Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

New Tailgate Policy

If this becomes confirmed (and I tend to believe it will be):

There was a caller into 610, who identified himself as having a sister working ticket parking, stating that the reason that season ticket holders couldn't even get into their paid for-parking lots (because they were full) is that on-site $50 dollar parking lot tickets were being sold to non ticket holders..........and he was one of them. He stated that this accounted for an additional $30,000 into the coffers of Bob McNair. He also stated that the NFL contacted the Texans, ordering them to stop this practice immediately.

610 Vandemeer will be looking into this. If this is indeed the case, it and other unknown Texans practices may be related to an adverse NFL response and the immediate implimentation of the "new policy." If the facts are confirmed, it's a pretty sad self-generated situation.
So, the TEXANS created this problem and now they're upset?

Texans rep said this morning that they will be checking ALL pedestrians for tickets, so if you're meeting someone there for a ticket, you'd better plan that meeting in advance (same for will call).
That doesn't mesh with JB's response that stated he will be able to get to will call for his pass. Sounds like the newest excuse for non-ticketed fans...."I gotta go to will call!"

I wonder how they came up with "up to 2000" will be sold, with up to 4 per season ticket holder, based on about 62,000 total season ticket holders?
Absolutely ridiculous. It's a phantom number based on the number the Texans think they can make $$ off of. I guarantee you if they relaize that they can sell more, then they'll start jacking up the numbers. (Which will prove that it's NOT about fan safety / enjoyment, it's about more $$ to the Texans.)

No.... I am hearing second hand that season ticket holders who showed up a bit later could not find parking in the lot they paid to park in 5 months ago because of parking passes being sold at the gate - which has been against policy for a year or two now.

2,000 should be a good number, my concern is how many of these are going straight to Ebay?
Once again, if the Texans created this PARKING problem, then they needed to stick by their own "NO CASH LOTS!" policy.

The 2,000 passes will have Zero effect on any parking situation, because pedestrians don't park. My fight on the streets to get into the lot wasn't due to pedestrians, but poor traffic flow engineering.

IMHO - (And who knows, maybe I'm in the minority here) Why mess with something that works? The "extra people" in the lots had ZIP to do with how long it took me to get parked. I LIKE a packed house and full lots as part of the Gameday experience. One of the most depresssing things to me when the Platinum lot was created was the lack of fans in it.

Last edited:
Oh, great. I finally will be going to my first Texans game in a couple of weeks on my birthday, and now I better scramble to get a parking pass. I have a feeling the prices are gonna double.

Oh, great. I finally will be going to my first Texans game in a couple of weeks on my birthday, and now I better scramble to get a parking pass. I have a feeling the prices are gonna double.

I'm not clear why you need to scramble to get a parking pass?

The Texans have not sold cash parking passes for about 2 years now (and if you didn't know that, that stinks), last week, if true, was a fluke (and a mistake IMHO).

I'm not clear why you need to scramble to get a parking pass?

The Texans have not sold cash parking passes for about 2 years now, last week, if true, was a fluke (and a mistake IMHO).

I'm talking about the ones available on craigslist, stub hub, etc. Blue parking goes for around $60 at the moment. This new policy might encourage the resellers to jack up the price.

I'm talking about the ones available on craigslist, stub hub, etc. Blue parking goes for around $60 at the moment. This new policy might encourage the resellers to jack up the price.

Not so sure about that.. Having a parking pass still does not allow one to tailgate unless you have a game ticket or a tailgate pass...Buying a parking pass now does not grant you tailgating rights as in the past...

Not so sure about that.. Having a parking pass still does not allow one to tailgate unless you have a game ticket or a tailgate pass...Buying a parking pass now does not grant you tailgating rights as in the past...

Hobie speaks the truth.

Parking Pass: You can park your car in the lot.

Tailgate Guest Pass: You can enter the parking lot, but not the game.

Game Ticket: You can enter the parking lot and the game.

Just because you have a parking pass doesnt mean you can enter the parking lot. You have to have either a game ticket or a tailgating guest pass. Parking passes on work in conjunction with the game ticket or tailgating guest pass.

Big over reaction by Jaime Roots and the rest of the Texans brass. They should have waited until the Giants game to notice that everything will be back to normal.....especially if the Texans lose to the Raiders. :cricket::cricket:

They should have just focused on the next cowboys visit in eight years.

Well..

Last week everyone was complaining that the parking and tailgating was a mess, and I have to agree. I was there at 8:15 and it took me 20 minutes to park, and another 20 minutes to get over to the Blue Crew, from the BLUE lot.. It was ridiculous and I just don't see how they can maintain that type of atmosphere as the Texans continue to become more successful. They are going to have to do something it is getting out of control.

You can't have 500k people show up and be able to maintain order without extra people, people need jobs, and money so hey maybe it'll stimulate the jobs in the area a bit! :)

I would think the price will go down because there will be fewer buyer? The folks who previous bought parking passes JUST to tailgate have been (mostly) eliminated from the martket? Maybe not?

Hobie speaks the truth.

Parking Pass: You can park your car in the lot.

Tailgate Guest Pass: You can enter the parking lot, but not the game.

Game Ticket: You can enter the parking lot and the game.

Just because you have a parking pass doesnt mean you can enter the parking lot. You have to have either a game ticket or a tailgating guest pass. Parking passes on work in conjunction with the game ticket or tailgating guest pass.

If last week's cash parking truly was a fluke, then it's probably OK. But if there's always been a few thousand cash "under the radar" passes going unnoticed, demand for the real thing will increase.

If last week's cash parking truly was a fluke, then it's probably OK. But if there's always been a few thousand cash "under the radar" passes going unnoticed, demand for the real thing will increase.

My second hand knowledge:

Years ago, you pulled up with a parking pass and had a huge trailer, you bought more passes at the gate for the trailer.

The Texans halted that due to complaints that the gate sale of parking pass resulted in all kinds of issues.

To my knowledge last week was the first week they did it again in a few years, if indeed they were selling them. And if they were, egg on their face for it.

You guys are the ones who are gonna screw up the parking by complaining. You are dealing with the NFL and they do not know you personally. You are a number to them so do not worry about it. I like to tailgate and I do not need you screwing it up for me.

"All visitors to Reliant Park MUST have a game ticket or other team-issued credential to be on the Reliant Park grounds on Houston Texans home game days." (From The Texan Email)

A parking pass is a team-issued credential, so as I read this, if I have a parking pass, I am able to enter the grounds in my vehicle, and am legally on the grounds, therfore I can tailgate.

I am a season ticket holder since 02', and have a few parking passes. I think this policy is mainly to discourage the walk up crowd that load up wagons and coolers, and walk into the lots before game time.

This is a good thing.

Remember, there is also a policy on big speakers in the lots, but I still seem them in each lot.

Blame it on the violence, its better than no tailgating at all right? Like the old Astrodome days.

So I can't just randomly show up after church and hang with the Blue-Crew because a bunch of Cowgirl fans showed up and elected to be the complete *grass holes we've always thought them to be? And they wonder why we don't Duckin' like em!

*Grassholes...are holes in grass :thisbig:

You guys are the ones who are gonna screw up the parking by complaining. You are dealing with the NFL and they do not know you personally. You are a number to them so do not worry about it. I like to tailgate and I do not need you screwing it up for me.

Aww come on! Good law abiding folks who have been tailgating for years with or without a ticket are just wanting to keep tradition and support going and are being unjustly held back because of idiots can't act right. I don't blame them for complaining. But everyone shouldn't have to suffer.

A parking pass is a team-issued credential, so as I read this, if I have a parking pass, I am able to enter the grounds in my vehicle, and am legally on the grounds, therfore I can tailgate.

Would you really make that argument with a straight face? A parking pass is not a team credential. Team credentials are for media, employees, special guests, etc and hang around your neck.

They are also trying to discourage Bubba who buys a parking pass on Ebay and rolls up with a truck full of people and not on person in the truck has a game ticket.

So I can't just randomly show up after church and hang with the Blue-Crew because a bunch of Cowgirl fans showed up and elected to be the complete *grass holes we've always thought them to be? And they wonder why we don't Duckin' like em!

*Grassholes...are holes in grass :thisbig:

I would assert this does not affect you - because if you asked any one of us would buy a tailgate ticket for you.

"All visitors to Reliant Park MUST have a game ticket or other team-issued credential to be on the Reliant Park grounds on Houston Texans home game days." (From The Texan Email)

Again, a parking pass isnt enough to enter the parking lot. You must have a game ticket or tailgate guest pass for each person in the vehicle with you. PERIOD.

Would you really make that argument with a straight face? A parking pass is not a team credential. Team credentials are for media, employees, special guests, etc and hang around your neck.

They are also trying to discourage Bubba who buys a parking pass on Ebay and rolls up with a truck full of people and not on person in the truck has a game ticket.

I personally won't have a problem with this since I do have tickets and ample parking. All I am saying is that the team issues game tickets, parking passes, tailgating tickets, media credentials. If I want to have my buddy meet us in the lot, why can't I just give him a parking pass for the game? That gets him into the lot. He just won't be able to walk in to tailgate. I think everything will work itself out in time anyway. It needed to be dealt with because things got way out of hand the last few games.

If I want to have my buddy meet us in the lot, why can't I just give him a parking pass for the game?

Because they're trying to eliminate tailgaters who don't have tickets to the game, period. Right or wrong, that is their intent.

They've given a work around where you can give your buddy a $10 tailgate only ticket that gets him in the lot be it on foot or by car.

I actually thought the cowboys game seemed like it was very well organized.

My car had three people in it(all with tickets) and we got to the stadium around 10 to meet a few people to tailgate before the game and had no traffic problems at all.

I also noticed during introductions and kickoff, it was the most fans I have seen in the seats in a LONG time maybe since the first game at Reliant. I know some people had problems but just by the amount of fans in the seats it could not have been that much of a problem.

After the game, it took around 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot. That is around what it normally takes(this was my first time I parked in the blue lot because I normally always park in the red).

I just don't see how you can say it was the Texans organizations fault because it seemed that they had double the amount of people as usual and MOST of the fans seemed to be in the stadium before hand.

*This is just regarding entering parking lots/the stadium.

Has this made the rounds on here? GHETTO!!! And these are the types of folks the Texans hope will be eliminated from tailgating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ-JBXLFWkg&has_verified=1

From what I read in the comments, they are blaming that puncher for all of whats happened regarding this new policy and looking to identify him to HPD so he can be charged with assault. Hey I'm all for this piece of trash as being the scapegoat, make him public enemy #1.

I just reread the e-mail and here is my thought.

Maybe they are not going to check everybody coming in. If someone is a problem while tailgating, they ask to see their ticket, and if they don't produce one, they are gone from the premises.

That way they have grounds to remove someone from the parking lot because they don't have a ticket (which is easy to determine) and don't have to bother with the disturbance issue. It would be cut and dry...

The NFL isn't responsible for this debacle, the Texans organization is.

To the Texans, I am indeed a number, a PSL number, a ticket # and a Parking Space number. To that effect, I would be remiss if I didn't inform them of my displeasure in a NEW policy that I feel will only degrade my "gameday experience".

On another note: I wonder what the parking pass legalese reads like? If the pass entitles the bearer to a space before, during and after the game, the Texans might run into legal issues for "changing the rules" in the middle of the game, so to speak. Next year, the parking passes can say whatever, but if there's ANY documentation provided by the Texans that states the "entitlement" to the space exists, then, as long as you're NOT a pedestrian, it'll be hard to enforce.

Maybe they are not going to check everybody coming in. If someone is a problem while tailgating, they ask to see their ticket, and if they don't produce one, they are gone from the premises.

That way they have grounds to remove someone from the parking lot because they don't have a ticket (which is easy to determine) and don't have to bother with the disturbance issue. It would be cut and dry...

My thoughts exactly. This gives them the authority to get rid of the trash if there is a problem.

Has this made the rounds on here? GHETTO!!! And these are the types of folks the Texans hope will be eliminated from tailgating:

This happened on the red lot this past Sunday. Gang related fight that sent fans to the hosp. People were able to get on ANY lot without a ticket to the game, OR a parking pass. These dudes just walked onto the lot and caused a fight. I can see a lot more of this crap happening as Texan tailgating becomes more and more popular. PEOPLE, not just fans, wanting someplace to hang out on a nice Sunday afternoon, drinking, partying, and stealing whatever they can find. We made the news this past year as America's #1 tailgate, now we pay the price.

For me, I'm just tired of HOUSTON Cowboy and Titan fans roaming our lots like they were their own. BY GAWD this is TEXAN territory and we need to remember that!! We had problems this past weekend simply because Houston Cowboy fans decided to take over, and WE allowed that to happen. The Texans are not all to blame. I blame the PSL owners who sold out to Cowboy fans for huge profit. YOU caused this major F-up, so don't blame anyone but yourselves, and quit bitching about something YOU caused!!! JMO! Cowboy fans came in by the truckloads! There were over 20,000 in the parking areas during the game. Are we so dense to think that these people came from Dallas?? Face it! THere are more Cowboy and Titan fans in Houston than Texan fans. Sad, but true!! This is OUR house, buy a ticket or stay at home!!! JMO!!

They can already kick you off the property if you're a troublemaker, regardless if you have a ticket to the game or not.

According to Texans rep, Jaime Roots, this morning on the radio, they are stating that they will check ALL pedestrian traffic and a majority of vehicles into the lots.

I think this is unrealistic, to be honest, and the delays will definitely cause season ticket holders to stand up and holler the next day.

I can see both sides, but the organization has to serve the paying customers' best interests first and foremost. That's just Business 101, and a few individual inconveniences is very minor compared to serving the needs of season ticket holders.

Let's just face it in today's society the few always ruin it for the many, and if the Texans don't start enforcing something it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt and then the Texans get sued for not enforcing policies and then they shutdown tailgating as a whole.

Sometimes I wonder about people these days..

Man, that's awlful. And that guy is probably so proud of himself. What a loser. He will eventually end up in prison.

And what's really bad, is it's all Texans fans fighting each other in that video.
Couldn't someone be wearing a Cowboys jersey???

Man, that's awlful. And that guy is probably so proud of himself. What a loser. He will eventually end up in prison.

And what's really bad, is it's all Texans fans fighting each other in that video.
Couldn't someone be wearing a Cowboys jersey???

I noticed that, too. Many folks are blaming Cowboys fans, but the fights that I've seen on video and heard about have all been Texans on Texans. That is sad and pathetic for so many reasons.

Don't like this rule.

Total knee jerk reaction to the Cowboy game. I'll be emailing the Texans headquarters about this. Either that and or sending a letter. Tailgating has been a great experience for us for a long time with no problems. The Texans need front office need to stop acting like they can't be problem solvers and up security for rivalry games like this where fans from another city are this close. The tailgating experience is supposed to be #1 here, and now they're creating rules that have the ability to cause all sorts of problems.

This happened on the red lot this past Sunday. Gang related fight that sent fans to the hosp. People were able to get on ANY lot without a ticket to the game, OR a parking pass. These dudes just walked onto the lot and caused a fight. I can see a lot more of this crap happening as Texan tailgating becomes more and more popular. PEOPLE, not just fans, wanting someplace to hang out on a nice Sunday afternoon, drinking, partying, and stealing whatever they can find. We made the news this past year as America's #1 tailgate, now we pay the price.

For me, I'm just tired of HOUSTON Cowboy and Titan fans roaming our lots like they were their own. BY GAWD this is TEXAN territory and we need to remember that!! We had problems this past weekend simply because Houston Cowboy fans decided to take over, and WE allowed that to happen. The Texans are not all to blame. I blame the PSL owners who sold out to Cowboy fans for huge profit. YOU caused this major F-up, so don't blame anyone but yourselves, and quit bitching about something YOU caused!!! JMO! Cowboy fans came in by the truckloads! There were over 20,000 in the parking areas during the game. Are we so dense to think that these people came from Dallas?? Face it! THere are more Cowboy and Titan fans in Houston than Texan fans. Sad, but true!! This is OUR house, buy a ticket or stay at home!!! JMO!!

I had a friend get cracked over the head with a beer bottle . A group threw a football and broke a window . My friends group asked them to stop throwing the ball . The ball was thrown right at them and the guy slicing the brisket stabbed the ball . The thrower and over a dozen of his friends came over to the guy with the broke window and who stabbed the ball and started beating him . My friend said that he couldn't just sit there and when he tried to get the guys off , a longneck was broke over his forehead .

If I was a ticket holder , psl owning , parking pass owning fan , I would be happy with the new rules . It's a game not the lolapooloza or wwf .

I had a friend get cracked over the head with a beer bottle . A group threw a football and broke a window . My friends group asked them to stop throwing the ball . The ball was thrown right at them and the guy slicing the brisket stabbed the ball . The thrower and over a dozen of his friends came over to the guy with the broke window and who stabbed the ball and started beating him . My friend said that he couldn't just sit there and when he tried to get the guys off , a longneck was broke over his forehead .

If I was a ticket holder , psl owning , parking pass owning fan , I would be happy with the new rules . It's a game not the lolapooloza or wwf .

There seems to be a huge assumption that ALL of the "riff-raff" didn't have tickets to the game. Yes, I'm aware of the percentages for this LAST game, but extrapolating those numbers to the entire season just doesn't make sense. We've only had one real fight in the Blue Crew and that was caused by a Titan fan who HAD been inside Reliant. Having a "pass / ticket/etc." doesn't cure drunkenness, stupidity or violence.

Damn straight. The riff raff has been increasing at tailgates for a while now... not just this past game. My buddies GF got punched in the face by a dude and then his buddies jumped my buddy after he tried to defend her. Same riff raff that this organization is trying to keep out. How else are they supposed to do it? The Texans tailgating was superior long before the riff raff starting showing up just for the partying. No reason it wont still be great.

I personally dont understand the need to go out to a parking lot to party if you are not actually going to the game. I would much rather go to a friends house or throw a watching party without all the hassle and the tease of not actually being able to go into the stadium.

Great rule. But I just doubt they are going to be able to enforce it.

There seems to be a huge assumption that ALL of the "riff-raff" didn't have tickets to the game. Yes, I'm aware of the percentages for this LAST game, but extrapolating those numbers to the entire season just doesn't make sense. We've only had one real fight in the Blue Crew and that was caused by a Titan fan who HAD been inside Reliant. Having a "pass / ticket/etc." doesn't cure drunkenness, stupidity or violence.

I think that there's social tailgaiting and then there's the nfl hooligans . If a person doesn't have anything invested ( except a case of Miller Lite ) , he/she doesn't have anything to lose . If a person is a guest of a ticket holder , then their more likely to behave .

Parking lots always draw gangs.
:bat:
I've been a lots where the Skinheads, MS 13, Crips, and Vietnamese gangs all showed up. It was like the United Nations of scumbags. (not at a Texans game, but someplace else)

This is what security is for.

I got a response to my email to fanfeedback.

Dear John,
Thank you for your email and support of the Houston Texans. We appreciate your feedback regarding the new tailgating guidelines. We have been evaluating this since last season for many reasons and this is the best option. If you would like to bring friends that do not have a game ticket please contact our ticket office to purchase the wristband. Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you and have a great day.

GO TEXANS!

Seems like the 2000 is a general rule, not hard and fast. So if you have friends and family who want to go, they'll get you the tailgating only passes.

I'm starting to soften up my stance. $10 actually isn't that bad to tailgate. It may hit some corporate tailgates hard as they try to get large numbers for their clients, but if you have someone you want to bring along, it sounds like you can do it.

Back