Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McNair on Radio

Eyeguy

Waterboy
McNair was just on 610 radio and seemed excited about having Mario and Weaver move inside on 3rd down with Peek and Babin at end. He said they would be the "fastest front line in the NFL" He also made a point to say he was tired of watching the Texans blow a lead in the 2nd half. Stated that with Bush we could not out score Indy. The only way we could beat Indy and win division was by putting Manning on this backside.

He told Pastabelly that we lost 8 games last year because we couldn't hold a lead and that was a big thing in the decision.

edo783 said:
He told Pastabelly that we lost 8 games last year because we couldn't hold a lead and that was a big thing in the decision.

10-6 in 2006 with Mario Williams :drool: :yahoo:

It was a great interview.

He basically said it is all about winning and what gives us our best chance to win in the long run.

That it was a football decision, that he trusts his coaching staff to make the right decision because they watch tons of film, not just highlights, and they know what their scheme is.

That anyone who says this is about money doesn't know what they are talking about because he believes they could have signed either one. And that the rumors that Bush was being offered less money were untrue.

That, of course, he cares what the fans think. But the role of the owner is to trust what his football people are telling him.

He said that we have to be able to beat the Colts if we are to win the division. The best way to do that is to get a pass rush on Peyton Manning. That even if you have Bush on your team, do you really feel that just that alone gives you a better chance to beat them, to outscore them..

That he was sick of not being able to hold a lead.

Thanks for the McNair update! :thumbup

Like I've said, it was a decision based on need over greed. High powered offensive teams without solid defenses are one dimensional teams. Because once the offense hits a speedbump, there is nothing to fall back on.

Dominant defensive teams, on the other hand, only need an offense that can put a couple of scores on the board. We've seen it in the past with Houston football, and examples abound throughout the NFL's history.

well we have been saying for a couple seasons now that addressing the lines is the fastest way to make a good team. it all starts in the trenches. We really did a good job of strengthening our lines in this offseason.

lol @ football decision. you guys are easy to fool.

Bush was the only guy we negotiated with for 4 months, and had he come to terms with them before the draft he'd be a Texan. We only went with Williams because he would agree to a contract the day of.

Finances made this pick.

Bush or Williams does no matter. What matters is this teams ability to restock. i.e. Pittsburg and New England. They pick at the end of the draft consistantly and still have a solid roster year after year. They find a way to find value late. That is what the Texans need. The question is what are the players added to this Roster (free agency or Draft) going to do to improve this team. How can we be in the playoffs year after year. The team will not turn on this pick one way or the other. How all the pieces fit together is what matters. Ask the Redskins. They add all the popular free agents every year and they hype up the team. It never works they can't restock and they do not win superbowls. I would rather model the team like the Steelers then like the cowboys or Redskins. Just because we are a big market team does not mean we need to throw away money. By the way money drives everything in this league. There is no George of Football. The only team in America not run by money decisions is the Yankees.

Dont know how you can say that with such conviction. Sounds like an opinion/conspiracy theory to me.

Here is my opinion/conspiracy theory.

After 4 months negotiating with Bush, we came to the conclusion that we really didnt like his attitude and that we werent gonna take a risk like that on a player that didnt fit our franchise, or our needs. Feeling the pressure to make the popular pick.. we tried to make it work..but as the draft loomed closer, and Bush continued to try to stick it to us.. we said forget this guy, Williams is rated almost as high..is a physical super freak..and fits our needs perfectly.. lets just take the criticism and get the guy we really need.

Jimmy Johnson's number 1 objective was to beat Buddy Ryan's Eagles. Once he did that, the rest is history.

Fascinating-

For months it's been Bush vs Young or trade down to get D'Brick..
Now they pull Mario out their you know what, and everyone is justifying this?

There is no justification. Not saying Mario isn't good but c'mon, this pick was not the best for the franchise. We got screwed and the 06-07 record will show it..

To actually think management had months to think about this and this was the best they could do, now the real problem has been exposed.:challenge

Mario or Bush were known to be the top prospects on our board for the last couple of weeks. If you were surprised by the pick then you obviously werent following the Texans.

And btw.. the Texans NEVER said anything about getting D'Brick..that was completely made up by the fans who thought we needed a tackle in the first.

No justification for picking Williams? I recommend you look around and read all the justification people have been listing. Its not spin either.

Grid said:
Mario or Bush were known to be the top prospects on our board for the last couple of weeks. If you were surprised by the pick then you obviously werent following the Texans.

And btw.. the Texans NEVER said anything about getting D'Brick..that was completely made up by the fans who thought we needed a tackle in the first.

No justification for picking Williams? I recommend you look around and read all the justification people have been listing. Its not spin either.

If you can't say Mario Williams and Lawrence Taylor in the same breath, in which you cannot, then this was a wasted pick.

Oh Yea, the board was exploding with Mario as the #1 pick, right along with all the top analysts in the sports world that had Mario going first? Hmmm, I missed that one episode of EPSN, NFL Network.

You can justify anything, even crap decisions.:twocents:

There have been small bands of resistance to the Bush/Young charm. We have advocated trade down for Williams (or whoever) for awhile.

I was one of the few that would be happy with any of five players as our first pick, but my first instinct was go with the defensive player (especially because we don't need a RB).

Dennis007 said:
Fascinating-

There is no justification. Not saying Mario isn't good but c'mon, this pick was not the best for the franchise. We got screwed and the 06-07 record will show it..

To actually think management had months to think about this and this was the best they could do, now the real problem has been exposed.:challenge

Hold on now. The Bush/Young/D'Brick thing was media driven and it did NOT come from the team. You must learn to distinguish between drivel frop the media and facts from the team.

Dennis007 said:
If you can't say Mario Williams and Lawrence Taylor in the same breath, in which you cannot, then this was a wasted pick.

Oh Yea, the board was exploding with Mario as the #1 pick, right along with all the top analysts in the sports world that had Mario going first? Hmmm, I missed that one episode of EPSN, NFL Network.

This was far from a crap decision. It was the right one and I hope Williams does NOT become Lawrence Taylor. Bruce Smith, yes, but not Lawrence Taylor. And it is very possible that Reggie Bush will be mentioned in the same breath as Archie Griffin, Blair Thomas, Curtis Enis, Kiyannah Carter and Lawrence Phillips.

I think that people who are stilled pissed about this pick, are the same people who care more about "being entertained" than the final score.

McNair is exactly right. With Bush on this team, Manning still has all day to throw. Pittsburgh made Manning look like David Carr.

And you can believe what you want to believe. This was a Kubiak decision, so spare me your conspiracy theories.

Bobo said:
Hold on now. The Bush/Young/D'Brick thing was media driven and it did NOT come from the team. You must learn to distinguish between drivel frop the media and facts from the team.

exactly!

Bobo, knowing that you were an advocate extremist for addressing the offensive line and that Kubiac would lead this franchise down the crapper b/c he wasn't going to fix it, are you happy with the overall turnout of the draft this season (feel free to include offseason movements in your thinking). This is an honest question, not an attempt to bash you in anyway.

GO TEXANS :redtowel:

UGA said:
lol @ football decision. you guys are easy to fool.

Bush was the only guy we negotiated with for 4 months, and had he come to terms with them before the draft he'd be a Texan.

If we've been negotiating with Bush for 4 months, then you must have some insider info that the rest of us haven't heard. That would mean that we started negotiating before the combine.

Everything I've heard says that we didn't start talking about negotiating until after the USC Pro Day.

My guess is that his sparkling personality just wasn't enough to win the team over.:twocents:
Guess we'll never know.

Dennis007 said:

Smart fans dont list ANY rookie in the same breath with hall of famers. There is too much risk involved with rookie players.

And the board wasnt exploding with it.. but everyone who frequents the board was aware of Williams and his worth. There was a small but vocal group that preffered Williams with the #1 pick (unless he could be had with a trade down, which he couldnt). Jerek comes to mind as one of the guys that was in favor of Williams #1.

Personally I was torn. I supported both Bush and Williams with the #1 pick.. but was leaning a little more towards Bush. Now that we have Williams though.. im glad we took him over Bush. Now that people are breaking down the pick, talking about how our defense is going to look next year.. im stoked about the choice we made.

But.. this is not some "new" thing.. this was not a pick out of the blue. The only people that were suprised by this were the people who dont frequent Texans fan communities (see: 99% of the NFL)

Dennis007 said:

And the people who are saying Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, and Reggie Bush in the same breath are allowed to do that for what reason again? Speculation maybe?

(yes I watched him in college, who didn't?)

I love Mario and wanted to move down to get him. I agree with the philosophy but I still have a little doubt in the back of my mind if this was the time and place to do it. No one was trading down and you have Bush there. We will see years from now. I do think they are trying to do the right thing by starting with the lines. We need to smack people in the face.

Grid said:
Dont know how you can say that with such conviction. Sounds like an opinion/conspiracy theory to me.

Here is my opinion/conspiracy theory.

After 4 months negotiating with Bush, we came to the conclusion that we really didnt like his attitude and that we werent gonna take a risk like that on a player that didnt fit our franchise, or our needs. Feeling the pressure to make the popular pick.. we tried to make it work..but as the draft loomed closer, and Bush continued to try to stick it to us.. we said forget this guy, Williams is rated almost as high..is a physical super freak..and fits our needs perfectly.. lets just take the criticism and get the guy we really need.

Best explaination I've read so far...sounds about right to me and as I said before, I am proud of the courage of displayed by our FO on this move.

I

Eyeguy said:
McNair was just on 610 radio and seemed excited about having Mario and Weaver move inside on 3rd down with Peek and Babin at end. He said they would be the "fastest front line in the NFL" He also made a point to say he was tired of watching the Texans blow a lead in the 2nd half. Stated that with Bush we could not out score Indy. The only way we could beat Indy and win division was by putting Manning on this backside.

It is good to see that he has his eye on the ball!
The Ball being the Colts.
I have read many different post on a variety of different topics and have rarely seen anyone point out that if the Texans can't get by Indy then we will never get to the big game. I believe McNair is correct and the fact that the Colts are the talent in this division is not lost on me.
As much as most people like Patton, it is only going to happen if Manning is on his back. I believe this organization is definatley heading in the right direction.
We are seeing leadership for the first time in Texan history. I applaud the offseason moves. We are finally looking like a real Football Team

GO TEXANS!!!

Though I'd be so releived when we finally beat the Colts, we can't forget about the rest of the division. This could be a brutal division should the Texans get it together. But as long as we are winning it and beating the other teams, I'm a happy fan.
Go Texans!!!

Dennis007 said:

Haha, this is funny. Reggie Bush is the product of the Los Angeles media just like Matt Leinart, maybe that's why he slipped to 10 with Cutler hot on his trail at 11th. Everybody knew he was a product of a system and not the great QB that everyone made him out to be.

Marcus said:
I think that people who are stilled pissed about this pick, are the same people who care more about "being entertained" than the final score.

Of all the idiotic statements on BOTH sides of the coin, this one takes the cake.

Specter said:
Haha, this is funny. Reggie Bush is the product of the Los Angeles media just like Matt Leinart.

Yeah, the media made him the #2 pick and one of the most highly regarded players in a decade. Everyone else was wrong, and we were the smart ones...

BattleRedRaider said:
You would know ALOT about making idiotic statements, wouldn't you?

statements like the one i quoted are homer responses of the worst sort.

the texans message board responses are right, and everyone else is ignorant.

:homer:

UGA said:
statements like the one i quoted are homer responses of the worst sort.

the texans message board responses are right, and everyone else is ignorant.

:homer:

There are homers and there are haters.

There aren't many homers in this thread.

But you do a good job doing the hater part.

Dennis007 said:
Fascinating-

For months the talk on this MB was bush Vs young or trade down, I'm sure the Texans front office did some research. We got David Carr and Davis on offense and if you add Bush to the same offense, do you think there will be enough money to get an impact defensive player?

UGA said:
Yeah, the media made him the #2 pick and one of the most highly regarded players in a decade. Everyone else was wrong, and we were the smart ones...

He was regarded highly enough to entice any NFL team to offer to trade up to get him. The Texans never received one offer for him and Casserly was begging the league to come after him.

Trading down was too big a risk. If we traded down then NO very well might haved picked up Mario. We might have picked up another pick but by staying pat we were assured of addressing one of our biggest needs. This pick is going to turnout very special. With the shift to the 4-3 we will now be capable of stopping the run and then watch out because with Mario and Peek rushing from the same side the QB will be getting hit.

I am getting stoked. The playoffs in Reliant are going to be special even better than 19-10.

:redtowel:

So, back to McNair.... guess he's working the PR like he informed Kubiak and Casserly that he would. After the initial shock, more seem to be coming around.

Why in god's name would we put Peek and Babin on the outside to rush on 3rd down? We would have 40 million dollars in guaranteed money rushing up the middle and two unproductive turds coming off the edge. I can see Weaver moving in next to Travis Johnson and Peek coming in to rush maybe, but Babin and that 10 second spin move of his can stay on the sideline on 3rd down.

1-3 said:
Why in god's name would we put Peek and Babin on the outside to rush on 3rd down?

I'm sure that, if they suck at it, Kubiak will end that real quick. I think it's just something with which they are excited about the possibillities and they just want to try in Preseason to see what happens. I know it sounds really odd after signing Williams with the #1 pick to be our (hopefully) superstar DE, ESPECIALLY FOR 3RD DOWN PASS RUSHING, but who knows? It just might turn out to be a great idea.

Back