New contracts

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by badboy, Nov 6, 2018.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Mid season review and bye week and I'm considering in season extensions regardless of past history and current policy. Current cap $20 million 2019 $73 million without reworking Thomas $14m. Your thoughts?

Jadeveon Clowney cap 2018 $12.3 million DOB February 14 1993 25 YOA pro bowler 2016 & 2017 with Watt out; playing with Watt now & racking up comparable stats to last season.

2018 after 9 games: 24 tackles 5.5 sacks 13 QB hits 1 TD and 2 fumble recoveries

I realize safe bet and one I preferred is tagging but if arranged well and Chris Olsen has done exceptional with similar deals I'm ok with extension now. Injuries still relevant.

Tyraan Mathieu cap $ 7 m DOB May 13 1992 26 YOA not only a leader but earning new deal.
    2018 stats: 52 tackles 2 sacks 3 tackles for loss 2 QB hits 5 passes defended 2 INTs 1 F recovered.

We cannot allow this guy to enter FA pay him Rick er Mr. Gaine.

Kareem Jackson cap $ 9 m but actual $= 6.5 m. DOB April 10, 1988 30 YOA. Until season began I had him cut but I was wrong; possibly career best season. Has played almost every snap. Stats despite playing safety and corner: 51 tackles 4 TFLs 10 passes defended 2 INTs 2 FF 1 recovered.
    May be most important FA to re-sign.

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

Matthieu and Kareem are my primary targets. Both so versatile that it changes the dynamic for everyone else on the back end as well as playcaller. A little worried that Kareem's price tag may have climbed with this year's performance and potential accolades, but still a must have on defense. This run doesn't happen without Kareem able to excel at multiple positions, especially CB1 and CB2.

Thomas should be good value by reworking his contract. And let's face it, the guys around (F5, Coutee) him won't be healthy a full season. Thomas may be a very important piece moving forward, and IMO it's a great thing to have veteran targets for your young QB to lean on.

Clowney ... yes he's playing great, but that's a LOT of money to tie up at the position - especially since I feel we're not getting the pressure relative to Watt and Clowney's cost. I'll leave that decision to folks much smarter than myself (basically everyone).

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think guys like Thomas and Covington will be fairly easy extensions so didn't include them as necessary for in season reworks. I think Clowney as well as other including Watt will be better after these days off. It should be remembered that Watt and Jadeveon are playing together for first time in long time. The money for #90 is not so bad when you look at his stats and how he impacts games. If Mercilus continues to progress and Cunningham is healthy this defense is going to do some really good things. Let's not overlook Covington's recent return and bye week.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  4. Scooter

Scooter Funky

You're correct on all counts, and bring up something interesting. I'm very curious to see our defense in a couple weeks with time to rest and heal and reflect, along with Romeo getting a chance to really dig into film. I hope we'll see Mercilus on the line more often in the future instead of in coverage, because even though he trends too wide and behind the qb, he regularly influences the pocket.

My only issue regarding Clowney is his pass rush. It seems most of his pressure is coming from interior blitzes instead of winning against tackles - getting stonewalled for near entire games. He's almost certainly going to want a top 3 contract, but with a hole in his game like that is where I'm struggling to give so much. He's playing exceptionally well, don't get me wrong, but for top 3 money I'd like a more consistent pass rush when singled against a tackle. Or just do as I've been suggesting and move he and Watt inside where their burst, hands and quickness can do more damage.

Texansballer74, steelbtexan and JB like this.
  5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

True game disruptors like JDC and Watt are hard to come by. Teams wish they had one guy like that we have two. Players like KJax and Honey Badger benefit from that immensely. Not to diminish their great years, but I'd say it's easier to replace back end help than it is to replace top 10 game wreckers like these guys. Even when they aren't in the play they are just smashing up blockers and wrecking shop.

KJax on a contract year makes me raise an eyebrow. Hope he doesn't fizzle out when he gets paid.

I like the defense, if they stay healthy I think the game 16+ defense will be something to contend with. Right now these guys are still giving up long drives late in games that makes the outcome a little more sketchy. I think with more games they will learn how to play together and continue improving too much talent and a great coordinator not to.

Texansballer74 and JB like this.
  6. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Once again, I'm a long time Clowney fan but still don't see him as a top drawer pass rusher as he is tied with a group of others at #17 in the sack department.
    If he expects to get paid top 3 or top 5 he needs to produce accordingly. Lets add it all up at the end of the year when he might finally hit double-digits, OK ? And he's been pretty injury free this season and lets also see how he is there at year-end ?

7. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

Putting the Franchise tag on Clowney is a no-brainer. It will be interesting to see what kind of offers Kareem gets. 31 year old corners are not getting big contracts.

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I hope they don't make the same mistake with Kareem that they did with AJ Bouye. Kareem is playing his ass off this year. This last game was arguably one of the very best games we've seen in the Texans history from a CB. He absolutely was playing out of his mind in Denver. We need to do whatever it takes to retain him for the rest of his career. JJo is proving that guys can still be productive later in their career and as he ages, I expect KJack to become a FT safety anyway. Losing a step there isn't quite as debilitating as at CB.

Pay him Brian!

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

No! Signed JD Clowney.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Why risk it? You know what he can do and can afford him. There is no one like him in free agency. Make a smart move now.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Why risk it? You know what he can do and can afford him. There is no one like him in free agency. Make a smart move now.

12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

It never fails to amaze me how well so many players perform during a contract year.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Regular folks do same thing. Jackson has been good last 2 season and this is best by far.

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

free agency contract in off season to impact Texans: Compare DeAndre Hopkins to Le'veon Bell Steelers. *Note the stats comparison is for 2017 as Bell holding out.

Bell RB/WR DOB Feb 18 1992 enters 2019 season @27 YOA but no NFL pounding this year.

Rushing= 321/1291 @ 4.0 avg and 9 TDs receiving 85/655 @ 7.7 avg and 2 tds

Hopkins= DOB June 6 1992 enters 2019 season @ 27 YOA

Receiving = 961/1378 @ 14.4 and 13 TDs

Contract for Nuk was 5 years $81 million and $49 m guaranteed. Cap hit for '17 was $18 m & signing was $7.5m.

Possible for Bell 5 years $80 million and $40 m guaranteed. 2019 signing bonus $10 m prorates @ $2m /year.
    Base salary $10 m + bonus giving him $20 m guaranteed and only a 12 cap hit.

Bell gets 20 million first year with a cap hit of $10 + 2 m (prorated)= $12 m cap hit. Repeat 2nd year with a roster bonus of $10 m + $10 m base to complete the $40 m guaranteed.

* I am not saying Bell is equal to Hopkins but his productivity would be pretty awesome on our roster with # 4 passing to him.

Texansballer74 likes this.
  15. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Clowney will want top dog money for sure. But is he really worth it? His motor is so up and down. Do the Texans franchise tag him? If so I believe Clowney will pull a L. Bell and hold out.

Kareem and Badger are most definitely keepers. Interesting question on Kareem though, how much will he be worth? He is playing 2 different positions and is excelling on both.

What top FA will we target? Do the rumor come true about L. Bell? Who will be the top offensive left tackle?

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I see free agency as very weak again this year; but if we sign our own guys and get Bell that would be a success. I wonder if Seantrel Henderson will get any looks from Gaine?

17. DanielTx

DanielTx Rookie

I think Clowney should be the Texans #1 priority and I’m sure he is. The youngest out of the 3 with the most potential followed by the Honey badger. In all honesty, when you have a winner at qb it makes the gm job easier. Guys want to play with Brady, Brees and now Deshaun.(honeybadger) That’s the beauty of it and we’re in win now mode with Deshaun rookie contract so I expect the Texans to sign the best names come free agency and free agents understand that.

Texansphan and Texansballer74 like this.
  18. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Clowney's motor is up and down????

19. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

It's been like that since college.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

College yes. I wouldn't say so at all with the Texans.