Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mike Williams?

Lloyd: "like 1 in a hundred?"

Mary: "More like 1 in a million"

Lloyd: "So your tellin me theres a chance!"

But seriously. Dont bank on him being there past #5.

I thought the Edwards kid from Michigan was considered the top receiver out of the draft.

I happen to think there will be a good chance Edwards is there at 13 but we pass because we need some help on offensive and defensive line.

El Tejano said:
I happen to think there will be a good chance Edwards is there at 13 but we pass because we need some help on offensive and defensive line.

Yeah, what good is a WR, if you dont have time to throw the ball?

Any of those guys would make an impact on this team. We would probably have to trade up to get one of these guys. The learning is to great for O-line, but I understand that Pace, McDougle, Victor Riley or Tra Thomas are unrestricted this off season. They would be an upgrade at the tackle position but at what price. At least they are gamers. Pollack and Babin would make a better pass rush combo than Babin/Wong. Move Wong to inside where he played in Minnesota. We need to figure out what to do with Wells, Armstrong, and Peek. They have upside, but are rarely used. I think they are more valuable as trade bait for mor picks.

You name all of those great Tackles that are UFA, but how many of them will Franchised? For sure Pace and Tra Thomas. Jones I doubt, and I don't know about Riley.

I have said this and I will say it again, I think another big play WR is what we are missing to complimant AJ and David Carr. We get another playmaker like Williams, and this offense could really get going.

Edwards will be selected before Williams, and with Williams taking a year off, I think he could drop to #13.

With Williams and Johnson at WR would you use Gaffney and Armstrong as trade bait befor their contracts come up. We don't use them in our "conservative" scheme and I think they have trade value because of their potential.

Do you really think Gaffney is going to be traded? Even if we get Williams? Gaffney had his best season ever. 632 yards(2nd most on team), on 41 grabs.(3rd most on the team.)

DC_ROCK said:
Do you really think Gaffney is going to be traded? Even if we get Williams? Gaffney had his best season ever. 632 yards(2nd most on team), on 41 grabs.(3rd most on the team.)

LoL, i can just picture us trading Gaffney and he goes to some other team and has a pro-bowl year.

As a rookie, he also had 41 catches. In 3 seasons he has 5 total rec. TDs. Big difference this season is the 20 receptions of 20 or more yards and that's more than Andre's 18. Alot has to do with the single coverage he was seeing courtesy of Andre. If he stays, which he probably will, he needs to get the ball more. We need to imploy a few more short to intermediate routes in our offense instead of looking for the deep ball on almost every pass play. We will control the ball better and the quicker throws mean fewer sacks.

playoffsin2005 said:
That's not saying much. Third down catches should be for 1st downs.
Only 6 WR's produced more on 3rd down in the entire NFL. 7th best in the NFL. Says much to me.

Lucky said:
Gaffney in '04:

5.3 Yards After Catch average (YAC) - 8th among WRs with 40+ catches
21 1st down receptions on 3rd down - 7th in NFL (21 3rd down catches/21 1st downs)
82.9 1st down/catch % ( 34/41 ) - 6th in the NFL

playoffsin2005 said:
That's not saying much. Third down catches should be for 1st downs.
It's saying something. It's saying that Gaffney knows where the 1st down marker is and doesn't run routes that come up short. Among the receivers who were 100% effective on 3rd down, only Mushin Muhammed had more 1st downs (22 to Gaff's 21).

Mike Williams will become one of the top WRs in the NFL, IMO. But, he's still just a #2 WR here. Unless the Texans change their offense, the #2 WR won't see the 100+ targets he'd need to justify the #13 selection. It's about allocating resources, and the Texans have greater needs than WR to spend the #13 pick on.

ALL of our problems on both sides of the ball can be traced back to the line. we dont need Williams.. we have a very nice WR corp already.. and if we had a line that could provide pass coverage, we would REALLY see them shine.

Williams will go to the bears.. the bears need a big physical dominating WR.. and williams is the only guy that really fits that in this draft.

as much as I would love to see Mike Williams on the other side of Andre Johnson it's not gonna happen. Not that I'm saying that he won't be there cause IMO it's a great chance that he will be. The Bears WILL take Braylon Edwards. Mike Williams would very likely drop to #13 cause of that year off of football. Had he not we would probably be talking about Chicago taking Williams and Edwards maybe falling to us.

But with weaknesses at D-Line, Safety and O-Line we probably won't be taking any recievers in the first 4 rounds. Besides when we upgrade the o-line I can see Gaffney and Johnson making a great combination. Whether or not it's going to be Harrison/Wayne or Holt/Bruce is beyond my prediction. But we should give Gaffney a chance.

Human Highlight Reel said:
But with weaknesses at D-Line, Safety and O-Line we probably won't be taking any recievers in the first 4 rounds.

Which safety is the weakness that you see being upgraded on the 1st day? And what makes you think there is any realistic chance the Texans will give up on Coleman after signing him to a new contract that is primarily signing bonus or on Earl (who they regarded as the 2nd best safety prospect last year) after only a few starts?

infantrycak said:
Which safety is the weakness that you see being upgraded on the 1st day? And what makes you think there is any realistic chance the Texans will give up on Coleman after signing him to a new contract that is primarily signing bonus or on Earl (who they regarded as the 2nd best safety prospect last year) after only a few starts?

You are correct Infantry. I have no idea where this clamore for a Safety and Left Tackel is coming from. To use first day picks on either would be a waste to me. Second day....sure, depth is allways a good thing. The ones we have in those positions are just fine , at least for the moment.

What about that kid from Ball State who entered the draft today.....Ridgeway I think his name is. I heard he has a frame just like Mike Williams and has TONS of talent........just haven't seen it yet. We could pick him up in the 3rd and he could be a steal.........

First off I think it was a huge mistake resigning him (Coleman).

What exactly are we getting from him? What's his stats like? When was the last time he made a big play for us? How many tackles does he have? How many INTs?

I don't know why in the world we would sign him back when it's just another old-underachieving-overpaid player taking up space on our roster, not producing for what his contract is worth.

This is ludacris, I don't know who is in charge of that type of **** but lemme guess, Seth Payne get's a 5yr/$40m contract. Corey Bradford 7yr/$50m. Come on bring some more ignorant moves. Go ahead and draft another running back in the first round, or waiting maybe draft a Kyle Orton with the 13th, and to be ohonest with you I wouldn't be suprised if they did.

This is absolutely insane. We need to bring the Patriots Draft Team in here or something. They always do a great job.

Human Highlight Reel said:
First off I think it was a huge mistake resigning him (Coleman).

What exactly are we getting from him? What's his stats like? When was the last time he made a big play for us? How many tackles does he have? How many INTs?

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I seem to remember a Texans' player who was playing safety for the first time wearing number 42 who made a play when we played against Kansas City. He returned an interception for something like 102 yards. Seems like that play lighted a fire in the Texans, and we ultimately won that game. I'm not sure who that player is, but we should try and extend his contract to lock him up for a few more years.

As far as this Coleman guy's stats they're pretty minimal. He only had 56 Tackles in 12 games, and he had 2 INTs for a meager 116 yards, and only 1 TD. Whats that about? Only one TD on a defense that scored 2 (including Coleman's) total TDs off interceptions. Get this he even played injured in a few of those 12 games. Come on! If your hurt then get off the field, and don't try to play through it for the sake of your team. This guy has no place at all in the NFL.

Kiper has Mike Williams going mid round (if he works out as a WR) and has him going to the Texans. He may work out as an H-back/TE from the what Kiper said. That being said, I don't want projects and he's never played TE but he could be an intriguing TE/WR hybrid for us or other teams. Sometimes he could line up at TE, sometimes slot, sometimes outside. But no one knows if he can or ever would learn the nuances of a TE . Ever since his freshman year there has been talk of him possibly becoming an NFL tight end. He'd be a great receiving tight end for us who could stretch the field and cause mismatches w/ smaller CB's and even some LB if he adds 10 pounds. I don't want to pick him that's just where Kiper has him going. Heath Miller would be a good pick at 13 or a good O/D lineman (Derrick Johnson if for some reason he dropped that far :jumpbanan )

I find it hard to believe he'd go that early if he does end up a TE. He doesnt have any blocking experience so regardless of how good of hands he has he isnt going to be that great of a TE when he gets drafted.

IMO unless Williams has some really good tryouts, i dont see him going any earlier than #7, Mell Kiper thinks he will fall mid first round and said today that if so would likely go to the texans, however he didnt mention Derrick Johnson in his top 10 either. :: aslo Braylon Edwards has the highest stock out of recievers right now, for the simple fact that Williams has sat out a year and Edwards has played all 4 of his and if a team in the top 10 need a reciever Edwards will prob be the first to go.:: and on Jabar Gaffney, he is more of a possesion reciever, cant really burn you, cant really jump over you, Mike Williams who has a similar combo of speed a height like andre and would free up much more coverage for him. Gaffney could be traded regardless of his amazing 600 yards /sarcasm

I almost hate to say this but Mike Williams deserves to be playing in La La Land (Raiders) & not the Texans. Edwards is far more the complementive WR to AJ. He would be the Texans true #2 & a great pick if he should fall to #13 at least thats my IMO :twocents:

beerlover said:
I almost hate to say this but Mike Williams deserves to be playing in La La Land (Raiders) & not the Texans. Edwards is far more the complementive WR to AJ. He would be the Texans true #2 & a great pick if he should fall to #13 at least thats my IMO :twocents:
Braylon Edwards or Derrick Johnson would be awesome for the Texans If either were available at 13 we'd have to take one or Heath Miller. great point beerlover. AJ/Edwards/Gaffney that'd be great and would rival any WR trio in the league. I have liked Edwards better than Williams for quite some time now. Question is who would you rather have Edwards or Johnson? Either would be great but I'll take Johnson, and take a WR in the 2 or 3 rnd.

for what could we possibly need a first day WR?
we don't even utilize the guys we have now
don't forget we still have starling

honestly i couldnt say. it would depend on who was taken ahead of us, and who will most likely be available later.. cause in that situation id be tempted to trade down.

But if I HAD to choose one of them... id probably take Williams. I feel that Johnson is great but may not be great for our system... and there are always quality Tweeners we can grab to play LB for us. Miller.. I really just dont know that much about him.. is he a good blocking TE? if so I may take him over Williams.. but still.. Williams I think is probably the most straight up talented player of those 3.. and taking williams would give us a very talented, and very cheap WR group for the next 5 years or so. And later on.. if we decide we dont need Williams, or Andre for that matter (god forbid.. i love andre).. then one of them could make very nice trade bait.

Johnson.

Williams: We cant get the ball to the recievers we have right now.

Miller: We need an experienced TE.

Johnson: A playmaker who can give you great field position.

eh.. I wasnt really considering whether we needed any of them as much as BPA. I think williams is better than johnson.

Can't top that. What we got is what we got. Spending that kind of money on a # 2 who'll only see 45 balls or less seems unlikely. I saw someone packing Armstrong off in a trade and I just shook my head. You don't trade away good young prospects.The only two things Armstong needs is some seasoning and an opportunity IMHO.
I mean Last year if I remember correctly, Roy Williams knocked their socks off at his UT work out and they stuck to their guns and went with thier plan. We got the best rookie cover corner and a good prospect at oslb. What I can't understand is some services had MW rated higher than Roy last year and this year in everyone mocks he is sliding. As bad as their lines are I don't see MW getting past Tampa or Chicago. And even if he does the Cleveland game pointed out this teams glaring needs. We can't pass rush and we can't protect the passer very well. Not good. And... our best defensive play maker can't get himself onto the feild for all three downs. I guess the wonderlick(s.p. ?) numbers do mean something after all. Seems to me and I've been wrong every year so far, those are the areas the Texan's will address on the first day. JMHO.

Back