2. Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
3. Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama
4. Mike Neal, DT, Purdue
5. Major Wright, FS, Florida
6a. Walter Thurmond, CB, Oregon
6b. John Estes, C/OG, Hawaii
7. Boo Robinson, DT, Wake Forest

Last edited:
consensus is building to take Mathews in first.
can't agree on which cb to take in 2nd, Texans feel they have the players needed already in place.
OG list is growing out in third
so is DT list in fourth
intersting FS prospect this far down the line
remember Texans have two 6th's not 5th's, love Thurmond pick however
finish out center/tackle
nice job :)

consensus is building to take Mathews in first.
can't agree on which cb to take in 2nd, Texans feel they have the players needed already in place.
OG list is growing out in third
so is DT list in fourth
intersting FS prospect this far down the line
remember Texans have two 6th's not 5th's, love Thurmond pick however
finish out center/tackle
nice job :)

I almost want to go Chris Cook in the 2nd to give the Texans a versatile CB/FS and still take both Wright and Thurmond later.

1. Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
4. Mike Neal, DT, Purdue

1. Mathews, he's a good player and right for our system, I just don't see him or any other RB as a 1st round need. Good player and pick, just not what I would have chosen.
2. McCourty, I don't know alot about this guy but everything I read is very positive. He might not be available at #51.
3. Johnson, I doubt seriously that he's still available when we pick but if he is it's a great choice. He'll probably go in the 2nd or very early 3rd round.
4. Neal, I don't know anything about this guy either.
5. Wright, Good pick this far down, it's a very deep S class so some decent talent should be down here.
6. Thurmond, I don't like this guy, I've seen some video on him and he was very unimpressive and slow. This late in the draft I'd go for Walter McFadden who's got decent size, great speed, and he played against the best talent in the SEC.
6. Estes, I don't know alot about this guy either but what I've heard has been positive and we'll need some later round O-line depth. Good pick.
7. Robinson, Good pick, he wasn't real productive in college but he should be good rotational depth and he supposedly has a real good work ethic.

I like the order in which you prioritized our choices by position and then added depth at those same positions later in the draft. Very good.

4. Mike Neal, DT, Purdue
great if happens:

1 Mathews my guy
2. McCourty had him for a bit but I hear Detroit takes him #34. I have Ansah CB/FS/KR in 3rd. Leaning to OLB Washington in 2nd.
3. Johnson good pick & just may be here. Smith signed may delete need.
4. Neal good but I had Eric Olsen C as not sure Smith is C>OG.
5. Wright not here but Robert Johnson FS Utah 13 INTs 3 years.

great if happens:

1 Mathews my guy
2. McCourty had him for a bit but I hear Detroit takes him #34. I have Ansah CB/FS/KR in 3rd. Leaning to OLB Washington in 2nd.
3. Johnson good pick & just may be here. Smith signed may delete need.
4. Neal good but I had Eric Olsen C as not sure Smith is C>OG.
5. Wright not here but Robert Johnson FS Utah 13 INTs 3 years.

I thought Gerhart was your guy?

I thought Gerhart was your guy?
You must have missed my posts for a while. As you know BeerLover, RMARTIN65 and I did a previous thread mocking Gerhart, but on the post -combine mock we are working on we have agreed that Texans comments about needing a "power back to move the pile, score in Red Zone and get short yardage" for two years have not ended with that type of back being drafted. Especially as UDFA Adrian Foster (that type of back) seemed to do fairly well last 3 games against so so competition. We have decided to go with Ryan Mathews who is the protypical back for this team. 5'11" 200 lbs 4.44 combine is hard to turn away from. His only "negative" is the college he came from.

We hope to post our next mock soon but there is even more discussion on the players we think will fit, be available and still be someone the Texans would actually draft than our first mock. We must be a touch insane to put in the hours of research we do, but we three really love this part of the year.

You must have missed my posts for a while. As you know BeerLover, RMARTIN65 and I did a previous thread mocking Gerhart, but on the post -combine mock we are working on we have agreed that Texans comments about needing a "power back to move the pile, score in Red Zone and get short yardage" for two years have not ended with that type of back being drafted. Especially as UDFA Adrian Foster (that type of back) seemed to do fairly well last 3 games against so so competition. We have decided to go with Ryan Mathews who is the protypical back for this team. 5'11" 200 lbs 4.44 combine is hard to turn away from. His only "negative" is the college he came from.

We hope to post our next mock soon but there is even more discussion on the players we think will fit, be available and still be someone the Texans would actually draft than our first mock. We must be a touch insane to put in the hours of research we do, but we three really love this part of the year.

I haven't been on much recently so it's quite possible that I just didn't notice the change until now.

I've been on Mathews' bandwagon for a really long time and I'm glad that his combine performance has a lot of other people here liking him as well. I would be very happy if we got him.

Changed a few things based on the signing of Smith

1. Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
2. Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia
3. Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech
4. Matt Tennant, C, Boston College
6a. Myron Lewis, CB/FS, Vanderbilt
6b. Jason Fox, OT, Miami
7. Jay Ross, NT, East Carolina

we have agreed that Texans comments about needing a "power back to move the pile, score in Red Zone and get short yardage" for two years have not ended with that type of back being drafted. Especially as UDFA Adrian Foster (that type of back) seemed to do fairly well last 3 games against so so competition. We have decided to go with Ryan Mathews who is the protypical back for this team. 5'11" 200 lbs 4.44 combine is hard to turn away from. His only "negative" is the college he came from.

Texans comments or fan comments? I haven't seen anything from the Texans ever referring to moving the pile, only from fans. Of course every team talks about scoring and short yardage but it doesn't mean they are all talking about the same kind of RB or even a RB as the solution to the problem. It's Arian, not Adrian Foster and how does a 215 lb back become "that type of back"? 215 lbs is not ordinarily considered a big RB. I'm not a big back advocate, just sayin'. And Mathews goes 218 lbs, not 200 lbs.

Changed a few things based on the signing of Smith

1. Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
4. Matt Tennant, C, Boston College
6b. Jason Fox, OT, Miami

how does the signing of Smith impact your draft from this?
4. Mike Neal, DT, Purdue

I hope it doesn't!!! I'd prefer Mathews/Johnson on the team in addition to Smith rather than banking on a vet OL who has been a backup the majority of his career making a major difference in our running game...

4. Mike Neal, DT, Purdue

major wright in the 5th round would be great, but i doubt he'll be there

he'll probably last in the late 2nd-early 3rd round, jmo.

I think that SD will trade up and try to get Mathews before the Texans can and by doing so the Texans go CB. Wade allows the Texans to not have to spend a pick so high on a OG. I think the Texans can get someone like Byers in the 5th to play either C or OG and push for either position in the season.

1. Joe Haden, CB, Florida
4. Major Wright, FS, Florida
5. Jeff Byers, C/OG, USC
6b. Jason Fox, OT, Miami

I think that SD will trade up and try to get Mathews before the Texans can and by doing so the Texans go CB. Wade allows the Texans to not have to spend a pick so high on a OG. I think the Texans can get someone like Byers in the 5th to play either C or OG and push for either position in the season.

5. Jeff Byers, C/OG, USC
6b. Jason Fox, OT, Miami

Looks good. They've got some interest in Lewis, if he's there in the 6th thats a great pick. I can't see Ross falling to the 7th. I'd take him in the 4th! And stick with Kyle Wilson! Joe Haden will be gone.

Looks good. They've got some interest in Lewis, if he's there in the 6th thats a great pick. I can't see Ross falling to the 7th. I'd take him in the 4th! And stick with Kyle Wilson! Joe Haden will be gone.

I think Wilson is the better CB and Haden will fall to the Texans

Interesting because LZ posted on his twitter that a scout would pass on Haden in the first and most of the 2nd. I asked if it was widespread opinion and he replied that the scout was swolid on his evaluations.

5. Jeff Byers, C/OG, USC
6b. Jason Fox, OT, Miami
Maybe Smith can call San Diego and say we are possibly drafting a RB in 2nd what will you give me to trade up for Mathews?

I agree with all everything OMT said here. Also, I still don't think we will get another small 3 tech DT like Geno Atkins. It's the same position as Okoye and unless they are planning on getting rid of him soon I don't think they draft a 3 tech that early in the draft if at all. JMHO!

Back