Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McNair Press Conference

LCROD said:
With the Kubiack talk, its obvious he is our #1 choice. NFL rules mandate that a minority be interviewed and I'm sure theres something about hiring a coach who is already in the playoffs. Would seem a matter of time before Kubiack is announced. So it seems to me.

Based on the criteria McNair laid out, Kubiak falls short in that he's never been a head coach at any level. I'm sure he'll still get an interview and could still be high on the list, however.

HoustonFrog said:
Yeah I heard that and posted that above right after I wrote that comment. It sounds like they are keeping him but with Depends diapers on where he has safety nets.

Sorry, but that's not my take at all on Casserly's position. I think they verified that Casserly was simply getting what the coaching staff wanted in many cases. I think there will be more checks and balances in the system than before. Casserly is simply the faciliator. He is not the person who makes the decision. And if you listen closely, you will hear Mr. McNair say that.

aj. said:
Based on the criteria McNair laid out, Kubiak falls short in that he's never been a head coach at any level. I'm sure he'll still get an interview and could still be high on the list, however.

Don't look for the obvious. That's why I put up the names I did. I would not at all be surprised by someone like Chucky. McNair knows he needs the best, at least he seemed to imply that.

Ibar_Harry said:
Sorry, but that's not my take at all on Casserly's position. I think they verified that Casserly was simply getting what the coaching staff wanted in many cases. I think there will be more checks and balances in the system than before. Casserly is simply the faciliator. He is not the person who makes the decision. And if you listen closely, you will hear Mr. McNair say that.

Well that isn't how I heard it. I think they all took responsibility and that the new coach would still get imput and that if there was a discussion, it would then go to McNair. They just said the same on the radio. That is how I took it. I think he definitely won't be the final say.

HoustonFrog said:
Well that isn't how I heard it. I think they all took responsibility and that the new coach would still get imput and that if there was a discussion, it would then go to McNair. They just said the same on the radio. That is how I took it. I think he definitely won't be the final say.

Go back and replay the news conference. What he said was that at the present time the coaches and the GM made those decisions together and that the coaching staff had a lot of input and the GM does not simply pick some one and say use him. What he did say in the future was if there was a difference between the two and they could not reach a decision, they he would make the final decision. He said consistantly that Charly had simply filled in the blanks pretty much based on what the coaching staff wanted. Again replay the interview closely.

Ibar_Harry said:
Go back and replay the news conference. What he said was that at the present time the coaches and the GM made those decisions together and that the coaching staff had a lot of input and the GM does not simply pick some one and say use him. What he did say in the future was if there was a difference between the two and they could not reach a decision, they he would make the final decision. He said consistantly that Charly had simply filled in the blanks pretty much based on what the coaching staff wanted. Again replay the interview closely.

I still don't think that gives him anymore power than he had before. Where did he say that all of a sudden Charlie's word would have more weight?Just there is a method to resolve disputes.

Ibar_Harry said:
Go back and replay the news conference. ....He said consistantly that Charly had simply filled in the blanks pretty much based on what the coaching staff wanted. Again replay the interview closely.

I think someone else needs to go back and have another listen.

He said that Casserly made the final decision on draft choices with input from the coaches. He said Casserly always talked to the coaches and he didn't make the picks 'arbitrarily.' He didn't say that Casserly ALWAYS picked the player(s) the coaches wanted.

He also said the current process is that McNair could make a decision if there is disagreement between the two parties.

He also said that the future process may not be the same,

HoustonFrog said:
I still don't think that gives him anymore power than he had before. Where did he say that all of a sudden Charlie's word would have more weight?Just there is a method to resolve disputes.

You totally misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that Casserly has always relyed on the coaching staff and basically did not make any decision in a vaccum. In fact he probably was simply a facilitator. He was told who they wanted and he went out and got them. That has been my belief all along. Casserly did not supply DOM anyone he didn't want except for perhaps Carr and AJ. Capers wanted TJ, BJ and a host of others and his wish was granted. Buchannon was a Capers wish through Fangio. That's what I believe McNair is saying among other things. I think he has decided to have some review which he perhaps didn't in the past, but he has probably been told to do so by his minority shareholders.

Ibar_Harry said:
You totally misunderstand what I'm saying. I'm saying that Casserly has always relyed on the coaching staff and basically did not make any decision in a vaccum. In fact he probably was simply a facilitator. He was told who they wanted and he went out and got them. That has been my belief all along. Casserly did not supply DOM anyone he didn't want except for perhaps Carr and AJ. Capers wanted TJ, BJ and a host of others and his wish was granted. Buchannon was a Capers wish through Fangio. That's what I believe McNair is saying among other things. I think he has decided to have some review which he perhaps didn't in the past, but he has probably been told to do so by his minority shareholders.

I got you!!I just think the way it was said gave McNair an out if he didn't think Casserly was doing his job.

Ibar_Harry said:
3) I though his reference to a coach who has gone to the SB, which he said with a smile might point to someone like Chucky, Bellichk, or even may be a Dungy.

OK, this is utterly pathetic, but in this list, who is "Chucky?"

Nighthawk said:
OK, this is utterly pathetic, but in this list, who is "Chucky?"

chucky.jpg
gruden_7.jpg

Happy New Year!!!! Ok, so how is it that Casserly kept his job? I'm now getting in from a brief vacation.

And congrats to all of the fanatics of Reggie Bush. We won the Bush Bowl. I just really hope that others positions are addressed if Reggie is indeed the guy they get.

Tulip can you repost the link to the press conference so all can listen. I think it is up for replay. A lot of people should be interested in hearing it for themselves. I'm not good at that sort of thing.......

Ibar_Harry said:
Tulip can you repost the link to the press conference so all can listen. I think it is up for replay. A lot of people should be interested in hearing it for themselves. I'm not good at that sort of thing.......

Here's some video on the KHOU front page.

http://www.khou.com/

I'm not sure where the full audio is. I'm sure Vinny knows.

HoustonFan said:
Happy New Year!!!! Ok, so how is it that Casserly kept his job? I'm now getting in from a brief vacation.

Dan Reeves's evaluation led to the opinion that the Texans' problem was mainly coaching, not personnel.

"I don't think we're that many players away from being a contender," Texans owner Bob McNair said.

That opinion apparently is shared by Dan Reeves, who was hired as a consultant several weeks ago. And that's why general manager Charley Casserly is being retained.

Keeping Casserly won't be popular, but it's absolutely the right move. His personnel record is worse than it appears because he trusted his coaches too often. Inside the organization, he forecast some of this season's problems. His mistake was allowing Capers to do things his way.

"We're better than our record," Casserly said. "We've got a talent base. I want to see this thing through."

Casserly was surprised when Reeves was summoned to evaluate the football operation. He believed Reeves may have been brought in to replace him. In the end, Reeves may have saved his job.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/texans/3559700.html

Good question to Dom by Rich Lord:

Does Capers think, in hindsight, that he should have left Pitts at LT all 4 years?

He admitted that Pitts was his best choice at LT. But he did talk a little bit about how they always intended Pitts to play LG and they thought he would be a pro-bowl guard.

Tulip said:
He admitted that Pitts was his best choice at LT. But he did talk a little bit about how they always intended Pitts to play LG and they thought he would be a pro-bowl guard.
We knew that here on this Board, and a bunch of us raised hell when they
went from bad to worse this year by replacing Wand with Riley. And what
was this fixation about putting your best OL at LG and saying something about he could be a PB guard ? I hope Coach has learned that you have no chance of having a descent OL if you don't have compentancy and stability at LT.

How did Wand beat Pitts out of that position last year and not get any playing time this year? Did someone ask that?

The Pitts situation caused some of my biggest frustration with Capers.

I don't remember anything else being said about Pitts, but I didn't listen to the whole interview.

Something in that transcript caught my eye, aj.

(on last offseason’s decision-making process) “I wouldn’t say all those decisions didn’t work, number one. I think what we have to do is find the very best coach we can. Part of that search will center around what their schemes are and how they plan. What is their offensive scheme? What is their defensive scheme? We just have to make sure we agree upon those schemes and that we’re ready to go forward on that basis. And then we can tell our scouting and personnel people what kind of personnel we need. Our coaches can do that. And we need to stick to those schemes at that point in time. Certainly the changes that were made during the season did not help. It’s difficult any time you make a change during the season.”
:confused: Care to shed any light on that one?

Marcus said:

Quote:
(on last offseason’s decision-making process) “I wouldn’t say all those decisions didn’t work, number one. I think what we have to do is find the very best coach we can. Part of that search will center around what their schemes are and how they plan. What is their offensive scheme? What is their defensive scheme? We just have to make sure we agree upon those schemes and that we’re ready to go forward on that basis. And then we can tell our scouting and personnel people what kind of personnel we need. Our coaches can do that. And we need to stick to those schemes at that point in time. Certainly the changes that were made during the season did not help. It’s difficult any time you make a change during the season

That's fascinating. Obviously, I understand his philosophy and agree with it, but I do wonder what specific scheme change he thinks the Texans were burned by. Palmer to Pendry?

LCROD said:
With the Kubiack talk, its obvious he is our #1 choice. NFL rules mandate that a minority be interviewed and I'm sure theres something about hiring a coach who is already in the playoffs. Would seem a matter of time before Kubiack is announced. So it seems to me.

From what I understand, the visit to Kubiak was expedited because Denver is in the playoffs, but have a first round bye. I guess Denver gave permission to interview him, but only during the bye week or after the Broncos were done for the season.

Marcus said:

Just a guess but I recall hearing him talk about that in the context of the Palmer firing after Week whatever. You know - firing the OC that early in the season not being a good thing...

Behind those comments might be subtle references to how they junked a lot of the offensive playbook they worked on in training camp and preseason on the eve of the season opener at Buffalo and the internal conflicts between Capers, Palmer and Pendry.

aj. said:
Just a guess but I recall hearing him talk about that in the context of the Palmer firing after Week whatever. You know - firing the OC that early in the season not being a good thing...

Behind those comments might be subtle references to how they junked a lot of the offensive playbook they worked on in training camp and preseason on the eve of the season opener at Buffalo and the internal conflicts between Capers, Palmer and Pendry.

Well, as I recall, (correct me if I'm wrong here) the Palmer thing and the changes that were made, all were centered on getting the ball out of Carr's hands quicker, in response to him getting creamed everytime he took a 5 or 7 step drop.

I don't quite understand why he didn't quite understand. Was he too busy racing his horses or something that kept him from paying attention to what was going on?

This gives me the impression that he was really out of the loop.

aj. said:

I think the internal conflicts are more clearly described as Capers and Pendry vs. Palmer. As much as we bashed the offensive scheme last year, it was clearly better than what we had at the start of this year. I think that Palmer was trying to implement and offense by committee (what he wanted to do as shown in previous years vs. what Pendry/Capers wanted to do as shown at the end of this year).

In other words, Palmer was the architect of last year's offense and he tried to shoe horn in a lot more conservativism to please Capers who was heavily influenced by Pendry. Once Palmer was gone they went further to the conservative side under Pendry. That ultra-conservative mid-season offense was, um, less than successful and may have been what he was talking about.

Ibar_Harry said:
I think they verified that Casserly was simply getting what the coaching staff wanted in many cases. Casserly is simply the faciliator. He is not the person who makes the decision.

If that's true, it's reason alone to fire Casserly. Dom doesn't have the power to draft players. Casserly signed off on those draft picks and should take responsibility.

Dom works for Casserly. Casserly doesn't work for Dom. Why in the hell Dom calling the shots? Why is Dom doing Casserly's job for him? Either Casserly is too weak to stand up to Dom when he thinks Dom is making a stupid pick or Casserly passes the buck to save his own ***.

Personally I think Casserly passes the buck. I have NEVER heard Casserly take responsibility for his failures. He's just throwing Dom under the bus the same way he threw Norv Turner under the bus. He's unfit to lead because he doesn't take responsibility for the piss-poor organization he runs. Everything that's gone wrong is someone else's fault.

Erratic Assassin said:
If that's true, it's reason alone to fire Casserly. Dom doesn't have the power to draft players. Casserly signed off on those draft picks and should take responsibility.

Dom works for Casserly. Casserly doesn't work for Dom. Why in the hell Dom calling the shots? Why is Dom doing Casserly's job for him? Either Casserly is too weak to stand up to Dom when he thinks Dom is making a stupid pick or Casserly passes the buck to save his own ***.

Personally I think Casserly passes the buck. I have NEVER heard Casserly take responsibility for his failures. He's just throwing Dom under the bus the same way he threw Norv Turner under the bus. He's unfit to lead because he doesn't take responsibility for the piss-poor organization he runs. Everything that's gone wrong is someone else's fault.

You don't seek players your staff can not work with. Again it has been the Scouts jobs to provide information on the available players, its the Coaches job to tell the GM what players they need and who they think would best fit into their schemes and then its up to the GM to try to do the best job he can to obtain those players and make certain that they are signed in a financially sound way as far as the organization is concerned. At least I believe that is the way the Texans have been working and it makes sense. McNair's type of organization is decentalized. I'm certain Casserly has input into the players, but I suspect DOM and company were adiment about who and what they needed. The truth is that most of the players obtained are probably not that bad, they have simply been so badly coached and I think that is the silent message out there. I think Reeves and others have said there really is talent there its simply not being utilized nor coached properly. You can't blame the GM for that. In addition if you listen to McNair's press conferences you would realize that there is no way Casserly could have fired DOM. McNair tried everyway he could to keep DOM to the bitter end. He liked DOM and what he thought he stood for. I keep saying Casserly will work with any head coach and will do his best to obtain the players that coach wants, not the players Casserly wants. That is a very important concept. The GM and the Head coach have to work together.

Back