Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McNair Press Briefing

BigBalla1983

Practice Squad
Have you seen his press briefing on our houstontexans.com site. he said that the team could get more enthusiastic if we would show them more support like we used to. Instead of booying them when they do something stupid he want us to cheer and cheer until we cant cheer anymore. then we go :texflag: and we show the other team that we could cheer for our team.

What do you guys think of his comments?

i think he's deffering us to a different problem (our cheering?) because he doesnt want to talk about the fact we're 0-5.

Me and my wife will be there CHEERING just like any other game UNTIL it gets ugly. Then we will just watch and be HOPEFUL for the next game.

No matter what I STILL LOVE MY TEAM!!!!! :texflag:

I don't buy it. McNair is attempting to use a simple psychological theory called 'Cognitive Dissonance' which states that if you say something outloud enough, you'll eventually believe it (simplified version). You see this a lot with eating disorder research, where girls will say 'Im not fat' over and over and 'Celebrity bodies are airbrushed' and eventually get the idea they can't be perfect. McNair wants us to cheer for the Texans so that we will start to believe that we like them again. He is losing money because people aren't coming to games, aren't paying top dollar for tickets, and aren't purchasing souveniers. If this team seemed to be making any effort (Fonoti anyone?!?) then I would be more apt to show some love. As it is, Im glad their in Houston and all, but this is not a good season.

Why am I not surprised that this organization is now pointing fingers at us fans. Always an excuse with these guys.

BTW Mr. McNair... if your team plays the way it has been playing all season I will boo my head off... until halftime anyway.

You know, I just watched the briefing, and I say we give him what he wants. Football is not something every city gets to have. Look at LA. So lets cheer the hell out of the colts. Maybe making some noise will give us an advantage. If we embarass ourselves again, the least we can say is that we did everything we could. Then McNair will be left with no options but to look elsewhere

gtexan02 said:
If this team seemed to be making any effort (Fonoti anyone?!?) then I would be more apt to show some love. As it is, Im glad their in Houston and all, but this is not a good season.
Some people think that Fonoti is crazy...literally. Not only did we pass him up for a 6th, but so did the rest of the NFL. Hard to blame the team for passing on him....we may not know the whole story on that.

On the thread...I watched the tape and I find it hard to believe you guys want to twist sinister overtones on that. Lemmings eventually charge over cliffs you know.

Why is cheering for your team a shot at the fans? Isnt that what they are supposed to do? I realize that the team sucks, but they know that also. Changes are coming at the end of the season they cant do anything right now. If I had the bucks Id be there every Sunday right along with you guys getting hoarse and drunk. So make those in my situation proud, lord knows I try and make it so you guys can here me from my house. :texflag:

i think most texan fans have the same mindset...we'll cheer our butts off until the team begins to lose in a manor that is unacceptable...what i mean by that is playing with no heart and it shows...the team hasn't had any heart since the beginning of the season...we look like a boxer that just got punched in the mouth and is still stunned

Booing is passé. How about hissing, instead? It’s big in Europe. Plus, it could freak out the Colts. Think about it.

I think he applauded the fans for past support and asked them to come ready to cheer with the roof closed this Sunday. He basically said the fans are important and the team feeds off the fans support. I appreciate his comments and i'm thankful we have a first class owner. I really don't see how someone could find anything negative about his comments. If one does, one must be a really miserable person.

"If" that's what he said, then we have bigger problems than we first thought.

For an owner to make that comment (which I'm not sure he did) it makes me question how much longer I should follow this team.

I really hope he's not entirely serious, as in saying that CHEERING the bad product we see on the field is going to make things better.

If that's what he meant, then the guy is insane. You can't ask fans to cheer a losing team, especially the way we've been losing. Losing a game on a last-second field goal is one thing. Heck, losing a game in the last two minutes like we did in Cincy is acceptable. But losing the way we have to Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Tennesse, and Seattle is appalling and in no form or fashion deserves a good "cheering" until they show they can play competitive football like they did in Cincy.

I cannot fully believe that McNair is fully serious about cheering instead of booing. This guy would last two seconds in Philadelphia, New England, Pittsburgh, etc. He's just too doggone nice.

So I guess if Pepsi develops a soft drink, and nobody buys it because it tastes bad....Pepsi just continues to throw millions of advertising dollars away to convinve people it tastes good?

And on top of it, now that I think about it, isn't his comment a little arrogant for the OWNER of a team to instruct the people who PAY HIM to see the team play to keep cheering?

Yeah, that's going to win over a lot of Texans fans: "Hey! I'm Bob McNair and I own the Texans! What? You don't like the team right now? Well, uh...how about you keep paying to see them and CHEER them back into proper form? Yeah, that's what we need. If you'll keep cheering, they'll do better. Heck if you'd cheer louder and not boo, they'd get better and more people will buy more tickets and popcorn and Texans souvenirs! Keep cheering guys! We're getting better the louder it gets!"

Please, somebody tell me that his comments were taken out of context by the poster who started this thread.

Some people think that Fonoti is crazy...literally. Not only did we pass him up for a 6th, but so did the rest of the NFL. Hard to blame the team for passing on him....we may not know the whole story on that.
Fonoti may be crazy. He may be a serial murderer, or a loon who ends up scoring for the other team. The thing is, there are 32 teams in the NFL. One gave up a 6th rounder for him, and one was dealing him. That means that 30 teams passed. Of those 30 teams, the Texans have BY FAR the worst offensive line, and needed to take a chance. He has 1 year left on his contract. Lets say there is a 99% chance that he is crazy. Well, that is chance we needed to take. ALl those other teams can AFFORD to pass on someone they think is crazy. We Can't. Simple enough

gpshafer_1976 said:
"If" that's what he said, then we have bigger problems than we first thought...
Yes, let's parse interview answers over and over until we find the subliminal message. Again.

That's the underlying problem on this team. They interview poorly.

Ah, what it sounded like to me in the video (some paraphrasing)....

he's expceting the players to play inspired and is wanting the fans to help as they have in the past because they invigorate and inspire the team to play well. He wants the fans to feel like this is our team and that we're with them to help with a win. Noted that the fans have been great in the past and that it's still a long season to go and that he's looking forward to the fans coming out.

So, maybe a little different view than the original post. Personally, I'll still be out for toro, the cheerleaders, then scream the last names as the players come on the field and keep on cheering from the heavens of 619 till it looks like the cheering is not being reflected in Texans play.

GO TEXANS... the fans are ready, are you?

The first post was completely out of context. He was basically asking for the fans to stay positive, etc.

An interesting thing at the end there.... he said that so far they've had some bad breaks and injuries. It would have been nice to hear some honesty there and for him to call some people out instead of making excuses.

BigBalla1983 said:
Have you seen his press briefing on our houstontexans.com site. he said that the team could get more enthusiastic if we would show them more support like we used to. Instead of booying them when they do something stupid he want us to cheer and cheer until we cant cheer anymore. then we go :texflag: and we show the other team that we could cheer for our team.

What do you guys think of his comments?
That's nothing more than the usual banter. He's not going to show his hand if he's actually looking to make a change. The next thing I'd expect is the old vote of confidence statement. The axe usually falls shortly afterward.

i love this team to death. but imo i believe we are always there for the team but yes lately we probably have been booing the team when the offense sputters or when the defense gives up the big play. I believe in cheering more when the opposing team gets into the redzone. So our defense should have the advantage, but lately it hasnt worked. I hope all fans will keep cheering till the end of the season and then i want to know what mcnair would say. Thats all i wanted to say. Go Texans!!!!

This is me everyweekend on sundays here sitting on couch and waiting for the texans to do something with heart like they did last year but there is no heart in this time. I watch the whole game and then after the game i go ahead and play some madden and woop on the other team with the texans to release my stress that the texans caused :P. i just hoped they lived to there hype like carr was saying in the offseason. DD played up to his hype now its up to the offense to work as a whole and not as a 1 dimension offense. :texflag:

If you want to try and read between the lines, I'll tell you what I got out of it. It seemed like to me, McNair wanted to say outright, "Hang with us until we can ditch this coaching staff and we'll make it better". But then, that might just be wishful thinking on my part :)

eriadoc said:
If you want to try and read between the lines, I'll tell you what I got out of it. It seemed like to me, McNair wanted to say outright, "Hang with us until we can ditch this coaching staff and we'll make it better". But then, that might just be wishful thinking on my part :)

I think that's wishful thinking, and McNair has got his head in a hole like the rest of the losers associated with this team. The new MN owner has done better with his problems than McNair. He looked good when it was easy, but now that it's gotten tough, McNair is spouting Capersisms.

dat_boy_yec said:
umm no they dont thas a misconception, but i get what u mean.

I did read about a mass suicide of sheep a couple of months ago, Greece or Turkey I believe. Hundreds of sheep ran off a cliff, poor shepard were in tears.

the wonger need food said:
It would have been nice to hear some honesty there and for him to call some people out instead of making excuses.

Consider him the PR man in this situation, all he's doing is waving the flag, not presenting his own in-depth analysis.

Nighthawk said:
...McNair has got his head in a hole like the rest of the losers associated with this team.

What then, sell and move the team away AGAIN?...

If you don't like the team, or the entire organization, then why are you even a fan? Since this Texans team is obviously not giving you what you want, I would suggest that you find some other sport, or team, to cheer for.

:tv: The bottom line is if I'm a Houston sports fan and I have the Stro's in the World Series , the Rockets are going to be a very good team , UT has a chance at a national championship ... where do I have time for an 0 for ? team .

If Bob keeps the status quo I take it he's lost also . Some die hards may say folks like me are fair weather fans but I like an overachieving team with heart . I also admire a well oiled machine (not penalty machine ) .

Lucky said:
Booing is passé. How about hissing, instead? It’s big in Europe. Plus, it could freak out the Colts. Think about it.

That's funny, I don't care who you are! Thanks man, I needed that this morning....I'll be hissing in section 129 Sunday!!!!

GO 'STROS...........TEXANS :texflag:

McNair's actual words can be found in this article in today's Chronicle:

Link

The scary part is the final quote from the article:

"It just boils down to everyone executing and doing their job. There's no great mystery. We just haven't been executing. We've got to go out and do our jobs. And when we do, the results will be better."

This sounds just like the same crap we have been hearing from Capers for over a year now. The bottom line is that the offensive and defensive schemes are not working anymore. The other teams in the league know what the Texans are doing and how to defeat them. We cannot be like the Cowboys in the 90's and run at other teams and dare them to stop us. In addition, the players and fans realize that plan will not work and for that reason they don't believe in this staff anymore. This staff is not capable of making adjustments, so we need to change it. The sooner, the better.

McNair is right though....the players have to go out and excute. What's the alternative? Just close the Stadium?

Short of cutting Capers off at the knees and outright acknowledging that the season is over, what exactly did we expect the man to say? Stay home? Boo all game long? Quit on the team like the team's quit on Capers?

There's not a lot beyond "it's unsatisfactory" and "I'm accountable" that he can say--and he said BOTH of those things. The latter, in fact, has yet to come from the people who are far more accountable than him. I'm sick of people in the news and in sports getting into these games of sound-bite "gotcha," ripping phrases from their context and flailing around indignantly with breathless "how-dare-they" outrage. McNair said nothing here that's unexpected, and frankly nothing worth getting into a twist about.

I don't fault Bob McNair for trying to be a good and patient owner here. His only alternative at this point is to fire everyone right now and potentially turn this into an even bigger mess. This is a good man in a rotten position trying to handle this with class.

Side note on that Fonoti reference: According to NFL Network last night, Fonoti weighed 406 pounds about 2 weeks ago and just recently dropped below the 400 mark. Granted, at that size he's probably a better pass-blocker lying down than some Texans O-linemen are standing up, but I don't think Houston desparately needs yet another damaged and wheezing fat guy out there. It would've been nice to see an effort to do something, but I'm not considering this the equivalent of losing out on a legitimate starting lineman.

Vinny said:
McNair is right though....the players have to go out and excute. What's the alternative? Just close the Stadium?

...ok, everyone is on the same page--players have to go out and execute...but there in lies the problem, as they are not executing and have not for awhile...McNair-like Capers-has achknowledge the most basic requirement of a player's job description...what does that solve? Does whether or not we close the stadium today have an effect on execution?

IMO, McNair needs to concentrate his efforts on not telling us what we already know===NO EXECUTION==but what he is going to do to solve this problem. Last year, without telling us how, McNair said pass protection would improve this year but it has-in fact-gotten worse. I don't want McNair to be one of those owners that 'tells us what we want to hear' but does not solve the problem. Too, losing control of his fan base which translates into money out of his pocket, should not be his call to address problems that have been on going...results is the name of the game, not telling us all what we alrady know.. :thumbdown

I guess what I am trying to say is that back in the 90’s teams knew the Cowboys were going to run certain plays. Because of their talent and their ability to execute flawlessly, it did not matter what the opposing team did. They could simply overwhelm the other team. It seems to me that Capers and McNair feel that the Texans can somehow operate in the same manner. If they just execute Pendry’s and Fangio’s game plans, they will impose their will on the other team. The flaw in this idea is that the Texans are not talented enough to function in this manner. After reviewing four years of film on the Texans, I think most good coaches have determined how to defeat the same tired plays they are running. Perfection execution of bad plays is not enough to overcome teams that are better prepared and more talented. The players have come to realize the futility of trying and failing by doing the same things over and over again. You add in the lack of talent due to the failures of Casserly and you see the disorganized mess displayed week in and week out.

To be honest, I did not expect much more out of McNair. What can he really say in this situation? The state of this team is horrible and he still has to somehow sell this product for the rest of this lost season. I think that we fans are just tired of playing along.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion....that little speech just reeked of "calm down till I fire the coach".

Vinny said:
I don't know how you come to that conclusion....that little speech just reeked of "calm down till I fire the coach".

Vinny you must play Poker. I read the same thing in McNair's face. He is upset and pissed that he is losing money and having to watch McClain kick ***. McNair is dying to pull the trigger and I would not be suprised if they have already been in contact with Kubiak to check on his interest and availability.

Hulk75 said:
There is no room for Booing any team, ever, What is the point do you think it makes them play better.

I dont care what anybodys record is you never boo, it is desrespectful to your team. They get booed on the road WHY would they want to hear it from their hometown "Fans".

Remeber when we were considered one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL?
Booing bad play is a fans right. They deserve boos. Who do you think pays those salaries? It ain't magic.

Coach C. said:
Vinny you must play Poker. I read the same thing in McNair's face. He is upset and pissed that he is losing money and having to watch McClain kick ***. McNair is dying to pull the trigger and I would not be suprised if they have already been in contact with Kubiak to check on his interest and availability.
Yep, we see the same thing. Supposedly we have already started a coaching search...if you believe the reports...and I think we are.

I think we have contacted certain coaches and coordinators to check availablilty, but I doubt anything pass that. Hey what do you think of Kubiak HC, Turner OC, Dennison OLC, Jon Hoke DC. Let me know Vin I would be interested as your take. I think McNair would love for it to turn out this way. He is a big fan of Hoke and everytime he comes to the practice facility he likes to talk with Hoke more than Capers. Hoke does not have the experience though to be a HC, but a good DC would work, he did a hell of a job at Florida.

It is hard to rock when you are asked to cover people for 5 to 7 seconds. That is hard on any secondary, Deon, Green, Woodson, and some of the best corners would tell you it is damn near impossible. Plus He is trying to coach a depleted secondary that now has a two nicklebacks on the opposite end of D-Rob.

Hulk75 said:
There is no room for Booing any team, ever, What is the point do you think it makes them play better.

I dont care what anybodys record is you never boo, it is desrespectful to your team. They get booed on the road WHY would they want to hear it from their hometown "Fans".

Remeber when we were considered one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL?

Remember when we had a team that played with heart?

Some of you guys are cracking me up. Like a bunch of rats jumping off of a ship taking on water.

The ship is not sinking!! Sure, it's got to be pulled into port for refitting, but it'll be sailing again next year. Don't quit your team over one friggin' season!

So you go ahead and make that jump - yes, off of the bandwagon - and the rest of us hardcore fanatics will stick with the team during the hard times. Because this organization WILL get better. It's only a matter of time.

Staying a fan doesn't mean you can't criticize. But as long as it is constructive and analytical (not emotional...calling out Bob McNair! You should be ashamed of yourselves! tsk tsk)

You keep the hope, even when you don't think we'll win. YOU KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE!

Mr. McNair has always said that he is a fan owner. So he's talking from a fan's perspective - DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!! (What do you want? A "wannabe-GM owner" like Dan Snider?!)

Regardless of one season, we can't lose sight of the fact that success is just a matter of time.

Cut the owner some slack. If you truly expect him to come out and publicly diss the team, you've lost sight of a little thing call professionalism. I'd be disappointed in him if he said anything else at this point.

Just be patient, my fellow Texans fanatics, just be patient. And keep the hope alive. :cool:

Great posts, Vinny and Coach C. When I saw McNair on TV and read the full article in the Chronicle, I came to the same conclusion you two did. Capers and his coaches will be gone next year. I don't know about Casserly, but I'm cautiously optimistic he will get the boot as well.

The team, as bad as it is right now, is stocked with a number of good young players that can be successful with more help and better coaching. If we get the first overall pick and trade it down slightly, we can land a stud OT and some additional high picks and/or players to reload the team. Add in some judicious free agent signings and first class coaching, and the team will be competitive again in no time.

I have confidence that McNair will do the right things once this disaster of a season comes to an end. I'm looking forward to it.

I think when you have the 3rd highest payroll in the league and your performance has been as bad as the Texans', McNair is doing his part by opening his wallet but the GM and coaches are not doing their parts. I too believe that this may be a read between the lines statement that McNair is telling the fans to hold in there until he can get rid of the staff. Let's face it, the head coach, offensive coordinator, and defensive coordinator are all Capers' people.

Our receivers are not performing up to par so promoting that coach to OC doesn't sound appealling. Anyone want to promote the other line coach to OC :bomb: ? That would leave the QB coach or running backs coach which I don't know that either could solve the problem. We can't implement an entirely new playbook in one week so we're stuck.

As far as defense, it's all Fangio's people. Everyone wants to promote Hoke to DC. Has anyone seen Buchanon become what they thought he'd be under Hoke's tutelage? What about CC Brown not playing the run support like he should or covering his man like he should either? If you want to give it to Hoke based on D Rob's performance, well that's just not right. Again, we can't change the playbook in just one week, so, again, we are pretty much stuck.

For any of you wanting to promote our special teams coach, we are very much a middle of the pack special teams team. That with Kris Brown and Stanley as our kickers and Buchanon and Mathis as our return men. Does this sound like we should be middle of the pack?

I think McNair wants more for his investment. He bought into the 5-year plan that Capers said he had, but the wheels have fallen off in year 4. Coincidentally, I believe that's the same year they fell of for him with Carolina. Now, I think McNair is just trying to salvage fan support until he can do something about it. :ok:

gtexan02 said:
I don't buy it. McNair is attempting to use a simple psychological theory called 'Cognitive Dissonance' which states that if you say something outloud enough, you'll eventually believe it (simplified version). You see this a lot with eating disorder research, where girls will say 'Im not fat' over and over and 'Celebrity bodies are airbrushed' and eventually get the idea they can't be perfect. McNair wants us to cheer for the Texans so that we will start to believe that we like them again. He is losing money because people aren't coming to games, aren't paying top dollar for tickets, and aren't purchasing souveniers. If this team seemed to be making any effort (Fonoti anyone?!?) then I would be more apt to show some love. As it is, Im glad their in Houston and all, but this is not a good season.

In my opinion this attitude (not specific to you, but by the fan base as a whole) is why we lost the oilers, and it is why Taglibu first said we would not get another team and why the rest of the nation thinks this is a poor football town, and why Texas is thought of as cowboy country.

I complain about how the team puts up a lackluster perfromance and missrepresents the city of houston, but I feel we do the same to ourselves when we boo our own team and not show up to games.

Ultimately it is just a game. You dont go just for the game, you go for the experience. The tailgate, the BBQ, the beer, socialize, the bands, razzing the other teams fans.

If you stand behind your team during the good times then you have to stand behind them in the bad. This is a bad times but focus on just having fun and know this isnt forever.

My opinion is that I am glad the McNair made himself available for a comment. I did not expect him him to provide a gameplan for success and nor should he as it is his investment. I have invested in his business model that he brought to Houston and will continue to do so.

I am from Austin and have no allegiance to Houston. I left the Cowboys due to a meddling owner and player's out of control and to start with somehting fresh. The product may not be fresh at this moment, but the experience of watching MY TEAM remains fresh. I will take the heckles at work every Friday with my Jersey on as I belive my turn to heckle others will be coming in the future due to Mr. McNair's focus, wallet and will.

MeanMark8 I just wanted to address your Hoke thoughts. CC Brown is playing great considering he is a 5th round pick. Right now around the league he is considered one of the steals of the draft. Does he need to learn zone placement and proper angles of course he does, but so did every safety to play in this league. You talk about Buch not becoming what he is supposed to, the kid is in his 4th year and the fact of the matter is you cant turn a bad apple into a good one. Hoke focuses on trying to cut all the rot of PBuch(bad apple reference) it will take time. I do admit Hoke does need to focus those guys in better zone coverage since Fangio insists on running it 60% of the time. Our guys other than PBuch are much better in man coverage, but that is not gonna get the job done as long as we have no pass rush.

Coach C. said:
MeanMark8 I just wanted to address your Hoke thoughts. CC Brown is playing great considering he is a 5th round pick. Right now around the league he is considered one of the steals of the draft. Does he need to learn zone placement and proper angles of course he does, but so did every safety to play in this league. You talk about Buch not becoming what he is supposed to, the kid is in his 4th year and the fact of the matter is you cant turn a bad apple into a good one. Hoke focuses on trying to cut all the rot of PBuch(bad apple reference) it will take time. I do admit Hoke does need to focus those guys in better zone coverage since Fangio insists on running it 60% of the time. Our guys other than PBuch are much better in man coverage, but that is not gonna get the job done as long as we have no pass rush.

Actually, Brown is a 6th round pick. I'm sorry but I saw him get run over by Payton of the Titans like he was PBuch on Payton's way to the endzone. He doesn't have the hitting power you need out of your strong safety. I'm completely at a loss on why we have given up on Earl at safety. I know he was hurt but I believe he is healed now. Earl is much better in run support and coverage than Brown. Yes, he has a full year's more experience, which it would seem to me would indicate you'd want to play him. As for PBuch, I think the Texans thought it was his coaching with the Raiders that held him back. He doesn't back-pedal enough or turn his hips right in man coverage. Supposedly, the Texans' staff was going to teach him how. I'm assuming it was our d-backs coach who would do that. I don't know that anyone thought they could get him to hit anybody.

The Raiders did not like P-Buch and they said he was not good in coverage, that had nothing to do with coaching, because Woodson had the same coach and was great in coverage. My mistake on Brown's draft status, but after the 4th they are all just projects. CC has the talent to be a very effective FS. It is not Hoke who put him in to play at SS. In training camp(if you came to them) he lined up at FS because he has more speed than Earl. Earl is the better SS, but think of the job Brown is doing out of posistion and you understand what Hoke provides. Think of how Aaron Glenn said that Hoke is one of the best coaches he has ever played for. Glenn played for Slocum man freakin RC Slocum(forgive me a A&M alumni). Check the smooth transistion for Coleman, and not to mention Earl who he rode all last year and coached him up. I still dont understand why he has not been on the field, but why has Armstrong not been on the field. I think your problem may be with Capers.

Back