995. During the Jaguars’ first year, the team fielded the AFC’s worst defense, losing nine games by more than 24 points. Offensively, however, they were successful. Mark Brunell—who had previously played in only two NFL games—posted the highest rating of any expansion-team quarterback in league history. He also led all NFL quarterbacks that year in rushing, becoming the first AFC quarterback to run for more than 400 yards in a season since Mike Pagel of the Baltimore Colts (now Indianapolis Colts) in 1983. Overall, Jacksonville’s offensive performance ranked third all-time among first-year franchises.

In 1996 the Jaguars won nine games and earned a wild-card berth to the playoffs. Wide receivers Keenan McCardell and Jimmy Smith each compiled 1,000 or more yards receiving. Brunell passed for more than 4,300 yards and was Jacksonville’s third-leading rusher, averaging five yards per carry and scoring three touchdowns. In the playoffs the Jaguars advanced to the AFC title game, where they lost to the New England Patriots.

Jacksonville advanced to the playoffs again in 1997 but lost in the first round to the Denver Broncos. In 1998 Brunell and rookie running back Fred Taylor led the team to a 11-5 win-loss record and the Central Division championship. They defeated the New England Patriots in the first round of the playoffs before being bested by the New York Jets. In 1999 Jacksonville repeated as Central Division champions but lost to the Tennessee Titans in the AFC Championship Game.

>As for Collins Capers failed him miserably when he went to the press about Collins coming to him and not wanting to play football. Collins had off field problems at the time (alcoholism). He should have said nothing and waited a day or 2 and allow Collins some time to think. Instead Capers talked to the press and made sure Collins was done with the Panthers by doing so. Capers >was what killed the Panthers and he caused his own firing.

Stop with the revisionist history. Bottom line: Collins was a quitter. If he had drinking problems, then that was his problem to deal with -- not something you can blame on Capers. It was Collins who let his team down -- not Capers.

I don't mind a losing record myself since I don't underestimate the NFL...but the way we are playing ball is embarrassing. It's not a sin to have a down year or years but we just look so pathetic in every phase of the game....As a fan I can be patient and deal with losing...just not losing in embarrassing manners.

>What they have now is NOT working! Changes MUST happen!

This sounds like a pure panic, seeing that we're barely into October and the first three games they played they were supposed to lose anyway. Yeah, you can say they weren't competitive in two of the first three, but many said they were close in game three. So really when you look at it, you are panicking because they lost to Tennessee. Yeah, things don't look very good now, but to call for massive changes after they lost three games they were supposed to lose and actually lost only one they were supposed to win is pretty silly.

Mark it down.................

Russ Grimm will be the next coach of the Houston Texans.

1. He is a Casserly guy (former member of the "Hogs" O-line from Washington)

2. He has overseen one of the best offensive line units in the NFL over the last few years (Pittsburgh)

Here is his bio from www.steelers.com:

Russ Grimm is in his fourth season as the Steelers offensive line coach. He was given the additional title of Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach in January 2004.

Grimm, 44, joined the Steelers Jan. 10, 2000 as only the second offensive line coach in Bill Cowher’s 10 seasons and was instrumental in developing one of the most-improved areas on the team in 2001. Grimm spent the previous 19 years as a player and a coach with the Washington Redskins.

Grimm has molded an offensive front that is considered one of the best in the NFL. Among the group are guard Alan Faneca, who earned All-Pro and Pro Bowl honors for a second consecutive season in 2002, and center Jeff Hartings, who developed in one of the best in the NFL after just two seasoons there. Grimm also has tutored three-year offensive tackle Marvel Smith, who blossomed into a consistent tackle, guard Kendall Simmons, who had an outstanding rookie season in 2002—earning a starting role at right guard in Week 2—and has helped developed reserve linemen tackles Oliver Ross and Mathias Nkwenti, guard Keydrick Vincent, and center Chukky Okobi.

Remember, you heard it here first.

:texflag:

HoustonFan said:
It will take time. I like this guy's track record. Now if he's able to get it going like Saban is w/ the Dolphins, then great. But hopefully we'll see big improvement and more positives to build on.

Seeing that we have already seen improvement with Capers, I don't see how a move like this would be necessary. Capers knows this team, has a track record of improvement and knows how to win. Kubiak is a huge question mark.

Vinny said:
I don't mind a losing record myself since I don't underestimate the NFL...but the way we are playing ball is embarrassing. It's not a sin to have a down year or years but we just look so pathetic in every phase of the game....As a fan I can be patient and deal with losing...just not losing in embarrassing manners.

Cincinnati wasn't embarrassing and Pittsburgh only lost one regular season game last year, so an embarrassing performance isn't much of a surprise in that case. Fact is, they have had two pretty pitiful performances this year and I don't think that demands calling for the ouster of somebody who has had a lot of success with this team for the last few years. You are right -- it's not a sin to have a down year. I say let Capers have a down year and then a year to right the ship. What's wrong with that?

Back