McNair Interview in the Chomical.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DocBar, Jul 31, 2011.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

LINK

2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

See Uncle Bob that's your problem, very little imagination....
    There's the ship channel bridge, Conoco Tower, San Jac monument...
    :D

Seriously though, this was a good interview. Thanks for posting.

That statement explains a lot

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  3. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

The top of Reliant Stadium....just going with ya on this...

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Seriously though, that was as much as I've seen Uncle Bob say in the media in quite a long time. Good post.

5. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I agree. I really liked the interview. It's been my position that McNair considers a lot more than most give him credit for. I think we have one of the better owners in the league and he's trying his best to build the right long term foundation for his team.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Such as???

Good luck and free agents should never be in the same sentence when discussing the Houston Texans.

"Unmitigated" optimism? Hey, I'm optimistic. It's the football fan inside who wants to believe I'll get to kick the ball, no matter how many times Lucy lifts it before I can. But, that optimism is mitigated by watching these Kubiak-led "warriors" flop year after year. I'm hopeful. But if they don't win, I'll know why.

[​IMG]

7. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

off the top of my head: vonta leach, derek ward, joel dressen, kevin walter & chris myers (low rd rfa's), wade smith, rashad butler, pollard & demps for a season each

8. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

It's all lip service to me. Just a PR move to keep the turnstiles moving and the beer selling another year. I tend to be one that says don't tell me what your going to do, show me what you are going to do. Seeing is believing.

He can say how much he wants to win - but he hasn't shown it. And now we let Leach go, another move a loser makes just at a time when we were gaining momentum this offseason. That is showing me that he doesn't want to win. We needed to keep Leach and 3 yrs at 11 mil is reasonable for an all-pro who helped turn a UDFA into the league's top RB a yr ago. You don't replace a guy like that with someone off the street.

The wool gets pulled over our eyes again, but some of us understand this man's losing mentality.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/parsing-bob-mcnair-s-comments

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Except they spent that money on a CB and Safty tha we desperately needed. We also have our draft picks to sign, need one more depth Cb, and want some "just in case" money for camp casualties. A loser over pays a fb that is a's one dimensional a's it gets instead of making your team better.

11. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

We're not overreacting too much on the Leach thing, are we?

I mean, what do you expect when you vote the guy to the Pro Bowl? And what do you expect from free agency? Only to win some, and not lose some?

But to say that losing Leach to free agency shows you that McNair "doesn't really want to win" . . .

Yeah OK . . . Whatever. :rolleyes:

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Leach was also important in the passing game and worked as a relief valve for Schaub numerous times. I don't think of him as one dimensional. If we pick up a halfway decent FB, I think we can still be ok there, but I do think you guys under estimate Leach's value to this offense. This was a huge blow to this team, no doubt in my mind. And you let decent guys go, but you don't let all-pro's go when the cost is as reasonable as Leach was going to be.

13. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Numerous = 8?

While I do have a concern about Vonta's leaving, it's mostly in Red Zone situations. I think his pass catching role will be considerably easier to replace - it doesn't even have to be a FB who replaces it.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't agree with that statement.
    Some people do.

Several organizations have become successful with that thinking. Patriots, Colts, Pittsburgh.

So even though I do not agree with his belief, I am not going to act like mine is the only one.

I wonder if he thinks he is over-spending for Joseph & Manning. It would have been nice if we had drafted them..... but we didn't. We can only draft so many players, sometimes we get it right, sometimes we get it wrong. I think it is important to acknowledge when we are wrong & do what it takes to fix it.

Johnathan Joseph is the perfect example. We didn't draft him in 2006. We fix that problem signing him in FA. Paying Dunta that same money to stay would have been worse than what we have now.

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Billionaire BoBBy if you were sincere in your comments why do Rick and Gary still have jobs? There w/l record says that you aren't holding them accountable.

BTW, BoBBY bringing in Bum and Dante as PR schills for the losers that are Rick and Gary as a preemptive PR move was a stroke of marketing genius. Forget about what the paying customers want and Garys W/L record. Just keep on with status quo. We dont want to do anything traumatic like hiring a winning GM/HC.

I think it's sad that Wade ran the draft this yr and it was the best draft since 2006. IMHO That's an indictment of Rick/Gary. Where's the accountability that seems to be your mantra BoBBY? Are you content with blowing smoke up your fans butts?

GuerillaBlack likes this.
  16. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Couldn't have said it better myself. This guy reminds me of our President. Talks a good game, but actions speak much louder than words.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Leach was a beast, but he served his purpose.

Remember the first fullback Kubiak picked? He's supposed to be more of a threat out of the backfield than a run blocker. We stumbled onto Leach at a time when the OL wasn't doing its thing. Kubiak trusting different people to teach his OL. 2008, Kubiak threw all that away & went back to what he knows.

IMO 2008 he started teaching his version of the ZBS. Our OL struggled, part of the reason why Steve struggled to find holes. By the end of the season you could see a big difference in the way they blocked. That also happened to be around the time Arian Foster showed up.

2009, no doubt about it, our starting five have got it down pat......

I think we were going to be moving away from Leach anyway.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's another thing. In short yardage situations, why get away from what we're good at, stretching the field. If we don't have the people to blow defenses off the line, why try?

Run the zone stretch, every now & then throw in a naked bootleg.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

He's answered this question hundreds of times. He feels like Kubiak is his coach. He feels like Rick Smith has done at least an adequate job.

Firing someone is not the only way to hold someone accountable.

Are you accountable at your job? How many times have you been fired?

Don't speak for me.
    These guys haven't got on the field yet, & it's the best draft since 2006? What's sad is that we fans keep moving the freak'n target & wonder why it's so hard for McNair to hit.

This draft is no different than the 2009 draft. Cushing, Barwin, Caldwell, Casey, Quin, McCain, Nolan..... no different other than we've seen those guys play in the NFL.....

2010 draft don't look all that bad either. Ben Tate, Earl Mitchell, Darrel Sharpton, Dorin Dickerson are still plenty to get excited about. Sherrick McMannis, I like that pick as much as the Carmichael pick.. & the book isn't closed yet on Kareem Jackson.

The book hasn't been opened on the 2011 draft... & you say better?

fiasco west likes this.
  20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Other than Leach, none of these guys are special (though Pollard had his moments). Just about every GM in the league can point to finding JAG players like Dreessen, Myers, and Walter (who wasn't signed by Smith). No better (or worse) than most teams in this regard.

I almost went off (again) on McNair, but aj saved me the trouble:

I read something like this from McNair, and I wonder if he will ever get it. Basically, he'll have to luck into a winner. Because winning his not his top priority. Every once in a while, Mike Brown gets to the playoffs. Not because he's a good owner. But because his team eventually gets lucky. I'm not saying that Bob McNair is a bad owner in the same fashion as Mike Brown. Just that like Mike Brown, he doesn't value winning as his highest priority.