Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My mock for Texans

rarazz00

VOLUME 10
Well bloggers, I couldn't let you have all the fun so I've decided to post my own Texans mock draft...

1) Peria Jerry-DT-Ole' Miss-6-2/305; 18 TFL and 7 sacks: I believe this guy now should be our no. 1 target...With Okoye and Jerry commanding double teams the sacks are gonna happen, not to mention the run stuffing.
if by chance he's gone...

1) Michael Johnson-DE-Georgia Tech-6-7/257; 17 TFL and 9 sacks this cat would be my second choice in the 1st round. He's as quick as a cat, though some question his heart, 17 TFL and 7 sacks are very promising.
if by chance both are taken...trade down.

2)Ron Brace-DT-Boston College-6-3/330; 10 TFL and 2.5 sacks This guy also posseses a relentless motor

2)Matt Shaughnessey-DE-Wisconsin-6-6/251; 8 TFL and 4 sacks this guy is also rather quick and plays hard and a coaches dream..despite the injuries

3)Antoine Caldwell-C-Alabama-6-3/294; voted All American 1st Team

3)Nic Harris-SS-OU-6-3/255; Kind of a tweener LB/SS. 64 tackles and 6 broken up passes. I've watched him lay the wood all season(fiance' is an OU fan) and yes he's had some hiccups, but I could see his tenacious play as SS in a Texans Jersey

4)Rashad Jennings-RB-Liberty-6-1/232-4.46 40; 1500 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns. I don't know about his ball catching skills but what a steal in round 4

4)Arian Foster-RB-Tennessee-6-1/217-4.49 40; he obviously had a crappy season with no OL help and the QB play was below average, though he still managed 4.4 ypc and finished w/ 570 yds. Again not sure of his ball catching skills either...

5)Ray Feinga-OG-BYU-6-5/329; All-Mountain West 1st team..very quick for his size

5)Courtney Green-SS/FS-Rutgers-6-1/215 All Big East 1st team...83 tackles/2 broken up passes..

We need QB help with Sage leaving after the 09 season, so with that said...

6) Curtis Painer-QB-Purdue-6-4/223; He threw 11 picks this year though threw13 TD...I think "Kubs" can coach him

6)Cullen Harper-QB-Clemson-6-4/215; He tossed 13 TD and 14 picks this year, again Kubiak can help with this...

7) Michael Bennet-DE-Texas A&M-6-4/263; another motor to put in to relieve the starters.

Undrafted Free Agents- RB/LB/OL

I understand their will be dissagreements on Rankings, Players and Position Picks...but for now until the combine, we have only the 08 season to figure out where these players may rank....:fans:

Last edited:
i agree with most of this. the thing that i would change is that i think safety is a higher priority than round three. William Moore (Mizzou) is a first round option and Patrick Chung (Oregon) if hes still there in round 2. DT and DE are both needs as well but S trumps them in my mind.

I don't think we'll draft a DE this year, because there is so much money tied up in Anthony Weaver, he makes to much to cut him or put him on the bench. I think they'll wait to see what the new DC and defensive scheme results are on Weavers play. I do think that DT will be addressed and early, either B.J. Raji in the 1st or Ron Brace in the 2nd. I also agree with V-man that Safety will be addressed earlier and hope that Patrick Chung will still be available for us in the 2nd round. Chung could go in the late 1st round. I like Caldwell in the 3rd round but I don't see that he improves anything over Myers. Myers is a technically sound player but his biggest problem was his lack of bulk and getting pushed around by huge DT's and if Caldewell is 294 lbs. he'll get pushed around as well. Go with Trevor Canfield in the 3rd, best OG for us and I think that OG is more of a need than C. I like your 4th round picks that's a great place to address the RB need and I'll take Rashad Jennings. Your 5th round picks not bad either, having some quality depth at the Safety positions would be a good thing. If we could get Curtis Painter in the 6th round, I'd be happy, good pick. 7th round, we've already got depth at DE, Cochran and Bullman, I'd go for depth on the O-line or preferably at OLB where they could play on special teams as well.

I don't think we'll draft a DE this year, because there is so much money tied up in Anthony Weaver, he makes to much to cut him or put him on the bench. I think they'll wait to see what the new DC and defensive scheme results are on Weavers play. I do think that DT will be addressed and early, either B.J. Raji in the 1st or Ron Brace in the 2nd. I also agree with V-man that Safety will be addressed earlier and hope that Patrick Chung will still be available for us in the 2nd round. Chung could go in the late 1st round. I like Caldwell in the 3rd round but I don't see that he improves anything over Myers. Myers is a technically sound player but his biggest problem was his lack of bulk and getting pushed around by huge DT's and if Caldewell is 294 lbs. he'll get pushed around as well. Go with Trevor Canfield in the 3rd, best OG for us and I think that OG is more of a need than C. I like your 4th round picks that's a great place to address the RB need and I'll take Rashad Jennings. Your 5th round picks not bad either, having some quality depth at the Safety positions would be a good thing. If we could get Curtis Painter in the 6th round, I'd be happy, good pick. 7th round, we've already got depth at DE, Cochran and Bullman, I'd go for depth on the O-line or preferably at OLB where they could play on special teams as well.

I don't think that the Texans FO will wait any longer to cut Weaver.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2009.html
I'll put $3.5 million on the fact that they'll rather pay $2.7 million and give someone else that hasn't been a huge disappointment a chance.

Also, i forgot to put this in the first post, i think Harper will be a better pro than Painter. I watch Tiger games whenever i can and i believe his senior slump was due more to the slipping of Bowden than his lack of skills.

i agree with most of this. the thing that i would change is that i think safety is a higher priority than round three. William Moore (Mizzou) is a first round option and Patrick Chung (Oregon) if hes still there in round 2. DT and DE are both needs as well but S trumps them in my mind.

Thanks for the reply...the way I see it...If the Texans draft DE and DT in the 1st two rounds, we'll get pressure on the QB and be able to stuff the run...our LBs are promising and our corners are as well(ok maybe two).yes our safetys do need help and I was all over Taylor Mays and I'm not so sure William Moore will be there at pick 15. again I really think with the pass rush and run stopping abilities that are needed, Rhodes/Gibbs can work wonders on Nic Harris.-SS-(OU)..:fans:

Last edited:
:texflag:
I'll put $3.5 million on the fact that they'll rather pay $2.7 million and give someone else that hasn't been a huge disappointment a chance.

Also, i forgot to put this in the first post, i think Harper will be a better pro than Painter. I watch Tiger games whenever i can and i believe his senior slump was due more to the slipping of Bowden than his lack of skills.

I agree too on Cullen Harper:texflag:

We'll just have to disagree regarding Anthony Weaver. Don't get me wrong I'd be all for the Texans cutting him but I just don't see it happening, I don't think McNair wants to add dead money to the payroll. As for 6th round QB's I'd take Cullen Harper, Curtis Painter, or Tom Brandstater. I think they've all got the physical size and basic skills to be future QB's in the NFL, they can all hold a clipboard for a couple years and Kubiak could teach them the rest.

We'll just have to disagree regarding Anthony Weaver. Don't get me wrong I'd be all for the Texans cutting him but I just don't see it happening, I don't think McNair wants to add dead money to the payroll.

Why not? We've had a ton of dead money on our payroll for the past several years. If I remember the cap numbers (does anyone have the new link to the site with the Texans cap?), we're going to be pretty clear of dead money this year and this would be the perfect time to ditch Weaver. His numbers will be easy to absorb.

Why not? We've had a ton of dead money on our payroll for the past several years. If I remember the cap numbers (does anyone have the new link to the site with the Texans cap?), we're going to be pretty clear of dead money this year and this would be the perfect time to ditch Weaver. His numbers will be easy to absorb.

Colvin tops it out at half a mil and all of them only add up to about 1.2 million.

The thing I love about Smith/Kubiak is they don't just look at the Savings or Expense of cutting a player... they look at the actual roster spot. It is so hard to cut the roster down to 53 players, sometimes that extra roster spot is worth the extra money.

Well bloggers, I couldn't let you have all the fun so I've decided to post my own Texans mock draft...

1) Peria Jerry-DT-Ole' Miss-6-2/305; 18 TFL and 7 sacks: I believe this guy now should be our no. 1 target...With Okoye and Jerry commanding double teams the sacks are gonna happen, not to mention the run stuffing.
if by chance he's gone...

1) Michael Johnson-DE-Georgia Tech-6-7/257; 17 TFL and 9 sacks this cat would be my second choice in the 1st round. He's as quick as a cat, though some question his heart, 17 TFL and 7 sacks are very promising.
if by chance both are taken...trade down.

2)Ron Brace-DT-Boston College-6-3/330; 10 TFL and 2.5 sacks This guy also posseses a relentless motor

2)Matt Shaughnessey-DE-Wisconsin-6-6/251; 8 TFL and 4 sacks this guy is also rather quick and plays hard and a coaches dream..despite the injuries

3)Antoine Caldwell-C-Alabama-6-3/294; voted All American 1st Team

3)Nic Harris-SS-OU-6-3/255; Kind of a tweener LB/SS. 64 tackles and 6 broken up passes. I've watched him lay the wood all season(fiance' is an OU fan) and yes he's had some hiccups, but I could see his tenacious play as SS in a Texans Jersey

4)Rashad Jennings-RB-Liberty-6-1/232-4.46 40; 1500 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns. I don't know about his ball catching skills but what a steal in round 4

4)Arian Foster-RB-Tennessee-6-1/217-4.49 40; he obviously had a crappy season with no OL help and the QB play was below average, though he still managed 4.4 ypc and finished w/ 570 yds. Again not sure of his ball catching skills either...

5)Ray Feinga-OG-BYU-6-5/329; All-Mountain West 1st team..very quick for his size

5)Courtney Green-SS/FS-Rutgers-6-1/215 All Big East 1st team...83 tackles/2 broken up passes..

We need QB help with Sage leaving after the 09 season, so with that said...

6) Curtis Painer-QB-Purdue-6-4/223; He threw 11 picks this year though threw13 TD...I think "Kubs" can coach him

6)Cullen Harper-QB-Clemson-6-4/215; He tossed 13 TD and 14 picks this year, again Kubiak can help with this...

7) Michael Bennet-DE-Texas A&M-6-4/263; another motor to put in to relieve the starters.

Undrafted Free Agents- RB/LB/OL

I understand their will be dissagreements on Rankings, Players and Position Picks...but for now until the combine, we have only the 08 season to figure out where these players may rank....:fans:
As we traded #18 down last year for a 1st, 3rd and 6th, I am looking at a trade with Atlanta for the # 25 and a 2nd.

Texans
Round 1 #25 Michael Johnson 6'7" 258 4.67 DE that could also play OLB may be a steal at this pick.

Round 2 (ours) Shonn Green 5'11" 235 4.58 power guy to score in RZ and fast enough to break into the back field.

Round two (Atlanta)Ron Brace NT 6'3" 324 2 sacks last 2 years. New coach better stop the run.

Round 3 Rashad Johnson FS 6'0 195 4.49 (Delmas rated higher is falling)
Round 4 Robert Ayers DE 6'3" 270 All SEC

Atlanta's needs http://football.about.com/od/teamneeds/a/teamneeds_ATL.htm

Back