Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mathis

the kid does not stretch properly and that proves to be costly for a speed guy such as himself. The same thing is true for Randy Moss. and most other burners that is why guys like L. Coles and Nothcutt stretch so thoroughly.

Donte Stallworth (WR, Saints) had hamstring problems his first three seasons. I haven't kept up recently, but so far, Mathis is reminding me of this guy. Fast as the wind, shows promise, but hasn't stayed on the field. It's still too early to tell, but it's hard to be optimistic about recurring hamstring issues.

Coach C. said:
the kid does not stretch properly and that proves to be costly for a speed guy such as himself. The same thing is true for Randy Moss. and most other burners that is why guys like L. Coles and Nothcutt stretch so thoroughly.
He knows how to stretch. He stretches for an hour before games and practices. He was on the olympic team except for his hamstring problems also. This isn't a new problem for him. That's why he fell to the 4th round.

The trainers are constantly telling him to stretch more and loosen his legs up. Vinny I would defer to you most of the time, but the kid does not do the little things it takes to prevent injury.

I think I read somewhere that it also comes from not having enough water. Not sure about that, might have been reffering to muscel pulls.

edo783 said:
I think I read somewhere that it also comes from not having enough water. Not sure about that, might have been reffering to muscel pulls.
Thats what my coach says..

Is not really the question.

From what I've always understood, there is no scientific evidence that shows that stretching can prevent hamstring pulls.

Apparently, one of the biggest risk factors for pulling hammies is being a fast runner. And that some people are more inclined to get hamstring pulls than others.

See e.g. (pdf):

http://injuryupdate.com.au/images/research/hamstringprevention.pdf

I hope that they figure out what works for him because he is fun to watch. But right now, nobody scientifically knows what works and doesn't work in preventing hamstring pulls.

(disclaimers: had one hamstring pull in my life. it was unfun. i'm slow. hate to stretch).

yeah i don't think anybody is giving up on him i just think it's gonna be one of those things were he is gonna be injury prone to pulling his hamstrings constantly...which means his time in the nfl will be even more limited than it would normally be

yah, i agree with that, but if we dont get rid of are GM I think he is to stupid to realize that there is good potential

:texflag:

Coach C. said:

Sure, a pro athlete not stretching out properly...
Like with most other athletes, one tries to get back on the field as soon as possible and therefore many often have nagging injuries that they never allow to fully heal.

keyfro said:
don't count on it...if what jon mcclain says is true he had the same injury prone problem at hampton

Charley Casserly was just on the radio stating that Mathis didn't have this problem at all at Hampton.

edo783 said:

I've heard of getting cramps from not drinking enough water but I've never heard that it wll contribute to pulling a muscle.

MorKnolle said:
I've heard of getting cramps from not drinking enough water but I've never heard that it wll contribute to pulling a muscle.

That's what I have always heard too, but it does make some sense. I am in an advanced Biology class right now, and water does help with cellular activity in general, and cells can convert some of the o2 in water to a form of sugar, which is then used by the cells in the form of energy. I don't know, but it is at least a possibility as a contribiting factor.

Water is important to the body. Im not really good at biology so i cant say much, but there is a reason the human body is made up of a lot of water. And Mathis is still questionable.:brickwall

I knew water was important and as a former athlete we always made sure to drink plenty of water, and I had heard that dehydration can cause cramps but had never heard about pulling muscles from it, but if someone that has some expertise on it knows otherwise let us know so we don't keep assuming incorrect things.

I know even when we dredge under water using a wet suit you still have to stay hidrated. Afterwards we always take a couple of vitamin pills to replace the mineral salts lost while sweating. The replacement of the minerals is as important as the water. Also, never heard of it leading to muscle pulls, but then again that could be caused by a combination of the cramps and eterting oneself. For a team with high profile trainers we certainly seem to have a lot of people not doing what is right as far as their body is concerned. I wonder why this is happening.

TEXANS84 said:
Charley Casserly was just on the radio stating that Mathis didn't have this problem at all at Hampton.
I heard he always had ongoing tight hamstrings even though he didn't miss any games.

I heard it was from having too many martinis with Charles Barkley.

I mean c'mon guys. We want this guy to play. Some players for whatever reason are more injury prone than others. Be it lack of stretching or WHATEVER. Let's just hope whatever IT is he is able to outgrow it with some proper strength training.

Texans_Chick said:
Is not really the question.

From what I've always understood, there is no scientific evidence that shows that stretching can prevent hamstring pulls.

Apparently, one of the biggest risk factors for pulling hammies is being a fast runner. And that some people are more inclined to get hamstring pulls than others.

See e.g. (pdf):

http://injuryupdate.com.au/images/research/hamstringprevention.pdf

I hope that they figure out what works for him because he is fun to watch. But right now, nobody scientifically knows what works and doesn't work in preventing hamstring pulls.

(disclaimers: had one hamstring pull in my life. it was unfun. i'm slow. hate to stretch).

Stef,
Good article on hammys!

Maybe they should have Mathis work with a martial arts instructor. They know stretching is important. They stretch parts that you didn't know existed. I took Shotokan for a couple of years back in my younger days.

bobby 119C

Back