Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL.COM: Is Tate stealing Foster's Spotlight?

Kimmy

RealGirls LvFB!
In a word; No.

There isn't one damn thing wrong with having an extra RB. Or two!

Link Here

Is Ben Tate about to Wally Pipp Arian Foster? It is hard to believe a player one season removed from winning the rushing title could have a difficult time getting his job back after an injury, but that's what Foster is facing if Tate's sensational play continues. Tate has back-to-back 100-yard rushing games and is flashing some of the skills that convinced the Texans to nab him with the 58th overall pick in the 2010 draft.

Tate, who is averaging 4.7 yards per carry, is a downhill runner with exceptional balance, body control and quickness. He attacks the line of scrimmage with an initial burst, but is a patient runner with a knack for finding seams against overaggressive defenses. He has a terrific feel for anticipating the flow of defenders and going after the open creases on the backside. Tate's no-nonsense style results in few negative runs, which keeps the offense on schedule and ahead of the chains.

Although Tate lacks the big-play ability (zero runs of 20-plus yards) of his counterpart, he has certainly played well enough to deserve a significant role in a back-by-committee situation.

I feel they have two distinctive running styles. Arian just looks so damn smooth and fluid when he runs, long strides.

While Tate can do the one cut our ZBS calls for, he then just looks ahead and hits people.

Both awesome at what they do yet almost entirely different.

Best part about this article is we have TWO to choose from. Never thought I'd see the day when we had to decide which player because they are both so good.

Makes me happy!

Does anyone have any stats on teams who have two RB's of a similar level and how long their respective careers last?

I'm pretty sure we get extra years out of these guys from this 'problem'.

Also, we've yet to see it just yet because they haven't both been 100% healthy for any great length of time, but when the stars align and they are both firing on all cylinders this must open up a whole load of scheming options for Dennison to work on.

Situationally choosing which of these two very different runners gets the call will really give opposing DC's nightmares, the O can have different looks pre-snap with the exact same formation but just swapping these 2 guys in/out for one another.

Does anyone have any stats on teams who have two RB's of a similar level and how long their respective careers last?

I'm pretty sure we get extra years out of these guys from this 'problem'.

Also, we've yet to see it just yet because they haven't both been 100% healthy for any great length of time, but when the stars align and they are both firing on all cylinders this must open up a whole load of scheming options for Dennison to work on.

Situationally choosing which of these two very different runners gets the call will really give opposing DC's nightmares, the O can have different looks pre-snap with the exact same formation but just swapping these 2 guys in/out for one another.

Off the top of my head, in the past few years in the NFL, I think Carolina from a couple years ago compares to the Texans backfield with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. They were two very effective RBs in that system, but had differing styles, IMO.

So a backup player doing well for an injured star is considered "stealing the spotlight" now? Give me a break. We are a race of over-reactors.

Off the top of my head, in the past few years in the NFL, I think Carolina from a couple years ago compares to the Texans backfield with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. They were two very effective RBs in that system, but had differing styles, IMO.

I would also add Chris Johnson and Lendale White. When those two were together, the Titans were a very good team. They played good defense and won games in the 4th quarter. If they had a lead on you, it was going to be hard to get it back because of their ability to run the football. Problem was Lendale likes the sticky-icky and the group had to break up.

I think the Texans both have two hungry RBs. I'd like the ability to have Arian come in and tire out the defense and get us the big leads and then let him sit while Tate closes for us with his pounding running style. However, to me the only problem is that both backs seem to get better with more carries and as the game goes on.

In the long run, it will be tough and also expensive to keep both on the team if they perform as expected. This won't last forever, because one of them is going to eventually cash in with someone else. But for this year, we're good and hopefully Foster comes back and we tear up the league with them.

Tate isn't stealing anything from Foster. It just looks like that because Ben has been on the field and Arian hasn't. This is a production league and being on the field is what gets you noticed.

I feel they have two distinctive running styles. Arian just looks so damn smooth and fluid when he runs, long strides.

While Tate can do the one cut our ZBS calls for, he then just looks ahead and hits people.

Both awesome at what they do yet almost entirely different.

I noticed his stride last year. He looks like no other runner I've ever seen. He is deceptively fast, he can accelerate with out defenders realizing it.

Let's keep in mind, the job was Tate's for the taking before he got hurt. High Draft Pick vs UDFA. I wonder how things would've played out last year had Tate not gotten hurt? I love having this problem...as opposed to give Tony Hollings a shot!

Back