Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Mike Devlin - Texans New OL Coach

I wouldn't put too much stock in those numbers. If Devlin brings him in, then he knows something those numbers don't. You know the OL is a group & really should be looked at as such.

Was your boy Colon the bright spot, or the weak link? Maybe he was the only one who got what Devlin was saying.

I don't know the guy, but if he's young enough & clearly demonstrates the ability to perform consistently at a high level... & Devlin likes him, why not?

W.Colon led the Jets in false starts with 7 and total penalties with 12. Four of the other 5 penalties were holding calls.

LINK

Hopefully he doesn't teach our OL to thug it up and play dirty. Hate that crap from OLs like, for example, the Titans.

Was Devlin the coach of the Jets OL when that asshole Matt Slauson dove at Brian Cushing's knee and ruined his career?

Any of the PFF guys here have any metrics for Willie Colon?

Curious if a seasoned vet like him might be interested in following his OL coach here as an affordable/effective plug and play RG.

I know it's off topic, and I am sorry

but what kind of parents call their child Dick Ass?

I don't even want to imagine what his childhood in school was like.

In elementary school the kids probably didn't make that connection and I'm betting he was big enough to take care of himself in high school
:)

I would guess he's named after the famous Puerto Rican singer with the same name and not Dick Ass.

I would guess he's named after the famous Puerto Rican singer with the same name and not Dick Ass.

Still, not the greatest choice imo.

I know a guy called Brown Bear (translated from italian) and a girl named White Chicken... You coul'd argue there were better names for someone called Colon I think :)

Still, not the greatest choice imo.

I know a guy called Brown Bear (translated from italian) and a girl named White Chicken... You coul'd argue there were better names for someone called Colon I think :)

I know you're making a funny here but his name is actually Colón; translated in English it would be Columbus. Not that Dick Columbus is much better either.:fingergun:

I know you're making a funny here but his name is actually Colón; translated in English it would be Columbus. Not that Dick Columbus is much better either.:fingergun:

oh pardon, didn't know that...

btw the italian word for Columbus is also used as a synonym to Pigeon

so... Dick Pigeon :D

[IMGwidthsize=50]http://pngimg.com/upload/pigeon_PNG3419.png[/IMG]

[imgwidthsize=400]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtRT4AD07yHUgvce9cMWwfb6TXufnKqsG5gR0Xv_4c1_0l4n1X[/IMG]
:foottap:

T Duane Brown

(on what having a year under this system and with these coaches) “It’s going to help us a lot. I think last year, it was a bit overwhelming for some people especially guys that were in one system for our whole career. Making that change and kind of learning on the go for everybody, staff included. As the season went on, we got more familiar with the system, got more familiar with each other, how we interact, and things like that. Being that we are all familiar with it now, I think it will definitely help us, especially up front.”

(on if he has talked to new Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin) “Yeah, I like him a lot. I like him a lot. He’s a great coach. I got a chance to talk to some of his former players that he worked with. Just being able to talk to him personally about things outside of football as well as football. I think he’s going to be great for us and I’m looking forward to working with him.”

MDevlin_zpsamvfauxe.jpg

New Texans offensive line coach Mike Devlin earns praise

Mike Devlin, the Texans' new offensive line coach, played two years at Dulles High School when his father, the late John Devlin, coached linebackers for the Oilers in 1984-85.

Devlin, 45, learned a lot from his father, who coached for 37 years before suffering a fatal heart attack.

"My father was always God, family and be trustworthy," Devlin said during an OTA this week. "My father could always make a player - and using myself as an example - better than what he might be.

"He could always make me feel like I could run through a brick wall. He had that unique ability. I try to use those lessons I learned from him when I'm teaching."

Devlin is the team's only new position coach. Coach Bill O'Brien hired him to replace Paul Dunn, who was fired after last season.

Devlin, who played at Iowa, was Buffalo's fifth-round pick in 1993. He had a seven-year playing career before entering coaching. He spent nine seasons coaching tight ends and the offensive line with the New York Jets.

"The linemen and the line coach have to be very, very sharp."

O'Brien knew what he wanted in his new line coach.

"He's definitely a tough person physically and mentally," O'Brien said. "He brings a lot of mental toughness. He arrives early, stays late and tries to figure out what we can do to be better in addition to learning our offense, which is tough.

"He's a really bright guy and a good communicator, and I think the players have really taken to him."

Left tackle Duane Brown and center Ben Jones have been impressed with their new coach - their third in three years.

"Coach Devlin's done an incredible job," Brown said. "He knows his stuff. He's very technique-sound, a fiery guy but still gives you constructive criticism. It's been a pleasure working with him."

Devlin is overseeing Jones' transition from left guard to center.

"It's been amazing, just his way of teaching," Jones said. "He's very hands-on in the meeting room. He has you standing up and going through things so you can visualize by the X's and O's on the board; you really grasp the offense. He makes everybody know it (the offense), not just the center and guard. He wants everybody on the same page. It's been night and day how we're picking up blitzes.

"He understands personnel. He knows how to communicate, and he knows how to push you, too. You can't just have (someone) who's going to grind you into the ground and not do something that's feasible to football."
Devlin is demanding but fair.

"I believe in three fundamental things - play smart, play with your heart and hustle," he said. "We try to do those things and learn every day."
After spending so many years with the Jets, Devlin was eager to learn a new system.

"The opportunity to come here and learn this system is a huge challenge," Devlin said. "It forces me to learn every day, which I like.

"I'm learning Coach O'Brien and (offensive coordinator George) Godsey's vision of it. I'm learning to look at it a different way. And, hopefully, that's expanding my coaching ability and how I teach."

Head Coach Bill O'Brien

(on Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin) “I think he’s a hell of a coach. I think he’s added a lot to this staff. I don’t think this is an easy job to come into and learn all the things that we do right off the bat, especially from a protection standpoint, a run game standpoint, and how we allow the quarterback at the line of scrimmage to direct us to the right play. The lineman and the line coach have to be very, very sharp and I think he’s come in here and done a really, really good job. He’s been very impressive.”

(on Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin’s personality) “He’s certainly a tough guy. He’s definitely a tough person physically and mentally. He played in this league. He was an offensive lineman for the Bills back in the Jim Kelly days. He’s a guy that brings a lot of mental toughness to the workroom and to the meetings room because of another guy that arrives early, stays late, and tries to figure out what we can do to be better in addition to learning our offense, which is tough. He’s a very bright guy. He’s a very smart guy. I saw that right away when I interviewed him. Just a really bright guy, a good communicator, and I think the players have really taken to him as a coach.”

T Duane Brown

(on what the difference is with Offensive Line Coach Mike Devlin coaching them this season) “Coach Devlin’s done an incredible job. He’s a very experienced person, he played a long time in the league, he’s coached a long time in the league, and he knows his stuff. He’s very technique sound and tries to keep us technique sound. Fiery guy but still gives you constructive criticism, so it’s been a pleasure so far working with him.”

Last edited:
Back