Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McClain: Spencer out for year

I thought so, I really didn't want to hear this. The lone bright spot for our offensive line goes down. I really don't know what to think about this.

This totally sucks! Get whooped up on and lose Spencer. Well maybe Winston will have some time to prove himself. This still sucks though.

the wonger need food said:
Wow.... way to go Ron Dayne.

I can't believe this season is over after week 2... again.

I missed that play, what happened? (More ammo for my anti-Dayne ways)

the wonger need food said:
Wow.... way to go Ron Dayne.

I can't believe this season is over after week 2... again.

Not only is the glass half empty, the half that has liquid in it is actually poison...oh and the sky is falling.

Relax a bit, I am disappointed too but we can stay positive.

Toan said:
Let me guess, its David Carr fault

LOL!

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winner, Winner, Lobster Dinner!

You're 16 and already you are wiser than most.

Good post. Thanks for making me laugh today.

Dayne ran right into Spencer's knee. Hard to assign blame (Spencer for getting pushed back, Dayne for not cutting around him and avoiding him) but it's a bad blow.

yeah, this really is some terrible news. I really don't like Ron Dayne now, he messed up the NEXT BIG THANG. You FOOL!!:shoot:

jerek said:
Dayne ran right into Spencer's knee. Hard to assign blame (Spencer for getting pushed back, Dayne for not cutting around him and avoiding him) but it's a bad blow.

Well we got him for his punishing run style. Maybe he forgot what team he was on.

Not really Dayne's fault. That kinda stuff just happens. He was looking for his run lane and Spencer's leg was stretched out in the way. He wasn't looking down to see that Spencer's leg might be there.

The Colts were knocking their own players out of the game, too. Just one of those days.

Dayne was signed from Denver to specifically run into Spencer's leg.

Now I can see why Kubiak wanted him in here so badly.

It was just unfortunate. Spencer had his man locked up, was standing the blocker straight up (as usual) with his legs farther out than his shoulder's length, and Dayne bumps one of Spencer's legs as he runs by Spencer. I think Dayne would have missed Spencer, but perhaps the blocker made enough of a push to get Spencer's leg(s) into Dayne's path right at the moment that Dayne was coming past Spencer?

Didn't look like a bad hit, but considering the size of Spencer, and all the weight that is on his own body (not to mention the weight of the defender that he was propping up during the block) and you can see how it could do some damage.

gpshafer_1976 said:
Dayne was signed from Denver to specifically run into Spencer's leg.

Now I can see why Kubiak wanted him in here so badly.

It was just unfortunate. Spencer had his man locked up, was standing the blocker straight up (as usual) with his legs farther out than his shoulder's length, and Dayne bumps one of Spencer's legs as he runs by Spencer. I think Dayne would have missed Spencer, but perhaps the blocker made enough of a push to get Spencer's leg(s) into Dayne's path right at the moment that Dayne was coming past Spencer?

Didn't look like a bad hit, but considering the size of Spencer, and all the weight that is on his own body (not to mention the weight of the defender that he was propping up during the block) and you can see how it could do some damage.
They showed it in slow motion, and his knee bent way in...painful to watch.

I'd wait on thinking is gone a bit longer. That was Justice's blog and it was written during the game before the X-Ray reports were done. I think he was speculating. It could be true, but I'm not 100% buying into it just yet.

From the looks of things, I thought it was just a bad hyper-extension. Now, I'm wondering if he fractured a bone. This definitely blows chunks.

However, in Salaam's defense, he didn't do a bad job of replacing Spencer.

Hate to see this happen... but I look forward to his return next season. At least we know that we have a true left tackle.

run-david-run said:
They showed it in slow motion, and his knee bent way in...painful to watch.

Man, I thought it looked more like when your knee hits someone else's knee-The bone-on-bone hit, if you will: Looks bad, feels bad, but not exactly a season-ending type of hit.

I guess we'll have a "for sure" word on what happened soon enough.

I saw the slow-mo, too. I didn't think it bent inward like you are saying. Maybe it did, though.

I guess I missed the All-Pro Charles Spencer. The one I saw was letting his quarterback killed, and on a running play - A RUNNING PLAY - got pushed 9 yards backwards, causing the running back to trip over him. Ron Dayne was making the play he was supposed to be making. Spencer was getting pushed around like a seven year old girl with a broken leg.

Our offensive line did perform better after Spencer and Flangan were out. Hey, I want these guys to succeed as much as anyone, but so far our O-line is the worst it has ever been. Probably the worst O-line in NFL history. Which is great since our defense is also the worst in NFL history.

It looked to me like the common (but serious) turf type injury.

When I saw the replay, it looked like Dayne kicked Spencer's left leg in the shin area... this forced Spencers knee to straighten, due to the angle his leg was at from the block he was laying on the DE.

The problem was that his cleats stayed stuck in the turf, so when the knee straightened.. the pressure of the DE pushing on him bent his foot up at an ackward angle. I thought he had probably ripped/pulled something in his ankle or his knee.

It didnt look to me like his knee "bent inwards".. looked more like his knee was just completely straight.. while his foot was still stuck in the turf.. and the linemen put alot of pressure on his knee/ankle, causing the injury.

Bob McNair said:
I guess I missed the All-Pro Charles Spencer. The one I saw was letting his quarterback killed, and on a running play - A RUNNING PLAY - got pushed 9 yards backwards, causing the running back to trip over him. Ron Dayne was making the play he was supposed to be making. Spencer was getting pushed around like a seven year old girl with a broken leg.

Our offensive line did perform better after Spencer and Flangan were out. Hey, I want these guys to succeed as much as anyone, but so far our O-line is the worst it has ever been. Probably the worst O-line in NFL history. Which is great since our defense is also the worst in NFL history.

Its important to remember that a tackle.. especially on a running play.. is not necessarily supposed to hold his guy at the line of scrimmage.

The "pocket" is called the pocket because it is a FREAKING POCKET. If the point of run blocking or pass blocking was to keep the defensive line stuck at the line of scrimmage.. then they wouldnt call it a pocket, they would call it the backfield.

Watch any game with any team..you will notice that the left and right tackles will USUALLY get backed up 7-10 yards.. that is because they are pushing that blitzer back BEHIND the quarterback.. creating a pocket that the quarterback can sit in. In running plays.. you DONT WANT the tackles to stay at the line of scrimmage..you want them moving those Dlinemen away so that a hole is created for the RB to run through.

In the case of the play in question..yah it would have been great if Spencer would have just picked up the lineman by the ankles and used him to beat back the rest of the colts defense so Dayne could walk into the endzone. But in the absence of superman.. I will settle for a guy that can open holes for our RBs to run through.

Now wait a minute...

How the heck does anyone know we have lost him for the season? He was taken to the ER in INDY and no reports have come out yet. I certainly don't put a grain of salt on what Justice says.

I will sit by and wait for the official report from the Texans before I believe he is lost for the season.

Texans Pride said:
I'd wait on thinking is gone a bit longer. That was Justice's blog and it was written during the game before the X-Ray reports were done. I think he was speculating. It could be true, but I'm not 100% buying into it just yet.

I noticed that also. I'm with you on this and I'll wait for official word because I just don't trust Justice. He just pull to much stuff out of his backside just to make noise with for my liking. Hope he is wrong and it's just a hyper extension or bad bruise.

jerek said:
Maybe we'll look to bring back Seth Wand?

I think so. If the Texans aren't on the phone to Seth Wand today then I'm very dissappointed with them and I think it means they really are dedicated to doing things the "Kubiak way" whether it's the right way or not.

Spencer didn't just blow Wand out of the water in preseason so bringing Wand back in would not be an immense drop-off. They felt that Spencer had more upside than Wand but I don't even completely know if that's true. Spencer didn't have Wand's "baggage" from previous seasons but I looked at them both as projects from the ground up this year.

My recipe for fixing this (on offense) is: keep plugging away, bring back Wand to replace Spencer, start Dayne and leave him in there, and become the running team that Gary Kubiak likes to tell us we are.

On defense they need to learn how to tackle somebody. Smith's guys look like a bunch of clowns out there and I wish I could find some venue to tell him that to his face.

Sure he might kick my butt for making fun of his defense but I'd take one for the team if the defense could be there to see it. Then maybe they'd learn how to hit somebody at least.

I dunno.. if Wand got his feelings hurt by Capers and company back when they benched him... then I can only imagine how distraught he is gonna be after being cut.

I guess he will go on IR and Seth Wand will be brought back in. I swear that this offensive line must be cursed!

Hopefully he comes back pissed off with a chip on his shoulder. If he doesn't then he hasn't learned anything about playing at this level and we really don't want him back.

Grid said:
Its important to remember that a tackle.. especially on a running play.. is not necessarily supposed to hold his guy at the line of scrimmage.

The "pocket" is called the pocket because it is a FREAKING POCKET. If the point of run blocking or pass blocking was to keep the defensive line stuck at the line of scrimmage.. then they wouldnt call it a pocket, they would call it the backfield.

Watch any game with any team..you will notice that the left and right tackles will USUALLY get backed up 7-10 yards.. that is because they are pushing that blitzer back BEHIND the quarterback.. creating a pocket that the quarterback can sit in. In running plays.. you DONT WANT the tackles to stay at the line of scrimmage..you want them moving those Dlinemen away so that a hole is created for the RB to run through.

In the case of the play in question..yah it would have been great if Spencer would have just picked up the lineman by the ankles and used him to beat back the rest of the colts defense so Dayne could walk into the endzone. But in the absence of superman.. I will settle for a guy that can open holes for our RBs to run through.
A running pocket? WTF? A pocket is for the QB to pass from. On a RUNNING PLAY, of course you don't want the tackle to get locked up in place at the line of scrimmage...you want the tackle to push the defensive man back off the line of scrimmage, or to the side to open a hole. You don't want the defense in the offensive backfield on a running play where he can get a hand on the runner, or push you into the runner. I will also settle for a guy that can open holes for our RBs...don't know we will ever have that....

Bob McNair said:
A running pocket? WTF? A pocket is for the QB to pass from. On a RUNNING PLAY, of course you don't want the tackle to get locked up in place at the line of scrimmage...you want the tackle to push the defensive man back off the line of scrimmage, or to the side to open a hole. You don't want the defense in the offensive backfield on a running play where he can get a hand on the runner, or push you into the runner. I will also settle for a guy that can open holes for our RBs...don't know we will ever have that....

Well watch the play again, and you will see that Spencer had opened a hole. He just got pushed back a little too far and Dayne hit his leg.

Im not gonna dog on an LT that did his job and made the "mistake" of getting pushed back 6 inches further than what would have been "optimal".

the x-rays that they did at the stadium were "inconclusive" and they sent him to the hospital in indi for more x-rays.

The announcers said they were negative..and then immediatly corrected themselves and said "well they arent negative, they just didnt see anything so he has headed to the hospital for more"..

thats basicly what they said anyway.

Back