Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement

The problem with a 17 game regular season is that some teams will have 9 home games and 8 away games. I suppose they would have to alternate each season so the teams that have 8 homes and 9 road games would switch. Unless the NFL continues this London - Mexico City bullshit and force every team to go there to play at least one game every season.

The problem with a 17 game regular season is that some teams will have 9 home games and 8 away games. I suppose they would have to alternate each season so the teams that have 8 homes and 9 road games would switch. Unless the NFL continues this London - Mexico City bullshit and force every team to go there to play at least one game every season.

We're on the same page......8-8-1. That 1 game will be for the international markets.

Looks like it's only a matter of time now until we have a 17 game schedule and 7 playoff teams per conference with only each number 1 seed getting a bye.

And I absolutely loathe both of these ideas.

The NFL schedule and playoff format is the only perfect one in all of sports. Was, was the only perfect one in sports. F*ck we just can't have nice things..

I'm glad we're going to get 17 games. Atleast I dont have to pay for a 4th useless preseason game that I rarely attend.

I also dont have an issue with the new playoff format because only the best team in the NFL will get a bye and this should create more competition in weeks 17-18 of the NFL season.

What I really hope happens is if they're going to have a 17 game schedule they add a 2nd bye week. That would move the SB back to Presidents day. What they really should do is move the SB from Sunday to Saturday.

Looks like it's only a matter of time now until we have a 17 game schedule and 7 playoff teams per conference with only each number 1 seed getting a bye.

The NFL schedule and playoff format is the only perfect one in all of sports. Was, was the only perfect one in sports. F*ck we just can't have nice things..

I'm ambivalent about the 17 game schedule. As a fan, 17 games = more football! But, I also understand the inherent nature of one more game, especially one that is added on to an already grueling 17 weeks.

I'm in complete agreement with you about adding more playoff spots. This just waters down the post season and most likely gives us more of those weak playoff games that do nothing to add to the excitement of post-season. And inevitably, the 1st seeds will reveal a distinct advantage with just two games to play, and the NFL will expand to a 16 team format where half the league makes the cut. What then, add more teams to an already stretched talent pool?

Yep. I think that 17th game for everyone will be international. Expand the brand at all costs. The owners don't have enough money.

I'm ambivalent about the 17 game schedule. As a fan, 17 games = more football! But, I also understand the inherent nature of one more game, especially one that is added on to an already grueling 17 weeks.

I'm in complete agreement with you about adding more playoff spots. This just waters down the post season and most likely gives us more of those weak playoff games that do nothing to add to the excitement of post-season. And inevitably, the 1st seeds will reveal a distinct advantage with just two games to play, and the NFL will expand to a 16 team format where half the league makes the cut. What then, add more teams to an already stretched talent pool?

Yep. I think that 17th game for everyone will be international. Expand the brand at all costs. The owners don't have enough money.

Great post

It really has been and always will be about the $$$$.

NFL ownership approves terms of potential new CBA
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 20, 2020 at 04:16 p.m.
  • Updated: Feb. 20, 2020 at 04:42 p.m.
................The union had long hoped to achieve such an increase without adding games, but the league has pushed all along for a lever that would allow them to add games as part of the next TV deal.

In addition to adding a regular-season game and shortening the preseason to three games, as expected, the new proposal would expand the playoff field from 12 teams to 14 teams in 2020. That means only one team per conference would earn a bye.

No change has been made to the number of teams eligible to make the postseason since the playoffs were expanded to 12 teams in 1990.

Other changes include an increase in the performance bonus pool, an increase in benefits and a larger acclimation period for players to start training camp, Pelissero and Rapoport reported.....................

Last edited:
Great post

It really has been and always will be about the $$$$.

Sadly, it seems like the $$$ has become the most important thing to the league and owners. To the point that they often talk out of both ends.

Recent article that I think you'll appreciate:

Proposed playoff expansion could be tipping point in NFL's greed

It was nearly six years ago when Mark Cuban, billionaire owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, decided to weigh in on the NFL’s decision to cash another television check by playing a game each Thursday night.

“I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion,” Cuban said back in 2014. “I’m just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting slaughtered. Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

“When you take it too far, people turn the other way. I’m just telling you, when you’ve got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always turns on you. That’s rule No. 1 of business.”

Full Article

Yeah, let's let more mediocre teams in. That always makes things better.

IMHO, there should be one caveat......the 7th team and modified format should only be in play if the last team is at .500 or better.

At least now with a 17 game schedule, there'll be no more .500 teams.

As a fan, I don’t see this affecting me in any way. One more week of real games and eliminating an exhibition game? I’m ok with that. Two more teams in the playoffs? Maybe that means fewer meaningless games in the final week? Who knows?

Are the players in more danger by playing one extra game? Sure. But they were already endangering themselves. My advice would be ask for additional roster spots. But that would make their slice of the pie smaller. We’ll see if the players are as greedy as the owners.

What happens if NFLPA rejects current proposal?
February 20, 2020, 11:03 PM EST

If there were any doubt before today (and there shouldn’t have been), the ball is now on the tee for the NFL Players Association. The question is whether they’ll kick it, or whether they’ll punt.
If the players reject the proposal (and NFLPA Executive Committee member Richard Sherman seems to be strongly against it), what happens next?

The statement issued by the NFL on Thursday suggests that, if there’s no deal before the start of the new league year, there will be no deal this year at all. Which means that the two sides will revisit a possible deal when the current deal expires, after the 2020 season.

And that’s when it could take a serious turn, with the league following one of two paths. First, the league could do what it did in 2011, locking out the players and waiting for them to accept the best offer (whatever it may be) on the eve of players losing real money. (The union would potential disclaim interest again, setting up another antitrust lawsuit against the league for the rules that would be put in place by 32 independent businesses that would lose the benefit of the exemption that comes from having a shared, unionized workforce.)

THE REST OF THE STORY

If there were any doubt before today (and there shouldn’t have been), the ball is now on the tee for the NFL Players Association. The question is whether they’ll kick it, or whether they’ll punt.
If the players reject the proposal (and NFLPA Executive Committee member Richard Sherman seems to be strongly against it), what happens next?

The statement issued by the NFL on Thursday suggests that, if there’s no deal before the start of the new league year, there will be no deal this year at all. Which means that the two sides will revisit a possible deal when the current deal expires, after the 2020 season.

And that’s when it could take a serious turn, with the league following one of two paths. First, the league could do what it did in 2011, locking out the players and waiting for them to accept the best offer (whatever it may be) on the eve of players losing real money. (The union would potential disclaim interest again, setting up another antitrust lawsuit against the league for the rules that would be put in place by 32 independent businesses that would lose the benefit of the exemption that comes from having a shared, unionized workforce.)

THE REST OF THE STORY

It sure would be nice if the fans had a say in this since we basically fund this sport.

Why don't we get a voice in what we'd like to watch and support?

I think too much at stake for owners not to get deal done before this season. Significant cap increase will allow teams to make huge decisions on players that impact them. I guess they could be given an estimate of increase but many of these owners are or have business advisors that want to know exact dollars to spend.

I think too much at stake for owners not to get deal done before this season. Significant cap increase will allow teams to make huge decisions on players that impact them. I guess they could be given an estimate of increase but many of these owners are or have business advisors that want to know exact dollars to spend.

Name one good reason for a cap increase?

Its the worst idea in the world for any sport at this stage if you ask me.

It sure would be nice if the fans had a say in this since we basically fund this sport.

Why don't we get a voice in what we'd like to watch and support?

Our only voice is apathy and ignore the product.

But our tax dollars still get to fund their playgrounds regardless if we pay attention or not. That's the ultimate scam.

Second, the league could simply take the last, best offer made before the two sides reach impasse and implement it, forcing the players either to operate under those terms or to go on strike.

This time around, that could be the approach. And the problem for the players is that the last, best offer made by the league before impasse in 2021 could be worse than the offer currently on the table, especially if the league ends up with less favorable TV deals due to the lack of labor peace, reduced TV ratings in 2020, and/or a potential recession.

So even if some don’t like the current deal, the question becomes what would the best deal be in 2021? And what would the league do to get what it wants?

By next year, the league may decide to peel back the percentage of revenue that the players get and to alter other terms. Indeed, some owners still want to go straight to 18 games; maybe the last, best offer prior to impasse will include two extra regular-season games, not one.

The bottom line remains this: Unless and until players are willing to abandon the game for a year and the compensation that goes along with it, they’ll never have truly equal bargaining power when staring down owners who have more than enough money to finance their lifestyles even if the league shuts down for a full season or longer. The strike of 1987 and the lockout of 2011 serve only to bolster the belief that the players collectively and individually won’t take a stand and stick to it.

THE REST OF THE STORY

NFLPA scraps planned vote on CBA by player reps
Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2020, 4:04 PM EST

The expectation was that a Friday NFL Players Association conference call featuring player representatives from all 32 teams would include a vote about whether they would recommend the proposed Collective Bargaining Agreement to the full membership of the union, but that did not happen.

The NFLPA announced that no vote will take place. The NFLPA executive committee, which negotiated with team owners on the proposed deal, voted 6-5 against recommending it earlier in the day.

In a statement, the union said the executive committee hopes to meet with the NFL management council executive committee in Indianapolis at the Scouting Combine next week. A vote would then follow that meeting, although it is not clear which issues have led to the change in plans.

It is also unclear what the response will be from the owners side of the table. Their statement after approving the proposed deal on Thursday said “the membership also approved moving forward under the final year of the 2011 CBA if the players decided not to approve the negotiated terms,” which suggests that they may not be as willing to sit back down for negotiations as the players seem to be.

Looks like the team player reps will not be making decisions regarding taking votes to the general membership..........the NFLA executive committee will bypass their own team reps. Dan Graziano of ESPN.com has reported that the pending CBA proposal will go to the full membership even if fewer than two-thirds of the board of player representatives vote for it.

NFL, NFLPA agree to delay franchise tag decisions by two days
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2020, 8:10 PM EST

In a possible sign that the league and the union expect some clarity on Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations in the middle of next week, the two sides have agreed to push back the date on which teams can start putting franchise tags on players.

The NFL had previously announced that franchise and transition tags had to be applied between February 25 and March 10, but NFL Media reported today that those dates have now been changed, so that franchise and transition tags can be applied between February 27 and March 12.

Moving the dates back two days comes as the NFL Players Association plans to vote next week on whether to accept the owners’ offer for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Teams want to know before they place the franchise or transition tags whether a new CBA will come to fruition, and today’s news means teams will be able to make that decision after the players’ union membership is expected to vote.

The timing is particularly important for the Cowboys, Buccaneers and Titans, three teams that would probably like to use both the franchise tag and the transition tag — if both are available to them, which they won’t know for sure until the players vote on the CBA proposal.

NFL, NFLPA agree to delay franchise tag decisions by two days
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 22, 2020, 8:10 PM EST

In a possible sign that the league and the union expect some clarity on Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations in the middle of next week, the two sides have agreed to push back the date on which teams can start putting franchise tags on players.

The NFL had previously announced that franchise and transition tags had to be applied between February 25 and March 10, but NFL Media reported today that those dates have now been changed, so that franchise and transition tags can be applied between February 27 and March 12.

Moving the dates back two days comes as the NFL Players Association plans to vote next week on whether to accept the owners’ offer for a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Teams want to know before they place the franchise or transition tags whether a new CBA will come to fruition, and today’s news means teams will be able to make that decision after the players’ union membership is expected to vote.

The timing is particularly important for the Cowboys, Buccaneers and Titans, three teams that would probably like to use both the franchise tag and the transition tag — if both are available to them, which they won’t know for sure until the players vote on the CBA proposal.
I dunno but you do know far more about these negotiations than I do C&D but isn't it shaping so far for this new CBA to be wrapped up with relatively little acrimony, or does there remain a real possibility that folks could still get real chippy ?

I dunno but you do know far more about these negotiations than I do C&D but isn't it shaping so far for this new CBA to be wrapped up with relatively little acrimony, or does there remain a real possibility that folks could still get real chippy ?
The players are being given a much better deal than they ever were with the last CBA. Yet there seems to be attempt at derailing final agreement by a number of greedy high profile souls. The players have always been known to screw up quite promising deals by seemingly never being satisfied............they tend to want many things promised and shared, whether they perform well or not..........and not take a plunge with the owners if/when circumstances turn south. Just like the last CBA, it's always the same, we want much more money for much less work...............They tend to try to play chicken........a game they can never win. The longer they screw around, the more likely new broadcast contracts will be delayed............and the less money available to them in the end.

Name one good reason for a cap increase?

Its the worst idea in the world for any sport at this stage if you ask me.
It allows lower pay players to make up for years they play above their contracts. Focus usually on the few high $ second contracts like Watt, Hop. Etc but many regular guys triple income on second deals. Owners cashing so should players.

I agree with CnD. Millionaires fighting billionaires is uninteresting and boring. A part of me wants the whole thing to collapse just to watch everyone cry in their wheaties. LOL

The players continue to whittle down their practices in numbers and in contact in the name of concussions.........an questionable concern in the big picture. The quality of play the beginning of the season will continue to deteriorate.
********************************************************************************************

THE 17-GAME SEASON A CONTENTIOUS ISSUE

The most contentious issue, of course, is adding a 17th game to the regular-season schedule. Several owners pushed early for 18; the players said it was a non-starter. Nobody on the players’ side wanted 17 games. They shouldn’t. It’s hypocritical for a league that preaches health and safety and has spent millions to whittle away at the concussion scourge. “We hate 17 games,” said one man from the union side. But this person said it was far and away the priority issue for the owners. So the NFLPA began to ask for things to nip away at the physical toll of a 17th game for the players—the reduction of padded and helmeted practice in training camp from 28 to 16, along with mandated reductions in three-hour practice times, and limiting to four the number of days in camp that teams could practice against other teams.

In practicality, the reduction of padded practices with one fewer preseason game should contribute to fewer concussions—players wouldn’t be going full-speed in the 12 practices per team without pads, and one fewer preseason game. Last year, there were 30 concussions suffered in NFL preseason practices and about 49 in preseason games. (The 49 could be an outlier; there were 34 suffered in preseason games the previous year.) During the 2019 regular season, there was an average of 8.0 concussions per week. Theoretically, the league could amass fewer concussions even with a 17th game because of 12 fewer padded practices and 16 fewer preseason games.

But players would say, and rightfully, that with two more playoff games on wild-card weekend, and 16 more games that count in the regular season, it’s possible that concussions could go up league-wide. Why? Quarterbacks, the NFL’s prized players, are not hit in training camp. Most veterans know how to practice in August to limit the big hits. And playing 6 percent more football in a year (an average of 60 or so plays for the busiest starting players) is simply going to mean a bigger risk of injury. In games that count late in the season, played by players worn down from the season, soft-tissue injuries and the potential long-term effect of playing important games with injuries that would be best served with rest is not easy to measure. In some cases, you won’t see the effects for years.

Last edited:
Owners keep throwing dollars at players but that doesn't balance more injuries but I expect players to go for the cash. Worry about injuries if and when.

It allows lower pay players to make up for years they play above their contracts. Focus usually on the few high $ second contracts like Watt, Hop. Etc but many regular guys triple income on second deals. Owners cashing so should players.

No, players don't need to keep making more and more money in a sport where people thought they made a ton of money over 20 years ago. They get a lot more income opportunities now days then they did before outside of football as well. All of that creates athletes that are less motivated and with worse attitudes. The higher inflated guaranteed contracts are a huge reason on why the NBA is destroyed.

No, players don't need to keep making more and more money in a sport where people thought they made a ton of money over 20 years ago. They get a lot more income opportunities now days then they did before outside of football as well. All of that creates athletes that are less motivated and with worse attitudes. The higher inflated guaranteed contracts are a huge reason on why the NBA is destroyed.
It will never fail................give the players more guaranteed money that cannot be taken back for any reason.............and they become petulant kids............"You're not my father...You can't make me do that!"

1582571228271.png

Attachments

• 1582571193419.png
    1582571193419.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 2

I'd have no problem with an athlete getting a guaranteed contract....as long as the contract is reasonable. Problem is owners can't police themselves and fall prey to the fan pressure. As a result, you see overrated bums like Kirk Cousins getting ridiculous money. So if you really wanna blame someone blame the fans.

They're the ones putting pressure on the owners to win & win now.
They're the ones boosting these players egos via social media and straight up hero worshipping.
& They're the ones that continue to show up to games when the product is awful.

As for the rest of what you're talking about, that applies mostly to the upper crust guys of the NFL...basically qbs. Guys like Charles James and Taiwan Jones hanging on in the league for dear life aren't really getting those outside income opportunities like that.

The NBA is just a **** product now for me mostly for these 5 reasons

Prime time games consist of the same 3-5 teams b/c the league is marketed towards individual personalities as opposed to teams like the NFL is.
Flopping is at an all time high
Nerds have effectively helped to make the mid range game extinct
Too many games to care on a day to day basis
No real rivalries anymore..Guys are too friendly

Guaranteed contracts are just an afterthought when i think of what sickens me about the NBA these days.

It will never fail................give the players more guaranteed money that cannot be taken back for any reason.............and they become petulant kids............"You're not my father...You can't make me do that!"

View attachment 5673

I'll never understand the lack of intelligence people have in these discussions where they encourage athletes to be paid more when they are already over paid and we already have a problem where so many great ones throw their careers away out of arrogance, wrecklessness, and invincibility. Guaranteeing Millions and Millions of dollars can do that to someone real fast who doesn't already have strong will power and a head on their shoulders.

From 2018
As it has regularly since 1937, Gallup polled Americans with the question: What is your favorite sport to watch? Football remained king, but basketball surpassed baseball as America’s second-favorite spectator sport. More surprising, though, might be the fact that soccer is hot on baseball’s heels, too.
Despite the controversies surrounding football, including the NFL’s mishandling of domestic violence and concussion issues, 37 percent of Americans polled named it their favorite sport to watch. That number is a 6 percent drop from the height of football’s popularity a decade ago, but it still more than triples the number of respondents who favored basketball (11 percent) and baseball (9 percent).
From 2020:
NBA franchises are richer than they have ever been, making the overall quality better. Forbes understands that the average valuation of an NBA franchise is $1.65 billion, which increased by over 20% in just a year. The league produces billions of dollars worth of revenue year, and TV audiences are growing. All of this money is going back into making the sport better, with training facilities improving all of the time.

2017: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/home-page/nba-nfl-nhl-nba-which-is-sport-of-the-future

2019 out of USA fandom https://www.forbes.com/sites/shlomo...tball-worlds-most-popular-sport/#3ae7929151b0

ending 2019 ratings down but attendance up
“I’m not surprised that our ratings are down thus far,” Silver told The Washington Post by telephone from New York on Thursday. “I’m not concerned, either. In terms of every other key indicator that we look at that measures the popularity of the league, we’re up. We’re up in attendance over a record-setting high from last year. Social media engagement remains in the magnitude of 1.6 billion people on a global basis. Our League Pass viewership is up. Our merchandising sales are up.

I'll never understand the lack of intelligence people have in these discussions where they encourage athletes to be paid more when they are already over paid and we already have a problem where so many great ones throw their careers away out of arrogance, wrecklessness, and invincibility. Guaranteeing Millions and Millions of dollars can do that to someone real fast who doesn't already have strong will power and a head on their shoulders.
I told John Granato who was preaching your POV "Players way overpaid for playing a game and you are way overpaid for 'talking' about players playing a game." My line went dead and then he and his co-worker or guest trashed me. Do I get to decide how much you get paid? Yes IMO most athletes are overpaid but same can be said of the owner of the newspaper by the guy who writes for the newspaper who is thought to be overpaid by the person delivering the newspaper at 3 am. Again I clarify my highest issue is with GTD money not total amounts necessarily

Signs point toward interconference matchups for 17th game
Posted by Mike Florio on February 24, 2020, 6:28 PM EST

The NFL hasn’t provided the NFL Players Association with many/any details regarding how a 17th regular-season game would be implemented. On Monday, Packers CEO Mark Murphy shared one very important aspect of the extra game with Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

Via Maske, Murphy said that all teams in one conference would have nine home games one season and then eight home games the next season. This points directly to the 17th game pitting each of the 16 teams from one conference against the 16 teams from the other conference, pushing the total interconference games played each year by every team from four to five.

As explained in October, the league crafted the perfect formula in 2002, when the Texans joined the league and the number of teams hit an even 32. Currently, each team plays: (1) the other three teams in its own division twice; (2) all four teams from one of the other divisions in its conference, on a three-year rotating basis; (3) all four teams from one of the divisions in the other conference, on a four-year rotating basis; and (4) the teams from the other two divisions in its own conference that finished in the same position during the prior year.
THE REST OF THE STORY

It appears that a meeting between the NFL and NFLPA is due to convene 5 PM this evening. It is scheduled to be attended by the full NFL Management Council, the full NFLPA Executive Committee and the full board of player representatives. It would be difficult to predict the results. This is a serious "convention" which will either end with some real progress to a final signing............or in sides bloodied and filled with vile feelings of revenge.

The CBA meeting today lasted 4 hours.........everyone is tight-lipped regarding the final terms presented. However, it appears that the owners did not make any financial offer changes, outside of presenting how players with existing contracts would be paid for a 17th game.............all taken out of the agreed upon salary cap total.

Replay review for pass interference currently lacks the votes to survive
February 25, 2020, 6:41 PM EST

Replay review for pass interference needs 24 votes to survive. Which likely means it’s not surviving.
According to Judy Battista of the NFL, an annual postseason survey from the NFL Competition Committee resulted in 21 teams being against making the rule permanent and 17 teams being against extending it for a year.

While opinions can change between now and the annual NFL meetings in late March, either approach — permanent implementation or one-year extension — will require 24 affirmative votes.

The challenge for the league will be to come up with some other approach, in order to avoid another Rams-Saints postseason debacle. The most practical (and cheapest) approach, frankly, could be for the league office to be ready to intervene via the replay-review pipeline if/when a truly egregious error in a stand-alone game happens.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Replay review for pass interference currently lacks the votes to survive
February 25, 2020, 6:41 PM EST

Replay review for pass interference needs 24 votes to survive. Which likely means it’s not surviving.
According to Judy Battista of the NFL, an annual postseason survey from the NFL Competition Committee resulted in 21 teams being against making the rule permanent and 17 teams being against extending it for a year.

While opinions can change between now and the annual NFL meetings in late March, either approach — permanent implementation or one-year extension — will require 24 affirmative votes.

The challenge for the league will be to come up with some other approach, in order to avoid another Rams-Saints postseason debacle. The most practical (and cheapest) approach, frankly, could be for the league office to be ready to intervene via the replay-review pipeline if/when a truly egregious error in a stand-alone game happens.
THE REST OF THE STORY

They made a farce out of this so they could go back to more easily rigging games. The XFL shows how things should be done if the NFL were serious about getting calls right.

Back