New contracts

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

There are.

Claiborne is a guy I would look at

D. Smith is another guy.

I also would look for an impact WR and a guy like Ingram who could be had for a fraction of the price Bell would cost and would be a perfect compliment to Miller.

CWTexansFan and Texas Jake like this.
  2. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

The draft is fairly deep with WR's and if I could get a RD4 for Fuller I would do it, simply b/c he's failed to deliver a full season of production, so what good is that? He's going to become a FA in 2020. If he's down with an injury once again in 2019, might as well cut him versus re-signing him b/c the Texans wouldn't even get a RD7 for him at the end of 2019. There best chance at getting a return, try to trade him this season b/c there's always a team willing to roll the dice.

3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Of course... perhaps the $1 corner in the NFL who wouldn't take a look?
    And yeah Smith is a guy :rolleyes:
    Impact Wr (yah name one) and what makes you think Ingram would want to come here unless you paid him like a Bell?

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

1. They have the cap room to make a play for the number one CB
    2. Same goes for Smith.
    3. I haven't looked at fa WR'S yet
    4 I don't think Ingram is going to get paid like a RB1. Certainly not like Bell is going to get paid. I could be wrong and I hope Ingram gets a really good pay day. At his age this is probably his last chance at a big contract. He's a really good all around RB

5. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

uh-- in 2014 he was suspended 3 days for pot smoking (boarding an airplane). He also admitted to missing tests for pot but received no disciplinary action. NOTHING since and I can find nothing saying he is a concern on this. You really need to bring something more recent or stop :deadhorse over an insignificant pot issue four years ago.

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

3 games and istand by my post.

Kirwan said this along time ago and he knows more about the drug testing program than we do. Not as much as CnD does. I would like to have him weigh in on this.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Today Paul Bretl of Fansided lists Clowney as a high priority target for Green Bay noting Clowney wants huge deal. Points out JD missed 4 games since 2016.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Sifting through some of the Spotrac salary stuff and i found it interesting how the Texans had distributed their money this year, in particular the two most maligned units .. the offensive line and the secondary. The Texans have committed more than 50% of the cap towards the defensive side of the ball ranking them 2nd in the NFL in that respect. Doesnt seem so odd considering that side of the ball seems to have more playmakers and are a more efficient and highly ranked unit. What I found odd was that the Texans spent the MOST money in the league on their secondary!

Not so surprising that they are at the bottom in terms of offensive line spending ranking 28th in the league.

So the argument that the Texans havent invested in the offensive line thus the poor showing doesnt exactly apply to the secondary since the Texans spent the most cap space in the league on that unit. Why could that be?

Seems like just throwing picks and money at a problem area will not be enough if the coaching is substandard on the team and the GM isnt able to identify the free agent acquisitions, for example Aaron Colvin was paid 7.75Ms this year or about 4.14% of the cap ... does anyone feel like the team 'got their moneys worth'?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/positional/2018/full-cap/

9. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

Concerning the secondary - we have several older vets which generally equates to more money. The injury to Colvin didn't help. Not sure how he would have settled into the secondary if he stayed healthy, but from the limited sample size, he looks like a possible miss. We improved the safety position, but injuries and lack of depth at CB really hurt us. It would be nice to add a stud CB in the draft and add a quality veteran CB in FA which would do a lot to fix the secondary heading into next year.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Generally yes, but not in our particular case. JJo is $4.5 mil in 2019. KJax is a bit of a mystery. He will be 31 before training camp and primarily moved to safety, a cheaper position, but he's coming off career highs in passes defensed, tackles & TFL plus 2 FF. Wild stab, hopefully we can sign him for about $8 mil/yr on a 2-3 year deal

OptimisticTexan likes this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed

Gaine has to do better than Colvin in FA.

TexansBull likes this.
  12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Colvin was an avg corner but in his prime years coming off decent 2017 and we over paid which is not unusual in free agency. He only played 30 % snaps this season due to injury and his 2019 cap is $8.75 m. Hopefully he will works his way back (psychological as I posted elsewhere) this off season & be good enough to earn his pay. He will be upside down 2019 but if needed can cut him after that or maybe trade if he has an avg season for a corner who like LTs get huge deals for so so play. Was a high risk/high reward choice but let's pause before crushing him.

Texas Jake likes this.
  13. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

too bad JDC has EXACTLY 93 days before his knee self destructs .. well according to some. :kitten:

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

:spit:

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

maybe and the question of his health is only thing that would put him on market. Only a fool would disregard his or Watt's health and there should be (and probably are) plans for both these players. As I've posted before Texans are in driver seat with JD as they control him for at least two more seasons with tags which would be enticing for a buyer along with his missing so few games while being nominated pro bowler three consecutive seasons.

I think Clowney for Green Bay's 1b (Saints) and 3rd (76) and 4b (Washington) is his value but that could go up as playoffs continue and his productivity.

If we could sign Desean Fuller when Tampa releases, I'd offer Will Fuller to Packers for round 2.44 and their 6th.

Fuller and Clowney would resolve two of Green Bay's priority needs and they would still have 1.12. I would trade completely out of round one getting an amazing haul including some sweet 2020 selections. Part of that trade would get me back into round two for a guard and a starting safety.

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  16. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

We're on the same highway.

17. TejasTom

TejasTom Site Contributor

[​IMG]
    Jackson finished 4th among CBs.

JB and OptimisticTexan like this.
  18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Field Yates ESPN Insider reports Texans paid JD bonus of $1.005 million to settle dispute of what position Clowney should have been paid at for 2018. He was paid at OLB rather than the DE he said. Increase was from $12.306 to $13.31 m. So, standing up or 3 point stance he is paid as an End.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

No, he is paid as a mix.

Now that does mean the franchise tag is more expensive @ a 20% increase, $15.97. Still a savings over DE which was $17.1 in 2018.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor