Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

My 2000th Post...A Reflection on All Things Texan

swtbound07

Jackass of Day!
I've been waiting a couple of days to make this post. I thought I would take this random milestone opportunity to reflect on my 4 seasons as a texans fan, and my time on this message board

First of all, I would like to say that some of the finest people I have ever spoken with reside here. Vinny, Double Barrell, Texan Asylum, Herv, Texans Chick, Jerek, AJ, Led, and so many more of you have made me feel nothing but welcome here. This has become my main source for not only sports news, but world news, political discussion, and a place to go whenever I need somebody to listen.

Second, a special thank you to Bob Mcnair, because if not for this team, I dont know who I would be watching right now. You made me a football fan again, from the first day i got my 32 "Houston" academy jersey, to the day i toured the Temp offices they had....good times by all.

As far as the Texans themselves go...I've never had an opportunity to meet any of the players, but I feel like the players on this team are truely players for MY team. I have so many great memories of the games on the field.

While I am on the subject of texans memories, let me speak on a subject rather close to my heart. The texans have helped me form a bond with my father that wasnt so reachable before the season. I went to my very first NFL game with my dad, sat and watched my texans beat the new york giants that inagural season. I had the most fun of my life on battle red day halloween, watching one of the best interception returns i will ever see. Thanks Faggins!

It brought a bit of routine to my life. Every sunday during the season, i would wake up, go eat breakfast with my dad, talk about the game coming up, watch it on TV, fix a lunch during halftime, and cheer until my lungs hurt. I remember how happy he was when i opened my Andre Jersey at christmas, knowing he was both of our favorite player.

I feel like I have grown as a person, and as a fan, standing by a team going through one of the most miserable seasons a fan can endure. Hearing about my team being accused of throwing games for a college player was heartbreaking. I remember getting my hopes up soooo many times, and having them crushed. I've been the only player in the sportsbar cheering against the masses, and represented my city with pride. I hope one day i will have a little boy so i can share my team with him, and be that type of father.

Finally I just want to say thank you. Although i havent met any of you in person, I am proud to call some of you my friends. The most knowledgable, personable, spirited, intelligent, passionate, and fun fans i've ever been around live on these boards and in this city.

Thank you all for enduring this little soapbox moment, i just wanted to share how much all of this has meant to me.

You rock and I can't wait until the playoffs at Reliant Stadium we really with be Rockin and our D-Line the MEAN MACHINE will be crushing QB's for breakfast.

Man, you ruined it all...!
I was all set to razz you for not including me in your list of finest people, then you had to go and make an excellent post and take the wind out of my smart a@@ sails...

just joking. nicely done, really.
I have a daughter myself and hope to be able to impart my love of the Texans on her, but it would be just a little different with a son (no offense ladies, I know many of you are great fans as well) whom my wife and I are trying daily to create (wink, wink...).

Maybe some day I will make your list of fine people... LOL

Very nice post and grats on the 2k. I brought a present but did not have time to gift-wrap the positive-rep :)

Malloy said:
Very nice post and grats on the 2k. I brought a present but did not have time to gift-wrap the positive-rep :)

Lol thanks! and as for michaelm...your on that list too friend, i just figured it would have taken too long to type out every screenname that influenced me.

Malloy said:

Lol thanks! and as for michaelm...your on that list too friend, i just figured it would have taken too long to type out every screenname that influenced me.

Good job and I can relate. My son was born in the July prior to the 2nd season and we began taking him to games that season. He will be 3 this year and he is always talking about going to football games. A few months back we took him to Disney on Ice at Reliant and as we were walking up to the stadium he asked if we were going to the football game. These are wonderful memories and the best part is that they are just the beginning.

I am a huge football fan and it was great getting a team back in town and I will support them as long as I am around. Football is about winning and I want nothing but the best for the team, but these family moments and memories can make the losing even bearable

After hearing swt brag about the friends being made in the bullpen, I've decided to join myself. For over a year now, I've just read the ideas tossed around this message board. However, I believe it is time that I peform my civic duty as a true Texan fan and join in all the fun.

Congrats on 2000 there swt...you are officially part of the upper crust of Texan Societal Heirarchy. Try to remember us underlings as you toss your crumbs to the masses.:)

TexanFan80 said:
whats that
Click on your user cp in the upper left corner...you'll see your rep you'll get there and sometimes a little comment to go along with it. Just surf the different areas of the site...you'll find a few things. I would suggest to check out "The No Spin Zone". Word has it there is a lot of controversy there.:ok:

TexanFan80 said:
how do i look at other ppls rep
to the right, just below someone's # of posts, it's the green(possibly plural) or redish thingie. Hoover your mouse cursor over it and you'll see how loved/hated people are :)

Texan Asylum said:
Congrats on 2000 there swt...you are officially part of the upper crust of Texan Societal Heirarchy. Try to remember us underlings as you toss your crumbs to the masses.:)

HA! just because i've been here a while doesnt put me near in the same class as the other folks in this board....Vinny has probably forgotten more football than i will ever know.

swtbound07 said:
I had the most fun of my life on battle red day halloween, watching one of the best interception returns i will ever see. Thanks Faggins!
I hope one day i will have a little boy so i can share my team with him, and be that type of father.

That was a most excellent 2000th. Thank you for sharing that. And thanks for the kind words.

I was sitting in a buddy's seats for the Faggins interception on Battle Red and he jumped up right near where we were. My arm and all of my bestfriend were on the front page of the paper the next day. LOL. Most excellent game.

And now I will impart wisdom on you. All of my friends who really really wish for boys, end up with girls. I didn't care and was just hoping for healthy and I have one of each.

My son doesn't care for the games as much as he is a boy of action--he would rather be doing than watching. My 3 year old girl, who was a fan in utero for the first part of the 2002 season, loves the Texans, loves going to games and wants to stay until the end, just like mama. She sits nice and cozy in my lap and yells good stuff at mostly the right times. The kind people at the Texans Blitz put us on the cover of one issue as the Super Fans, which makes a fabu picture for the baby book.

Usually I don't take kids to games but it got hard figuring out who wanted to go last year. And even with some of the bad games, it led to some nice memories.

One of the reasons why I love football so much is remembering sitting with my mom and dad and watching sports. The NFL was the best--you got to know the players and you had teams you rooted for and teams you hated. It was a family thing to do, and now a days, other than the commercials, sports are pretty much the best thing to watch with kids.

Anyhow, I digress. Just wanted to make the point that it is completely OK to like both Barbies and football. (Though I have to say I am not so keen on Barbies these days because Mattel is turning her into more of a ho. But that is a point for another forum).

:redtowel:

ojthecat said:
You rock and I can't wait until the playoffs at Reliant Stadium we really with be Rockin and our D-Line the MEAN MACHINE will be crushing QB's for breakfast.
CATCHY RIGHT?:cool:

Texans_Chick said:
That was a most excellent 2000th. Thank you for sharing that. And thanks for the kind words.

I was sitting in a buddy's seats for the Faggins interception on Battle Red and he jumped up right near where we were. My arm and all of my bestfriend were on the front page of the paper the next day. LOL. Most excellent game.

And now I will impart wisdom on you. All of my friends who really really wish for boys, end up with girls. I didn't care and was just hoping for healthy and I have one of each.

My son doesn't care for the games as much as he is a boy of action--he would rather be doing than watching. My 3 year old girl, who was a fan in utero for the first part of the 2002 season, loves the Texans, loves going to games and wants to stay until the end, just like mama. She sits nice and cozy in my lap and yells good stuff at mostly the right times. The kind people at the Texans Blitz put us on the cover of one issue as the Super Fans, which makes a fabu picture for the baby book.

Usually I don't take kids to games but it got hard figuring out who wanted to go last year. And even with some of the bad games, it led to some nice memories.

One of the reasons why I love football so much is remembering sitting with my mom and dad and watching sports. The NFL was the best--you got to know the players and you had teams you rooted for and teams you hated. It was a family thing to do, and now a days, other than the commercials, sports are pretty much the best thing to watch with kids.

Anyhow, I digress. Just wanted to make the point that it is completely OK to like both Barbies and football. (Though I have to say I am not so keen on Barbies these days because Mattel is turning her into more of a ho. But that is a point for another forum).

:redtowel:

Well im definitely not opposed to a little girl....i've had a big part in raising my niece and i love her to death. Ideally i would get both. Lol wish i had known you back at the battle red game, I definitely would have said hello.

Nice post. I'm a big football fan (obviously) and my finest memories are the games my Father took me to as a child. He passed away several years ago, but every time I see the dome I remember those smoke filled (dome got smokey back then before the smoking ordinances) Oiler games I got to see when we were really crappy in the early 70's with my Dad....the team was awful but those were the best games of my life.

Vinny said:
Nice post. I'm a big football fan (obviously) and my best memories are the games my Father took me to as a child. He passed away several years ago, but every time I see the dome I remember those smoke filled (dome got smokey back then before the smoking ordinances) Oiler games I got to see when we were really crappy in the early 70's....the team was awful but those were the best games of my life.

Exactly.

With the kind of hours my dad worked, watching sports was the longest that I could hang out with my dad at one time.

nice post.. and i hope to join you in the 2,000 post club soon( still have a ways to go) but anyways real touching and nice post

Nice post, swt, and thanks for the love. Well said about the memories, too. My son was born a few months before the first season started, and I've got pictures of him with Texans infant clothes and all. He's got a little jersey that's getting to small, so we'll make the pilgrimage up to Academy for a new one soon. It's a grand adventure to him. He's gotta' wear his gear!

He has been in my lap for most of the away games the past four years, and this past season he was wondering why the football stopped all of a sudden (especially after having so much fun at the Superbowl party!). Man, it's a beautiful thing, hearing your kid ask you about football (his biggest question is if the are good guys or bad guys. He knows the Colts are baaaaaaad guys :D ).

I've got a lot of good memories with my family and football. It's a shared passion, something that you can all come together and just have fun sharing the experience. I still remember my first trip to the 'dome, to an Oilers game. I was just blown away and couldn't stop staring at the ceiling. It was just mind-boggling at the time, and then the crowd getting into the game and the rush of rooting our home team on just put the passion in me. I can't wait to take my kid to a game, and continue to pass down a family tradition. Hopefully, he'll have the passion, too, and we'll be able to share it for many years to come.

Loud, proud, and forever Texan! :texflag:

Back