Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My post game analysis

gtexan02

Working?
Offense:

Our offense had an incredible hill to climb: Move the ball through the air without your best offensive playmaker. And then Dayne was listed as inactive. And then Green came up limp. And then Jones went down. And then McKinney got hurt. And then Davis dislocated his finger. All of a sudden we are left with 2 healthy WRs and a bunch of TEs.
When Jameel, butterfingers, Cook gets the majority of your offensive carries, you know you are introuble.

So how do you analyze an offense with this many players missing? I don't know. But I'll try:
Schaub looked good for the majority of the game.
Our line would give great protection, but our 4th and 5th string WRs couldn't get open. Or our line would break down quickly and Schaub would have to avoid the sack. I thought Schaub's pocket presence was great today, and I saw him get out of trouble at least a few times. He had some problem throws while on the run, and that throw into the end zone was a game killer. Throwing into triple coverage is not a good idea. I think he meant there to be more loft on the ball, but thats the 3rd INT we've seen him throw in the red zone. (1 was overturned) This is going to be a serious issue.
Throughout the day, the only 2 major mistakes I saw were the INT in the end zone and the sack to end the game.

Our WRs looked like backups. They made the catches when the ball was there, but Jones getting hit in the head with the ball cost us an INT. They didn't get open on a number of pass routes. That play with Davis going down the sidelines was pretty lucky because he has Zero separation.

Our TEs looked pretty reliable as always, but I predicted a bigger game for Daniels.

Our running backs looked awful. I hope we at least consider bringing back Wali Lundy, because Cook + Gado does not inspire confidence in me.

On defense, we looked like the Vikings of last year. Addai couldn't get anywhere on us. His holes closed fast. I think he averaged less than 3.5 yards per carry, which is something I"ll gladly take. That leaping TD was amazing, and there was nothing we could do about it.

Our pass defense leaves a lot to be desired. On defense, there are 3 ways to play Indianapolis.
1) Take away the short passes and get beat deep (see the Saints from MNF on opening day)
2) Take away the deep ball, but give up the 10-15 yard completions (See Faggins yesterday)
3) Blitz like crazy and try and disrupt Manning.
Unfortunately, we chose option 2, and it killed us. When you rush 4 and drop everyone back into coverage, its going to be a long day against Manning. He picked us apart all day.

But, Im going to be the first person to come out and say that I don't think Faggins is our main problem. In fact, I think Faggins is still the 2nd best defensive back we have out there.

Unfortunately, our safeties are killing us. So far, Faggins has gone up against Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison. 2 of the top 5 receivers in the NFL. He gives them about a 5-8 yard cushion, and gives up easy 3rd down conversions. But he didn't get beat deep yesterday. If we had even 1 decent cover safety, we could easily put one of them over the top and let Faggins play more aggressively. Unfortunately we don't, and unfortunately, we are going to continue to see Faggins lined up against opposing teams #1 WRs and give up lots of easy completions.

On Manning's first TD pass, it was Boulware who bit up the middle, allowing Manning the easy play over the top to Clark in the back of the end zone.

The fact is, Faggins gave up 6 catches for 53 yards to Harrison. Many of them key 3rd down completions, but still. You can't expect him to produce much better than that against a guy like Harrison with Peyton throwing it to him.

Basically, I think this game exposed some of our weaknesses, but for the most part, still has to inspire confidence. We got beat, then we came back. We almost put the game away. And thats without 3 or 4 of our best players.

I think when looking at the Texans there is some things we have to keep in mind .

1. This is Schaub's 5th start .

2. This is far from a finished product . I think we all got excited about the 2-0 start and we can still be excited but this is not a finished product by far . We need more DBs , RBs , OL , and more yet we're pretty good .

3. Why in the hell do we keep having so many injuries ? These are major hits and are just a complete downer .

4. I think this team has a lot of fight and keeps plugging along while they still have a chance . Past teams would have been buried after the second int , yet we still had a small chance to win at the end .

I think you are right. The biggest flaws this team has right now are:

Defensive secondary
Injuries

Both can be addressed I hope

Schaub looked good for the majority of the game.

The two fumbles on the last TD drive really bothered me . I began to wonder if maybe Schaub had a hand injury because we have yet to see him make those kind of mistakes .
The first INT i give to JJ . He has to do a better job there . If he cant catch it knock it down .... especially in the middle of the field .
The second INT was a poor decision by Schaub throwing into tripple coverage . Probably the play that decided the game .

That play with Davis going down the sidelines was pretty lucky because he has Zero separation.

That was just an amazing catch , the defender had better position on the ball , Davis made a nice adjustment and went up and took it . Simple as that .

Our running backs looked awful. I hope we at least consider bringing back Wali Lundy, because Cook + Gado does not inspire confidence in me.

Green hasnt impressed me at all this year , in fact the running game as a whole hasnt done much for me outside of One drive .... against the Chiefs and most of that was Dayne who wasnt active .

But, Im going to be the first person to come out and say that I don't think Faggins is our main problem. In fact, I think Faggins is still the 2nd best defensive back we have out there.

I agree with ya here , Faggins has played pretty well all things considered . In three games he's given up two TD's to to of the games best in Smith and Harrison . One of which he had great coverage on , the play where Smith tipped the ball to himself he was in position and had he been able to get his head around (Good timing by Delhome) it could just as easily been 6 the other way . Yes Smith had three TD's but the third you can chalk up too about 5 guy's not making the tackle .

Compare Harrisons numbers against NO and Tennessee to what Faggins did against him Sunday and a lot of the complaining should cease .

Team Rec Yds Avg Long TD
NO 4 83 20.8 42 1

Ten 6 87 14.4 37 1

Hou 6 53 8.8 14 0

Unfortunately, our safeties are killing us. So far, Faggins has gone up against Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison. 2 of the top 5 receivers in the NFL. He gives them about a 5-8 yard cushion, and gives up easy 3rd down conversions. But he didn't get beat deep yesterday. If we had even 1 decent cover safety, we could easily put one of them over the top and let Faggins play more aggressively. Unfortunately we don't, and unfortunately, we are going to continue to see Faggins lined up against opposing teams #1 WRs and give up lots of easy completions.

:gun: The Safety play is the biggest problem on the defense right now . Its having a snowball effect on the rest of the game . There is not a true FS on the roster .
Von Hutchins has played well at times but probably isnt a long term answer . He's behind Faggins at CB for a reason .

CC. Brown and Demps are better suited to the SS position as is Boulware .
Demps and Boulware being elsewhere for training camp the problems are compounded .
Toss in injuries to Glenn Earl , Brandon Harrison , and Jason Horton and the secondary is always a play away from dissaster .

This team needs to upgrade the FS position , once they do the CB's can start playing a lot more aggessively in their coverages . As it stands now they are almost forced into giving recievers that 5-7 yard cushion for fear of giving up the big play .

Offense:

but thats the 3rd INT we've seen him throw in the red zone. (1 was overturned) This is going to be a serious issue.

This is the thing that is bothering me right now. Everyone(this is now the 3rd time I have seen this on here)needs to stop briging this up like it was an actual INT. It was overturned for a reason, because it NEVER was a pick! You guys need to stop counting it as 1. It is concerning that he has trown 2 picks in the red zone, but I think he will work out the kinks. He will get it figured out. I still have total confidence it Schaub and the Texans as a whole. Other than that though I really agree with your analysis.

This is the thing that is bothering me right now. Everyone(this is now the 3rd time I have seen this on here)needs to stop briging this up like it was an actual INT. It was overturned for a reason, because it NEVER was a pick! You guys need to stop counting it as 1. It is concerning that he has trown 2 picks in the red zone, but I think he will work out the kinks. He will get it figured out. I still have total confidence it Schaub and the Texans as a whole. Other than that though I really agree with your analysis.

ok hows this. this is the 3rd horrible pass in 3 games he has made in the red zone. thats not something that works itself out, it is trying to force things. some qb's have too much confidence in their arms at times like favre. and some dont have enough and play it safe, schaub needs to find a happy medium.

First Schaub is a noobie so he will make mistakes and made one real bad one in this game . Just what did the oline protect ? good or bad ? From my view the right side did well the left did not , Schaub was blindsided by pitts man who stunted around freeny . Those guys are not playing with there heads screwed on tight or without heart . It is my opinion that it maybe time to play studdard he will at least bring some heart to the game . Yes bolware should have gotten in front of the tight end at the goal line but why was nobody in coverage anywhere ? Bolware was played in the game as a nickle back or so it seemed as cc brown and von hutchins and bolware played on the field together and bolware did make plays twice (more than anyone else) once saving a touchdown . Von hutchins cheated to faggins side all day to back him up leaving dunta to be burned deep . Our safety problem stems from coaching or the lack of and playing people out of the norm to compensate for the indy style of offense.

What can one say the clock management was awful and the offense seemed to lack spirit without aj so i go with the assumption that they expected to lose and played that way . I am also feeling that the coaches are not wanting to use darius walker mostly because of his youth and size , instead of considering his skills .

I am also feeling that the coaches are not wanting to use darius walker mostly because of his youth and size , instead of considering his skills .

There are reasons why Darius Walker went undrafted by any team. He's small, he doesn't know the system, he can't block, and last, but not least, he can't pick up a blitz.

While it is hard to be satisfied with a loss, we played arguably the best team in the NFL and we gave ourselves a shot to win with two minutes left in the game. Take into account that we started the game without our pro-bowl WR and our second team RB and eventually lostour first team RB, first team center and second team DT...it is hard to get too upset over this loss.

It has been a long time since we have seen any team in the NFL go undefeated and it won't likely happen again any time soon, so as we watch the Texans grow into a winning franchise, it will be interesting to see how they respond to adversity. I saw this team grow last week by coming from behind 14 points on the road. I still think I saw this team show something again this week after a series of injuries and bad breaks to continue to fight. This team could have easily laid down and the score could have gotten out of hand, but this team showed me a lot of heart not give up or let up after some disappointing moments.

Here are some of my thoughts:

QB: In his 5th start of his career, it appears to me that Schaub is still throwing about two passes a game that he would like to have back. I think this is a product of his maturation process as a QB. Despite the interception in the red zone that really hurt us, I think his play in the 4th quarter demonstrates that we have the right guy playing QB for us. Again, football games are up and down, players play up and down, some times you catch a break, sometimes you won't - it is all about how you respond. I like the way Schaub responded, but was really impressed how his teammates responded as well. This is not Schaub's best game (with our without some of his playmakers), but I think this was a growing game for him.

RB: With Dayne out to start the game and Green out shortly thereafter, I expected to get a good look at Gado. I did not expect to see as much from Cook. Whether it was defensive scheme, personell or a combination of both - we just got nothing on the ground. I know that we need OL and secondary help, but getting a young playmaker at RB has to be on the top of our wish list next year.

OL: This was the weakest performance of the OL all year, but IMO is still better than the good performances last year. In the 4th, the Colts knew we were going to throw the ball, but in general, I think the pass protection is below average and our run blocking just seems non-existant.

WR/TE: The TE's on our team may be the most consistent bunch of the group. I saw nice catches by Walter and JJ, but thought that Andre Davis really looked good yesterday and having him in the mix (assuming Andre comes back), I feel better with Jacoby Jones out a couple of weeks.

DL: Again, I think we played the run pretty well, but we were not able to get pressure on the QB on a regular basis. We have got to find a way to get more pressure on Manning because of the few times we were able to get pressure, Manning had trouble. Although the numbers don't support it, I think Mario is making his presence felt - buy yesterday he seemed a split second short from making some really nice plays. I think Amobi is playing well for his first couple of games.

LB: I think the LBs have played well all year.

DB: Faggins did not have a great game, but didn't get burnt deep either. Boulware had a tough game. This is clearly the weakest link on our team, but it still is not as bad as it could be.

A couple of things. I hope Jones has learned it's best to get out of bounds sometimes. When you block somebody, you have to take them out of the play, not just stand there for a second while they push you out of the way. The most important thing is to stop the initial surge, and you can't just give a symbolic push to a liebacker or a defesive lineman as they are rushing in. I realize that some of these guys are almost unstoppable but hopefully they are handled by the offensive line. When you have a safety blitz, and running back should be able to take them or a linebacker out of the play.

There are reasons why Darius Walker went undrafted by any team. He's small, he doesn't know the system, he can't block, and last, but not least, he can't pick up a blitz.

We run a two back system ie a fullback and a running back we are not indy !
Darius walker would not need to be a blocker as he is a good receiver . By now he should know the system just fine .

ok hows this. this is the 3rd horrible pass in 3 games he has made in the red zone. thats not something that works itself out, it is trying to force things. some qb's have too much confidence in their arms at times like favre. and some dont have enough and play it safe, schaub needs to find a happy medium.

OK, how's this...

Show me all the QB's you've seen who don't make a couple of bad throws a game? Now, show me the number of guys who don't make a couple of bad throws a game that haven't started more than a couple of year's worth of games?

If you're expecting a QB to go through a season without making a bad play or two every game, then you're being unrealistic. So far, Schaub has made 3-4 bad throws/bad reads and he's made those bad throws while trying to take advantage of the defense. And he is completing over 75% of his passes and getting over 8.5 yards per attempt (he was getting more prior to the Colt game).

That's just amazingly good performance for a QB. Especially one so young (or at least inexperienced.)

Back