Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My New Mock Draft

LZ

Waterboy
I really struggled with the Texans selection and I had to change my mock up three different times after I received info on certain players and/or teams, but I'm pretty happy with the results of this one.

I did find out that there is more than one team who likes S. Weatherspoon more than Rolando McClain and Kansas City at 5 could be the trade up spot. I also expect the Giants at 15 to be a trade up spot as well as I think they will try and move back.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/04/post_147.html

P.S. - Daniel Jeremiah from MoveTheSticks.com will be on my draft show tomorrow on 1560 with me, Sean and John. You guys calls are welcome at 713-439-1560. We will be on from 5 to 7 PM if you can give a listen.

Good on ya LZ, just say no to Mathews in the first.

I'll be happy if we get a chance at Wilson at 20.

I think your right about Weatherspoon too, I think there are some that see the athletic limitations of McClain as pigeon holing him as a 3-4 only ILB.

Good on ya LZ, just say no to Mathews in the first.

I'll be happy if we get a chance at Wilson at 20.

I think your right about Weatherspoon too, I think there are some that see the athletic limitations of McClain as pigeon holing him as a 3-4 only ILB.

Actually, a couple of teams I spoke with today were really questioning his body type and toughness. They said when they saw him at the combine he had a ridiculously smooth body and wasn't cut up or athletic looking at all for his size. That can be a big red flag for some teams.

Actually, a couple of teams I spoke with today were really questioning his body type and toughness. They said when they saw him at the combine he had a ridiculously smooth body and wasn't cut up or athletic looking at all for his size. That can be a big red flag for some teams.

Are you talking Wilson here? Maybe McCourty or Kareem Jackson would be a better fit?

The classic debate over which tape is important. The measuring tape or the video tape.

BTW I believe we are talking about McClain's body.

Who are you talking about?

That was meant to be about Rolando McClain.

Ok Do you think Wilson a better fit for the Texans than McCourty or Jackson?

I think that Jackson may be the best fit for the Texans because of the school and the experience.

I really struggled with the Texans selection and I had to change my mock up three different times after I received info on certain players and/or teams, but I'm pretty happy with the results of this one.

I did find out that there is more than one team who likes S. Weatherspoon more than Rolando McClain and Kansas City at 5 could be the trade up spot. I also expect the Giants at 15 to be a trade up spot as well as I think they will try and move back.

P.S. - Daniel Jeremiah from MoveTheSticks.com will be on my draft show tomorrow on 1560 with me, Sean and John. You guys calls are welcome at 713-439-1560. We will be on from 5 to 7 PM if you can give a listen.

I prefer Matthews, but like Wilson as well. With that said, I am assuming your mock and the whispers that you hear are two different things, but who do you expect us to target at 50 for RB - Best, Tate or Gerhart - should this scenario not play out?

I prefer Matthews, but like Wilson as well. With that said, I am assuming your mock and the whispers that you hear are two different things, but who do you expect us to target at 50 for RB - Best, Tate or Gerhart - should this scenario play out?

In his mock, Gerhart is already gone... so I figure he might be thinking we are down to Tate or Best.... maybe Dwyer?

I prefer Matthews, but like Wilson as well. With that said, I am assuming your mock and the whispers that you hear are two different things, but who do you expect us to target at 50 for RB - Best, Tate or Gerhart - should this scenario play out?

Well, he's already got Gerhardt gone at 32. So. I think he's out.

:turtle:

Did my qualifier not come through in my statement?

No.

It really didn't.

I read this through 4-5 times trying to figure out what qualifier you were talking about. And then I saw it. But from the way that was written, I really didn't divorce what you were asking from LZ's mock as it stood.

Ok Do you think Wilson a better fit for the Texans than McCourty or Jackson?

I think that Jackson may be the best fit for the Texans because of the school and the experience.

I think Jackson is solid, I just don't think he's a first rounder. I do think that McCourty and Wilson are both fits for sure.

I prefer Matthews, but like Wilson as well. With that said, I am assuming your mock and the whispers that you hear are two different things, but who do you expect us to target at 50 for RB - Best, Tate or Gerhart - should this scenario not play out?

Out of those three, I would say Tate and Gerhardt with Hardesty definitely a possibility as well although his injuries are a big concern to me.

Lance, what kind of chance does Wilson have to be an immediate upgrade over what Dunta gave us last year?

He's still a rookie so it probably won't be an upgrade, but I do think he can have some games where he is a little better in man to man than Dunta was at times.

Is anyone else leaning towards a trade back with San Diego? You know they have to value Mathews pretty highly. I say hold Mathews for a ransom, trade back w/SD and go CB/RB/DT.

Who's coming with me?

Hey Lance. In your mock where do you go if Kyle Wilson is not available?

Lance you are the first guy besides me that has mocked Gerhart in first. I really like him but most say 3rd or later. Rmartin65 and I have him in 2nd. Also, WIlson is a great pick @#20. Do you address the RB in 2nd or later?

Is anyone else leaning towards a trade back with San Diego? You know they have to value Mathews pretty highly. I say hold Mathews for a ransom, trade back w/SD and go CB/RB/DT.

Who's coming with me?

I'd be fine with that. But I'd be fine with drafting Mathews if they didn't want to play, too.

If the Chargers (with a healthy Darren Sproles) "almost have to take" Mathews, due to their "tremendous need", how can the Texans (with a very questionable Steve Slaton) pass on the RB? How are the Chargers more needy at RB than the Texans?

Sorry, I still think Mathews is a better football player than Wilson. Or McCourty. I'm very worried that the Pats (loaded with extra picks) will jump ahead of the Texans and grab Mathews. Waiting for one of the very suspect 2nd tier backs to fall is setting the Texans up for a big fail in this draft.

If the Chargers (with a healthy Darren Sproles) "almost have to take" Mathews, due to their "tremendous need", how can the Texans (with a very questionable Steve Slaton) pass on the RB? How are the Chargers more needy at RB than the Texans?

Sorry, I still think Mathews is a better football player than Wilson. Or McCourty. I'm very worried that the Pats (loaded with extra picks) will jump ahead of the Texans and grab Mathews. Waiting for one of the very suspect 2nd tier backs to fall is setting the Texans up for a big fail in this draft.

I guess for a more complete team like Chargers, any area of need takes on a much starker contrast.

As for a team trying to jump ahead of the Texans, I think the best case scenario is a team trading with the Texans so we can get some more picks.

I honestly don't think it makes sense for the Texans to trade down, afterall this trade talk. yes I'm switching tones, what I'm seeing in all these mock drafts & even our fast draft with the best from this board, massive opportunities to select a better player than one would expect @ each pick. Guess I'm saying I have confidence in the Texans to out scout their competition & jump ahead without passing elite talent.

one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush :shoot:

What a joke

What's a joke?

If it is a joke, then I dont get it. :P

JokeOverHead3.jpg

He's still a rookie so it probably won't be an upgrade, but I do think he can have some games where he is a little better in man to man than Dunta was at times.

In other words, he won't start until the end of October. And as I've been posting....there is little chance that they will take a non day one starter with their first round pick. Noticed you conveniently picked Iupati with the nineteen. Denial doesn't wear well on you Lance.

In other words, he won't start until the end of October. And as I've been posting....there is little chance that they will take a non day one starter with their first round pick. Noticed you conveniently picked Iupati with the nineteen. Denial doesn't wear well on you Lance.

A lot of mocks have Iupati gone before we pick.

I honestly don't think it makes sense for the Texans to trade down, afterall this trade talk. yes I'm switching tones, what I'm seeing in all these mock drafts & even our fast draft with the best from this board, massive opportunities to select a better player than one would expect @ each pick. Guess I'm saying I have confidence in the Texans to out scout their competition & jump ahead without passing elite talent.

one bird in the hand is worth two in the bush :shoot:

Agreed

Would you trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 2nd to move into the pick 60/70range?

I think I would make that trade.

If you made the trade I believe you could get 4 starters and a rotatioal DL in rds 1-4.

The fast draft has proven that the first 100 players are starter quality. Right now for instance on the OL you've got practically all of the OG's,CB's several RB's that will be on the board in the 3rd. (AOA) should fall to that spot for instance.

That doesn't even include the S position. Which is still loaded in the fast draft.

The right 3rd rd pick will be more valuable in the 2010 draft,than a 2011 2nd rd pick (talent wise) IMHO

Agreed

Would you trade a 2010 5th and a 2011 2nd to move into the pick 60/70range?

I think I would make that trade.

If you made the trade I believe you could get 4 starters and a rotatioal DL in rds 1-4.

The fast draft has proven that the first 100 players are starter quality. Right now for instance on the OL you've got practically all of the OG's,CB's several RB's that will be on the board in the 3rd. (AOA) should fall to that spot for instance.

That doesn't even include the S position. Which is still loaded in the fast draft.

The right 3rd rd pick will be more valuable in the 2010 draft,than a 2011 2nd rd pick (talent wise) IMHO
I would make that trade based on who's projected available as the second round ticks by. This draft mock wise, is crazy with players moving up and down daily. However, if a need player is there @ #20, Earl Thomas, Wilson or Haden (doubtful) I think I draft him. Mathews I look at a bit differently because I like Gerhart so much. Thomas & Gerhart > Mathews and Burnett. A great FS makes Quin a better gamble.

A lot of mocks have Iupati gone before we pick.

A lot of teams could use him, warts and all that's for sure. Rare guy who fits both power o and ZBS schemes. three hundred and thirty three pound guy who moves like a three oh three pound guy, not many of those each decade. I've been noticing that the mockers trend is to have Okong going to Detroit. First thing that has to happen there is someone in Detroit is going to have to have and epiphany on Jeff Backus that he aint a OLT. And so far I have seen no indication of this. Last quote I saw from Schawrtz was exactly the opposite. He is standing by his man.

Well the heard has had a chance to pick apart Iupati for four weeks now. We'll see. I think one of the more interesting aspects of this draft for the Texans will be if both Mathews and Iupati are on the board the Texans get to chose inside out or outside in. I know what I'd do if my two second rounders franchise QB bloomed into a top five NFL QB. And I'd never look back. Shoring up the o-line is job numbero uno. Especially if a once a decade player falls right in your lap. But as you post he'll probably be gone.

I know what I'd do if my two second rounders franchise QB bloomed into a top five NFL QB. And I'd never look back. Shoring up the o-line is job numbero uno. Especially if a once a decade player falls right in your lap. But as you post he'll probably be gone.

Great post, I added to your rep for that one.

Lance you are the first guy besides me that has mocked Gerhart in first. I really like him but most say 3rd or later. Rmartin65 and I have him in 2nd. Also, WIlson is a great pick @#20. Do you address the RB in 2nd or later?

I think you have to address RB in the 3rd because you can't wait until pick 81 and expect to get a RB who can have a big impact on your running game.

"Conveniently"? The Falcons have a need on the interior. What is convenient about that?

"Conveniently"? The Falcons have a need on the interior. What is convenient about that?

Hey LZ, Do you think now that the Steelers traded Santonio Holmes, will they will be targeting Dez bryant or Demaryious Thomas in the first?

Hey Lance if your still on line? have you worked Clausen into your next Mock Draft yet? if so what have you been hearing from scouts/NFL teams about him? I watched just a little of his Pro-Day workout & would have to say I came away impressed. so much so picking for the Jaguars in our little group mock draft here, selected him #10.

Hey Lance if your still on line? have you worked Clausen into your next Mock Draft yet? if so what have you been hearing from scouts/NFL teams about him? I watched just a little of his Pro-Day workout & would have to say I came away impressed. so much so picking for the Jaguars in our little group mock draft here, selected him #10.
On NFL Total Access a few days ago they interviewed Clausen as he worked out. I don't remember if it was his pro day but probably was. He said he understood the concerns but voiced confidence he would turn doubters around. Identified himself as a "first one in the gym, last one to leave" that would quickly win the trust and loyalty of his team. I am hopeful that Tebow and Colt McCoy go top 19 and Taylor Mays and Iuapati and

Hey LZ, Do you think now that the Steelers traded Santonio Holmes, will they will be targeting Dez bryant or Demaryious Thomas in the first?

I called someone with the Steelers to ask an opinion about Dez and his off the field behavior (if there was a problem with it) and this was before Santonio got traded. I never got a call back so that tells me Dez is probably in play for them. They would really need Dez because Hines is at the end of his career and Sweed can't be trusted.

LT may be a big need for the Bucs but I see no way they let one of the DTs get by them. Either McCoy or Suh surely would be the best player available, and Tampa's defense desperately needs help at just about every position. Both of these guys can fit into Tampa's attacking defensive scheme, not to mention that rumor is that they're enamored with both of these guys.

I can't say I've seen a mock with the combination of Graham and Pouncey going to the niners. Although interesting, I find both of these picks highly unlikely. First, the 49ers have a top ranked pass rush and have a lot of young talent at OLB already, especially with Ahmad Brooks really comin' on at the end of last season. Plus, our front office has shown before that they won't draft guys with height/weight limitations at that position early (i.e. first couple rounds). They have had success mining the later rounds for pass rushers (ex. Parys Haralson), so I think if they do draft a pass rusher, it won't be until later.

As for Pouncey, the 49ers already have a good center in Eric Heitmann. We even drafted a center in the 4th (cody wallace) a couple years ago to groom behind him and take over once Heitmann leaves. Either way, heir apparent or not, the 49ers front office does not believe in drafting interior linemen in the first round. Even if they did, OG is an area of greater need, so Iupati would be picked before Pouncey would. Not to mention that he is better value, too.

If the first part of the draft unfolded like that, I am confident the 49ers would select Joe Haden and Anthony Davis before the combination of Graham and Pouncey.

Back