Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Manziel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that whole Manziel thing on this board is overblown. I can only think of one crazy pro-Manziel guy and that was the dude trying to convince everyone that Teddy Bridgewater was a crossdresser.

If this was as bad as the VY love, the VY love must not have been very bad.

The only reason why it didn't reach a crisis level was because the guy fell like a rock and didn't go #3 ovrl to a divisional rival... He went to the Browns. LOL, The Browns.... Good luck Johny

I'll be honest though. My fandom is waning. After the Capers and then the Kubiak years, I'm drained. Since inception, I've poured my heart and soul into this team but after watching them keep Kubiak after 2010, sign Matt Schaub to the extension, sign over-the-hill players like Ed Reed and Ahman Green that do little more than damage our future while letting up-and-comers like Glover Quinn walk, and seem to make changes at a snail's pace, my Texans fandom is on thin ice. A guy like Manziel, for better or for worse, could reinvigorate this franchise. He potentially gives us that rah-rah, star power player at the most important position on the football field that we have needed for our entire existence.

With my relationship with the Texans already on thin ice after all these years of heartache, I'm not sure where I'll be if they don't draft Johnny Manziel.

I feel the same way. I hate this draft just as much as I did when we selected Mario. Worse actually, because we drafted another player just like Mario with the first pick again and this guy's rep is even worse than what Mario's was. The Texans totally caved to the media pressure on this one. They tried and tried to trade the pick and no one wanted the once in a 30 year hype machine. So we took him since he was allegedly the only player worth the #1 pick. The Texans never learn from their mistakes. They just repeat them. Picking lazy Dlineman with motivation problems usually ends up in disappointment. I wasn't huge on wanting Manziel, but I would have been happy with that pick due to his excitement he brings. Now we might end up with Mallet?? Uuuhhhh!!! My excitement for this up coming season has totally dwindled when I was stoked for this new HC before. They're going down the same road Kubiak created when he first got here thus far.

I feel the same way. I hate this draft just as much as I did when we selected Mario. Worse actually, because we drafted another player just like Mario with the first pick again and this guy's rep is even worse than what Mario's was. The Texans totally caved to the media pressure on this one. They tried and tried to trade the pick and no one wanted the once in a 30 year hype machine. So we took him since he was allegedly the only player worth the #1 pick. The Texans never learn from their mistakes. They just repeat them. Picking lazy Dlineman with motivation problems usually ends up in disappointment. I wasn't huge on wanting Manziel, but I would have been happy with that pick due to his excitement he brings. Now we might end up with Mallet?? Uuuhhhh!!! My excitement for this up coming season has totally dwindled when I was stoked for this new HC before. They're going down the same road Kubiak created when he first got here thus far.

Eh. I'm used to cheering for ****ty inconsistent teams.

This coming football season's gonna be rough. Texans are likely to suck again and the Aggies are probably going to blow too.

You mean like picking David Carr kind of mistakes?

Cant wait for Derek Carr to become a Texan. Talk about repeating mistakes. BTW I would've traded up with Arizona and picked Manziel. Mallett for a 2015 3rd on a 3 yr deal isn't bad. The Texans can pick their QB of the future next in the 2015 draft if Mallett doesn't play well and the QB of the future has a couple of yrs to learn on the sidelines. It appears to be a win-win to me.

Unless your all in on Manziel.

So Browns owner Jimmy Haslam stumbled across a homeless man who said two words to him, "Take Manziel", and that's when his mind was made up. :clap:

The only reason why it didn't reach a crisis level was because the guy fell like a rock and didn't go #3 ovrl to a divisional rival... He went to the Browns. LOL, The Browns.... Good luck Johny

factory_of_sadness.jpg

Factory of Sadness to Factory of Madness

maybe he changes things there. Wish him luck.

2007 - Brady Quinn drafted at #22

2012 - Brandon Weeden drafted at #22

2014 - Johnny Manziel drafted at #22

wow this is gonna be deja vu' all over again for the Brownies....

I think that whole Manziel thing on this board is overblown. I can only think of one crazy pro-Manziel guy and that was the dude trying to convince everyone that Teddy Bridgewater was a crossdresser.

If this was as bad as the VY love, the VY love must not have been very bad.

'06 was much, much worse.

'06 was much, much worse.

06 WAS worse fresh off a championship game of ages. I didn't go into the draft rooting against Manziel but I cant lie... I enjoyed watching him squirm as the picks kept going and going without his selection. Odds are against him now. Qb's go to Cleveland to fail.

Yeah that's just a little untrue. The fact is they were asking for 3 #1's. Everyone wanted Clowney, but nobody was willing to trade the house for him. I bet if the asking price was 2 #1's instead of 3, they would have traded the pick. They knew who they were going to take all along, and only a blockbuster deal was going to change that.

You rag the Texans for not taking Manziel, yet 21 other teams, many with just as big a need for a QB as the Texans, but passed on him also.

Sorry, but Manziel ended up were he belongs. Having said that, I honestly think he has a chance to do well there. On paper they look like a nice squad. As a Texan, not so much.

2zzup37.jpg

Wow. Chill out. Give the team a chance to prove you wrong. Clowney was the right pick imo. Manziel is leprechaun rainbows and fairy dust. Give Cleveland a chance to show you the true Tim Tebo...err Manziel, and you'll see.

Sorry, but Manziel ended up were he belongs. Having said that, I honestly think he has a chance to do well there. On paper they look like a nice squad. As a Texan, not so much.

On paper they look like a better team than Houston? I'm not buying that. Granted I like the talent they've been collecting, but I don't think they're any better than we are when it counts.

Maybe they can rally behind Manziel & accomplish things they couldn't last season... but if I recall correctly, that's what "everybody" was saying our problem was last season. That even our LBs didn't believe in Matt Schaub & therefore didn't play to the best of their ability.

MSR.... my thoughts exactly... told everyone at our draft party last night.... Mario Williams II... only lazier.

On paper they look like a better team than Houston? I'm not buying that. Granted I like the talent they've been collecting, but I don't think they're any better than we are when it counts.

Maybe they can rally behind Manziel & accomplish things they couldn't last season... but if I recall correctly, that's what "everybody" was saying our problem was last season. That even our LBs didn't believe in Matt Schaub & therefore didn't play to the best of their ability.

I said they look like a pretty good squad on Paper. Never said anything about looking better than the Texans on paper. I said Manziel has a better chance of succeeding there, than here.

Yea nice excuse for poor LB play. It's all Schaub's fault? That's a good one. Seems like I have seen this movie before. Everything is Bush's fault right? When are players going to be held accountable for their poor play? The myth that players did not believe in Schaub is just that. A Myth. Even if it were true, who could justify getting paid all that money to decide not to play up to your abilities because you do not believe in your QB? Schaub is a convenient scape goat, but at some point, players have to take ownership of their own piss poor play and stop blaming their failures on someone else.

The Texans failed as a team last season because of the "Super Bowl or Bust" pressure they, and the fan base put on them, and they chose bust rather than Super Bowl. Even inserting the proverbial Cinderella QB did not help, in fact, when Schaub was re-inserted into that game, the team played harder and moved the ball. So the idea that the team did not believe in Schaub is the reason they failed is as ridiculous as Johnny Manziel being drafted #1 overall. But once again it was Kubiak's fault, or Wade Phillips fault, not the players, right?

As far as who is better when it counts, the Browns finished ahead of the Texans last season in just about every category, and play in a much tougher division, so I think you might be over estimating our beloved Texans.

I said they look like a pretty good squad on Paper. Never said anything about looking better than the Texans on paper. I said Manziel has a better chance of succeeding there, than here.

As far as who is better when it counts, the Browns finished ahead of the Texans last season in just about every category, and play in a much tougher division, so I think you might be over estimating our beloved Texans.

Just not seeing it. If Manziel can succeed in Cleveland, he can succeed in Houston. I like Cleveland, on paper. The only thing they're missing is the belief they can win.

We looked like crap last season, but we've got players on our team that knows what winning feels like. It would be much easier, I think, to get the Texans to believe they can win.

& yes, I put a lot of stock in that belief.

I just don't think BillOB wanted any part of Manziel. If we had Bortles or Bridgewater, I wouldn't mind that.

Skip Bayless just said Houston will forever regret not taking Manziel and that Manziel will be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron James ever was in Cleveland.......:spit:

Skip Bayless just said Houston will forever regret not taking Manziel and that Manziel will be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron James ever was in Cleveland.......:spit:

Just like we regretted passing on VY and him being the second coming in Tennessee. Glad they're both on the CLE roster now.

Nah, but I think Manziel will be successful in Lil' Shanny's offense with all the bootlegs and screens. Shannahan's offense will also allow Manziel to extend plays with his feet, rather run for his life.

As long as Manziel is smart enough to slide or get out of bounds and avoid the bi hits...

It is gonna be an interesting year...

I just think it's dumb we didn't trade up for either Manziel OR Bridgewater. Two top 15 caliber picks at the most important position on the field were available late in the first round, and we didn't take a risk and move up. That to me is why I am finding it very difficult right now to still consider myself a Texans fan.

This is a vanilla organization and always has been. We do not take chances, we are slow to adapt to change, and will for the foreseeable future remain a .500 football team. Honestly, I hope I'm wrong, but I have been through this same song and dance for a decade now. Nice guys finish last, and the Texans most certainly are the nice guys of the NFL.

As for Johnny, I honestly think he is walking into an ideal situation. People can make fun of the Browns all they want, but they are now LOADED on offense. Their offensive line is a top 5 (top 10 at worse) unit, they have one of the top up-and coming WRs in the game in Josh Gordon, a QBs best friend in a top 5 TE in Jordan Cameron, and a pretty damn good RB (when healthy) in Ben Tate. The Browns defense was solid last year and just got better with the corner they drafted to play opposite of another top 10 quality corner in Joe Haden, and they still have a second round and two third round picks left to go.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this unfolds.

Say Watt-

You and I are on the same wavelength. I'm not mad the Texans skipped Manziel. I'm pissed they did nothing and just watched. They had opportunities to step up and break the mold by grabbing JFF or Bridgewater when they started sliding. Cleveland and Minnesota did not pay much to move up.

The Texans are stuck in a vicious cycle of mediocrity. They've followed the same formula they have for 12 years. It has gotten them absolutely nowhere.

I'm not going to abandon them, but the no-risk b.s. needs to stop. It's ridiculous. It makes it hard to support a team that keeps doing the same things and getting "meh" results. They are boring. They are vanilla, save Watt and Cushing. Texans have been must-see tv for me, even when they lose. But, it seems to me they aren't even worth watching. How are they even going to score points??

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in this franchise. Sure, the front seven looks good. But, they still haven't addressed the most glaring weakness -- quarterback.

Oh, they'll get somebody in the 4th round. It'll be their excuse for not taking any risk in future years and said taken QB will never be any better than avg.

I'm beginning to wonder if this team would even have taken Luck had they had the #1 pick that year.

Expected more negativity, but this thread did not disappoint. Feel like reading about how the sky is falling? Head on over to the Manziel thread.

192 pages over a Browns QB. Give it a few years and y'all will be wondering why the hell you ever gave a damn about an NFL washout.

I'm not gonna lampoon O'Brien just yet. I want to see if he can develop a QB (either thru the draft or already on the roster). As much as It would've been interesting and exciting to see JM or TB here but that ship has sailed and let's see how things shake out.

It's not a "sky is falling" reaction. I'm just calling what I see. The Texans are boring. They were who I thought they were. They just reaffirmed it to me. They don't take chances. I'm not giving up on them, but this garbage is ridiculous. It's the typical Texans.

It's not a "sky is falling" reaction. I'm just calling what I see. The Texans are boring. They were who I thought they were. They just reaffirmed it to me. They don't take chances. I'm not giving up on them, but this garbage is ridiculous. It's the typical Texans.

I couldn't care less if they are boring. That sounds like a dallas mentality to want attention regardless of success or lack thereof. I'll take bland and boring as long as they win. The 2010 season was electric and exciting with a high scoring offense and the comebacks that all fell short and late game collapses, but in the end they went 6-10.

We took David Carr with the first ever Texans pick and it was a bust.

Then we traded picks to get a backup to be our starter. Yes, I know he clearly did play well for at least a few years.

Now, we seem to be looking really hard for another Matt Schaub. If anything, we seem to want to err on the side of caution....OF MATT FREAKING SCHAUB. How careful can you get?

You don't find Joe Montana while looking for Matt Schaub. You will be very lucky to even get Matt Schaub quality, if that is all you are shooting for. In fact, chances are you won't find it. I wonder how many years we are going to waste looking for another Matt Schaub? It's a little sickening.

We took David Carr with the first ever Texans pick and it was a bust.

Then we traded picks to get a backup to be our starter. Yes, I know he clearly did play well for at least a few years.

Now, we seem to be looking really hard for another Matt Schaub. If anything, we seem to want to err on the side of caution....OF MATT FREAKING SCHAUB. How careful can you get?

You don't find Joe Montana while looking for Matt Schaub. You will be very lucky to even get Matt Schaub quality, if that is all you are shooting for. In fact, chances are you won't find it. I wonder how many years we are going to waste looking for another Matt Schaub? It's a little sickening.

You also don't find Joe Montana drafting in the first round.

I'm not seeing how that's helping your case.

Yeah. If we want to be successful & avoid a factory of sadness of our own, we need to do what the Cleveland Browns did.

:thinking:

I'm not saying to do what the Browns did. But they need to do something.

I'm ok with winning boring. But, the thing is: THEY HAVEN'T WON BY GOING THE BORING ROUTE.

They have 2 playoff wins. 2 in 12 years. How many high-round draft picks have they played it safe on? Where has it gotten them?

I'm curious to see what they are going to do. But, I'm no longer putting blind trust in the Texans brain trust thinking what they do is right.

I'm ok with winning boring. But, the thing is: THEY HAVEN'T WON BY GOING THE BORING ROUTE.

They have 2 playoff wins. 2 in 12 years. How many high-round draft picks have they played it safe on? Where has it gotten them?

I'm curious to see what they are going to do. But, I'm no longer putting blind trust in the Texans brain trust thinking what they do is right.

This coaching staff and its approach hasn't even played a game, yet. And you're going to hold the previous two regimes' record against them?

They haven't even finished their first draft together.

There are still QBs on the board that OB/Smith may like better than the guy you were wanting them to want. Murray, Mettenberger, McCarron, Savage, Garoppolo -- they may have wanted any or all of these guys more than they wanted Manziel or Bridgewater.

This coaching staff and its approach hasn't even played a game, yet. And you're going to hold the previous two regimes' record against them?

They haven't even finished their first draft together.

There are still QBs on the board that OB/Smith may like better than the guy you were wanting them to want. Murray, Mettenberger, McCarron, Savage, Garoppolo -- they may have wanted any or all of these guys more than they wanted Manziel or Bridgewater.

These are my thoughts are as well. Hell Bridgewater and Manziel might end up being really good players or really bad ones. I want to see what the new staff can do and I can't get too nervous or pissed until we see some results.

Ok, i've read your posts for the last few pages and either you're not articulating your position very well or your argument is just dumb.

The texans have won more in their 12 years of existence taking their safe, boring route than the browns have itaking chances and throwing away picks on bum qb after bum qb in the same span.

Well, I wasn't yelling through the whole draft, "Take Foster! Take Foster!"

I also had a conniption when they took DeMeco Ryans, because I was so sure that was a bad pick.

I also did a WTF? on JJ Watt, but at least I didn't complain, because I felt sorry for him when fans booed.

Only time I remember actually being right was when I wanted Darrell Revis.

I'll get over it.

I was not comparing the Texans to the Browns. You crossed that bridge. I'm not saying to mortgage the farm. But, Cleveland did VERY little last night to move up to take Manziel. Minnesota did even less to move up to take Bridgewater. The Texans sat on their hands.

The Texans have won being boring, but fold when it matters. How many times did they crater in the spotlight? There is no excitement with this team. The only time I've ever really felt it with them is the first game, the first playoff win and the first half of the game when Keenum started lighting up the Colts (I think it was the Colts). They took a chance then to see what would stick. They had a chance to be exciting last night and failed. That may be enough for you to enjoy 8-8, 9-7 seasons with the occasional 12-4 season with one playoff win. It's not enough for me.

Face it, the Texans are a 2-14 team. They aren't going to be better right away. But, they got to that old point doing things the safe way. It did not pay off. I don't see why they appear to want to stay on that route.

I'm interested to see what O'Brien does, but Rick Smith is part of the old boring regime. Is the boringness a product of Kubiak? Is it part of the front office having not guts? I don't know at this point. But, I'll be surprised at this point if the Texans have more than 6 wins this year.

At this point, they should take a DL or OL with the second round and wait for Savage or Murray. Heck, why not wait until the 5th for Logan Thomas??

I've pumped Texans sunshine long enough. I'm fed up with it. Again -- my opinion.

Well, I wasn't yelling through the whole draft, "Take Foster! Take Foster!"

I also had a conniption when they took DeMeco Ryans, because I was so sure that was a bad pick.

I also did a WTF? on JJ Watt, but at least I didn't complain, because I felt sorry for him when fans booed.

Only time I remember actually being right was when I wanted Darrell Revis.

I'll get over it.

Not to toot my own horn (well maybe just a little), but I was dying to draft Patrick Willis or Darrell Revis in the Amobi draft, told Foster when I met him his rookie season that he was going to be our future stud RB, called for Kubiak's head after the 2010 season and wanted Jim Harbaugh, was thrilled when we drafted Demeco and even wanted to trade up into the first to get him (thankfully we didn't have to), and SCREAMED at the top of my lungs when we signed Schaub to that stupid extension following the lisfranc injury.

Nobody bats 1.000 but based on the Texans track record, I can't say I have a whole lot of faith in this organization. Call me a bandwagon fan if you want, but I'm tired of the ineptitude. And for gosh sakes at least fire guys when they have proven they suck! What in the hell is Rick Smith still doing as GM of the football team?!?

Not to toot my own horn (well maybe just a little), but I was dying to draft Patrick Willis or Darrell Revis in the Amobi draft, told Foster when I met him his rookie season that he was going to be our future stud RB, called for Kubiak's head after the 2010 season and wanted Jim Harbaugh, was thrilled when we drafted Demeco and even wanted to trade up into the first to get him (thankfully we didn't have to), and SCREAMED at the top of my lungs when we signed Schaub to that stupid extension following the lisfranc injury.

Nobody bats 1.000 but based on the Texans track record, I can't say I have a whole lot of faith in this organization. Call me a bandwagon fan if you want, but I'm tired of the ineptitude. And for gosh sakes at least fire guys when they have proven they suck! What in the hell is Rick Smith still doing as GM of the football team?!?

Plus your user name has "Watt" in it and you joined in 2006. That's a pretty good prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back