Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mollywhopper Mock

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
1.25 - Garett Bolles, OT, Utah, 6-5 297

southern_utah_v_utah_0_1485276309.jpg

Hoping Ramczyk, Lamp, and Robinson are enough OL for the teams in front of us also doing some trench shopping to have us find this not so youngster still available. He's mean and he's talented and he could be just what we need to help an anemic offense. The guy actually looks kinda ridiculous at times when mirroring pass rushers he's so quick and agile. Could start out at RT and move over when it's time for Duane to move on or on the left and Duane sets up shop on the right where he can age gracefully.

2.57 - Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh, 6-2, 226

Nathan+Peterman+Pittsburgh+v+Clemson+I3rBQ0hmmcTl.jpg

The more I see of this kid play the more I feel he'd fit right into a groove working with OB. Very sound in his mechanics with an efficient set-up and delivery. Accurate, mobile/elusive. No cannon to speak of, but enough arm to not have a limited playbook. Seems to anticipate windows well due to solid all-around decision making. Also plays with a welcome aggressive competitiveness that's nice to see from the position. The guy's kinda the anti-weiler.

3.89 - Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson, 6-5, 258

Jordan+Leggett+Clemson+v+Ohio+State+Zg4d8pgcoDsl.jpg

No fancy scouting intel here, just every time I turned on a Clemson game this guy was making a pivotal play. Every single freaking time. Ball thrown between defenders for a tough play, Leggett goes up and gets it. 3rd and something important, Leggett catch to keep drive moving. Red zone opportunity down a score, Leggett score to even the game. Every freaking time. Sound unfamiliar Texans fans? ... I know.

4.131 - Elijah Lee, LB, Kansas St., 6-3, 228

linebacker-elijah-lee-of-the-kansas-state-wildcats-rushes-the-line-picture-id456866534

Quick, rangy, athletic LB'er who can play the run shooting gaps or turn and run up the seams or out in the flats with backs and TE's. Can be physical but doesn't fire downhill a lot. Has the awareness and movement to cover but could use some finer tuning on the when's where's and why's so as to become more reactionary and less thinking to adjust. Would love to see Vrabel get his head and hands on this kid.

4.142 - Josh Harvey-Clemons, S, Louisville, 6-4, 217

josh-harveyclemons-of-the-louisville-cardinals-in-action-against-the-picture-id503771530

Tough, athletic S/Money-backer who has a ton of range and can make damn near every tackle. Can get spun around in one-on-one coverage, but has the physical tools to improve in this area while being used scheme-wise to his strengths in the meantime. Could be a ST dynamo from the start.

5.169 - James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh, 6-1, 233

james_conner_pitt_9-3-16_2.jpg

Bruiser who can find his way through lanes and shed tacklers. Big guy who knows how to stay behind his pads. Can take over for Miller on short yardage situations. Can also catch the ball reliably out of the backfield. Well chronicled story defeating cancer all the while showing mental toughness and maturity that should carry well into the pro meat grinder. Just can't but think this kid will stomp his way one way or another into a quality role in this league.

7.243 -I have no good idea. Hope it's someone who makes the club. Meh.

So, a franchise anchor on the OL,
hopefully the future at QB,
a dynamic playmaker at TE,
an athletic LB who can tackle and cover,
a sure tackling S with range and versatility,
and a thumping RB who can run, catch, block, and convert in short yardage.

All in all while not perfect, I think the club would be at least a little better with this group of guys.

Love the first four. Those are some of my favorite guys in the draft.

Bolles - Best OT in the draft for me
Peterman - Not the most talented QB in this draft, but probably my favorite
Leggett - Playmaker, could drop due to subpar performance at loaded combine
Lee - Stud, makes plays all over the field

You get me those four and I might package the rest of those picks to try to get a high pick back next year.

I like it but I do have one observation . Is there room for 4 TEs ?

Fair question, but frankly I just want an offense that can push the ball down the field.

Don't care about a vet or if someone just signed a contract. Who best can keep this offense moving? I think Leggett can do some things these guys haven't much yet, and may the chips fall wherever.

Fair question, but frankly I just want an offense that can push the ball down the field.

Don't care about a vet or if someone just signed a contract. Who best can keep this offense moving? I think Leggett can do some things these guys haven't much yet, and may the chips fall wherever.

I'm on board with this. Need a safety somewhere in this mock. They are extremely thin there.

Love Bolles/Lee,Leggett some of my favorite players in this draft.

I'm on board with this. Need a safety somewhere in this mock. They are extremely thin there.

Love Bolles/Lee,Leggett some of my favorite players in this draft.

You mean a FS? JHC in the fourth is picked as a SS who'll start out more in the box then not but I believe can be groomed for more coverage responsibilities. Poor man's Landon Collins.

You mean a FS? JHC in the fourth is picked as a SS who'll start out more in the box then not but I believe can be groomed for more coverage responsibilities. Poor man's Landon Collins.

Yep, I'm really not that sold on Hal.

I like JHC, versatile in the box type but can play some on the backend. Barry Church would be a good comparison. Can you imagine having a guy like Melifonwu/Peppers back there?

Yep, I'm really not that sold on Hal.

I like JHC, versatile in the box type but can play some on the backend. Barry Church would be a good comparison. Can you imagine having a guy like Melifonwu/Peppers back there?

Not really sold on Melinfonwu, but I'd consider renting out my 16 year old for Peppers.

I've most certainly imagined it, bud.

And I agree, Church is a solid comp. for Clemons.

One of the better mocks I've seen recently. Really like the positions emphasized and players targeted. I'm not nearly as high on Peterman as everyone else seems to be but QB must be addressed with a high pick. It's time.

On the whole Safety discussion...Melinfonwu is an athletic freak but his tape doesn't quite match his athletic abilities. People are calling him a FS because of his athleticism but I don't see that with his skill sets. I think he's a SS who is a TE-eraser (a very valuable and rare skill set) who can also cover the slot and play the box in run support. I think Harvey-Clemons is similar but not as much potential to be a legit TE counter.

Anyway, those long Safety types don't need to be playing 30 yards downfield. They need to be matching up with TE's in the seams. As for Peppers, he's never really played a true Safety position so nobody really knows what he'll be. He's an athletic ball of clay but he is very raw in coverage. I think he'd be best utilized as a Rover/3rd Safety like Arizona uses Tyrann Mathieu. Let him patrol the edge, cover the flats, shut down screens, and blitz him. He's a phenomenal screen defender.

4.131 - Elijah Lee, LB, Kansas St., 6-3, 228

linebacker-elijah-lee-of-the-kansas-state-wildcats-rushes-the-line-picture-id456866534

Quick, rangy, athletic LB'er who can play the run shooting gaps or turn and run up the seams or out in the flats with backs and TE's. Can be physical but doesn't fire downhill a lot. Has the awareness and movement to cover but could use some finer tuning on the when's where's and why's so as to become more reactionary and less thinking to adjust. Would love to see Vrabel get his head and hands on this kid.

How's his back-pedal?

One of the things that always impressed me about Urlacher was the way he could watch the QB, drop back, & feel the routes all at the same time.

How's his back-pedal?

One of the things that always impressed me about Urlacher was the way he could watch the QB, drop back, & feel the routes all at the same time.

Don't see a ton of actual backpedal from him, so idk. More that he has quick hips and feet to turn, hop, and scoot once he id's the play direction. Like I said, he doesn't play super downhill (that's what McKinney is for) from what I've seen and from his positioning is usually ready to pivot and run to the play pretty fluidly.

Also like I said I get the feeling that his diagnostics haven't quite caught up with his athleticism and he appears to be reading a bit much and I'd hope that Vrabel can help turn that into reacting.

Reactions: JB
What do you guys think about the safety out of iowa, king? I really like what I've seen so far. Didn't test great at combine. Not a great athlete but a really good instinctive football player.

What do you guys think about the safety out of iowa, king? I really like what I've seen so far. Didn't test great at combine. Not a great athlete but a really good instinctive football player.

I like him alright. Tough to make the projection for him to safety as he seems to play man a lot and he's so often turning and running instead of reacting to the play unfolding in front of him. Decent but unspectacular athlete, good instincts, toughness, by all accounts loves the game. I think he'd be somewhere between an upgrade over an A Hal and a step down from a Glover Quin. Solid starter to complement a good secondary.

Got great ball skills lots of picks, like him alot for the intangibles.

Back