Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McClain: Spencer out for year

Grid said:
Well watch the play again, and you will see that Spencer had opened a hole. He just got pushed back a little too far and Dayne hit his leg.

Im not gonna dog on an LT that did his job and made the "mistake" of getting pushed back 6 inches further than what would have been "optimal".
Or 20 yards further back than "optimal". If he pushed his man 10 yards downfield would be optimal. I am not going to dog a RB for getting tripped by his O-lineman even though everyone else seems to think Dayne ran into him on purpose.

You can't believe evrything you hear from the media and you can't believe everything the Texan's spin machine put out about released players. But, I heard that Spenser broke his tibia and he's out. Say a prayer for a speedy recovery for him guys, he's had a bad NFL experience so far by being thrown to the wolves too soon.

Bob McNair said:
Or 20 yards further back than "optimal". If he pushed his man 10 yards downfield would be optimal. I am not going to dog a RB for getting tripped by his O-lineman even though everyone else seems to think Dayne ran into him on purpose.

The point is that Spencer has been a very solid LT for us in just his rookie season, and you are nitpicking some petty little crap that shouldnt even be considered as an issue.

Well, it's a bad injury, if true, but not as bad as a torn ACL or MCL.

BTW, is Wand still available?

(No I do not ask this question toungue-in-cheek)

I don't see anything out there qualifying him as a player of x team, so I guess he is still an option. I think it's the right move, too. Salaam was never intended to be a replacement for the season. Even if he is, the Texans have no backup for Salaam. So hopefully Wand is brought back in, either as starter or as Salaam's backup.

Wand is available, but, does Wand want to play for a head coach who doesn't want to work with him? And will Kubiak invite Wand back, that's the BIG question.

well in case of an emergency.. there is Pitts. But yah, id like to see us bring someone else in..and if Wand is available, and can handle it.. he has been through the preseason with us so he seems the obvious choice.

Pitts is definitely an option at this point, but I'm not sure the coaches want to sacrifice guard duties. Either way, we are down a lineman and need to add a backup, whether at guard or tackle.

Wow. This is just an amazingly bad piece of news, topping a typically dismal Sunday afternoon performance by the home team. This team is really doing a great job of living up to the low expectations of an expansion franchise. I never, in my wildest nightmares, would have expected a team headed by such a smart, classy guy like Bob McNair to be such an utter failure for such a long time...

Bullfan said:
Wand is available, but, does Wand want to play for a head coach who doesn't want to work with him? And will Kubiak invite Wand back, that's the BIG question.

Good points, as always. But I have to think the opportunity to play in the game is better than watching the game. I would think this is something the coaches will address quickly, once they have a solid assessment of Spencer's injury.

Bullfan said:

I would hope that Kubiak isn't stupid enough to ignore a guy who almost made the team and who spent all off-season and preseason learning his offense. If he's that dumb then I'm not sure how I feel about his "regime".

At the same time I don't think Seth Wand can afford to let pride get in his way. He needs a job I'm sure and this is his ticket back into the NFL. Even if he doesn't make the team next year this is his chance to get better along with the rest of the Texans and to get on film for other teams.

TexansFanatic said:
Wow. This is just an amazingly bad piece of news, topping a typically dismal Sunday afternoon performance by the home team. This team is really doing a great job of living up to the low expectations of an expansion franchise. I never, in my wildest nightmares, would have expected a team headed by such a smart, classy guy like Bob McNair to be such an utter failure for such a long time...

I used to worry that we'd be "like Cleveland" but now I don't have any illusions about that. I know we're not that good. Now I just pray we don't end up being like Tampa Bay.

Bullfan said:

Guys are cut all the time and brought back to the same team. The same way guys are benched and then brought back to start. If you can't take that kind of thing, you don't have the right to call yourself an adult, much less a highly paid professional athlete.

TexansFanatic said:
Guys are cut all the time and brought back to the same team. The same way guys are benched and then brought back to start. If you can't take that kind of thing, you don't have the right to call yourself an adult, much less a highly paid professional athlete.

I know this isn't where you're going, but I have to add: based on the antics of TO and many other sports celebrities, I would think that maturity does not qualify you to be a highly paid athlete.

Hervoyel said:
I think so. If the Texans aren't on the phone to Seth Wand today then I'm very dissappointed with them and I think it means they really are dedicated to doing things the "Kubiak way" whether it's the right way or not.

You beat me to it. I think Wand is starting next week against Washington. Sad part is this sets Spencer back a year in his development. Yes he can get the mental stuff but there is nothing like doing it. I hope it is not an achiles tendon.

A note on the whole Pitts option (moving back to LT), we dont want two weaken to spots on OL by moving Pitts over. I think he really needs to stay at his current spot and start gel with the interior guys. Kinda like playing Mario at DE until he has that down. But then again it is tough to have lower quality player manning the LT spot.

Grid said:
The point is that Spencer has been a very solid LT for us in just his rookie season, and you are nitpicking some petty little crap that shouldnt even be considered as an issue.
Yes he has been solid and promised to be GREAT! I was rooting for the guy. And I am nitpicking some petty little crap - agreed.

But to read the other posts here he is the best player in history and Ron Dayne is the worst ever (well OK, 2nd worst ever behind David Carr) and Dayne is at fault and intentionally chose our best player to injure on purpose.

I am a Charles Spencer fan. Ron Dayne - I never have been but maybe he will win me over. But I don't hold him at fault as many people here seem to do. I was just trying to inject a little balance.

Here's hoping that Spencer recovers quickly and does become the best player in history and that Dayne proves to be a good player.

LCROD said:
A note on the whole Pitts option (moving back to LT), we dont want to weaken to spots on OL by moving Pitts over. I think he really needs to stay at his current spot and start gel with the interior guys. Kinda like playing Mario at DE until he has that down. But then again it is tough to have lower quality player manning the LT spot.

I agree.. ideally we want Pitts to stay at guard. But it is an option if we NEED someone at LT.

It is a terrible blow to lose Spencer, no one wants to see a player injuried. Wand was let go because he wasn't physical enough so how is bringing him back going to help us???
The best bet now is to give Winston his shot. With his experience at the position he may surprise everyone and do a great job. I wouldn't count him out, he is a young man on a mission and now he is going to get his chance.

I hope he has a speedy recovery. I really liked this pick and i think he will be a good football player.

Hervoyel said:
I used to worry that we'd be "like Cleveland" but now I don't have any illusions about that. I know we're not that good. Now I just pray we don't end up being like Tampa Bay.

Right now, being like Houston is bad enough.

This is a huge blow. Spencer was on his way to becoming one of the best young left tackles in the league. Hopefully it was a clean break and there isn't any collateral damage in the leg so everything heals normally and he can come back strong next season. I feel bad for him.

But that's the NFL. You have to strap 'em up and go out there and fight again next week.

really is a shame, spencer has looked fantastic so far. what makes that incredible is he's a 3rd round rookie in only his second NFL game, playing the most demanding position on the line. this kid's going to be special, hopefully he recovers fully and quickly and we have our "franchise LT" in place.

i also hope they bring wand back in. i thought he looked solid during preseason (even stronger than spencer on running plays) and he would be the only other player with a chemistry already at LT. the only thing wand lacks is a mean streak, maybe this time of unemployment has put that fear and determination in him.

is there any word on flanagan's injuries?

Haven't heard a thing on Flannagins injury, but that is potentially more of a problem than Spencers.

Hervoyel said:

or New Orleans....

Back