Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My Letter To The FO Short And Sweet Fix That Thing You Call An O Line

1. Antonio Smith
2. Drafted Mario Williams over Reggie and Vince
3. traded two picks for Matt Schaub, who only had 3 career starts
4. hired a first time head coach
5. hired a very young, first time GM

I'm disappointed with the season so far and the last few season, for sure. But, let's at least be accurate in our criticisms.

There you go...:tiphat:

1. Antonio Smith

I'm disappointed with the season so far and the last few season, for sure. But, let's at least be accurate in our criticisms.

It's kinda like sitting down for supper and there's no meat . You get pissed and shout why isn't there any damn meat , y'all were supposed to go hunting . Bob responds ... we did go hunting ... we didn't hit anything .

1. Antonio Smith

I'm just another digruntled season ticket holder.

Accuracy be damned.

Arguably the way to build a winning organization isn't by hiring a bunch of 1st timers on the cheap but hey maybe I'm wrong and McNair is right.

Im talking about Smith and Kubiak.

Well Kubiak was there for all four of the picks I referred to. Smith has been in on two drafts and they have used a 1st and 3rd in those two drafts on OL. I still don't see how you can claim it hasn't been a priority for them. That's just 1st day picks. They also drafted Studdard and signed and developed folks like Breisel, and Butler plus traded for Myers.

It's kinda like sitting down for supper and there's no meat . You get pissed and shout why isn't there any damn meat , y'all were supposed to go hunting . Bob responds ... we did go hunting ... we didn't hit anything .

My feelings exactly

Repped

At this point in the season I would be willing to move Winston to G and start Butler at RT and Caldwell at C.

The Texans aren't going anywhere with this OL as currently constructed.

Desparate times call for desparate measures.

Or like Bud going hunting and hitting big a big fine by the NFL and that's all. Hey, I'm sorry but you know I just had to go there. LOL.

The point is that Smithiak could've had Oher and Cushing if they had been willing to take a chance and trade their 2010 first and the Barwin pick for Oher.

I didn't know that, do you have a source?

That would have meant that McNair would have had to pay 1st rd. money for 2 players and we both know that isn't going to happen.

I beleive McNair would pull the purse strings if his football people really felt this move was in the best interest of his franchise.

On a side note I think the 2010 draft class is a weak one. What is your opinion?

As the draft approaches & underclassman come out it will drive opinion up or down. Usually Senior classes by themselves do not create enough feeding frenzie for NFL teams to start buzzing.

Smithiak may be wiiling to trade future picks to move up in the 2010 draft and get two 1st rd picks. Because if they dont win next year they will be fired. If they're not fired after the 2009 season.

Guess I'm just the opposite, I'm big on trading down not up and stockpiling picks ala New England. Besides poor choices one of the main reasons the Texans are in this situation is that they choose to trade away valueable 2nd round picks to address a specific need instead of having more overall talent to develop long term. Do I need to rehash all those fumbles? Steve Slaton is not alone. 2004, 2005, 2007 & 2008. The Texans have only Matt Schaub to show for all those picks & still cannot protect him, or have a decent consistant running game to balance the passing attack which I suppose is the reason for this thread in the first place.

In fact I propose Texans never be allowed to trade another second round pick as long as Bob McNair is owner of the Texans.

I hope they don't trade away their second round draft picks anymore or at least for awhile. LOL.

Last edited:
I'm just another digruntled season ticket holder.

Accuracy be damned.

Arguably the way to build a winning organization isn't by hiring a bunch of 1st timers on the cheap but hey maybe I'm wrong and McNair is right.

Season ticket holder checking in. I feel you. At this point, paying that invoice next spring is iffy.

But, I will give McNair a break. The man is not cheap. And, he's more engaged than he ever has been. He has said, several times, that 8-8 is not going to cut it.

Season ticket holder checking in. I feel you. At this point, paying that invoice next spring is iffy.

But, I will give McNair a break. The man is not cheap. And, he's more engaged than he ever has been. He has said, several times, that 8-8 is not going to cut it.

I'm going to renew next year but if McNair keeps the current regime after saying 8-8 isn't good enough I may have to reconsider.

They cant even use the we had a difficult card anymore. They are playing against the NFC west for gods sake.

If it was me it's 9-7 or bust Smithiak.

9-7 that's not to much for the loyal fans of the HOUSTON TEXANS to ask is it Mr.McNair?

Well Kubiak was there for all four of the picks I referred to. Smith has been in on two drafts and they have used a 1st and 3rd in those two drafts on OL. I still don't see how you can claim it hasn't been a priority for them. That's just 1st day picks. They also drafted Studdard and signed and developed folks like Breisel, and Butler plus traded for Myers.

First lets take Breisel, Studdard, Myers and Butler out of the equation. They don’t belong in this discussion.

Now lets talk about Brown and how he was acquired. The year we drafted Brown, getting a starting LT was even obvious to the most oblivious ESPN message board posters. LT was this teams Achilles Heal and it was paramount we find one in the draft that could contribute right away. That particular draft was considered on of the deepest drafts in history for first round OT talent. So what does Smithiak do? They sit and watch the top 5 OT’s in the draft go in front of them then they trade down and watch 2 more OT’s get picked and finally take a second round talent that played Guard but was considered a T PROSPECT.

I know it worked out pretty good but when you consider the situation and how dire our need was for a starting LT, I don’t see how you can say drafting Brown shows this staff see’s the OL as a high priority.

For me its less about where we have gotten our O-linemen and more about the opportunities we have passed. Another example, just last year we had a chance to draft a Oher a highly rated OL who could play guard or T and we passed for an OLB with an injury history. Once again it worked out but it shows OL is less a priority than it should be IMO.

We also could of drafted Max Unger in the second round last year, a player who could play any position on the line who fit perfect in our ZB scheme and we passed for a defensive guy with no resume but a lot of potential. This after seeing Myers get absolutely blown up for most of last year.

Sorry but too many times this staff has passed on high quality OL prospects for risky potential picks elsewhere for my taste. I do see where you are coming from but we have had the opportunity to solidify our OL too many times and passed for me to believe OL is properly prioritized.

Of course consider that I am a trenches first guy so anything less than completing our down lineman with every opportunity other than passing up a franchise player or far superior talent is irresponsible IMO.

On a side note, do you think Kubiak had more than an opinion on whether or not to draft Winston and Spencer?

First lets take Breisel, Studdard, Myers and Butler out of the equation. They don’t belong in this discussion.

Now lets talk about Brown and how he was acquired. The year we drafted Brown, getting a starting LT was even obvious to the most oblivious ESPN message board posters. LT was this teams Achilles Heal and it was paramount we find one in the draft that could contribute right away. That particular draft was considered on of the deepest drafts in history for first round OT talent. So what does Smithiak do? They sit and watch the top 5 OT’s in the draft go in front of them then they trade down and watch 2 more OT’s get picked and finally take a second round talent that played Guard but was considered a T PROSPECT.

I know it worked out pretty good but when you consider the situation and how dire our need was for a starting LT, I don’t see how you can say drafting Brown shows this staff see’s the OL as a high priority.

For me its less about where we have gotten our O-linemen and more about the opportunities we have passed. Another example, just last year we had a chance to draft a Oher a highly rated OL who could play guard or T and we passed for an OLB with an injury history. Once again it worked out but it shows OL is less a priority than it should be IMO.

We also could of drafted Max Unger in the second round last year, a player who could play any position on the line who fit perfect in our ZB scheme and we passed for a defensive guy with no resume but a lot of potential. This after seeing Myers get absolutely blown up for most of last year.

Sorry but too many times this staff has passed on high quality OL prospects for risky potential picks elsewhere for my taste. I do see where you are coming from but we have had the opportunity to solidify our OL too many times and passed for me to believe OL is properly prioritized.

Of course consider that I am a trenches first guy so anything less than completing our down lineman with every opportunity other than passing up a franchise player or far superior talent is irresponsible IMO.

On a side note, do you think Kubiak had more than an opinion on whether or not to draft Winston and Spencer?

Spot On

For the record

I'm a bulid the trenches 1st guy

i'm not sure i understand this post, you seem to be upset that we got the draft picks right. we got the best or second best LT (brown) in the draft, when we could've drafted a lesser player higher. the only reason we were even in that position was because of a freak injury to someone i did and still looking back would've penciled into the hall of fame (fully accepting due criticism) in charles spencer who was drafted first day of kubiak's first season. we moved in the second round for a pass rusher because it was (is) easily our weakest link (still 31st in sacks) and added a comperable or better interior lineman in the third round. we missed on a position we were full (OT) in order to draft a do it all defensive player who's running away with DROY. we've drafted 4 offensive linemen in the first day for the past 4 seasons, and while i have no intention on researching that one, i doubt many teams match that number.

i'm a build inside out guy as well, and anyone who's followed my posts through the season knows i want nothing more than from the offensive line, but we're doing it. as a trend i seem to be more content than most to the pace we're working on these things and can show it's actually faster than tradition, but to your intent i completely agree that we need to make (or continue to make) concrete moves to solidify the trenches.

So basically, you are saying the Texans did not draft the speicifc guys you wanted. gotcha.

So basically, you are saying the Texans did not draft the speicifc guys you wanted. gotcha.

Not only is he saying that . He's saying the 1st round pick happened in a
vacuum. Here's the deal... The Texans traded down, because we had
NO 2nd round pick, and only ONE 3rd round pick. Trading down got us
an additional 3rd round pick. We selected:

3rd Round (1st): Antwaun Molden. Before you call this a bad pick, the kid
was promising until he had his ankle destroyed defending a punt. Before
that hit, he was one of the best gunners in all the NFL. The coaches put
him on special teams to break him in. That was not because he sucked. He
was probably the most natural corner we had on the roster as a rookie.

3rd Round (2nd): Steve Slaton. From where we got him in the draft, he was
by far the best value pick of the entire 2008 draft. He's a kid with low-first
high-second round talent, and we picked him up in the bottom of the 3rd
round.

So, he's in essence saying ONE OT > Duane Brown + Slaton + Molden.
I strongly disagree.

This is in response to the last three post. First off you guys need to read the whole thread before you question peoples post. I was not saying what you are all suggesting. Infrynac (sp?) and I were in debate on whether or not this regime puts a high priority on building our OL. He pointed out the picks we have spent to build the OL to support his stance and I pointed out the opportunities we have had and passed as why I felt they dont put enough emphasis on the OL.

In the second half of today's game the O line did another outstanding job protecting Matt and keeping him on his feet once again. I'm very proud of them.

The OL hepled produce 0 meaningful points in the 2nd half.

This is SOS different version.

Back