Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL.com ranks top 40 WRS

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...wide-receivers?campaign=Twitter_atl_wesseling

"This is not meant to be a mere reflection of raw 2012 statistics. These rankings are based purely on projected impact for the 2013 season. As such, aging players might have been demoted to reflect the possibility of a sharp decline while breakout candidates have been bumped a few spots as they threaten to reach the next level."

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. A.J. Green
4. Julio Jones
5. Dez Bryant
6. Brandon Marshall
7. Demaryius Thomas
8. Percy Harvin
9. Andre Johnson
10. Vincent Jackson
11. Steve Smith
12. Roddy White
13. Reggie Wayne
14. Hakeem Nicks
15. Jordy Nelson
16. Mike Wallace
17. Dwayne Bowe
18. Victor Cruz
19. Randall Cobb
20. Marques Colston
21. Greg Jennings
22. Torrey Smith
23. Cecil Shorts
24. Pierre Garcon
25. Jeremy Maclin
26. Antonio Brown
27. Eric Decker
28. Steve Johnson
29. Wes Welker
30. Miles Austin
31. DeSean Jackson
32. Sidney Rice
33. Kenny Britt
34. Danny Amendola
35. Mike Williams
36. James Jones
37. Denarius Moore
38. Josh Gordon
39. Anquan Boldin
40. Danario Alexander

Thoughts?

"This is not meant to be a mere reflection of raw 2012 statistics. These rankings are based purely on projected impact for the 2013 season. As such, aging players might have been demoted to reflect the possibility of a sharp decline while breakout candidates have been bumped a few spots as they threaten to reach the next level."

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. A.J. Green
4. Julio Jones
5. Dez Bryant
6. Brandon Marshall
7. Demaryius Thomas
8. Percy Harvin
9. Andre Johnson
10. Vincent Jackson
11. Steve Smith

Andre Johnson is only 2 years older than Larry Fitzgerald, he's only been in the league 1 year longer. But Andre is 7 spots lower?

Steve Smith has been playing 2 years longer than Andre, he is 2 years older than Andre..... but he's only 2 spots lower?

I understand a player's decline due to age is not a linear function..... but damn.

Can we forward this to AJ, so he can replicate his Finnegan ass whooping anger on the field next year?

Andre Johnson is only 2 years older than Larry Fitzgerald, he's only been in the league 1 year longer. But Andre is 7 spots lower?

Steve Smith has been playing 2 years longer than Andre, he is 2 years older than Andre..... but he's only 2 spots lower?

I understand a player's decline due to age is not a linear function..... but damn.

Neither have suffered major injuries. Plus like the actual article said, Fitz had some clown throwing him the ball - which makes last years #'s even more impressive.

Well, that's ... different. Ok, it's stupid.

Andre Johnson doesn't have the same long speed that he used to, but he's still plenty fast and has the body and skill set to be a top 5 WR as a possession guy for several years after he loses his ability as a deep threat (he still hasn't).

Neither have suffered major injuries. Plus like the actual article said, Fitz had some clown throwing him the ball - which makes last years #'s even more impressive.

Can you expound a little?

Neither usually refers to two choices. I mentioned three. Which 2 of the 3 are you saying never suffered a major injury?

How is 768 yards, 4 TDs, & 11.2 avg impressive? I don't see where the QB factors in.

& even if that somehow makes sense, what's it got to do with the premium one season affords him over Andre?

I think it's unrealistic.

Johnson is still a legit No. 1, but his 2012 numbers were inflated by the Texans' vacancy on the other side.

So Wesseling downgraded AJ because there isn't a legit #2 WR on the team? Downgraded? Wouldn't that make it more difficult for AJ because defenses only have to worry about him?

Did the author downgrade Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald...? Because there's sh!t for other receiving options on those teams. Definitely inflated their numbers. Sheesh. :smiliepalm:

This is not meant to be a mere reflection of raw 2012 statistics. These rankings are based purely on projected impact for the 2013 season

So I can kind of understand the high ranking for Fitz, considering they now have at least an average QB. And possibly you can predict a drop in production in AJ due to the presence of Hopkins. But still, that's quite a large gap.

Writer claims he's this low because his numbers were inflated due to the lack of another receiver on the other side, which makes no sense because it is the same thing with Larry...

One game or one playoff run, equalizing for QB, my top 12...

1. Calvin Johnson
3. A.J. Green
9. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Brandon Marshall
10. Vincent Jackson
4. Julio Jones
7. Demaryius Thomas
12. Roddy White
8. Percy Harvin
13. Reggie Wayne
11. Steve Smith

Feels like I have Roddy White low here, but...

One game or one playoff run, equalizing for QB, my top 12...

1. Calvin Johnson
3. A.J. Green
9. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Brandon Marshall
10. Vincent Jackson
4. Julio Jones
7. Demaryius Thomas
12. Roddy White
8. Percy Harvin
13. Reggie Wayne
11. Steve Smith

Feels like I have Roddy White low here, but...

I don't know how you can put Percy Harvin & Steve Smith on your list, but not Dez Bryant.

Yeah I'm taking Andre #2 behind Calvin. I honestly don't believe there are two better wr's in the nfl.

Can you expound a little?

Neither usually refers to two choices. I mentioned three. Which 2 of the 3 are you saying never suffered a major injury?

How is 768 yards, 4 TDs, & 11.2 avg impressive? I don't see where the QB factors in.

& even if that somehow makes sense, what's it got to do with the premium one season affords him over Andre?

I think it's unrealistic.

Fitz and Smith haven't had the rash of injuries that AJ has had. Thought it was pretty obvious since we all know AJ has missed plenty of time in the last 2-3 years.

Fitz had Skelton , Smith has Newton, AJ has Schaub
Which one of those three would make catching the ball MOST difficult. 768 yards, 4 TDs, & 11.2 avg is impressive when John Skelton is your starting QB.

"Fitzgerald is a probable first-ballot Hall of Famer one year removed from a 1,400-yard season with John Skelton as his quarterback. I can't blame anyone for preferring a young stud such as Green or Jones, but I think Fitzgerald has earned the benefit of the doubt. ..."

"I wanted to leave Smith in the first tier, but he wasn't quite as explosive (early season knee injury?) after the catch or separating from coverage as he was in 2011. Now 34 years old, Smith could be entering the slow fade. ..."

"This is not meant to be a mere reflection of raw 2012 statistics. These rankings are based purely on projected impact for the 2013 season. As such, aging players might have been demoted to reflect the possibility of a sharp decline while breakout candidates have been bumped a few spots as they threaten to reach the next level." :overreact:

The author is obviously forecasting a decline in AJ's performance.

Back