Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McNair speaks...

The Texans’ performance in their last five games will determine the fate of coach Gary Kubiak and his assistants.
We heard this before. I think that was the "Leave Carr Alone!" catch phrase once we fell out of contention (on queue of course).

"Right now I have a coach"

Linky

wow. 'right now' i have a coach. that was what they call a shot across the broadsides. Hopefully its purpose will be to let the team and coaching staff know that they are all playing for their jobs. Even mentioning 10-6 shows that it might be win out and try and sneak in playoffs at 10-6 or that Kubiak may not be his coach 'right then'.

You can kind of see it both ways but the whole 10-6 thing means he may be at wits end with Kubiak. He is a fan too and he has seen the same football we have seen. I am sure he is thinking about making a move. He is not at the point of actually doing it but its gotta be in his mind.

The problem is to make a move that would actually improve things its going to take either risking 3 or 4 years with another unproven head coach or that McNair is going to have to pony up the big money and bring in a guy like Cowher/Holmgren/Shott. Those guys all have a proven track record of success and stability. I don't think its going to cost 10$million for Cowher though. He will have to be the highest paid coach but he is arguably the highest qualified coach out there available so you get what you pay for. I bet 7million gets it done. That is more than Spurrier stole from the Skins but not quite the Holmgren GM/Head Coach salary that he got from Paul Allen of the Seahawks.

Last edited:
McNair said a big part of the blame should be placed on players who continue to make mistakes that cost them games rather than making plays that pull out victories.

“The coaches responsibility is to get the players ready,” McNair said. “I think they’ve done that. Opposing teams haven’t been doing things we haven’t prepared for. There haven’t been surprises.

“The players have to perform on the field. They have to develop that consistency. The coaches can’t run, catch, throw and tackle. They’re not in the huddle. That’s on the players. Players know that.

“When the coaches don’t put the players in the best position, they tell the players that one was on me, and it won’t happen again.”
This is a quote from Bob McNair....sooooooo, Kubiak has said it was 'on him' about 700 times this year, or so. More or less.

Seems like he's content...

Then he is content with another year of "sucky" football in Htown! McNair needs to grow a "pair" & get a PROVEN head coach! It's this kind of talk from our boss that I wish we had an owner like.....GASP, YIKES......Jerry Jones! :roast:

This is a quote from Bob McNair....sooooooo, Kubiak has said it was 'on him' about 700 times this year, or so. More or less.

Sounds about right to me. No wonder they are inconsistent. They aren't held accountable if it is always on him.

"“We’re starting to develop leadership on the team, but we’re not there yet,” he said. “They need to step up and take charge when they’re on the field and not let these mental lapses occur. Maybe we need to bring in more players to develop more leadership. We’ll have to see how we do in these last five games."

I found this snippet very interesting. It seems like Mcnair feels the same way I feel regarding the veteran leadership (or lack of) on this team. What that quote tells me is that even if Kubiak wins out and we somehow sneak into the playoffs because the teams in front of us collapse, Mcnair will not tolerate going another year without any quality vets in the starting lineup to hold the young players together during crunch time.

Seems to me we have a bigger problem than I originally thought. The players are blaming the fans, the fans are blaming the coach, the owner is blaming the players and the coach says it is all on him.

McNair said a big part of the blame should be placed on players who continue to make mistakes that cost them games rather than making plays that pull out victories.

I don't know, but it sounds to me that Kubiak stays unless we lose the rest of the games.

He will have to be the highest paid coach but he is arguably the highest qualified coach out there available so you get what you pay for. I bet 7million gets it done. That is more than Spurrier stole from the Skins but not quite the Holmgren GM/Head Coach salary that he got from Paul Allen of the Seahawks.

We are paying Dunta 9 million to get pass interference calls every game...

I'd gladly pay a high quality HOF caliber HC like Cowher 10 million. He'd be worth every penny compared to the typical "big name FA" signing or our "franchise CB"

Reading through it a second time, its not quite as bad. The 'right now' comment is still pretty brutal but he holds the players feet to the fire as much as kubiak and the coaching staff. the whole '10-6' though....

....what has Bob been smoking? I would love to see it happen but that ain't happenin'. no way no how.

Just bring Dan Reeves in to tell you whatever you want to hear, Bob. It worked so well the first time.

“This is a critical time,” McNair said. “My true feeling is we have our best chance of developing a winning team with Gary as opposed to someone else, at this point in time. Making a change is very disruptive.
“Even though you’re very sound and have a good relationship with the players, you still have to get them to perform. If we win the next five games, we’d be 10-6 and in the playoff race. That would be an outstanding performance. If we lose the next five, well, we’re in trouble.”
Clearly McNairs inclination and desire is to retain Kubiak, so the job would appear to be the current HCs to lose ? But lose it he can depending on how he does in the remaining 5 games.

The Texans’ performance in their last five games will determine the fate of coach Gary Kubiak and his assistants.
We heard this before. I think that was the "Leave Carr Alone!" catch phrase once we fell out of contention (on queue of course).

I just want to make sure it's clear, for those who don't take the time to go & read the whole link... which they should, I can't remember McNair saying so much at one time, but those are John McClain's words, not McNair's.

“The coaches responsibility is to get the players ready,” McNair said. “I think they’ve done that. Opposing teams haven’t been doing things we haven’t prepared for. There haven’t been surprises.

“The players have to perform on the field. They have to develop that consistency. The coaches can’t run, catch, throw and tackle. They’re not in the huddle. That’s on the players. Players know that.

“When the coaches don’t put the players in the best position, they tell the players that one was on me, and it won’t happen again.”

McNair said leadership among the players is of the utmost importance.

“We’re starting to develop leadership on the team, but we’re not there yet,” he said. “They need to step up and take charge when they’re on the field and not let these mental lapses occur. Maybe we need to bring in more players to develop more leadership. We’ll have to see how we do in these last five games.

“I think the coaches have done a good job. We don’t have the record I hoped we’d have, and that’s disappointing. I know Gary’s disappointed, too. The key is for us to focus on going to Jacksonville and trying to win this game. If we keep it at six losses, we’re still in the hunt.”

These are McNair's words.... at least some of them, & it seems he's very happy with what the coaches have done. He's dissappointed with the development with the players as leaders, & seems to have a very good understanding of the game.

Try to think about the strongest on the field leader who will be available in FA... & that's probably who we'll add to this team.

Not a Cedric Benson, Haynesworth, Larry Johnson or anything like that.

Maybe a Ladanian Tomlinson.. Ed Reed or something like that.

Last edited:
Vinny said:

I was just going to post that excerpt. I don't know how he figures the team is so well prepared to play; they sure don't look it at times. It looks like McNair is absolving Kubiak and blaming the players. I don't buy it; even ignoring the question of who picked the players.

How can the players be so well prepared if they make mistakes game after game? It's not just one or two players either; it's many players or even whole units. Someone is always screwing up - where do all of these someones converge?

Seems to me we have a bigger problem than I originally thought. The players are blaming the fans, the fans are blaming the coach, the owner is blaming the players and the coach says it is all on him.

I don't know, but it sounds to me that Kubiak stays unless we lose the rest of the games.
Sounds like nobody knows what the hell they are looking at over there off Fannin. You know McNair is gonna do the same thing he did with Carr. Kubiak's teams will beat Seattle and the Rams since nothing is on the line and they will blame the lack of winning a few more games on injuries as if the Colts totally collapsed once Freeney, Sanders and Marlin Jackson went down.

Crap, now I have to hope Houston loses to Jacksonville. Even McNair can't "chicken salad" 4 straight divisional losses right in the middle of a playoff race.

(oh and before anybody says I'm "not a true fan" shove it......don't even go there.)

and all of this right after I was giving McNair the benefit of the doubt in another thread...

I was just going to post that excerpt. I don't know how he figures the team is so well prepared to play; they sure don't look it at times. It looks like McNair is absolving Kubiak and blaming the players. I don't buy it; even ignoring the question of who picked the players.

How can the players be so well prepared if they make mistakes game after game? It's not just one or two players either; it's many players or even whole units. Someone is always screwing up - where do all of these someones converge?
They look sloppy constantly....it's like watching Fox News when you hear Texan Management speak nowdays. I bet they change the crowd shot next.

This is what I go back to. Carr got the same vote of confidence toward the end of the season in 2006. Didn't take too long before he was out on his ass.

Vinny said:

They look sloppy constantly....it's like watching Fox News when you hear Texan Management speak nowdays. I bet they change the crowd shot next.

This is just super. The players know what's what. They know when they aren't being coached well, they know when the coaches aren't prepared, they damn well know when the coach isn't putting the best players on the field.

Having the owner then throw them under the bus while pumping up the coaching staff...this may be interesting to watch.

We are paying Dunta 9 million to get pass interference calls every game...

I'd gladly pay a high quality HOF caliber HC like Cowher 10 million. He'd be worth every penny compared to the typical "big name FA" signing or our "franchise CB"

head coach doesn't count against the salary cap. its where you can really help your team without worry. I would be OK with paying Cowher $10million but I am not quite sure that McNair would be. I am not even sure Kubiak makes over $2 million. That is a big step up in coaching salary, not to mention he is going to want big $$ to bring his coaches in.

I want change to happen and it actually could be a good business move in the end for McNair's Texans. Cowher would FULLY energize and legitimize this team. We would definitely get more national exposure for sure and probably an extra nationally televised game or even two more. If you add a Cowher and a nice offseason in the draft and FA we could TRULY be a force to be reckoned with.

Tell you what Bob. Sign Bill Cowher and pass the cost down to the consumer. Your already charging me $7.25 for a beer, why not keep the .75 and make it an even $8. Use the extra 'surcharge' to subsidize signing Cowher. Increase parking lot costs $2.50 a game. Make it cost like $4 or 5 on average more per fan to go to the game and get a coach that will actually send people home happy and with a big win. That would generate between 2 or 3 million more annually.

From our experience of how Carr was handle by McNair, I don't think McNair gonna come out saying Kubiak this and that to stir things up. Like how Carr was to McNair, Kubiak is to McNair. It is Kubiak to lose his job not McNair to fire.

I see McNair letting Kubiak to be HC for at least one more year.

Go Texans!!!

Then he is content with another year of "sucky" football in Htown! McNair needs to grow a "pair" & get a PROVEN head coach! It's this kind of talk from our boss that I wish we had an owner like.....GASP, YIKES......Jerry Jones! :roast:

Other than the Jets game, I don't remember much sucky football this year.

They've all been really good games.

BTW...

Does anyone remember if Capers also got the "vote of confidence" in 2005?

I don't think he did. If I remember correctly, everyone including Capers knew he was history. But, if anything was said, it wasn't this more or less ringing endorsement.

Crap, now I have to hope Houston loses to Jacksonville. Even McNair can't "chicken salad" 4 straight divisional losses right in the middle of a playoff race.

(oh and before anybody says I'm "not a true fan" shove it......don't even go there.)

and all of this right after I was giving McNair the benefit of the doubt in another thread...

If all that matters, is that we make the play-offs, then why would you want us to lose another game?

Now isn't the time to give up... we're one game away from that.

Let Kubiak do what he do.

I don't understand anyone thinking right now, that we are playing for nothing. Every game from here until our next loss means more than any game we ever played.

Everything is on the line, now.

If this is how he really feels, then the emperor has no clothes. And the fans are getting ready to jump.

You guys say what you want about Bud Adams, but at least he knew when to drop the hammer on someone (except for Bum.) We all knew that Jerry Glanville wasn't going to get us past the wild card game and it was time for a change.

This is the Ed Biles/Chuck Studley era of the Texans.

I don't understand anyone thinking right now, that we are playing for nothing. Every game from here until our next loss means more than any game we ever played.

everything was on the line the last two weeks. This team will step up once ousted...that's how we have done it in the Kubiak era and he has given us no reason to believe otherwise.

The problem is, once Kubes finishes out at 3-2 to reach 8-8 how does this team get spun as an improvement? Last year it was all Sage and Richard Smith's fault. Apparently they've been replaced by a team full of screw-ups.

The Texans are in real danger of not building the right way!

:sarcasm:

I still don't what he says behind closed doors and I am not sure he'd call out Gary in the paper.

This kinda reminds me of "we have our quarterback" when McNair and Casserly were be questioned about them drafting Vince Young.

This is just super. The players know what's what. They know when they aren't being coached well, they know when the coaches aren't prepared, they damn well know when the coach isn't putting the best players on the field.
Having the owner then throw them under the bus while pumping up the coaching staff...this may be interesting to watch.

i think we will find out over the last 5 games how the players feel about there coaches.

If this plays out like it did with David Carr then McNair will keep Kubiak for another year no matter what. And it will turn out to be a year too long once again. Sometimes you can have too much patience for your own good.

I wonder if McNair noticed how many seats in sold out Reliant were filled with Colts fans because Texan fans sold their tickets? It was disgusting. Open your eyes!

If all that matters, is that we make the play-offs, then why would you want us to lose another game?

Now isn't the time to give up... we're one game away from that.

I'm going to speak for CB. He's tired of seeing the SOS.

If it takes a loss to the Jags to affect change then so be it.

Not that I feel this way.

After reading this thread Kubes will be back unless the team falls on its collective faces.

If Bob wanted to make a differece on this teams record this year he should have been on board with signing LJ. Who ran for over 100 yds. BTW

Keep on fooling the masses Bob and keep on cashing those checks.

Chior boys and the NFL dont mix.

I'm laughing my ass off at this thread. Do you guys not really see what Bob McNair is trying to say here?

Read between the lines. If I were Gary, I'd call my realtor and put my house up for sale. The odds of him being employed in a few months are slim.

McNair has had enough.

WHAT?!?!?

We had two weeks to prepare for Vince Young and the option. As coach, I would have had one of my quickest scrubs out there as VY (during practice) running the option to Arian Foster or Moats. And that's ALL I would have been doing. For two weeks. Nothing else. Just that.

And when that option was called during the MNF game, my defense would have played it perfectly and would have nailed it from the very get-go. And it would have flustered VY and the Titans.

But instead, we looked lost and were trying to just hang on as best we could. The Titans got back to doing what VY does best: Using him as a running threat, and pairing him with CJ on the option run play.

If our coaches couldn't prepare the players any better than what I saw on MNF, then how can McNair say all this crap?

He's as full of crap as his past two coaches have been.

I didn't think I could be any more red-ass'd than I was earlier today, but this little gem just takes the cake.

Go Texans...

WHAT?!?!?

We had two weeks to prepare for Vince Young and the option. As coach, I would have had one of my quickest scrubs out there as VY (during practice) running the option to Arian Foster or Moats. And that's ALL I would have been doing. For two weeks. Nothing else. Just that.

And when that option was called during the MNF game, my defense would have played it perfectly and would have nailed it from the very get-go. And it would have flustered VY and the Titans.

But instead, we looked lost and were trying to just hang on as best we could. The Titans got back to doing what VY does best: Using him as a running threat, and pairing him with CJ on the option run play.

If our coaches couldn't prepare the players any better than what I saw on MNF, then how can McNair say all this crap?

He's as full of crap as his past two coaches have been.

I didn't think I could be any more red-ass'd than I was earlier today, but this little gem just takes the cake.

Go Texans...

Ok, no joke. I see what you mean about the MNF game. I'm still pissed off about it, and can't understand why we were not prepared.

But, reading the entire story, I read McNair's comments differently. I think he's done with Kubiak. I read it as: "Gary, if you don't win the rest of these games, your ass is grass. And, your ass might me grass anyway."

McNair is not playing around.

Well, based on McNair's comments, I'd like to take a crack at predicting how next season will go.... Texans start off the season with high hopes all around until they drop their first two or three games. As the faithful begin to cry for "No" Clubiak's head, the Texans pull out two sloppy wins in a row against teams they should have demolished. The Kubiak Koolaide club begins to start with the "reasons" why we need to keep him and why he is the only coach who can take this team to the next level. They also begin to enumerate all the excuses why the Texans haven't won in the past and say this year will be different, "just look at the winning streak we are on." Suddenly, the team goes into a five game nose dive. But wait! we are still in it don't lose hope! The team bounces back and wins three more. At 5-7 anything could happen now. maybe this is the year. The team wins another two games. The Kubiak crowd is relieved! Whoo back to good old 500 ball. That was close. And they show it. With nothing left to win the team splits the last two and all the Kub fans are happy and are screaming for a contract extension. The cries of one more year go up and McNair joyfully renews his guy. The rest of us wonder what calamity has to hit before something new happens. Oh Well, we just fall back on the Texans motto "Wait Till next year!"

If this plays out like it did with David Carr then McNair will keep Kubiak for another year no matter what. And it will turn out to be a year too long once again. Sometimes you can have too much patience for your own good.

I wonder if McNair noticed how many seats in sold out Reliant were filled with Colts fans because Texan fans sold their tickets? It was disgusting. Open your eyes!

How about we start blaming the fans first for selling their tickets?

How about we start blaming the fans first for selling their tickets?

After the monday night game against the Titans who could blame them. The Texans had 2 weeks to prepare. When the pressure is on they crumble. And for icing on the cake now all the VY nut huggers are back out of their closets.

Ok, no joke. I see what you mean about the MNF game. I'm still pissed off about it, and can't understand why we were not prepared.

But, reading the entire story, I read McNair's comments differently. I think he's done with Kubiak. I read it as: "Gary, if you don't win the rest of these games, your ass is grass. And, your ass might me grass anyway."

McNair is not playing around.

OK, after I took two chill pills (and read your post, then re-read the bolded part of McNair's statement) I think what McNair MIGHT be saying is this:

"Our coaches didn't prepare the team. It's not like our opponents threw in some secret gadget plays that we didn't know about. We faced opponents who did things that we could have stopped. But we didn't. And, players were not doing even the basic things out there...like tackling."

I think the part about McNair saying "...and coaches say 'that's on me'...." might be McNair admitting that you can only say "it's on me" so many times before it isn't a smart answer anymore.

I don't know that he has to win every single game left on the schedule in order to remain here. I don't get that vibe. I think he has to have a tremendous collapse and finish 8-8 or worse. 9-7, though, might not cut the cake if McNair doesn't like how the 7th loss went down.

Back