Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

N.o F.un L.eague and YouTube

TEXANS84

Staff member
Football Fans Lose as NFL, Viacom, YouTube Can't Get Along

Posted Feb 13th 2007 11:38PM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: NFL Media Watch
For a couple days after the Pro Bowl, Sean Taylor's hit on Brian Moorman was one of the most watched videos on YouTube. That was great for the NFL and for CBS, which televised the Pro Bowl -- it meant people were talking about their programming, and that's always good for business.

That video isn't available on YouTube anymore. Both the NFL and Viacom, the parent company of CBS, have demanded that YouTube remove hundreds of thousands of video clips. Under copyright law, the league and the network have that right -- they own their broadcasts and have the authority to tell others where, when and how their broadcasts can be shown.

But just because they have the right doesn't mean it's a wise decision. Having highlights on YouTube can only serve to help make broadcasts of football games more popular. It creates a buzz, attracts a younger audience and reminds people what they miss when they don't watch the games. And I've yet to meet a single person who says, "I'm not going to watch the game tonight, I'll just watch the highlights on YouTube tomorrow."

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/

Thank once again the No Fun League.

The people that are running the NFL are old, and as technology goes, they are way behind the curve. Stupid move on their part. Nobody was making any money on these clips, so what's the big deal?

Im not surprised at all....well maybe that it took awhile for them to do it. The NFL puts money over fans....

it's just because they couldnt work out a deal to get a piece of the youtube dollar. they worked something out with CBS and NBC and you can see clips of letterman, leno, etc. on there.

the NFL must really be hurting for revenue.

the NFL must really be hurting for revenue.

PFFFT!! PLEASE!!
2005_09_sports_guillen.jpg

Technically, Google makes money on YouTube, I believe. It's part of their overall revenue stream and they get advertising dollars from it. It also adds to their overall appeal when attracting advertisers and investors. Given the share price of Google these days, they're going to be a target for anyone that feels like they should be getting a piece of the pie.

Still a dumb move on the part of the NFL, though.

I've never seen a league that's sold it's soul more to the devil than the NFL to gain more and more money and become more exclusive.

What's even more questionable is has the league goes on this stupid rampage to become GLOBAL (have you seen NFLE lately guys?) that they would ignore youtube's massive global following and possibly a way to cut cost on marketing to the overseas crowd or even use it as a entry selling point.

Its getting to the point where the greed is getting in the way of good business sense.

IMO the NFL is at a dangerous point. the sport's at the peak of it's popularity but they could get into trouble with some of these moves. they're monopolizing against the fans, and spreading themselves out too thin with fox, cbs, espn, and the nfl network all broadcasting games. the owners are just getting greedy.

Technically, Google makes money on YouTube, I believe. It's part of their overall revenue stream and they get advertising dollars from it. It also adds to their overall appeal when attracting advertisers and investors. Given the share price of Google these days, they're going to be a target for anyone that feels like they should be getting a piece of the pie.

Still a dumb move on the part of the NFL, though.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/29/commentary/sportsbiz/index.htm

The thing about it though is I watched that video a lot on you tube and showed my friends. Not once did any of us say...oh did you see the broadcast of the pro bowl on cbs? or look at that it's from cbs...etc.

We said dude did you see that punter get jacked up!

I think it was just as much a move by the NFL to 'not condone' the hit as it was to 'not condone' youtube playing their broadcast. I think having that hit out on you tube allows more people to view it and be like jeez that hit was really unecessary...and then call for the nfl to not allow that dangerous of play in a seemingly meaningless game.

Back