Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

LZ 2023 2.0 Mock

Texans take Bryce Young #2 and Iowa DL Lukas Van Ness at #12.

Trades, but none with the Bears. 4 QBs going in the top 8.
Interesting, Ravens tagged Lamar Jackson IIRC but could still work out a trade. I really dont want either of those guys at our picks.

Don't really know, other than there was a senior, John Waggoner, starting at the same position. Van Ness led the team in TFL and tied for team lead in sacks. So he got plenty of snaps.
Or was more effective with the limited opportunities he got.

Don't really know, other than there was a senior, John Waggoner, starting at the same position. Van Ness led the team in TFL and tied for team lead in sacks. So he got plenty of snaps.
  • Height: 6-feet-5 inches
  • Weight: 272 pounds
  • 40-yard dash: 4.58 - T-9th at position
  • 10-yard split: 1.84 - T-7th
  • Vertical leap: 31 inches - 15th
  • Broad jump: 9-feet, 10 inches - T-10th
  • 3-cone drill: 7.02 seconds - 2nd
  • 20-yard shuttle: 4.32 - 2nd
  • Bench press: N/A
Van Ness solidified himself as a first-round pick, potentially as high as top 15. His athletic ability was on display as he finished with a Relative Athletic Score (a NFL Combine measuring tool) of 9.22 out of 10. Much has been made about him not being a starter at Iowa but it could be argued that he's just scratching the surface of his potential.
Helluva Combine performance and he's a big white-boy Dlineman in the Big Ten so you know who's fans will flock to buy his jersey at Academy if we draft him.
"Not starting" ? Yea what's that about, so maybe he dated and dumped the head coachs daughter ?
Gots to have a definitive explanation for why your 12th overall pick didn't start on his college team ?

Just found this quote from Iowa's DC on how the Hawkeyes use their DL.

Iowa likes to rotate eight or nine defensive linemen a game. Despite not starting, only one Hawkeye defensive lineman (Logan Lee) played more snaps than Van Ness last fall.

“The defensive line, remember, every play they’re hitting someone. And you’ve got the leaders of the D-line,” Parker said. “He’s got to develop that leadership ability in the future. … And he played a lot more than the other guys, even though he didn’t start. To us, starting – it’s not like that’s your goal.”

Lance inclination is OL heavy. PFF is more team movement heavy, specifically targeting talent. Think the later is more the new norm but understand both perspectives.

Then poor coaching my opinion. Starting title is influence to play better. All players not equal. Watt was part of TEAM but he didn’t rotate. Rarely left the field.
I agree there BB because if a guys that good then he rarely comes off of the field, for example JJ Watt.
Perhaps there was some kind of personal issue(s) between the Iowa Dlineman and his coach who should know
the importance of being a "starter". I dunno but if this kid has problems taking coaching then teams want to know
these things ?

waka-flocka-ok.gif

Back