Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Let’s Welcome Back Case Keenum

I know one particular member will happy with this signing.

Wow okay that's a good one always liked him. After reading this post I found this. In this article it also says Garoppolo signs with the Raiders

giphy.gif

It's like you want to get better and move on but they keep pulling you back in...... :joker:

I think I even got a Case Keenum jersey around here somewhere..... Lol

Keenum will be the backup to the new QB they draft, whoever that is. Does Mills have any practice squad eligibility left? LOL

Welcome back Keenum.

Welcome back
Your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back
To that same old place that you laughed about
Well, the names have all changed
Since you hung around
But those dreams have remained
And they've turned around
Who'd have thought they'd lead you
(Who'd have thought they'd lead you)
Back here where we need you?
(Back here where we need you?)
Yeah, we tease him a lot
'Cause we got him on the spot
Welcome back

So, do you think Case could beat Mills for the starting job this year? :evilb:
My gut feeling is that the new regime likes Mills and feels all he needs is stability. He's had a different coach every year. They're going to give him a chance. Unless they're blown away by one of the quarterbacks in this draft and I don't think they are. I'm fairly confident that the Bears and Caserio had conversations before the Bears trade with Carolina and the Texans, had they been sold on one of the quarterbacks and out on Mills, would have traded up to ensure they got their guy. Caserio at least knew the Bears were open to trading the #1 pick. And it was going to be a team wanting a quarterback.

These guys see the same things we do. It's not a strong draft class. Carolina allowed themselves to get fleeced by the Bears, IMHO.

I'm fairly confident that the Bears and Caserio had conversations before the Bears trade with Carolina and the Texans, had they been sold on one of the quarterbacks and out on Mills, would have traded up to ensure they got their guy. Caserio at least knew the Bears were open to trading the #1 pick. And it was going to be a team wanting a quarterback.
Oh no doubt that our GM and the Bears GM talked about trading the #1 but yes it would seem that nothin happened here because the Texans don't see a QB in this Draft that they really, really like.
Mills has played two games against The 49rs so maybe Ryans & Co saw something they liked, some upside.

I like Keenum, but I hope that this is not a sign that Young is the QB that the Texans have fallen in love with. Case shares "similar" style of play. Even though he is 3 inches taller (and still said because of his height, he has always had to adjust his playing and specifically passing style to accommodate his shorter height) and probably plays at ~10-15 lbs heavier, the team could definitely be seeing him as the mentor to Young.

Kubiak didn't think he fit in the Shanahan system. Then we bring him back the year we bring back the Shanahan system.
What are you talking about?

In 2016, when Keenum was with the Rams and Kubiak was with the Broncos, Kubiak already tried to bring Keenum in.

As the Broncos lost Peyton to retirement, Kubiak was wanting to bring in Keenum, but the Rams placed a first round tender on him.
That was too rich for Elway so Keenum remained with the Rams.

Then later on, when Kubiak retired; he kicked upstairs and was instrumental in bringing Keenum in to be the starter for the Broncos under Joseph.

The #2 draft pick now the jimmy g stuff is over shifts most of the opinion point to QB young or CJ. Most say #1 draft Carolina will take one of them. But is it really a guarantee maybe the Texans will go defense like an Anderson etc. Remembering the Carr Peppers draft and the CLowney Mario drafts. Tendency maybe to draft BPA defense here. Just throwing this option or idea out again vs the most favorable. These top QBs this year are like oy vey! Good but not losing sleep over

Mills has played two games against The 49rs so maybe Ryans & Co saw something they liked, some upside.

If that’s the case then evaluation skills have not improved with this new staff. I think they’re better than that.

If that’s the case then evaluation skills have not improved with this new staff. I think they’re better than that.
Notice I said "maybe".
Yes it's the same physical location, but it's a new regime, a new HC & OC. Might make a difference, might not.

Welcome back Keenum.

Welcome back
Your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back
To that same old place that you laughed about
Well, the names have all changed
Since you hung around
But those dreams have remained
And they've turned around
Who'd have thought they'd lead you
(Who'd have thought they'd lead you)
Back here where we need you?
(Back here where we need you?)
Yeah, we tease him a lot
'Cause we got him on the spot
Welcome back
This was posted also the second time we signed him. At least this time he was not up in a tree.

He played college football for Houston, where he became the NCAA's all-time leader in total passing yards, touchdowns, and completions. In the 2008 college football season, Keenum ranked first nationally in total offense and second in total passing yards.
A shame it didn't mean squat in the NFL - just shows the disparity between college and the pros.
I would rather that Keenum doesn't get to play much (though I know he's a very competitive guy).

He doesn't really carry a team even in his best year with the Vikings - not to a high degree).
(Granted his primary RB, Dalvin Cook, got hurt after just 4 games and the offensive line only ranked 22nd).
PFF even noted that Keenum was able to wiggle out of some sacks; otherwise, that ranking could have been worse.

That seems to be the story with Case wherever he goes.

I'd rather he be the mentor to the young guy(s) to help move the franchise forward.

I once compared Keenum's stats against Flacco (in depth) and there was practically no difference; if anything it stilted toward Keenum very slightly.

And Flacco was given the reign from the start so they built that team around him and the Ravens had a great defense for the most part.
Flacco had all the stability a QB can have while Keenum had to move from team to team, with so many different HCs and OCs.

I had to wonder if Keenum was afforded the same type of stability, how his career would have been like.

Even in his year with the Broncos; I had said they'd better go with Quenton Nelson at G, but no, they went with Bradley Chubb.
And sure as heck, the Broncos were hit with a rash on injury on the offensive line, especially in the interior.
The Center Matt Paradis was injured so they had to moved McGovern in from guard. But that became more of a problem with Garcia, the starting guard being out).
All the while, the fourth-highest paid defense was underperforming (and that included Bradley Chubb on a rookie contract).
Vance Joseph was certainly over his head in his first HC gig (bungling a call that let the Texans scored some cheap points, if you remember it.)

I think it confirms NOT a QB at 2. Not so much about Keenum, but more about the new “it all starts up front” defensive minded head coach. If he thinks there’s more quality of talent for a DL than there is a QB, then we’ll all find how much pull he has.
Well, not if you look at it this way - other than Lamar Jackson, the rest of the FA QBs are basically backups.
I don't think we're going into 2023 with 3 of those.

I think it confirms NOT a QB at 2. Not so much about Keenum, but more about the new “it all starts up front” defensive minded head coach. If he thinks there’s more quality of talent for a DL than there is a QB, then we’ll all find how much pull he has.

If you aren't taking a QB at 2, you aren't getting one. Unless you are hitching your wagon to a 3rd tier guy like Hooker, which might require a 1st rounder anyways.

Missing out on Jimmy G pretty much forces QB at 2.

I didn’t say they weren’t going to draft a QB. I just doubt it’s at 2.

If they’re not drafting a QB at 2 then they’re wasting everyone’s time. IMO that includes waiting til 12 or trading back from 2, to try and get Richardson or Levis, if they’re still available, or waiting later to try and get Hooker. If people don’t think the top of the class (Young/Stroud) are the answer, I don’t know why anyone would think those guys are.

Case wasn’t brought here to lead this team anywhere. He was brought here to teach the new QB. The QB they take at 2.

As far as backup QB money goes they got him dirt cheap with only $4M total guaranteed and around $3M cap hit this and next year. Good signing. Anyone who doesn't think we draft QB at #2 at this point is cray cray. Mills doesn't seem to be the answer and neither is a 35 year old Keenum. You take best QB at #2 and try to jump start this thing. I could have seen a scenario where we went Garopollo/Mills for a year and wait out the 2024 QB class but that ship has sailed with him going to the Raiders. There is no one else of note to bring in. My guess is they think Bryce Young will fall to them and Keenum's years of experience and playing in the NFL at a smaller size can help guide along Bryce Young. If I had to guess today, you got Keenum/Young/Mills as your 3 QBs. I'd expect Young to start day 1 with Keenum being the backup. Mills would go back to development role to see if he progresses any more. He'd only be brought back on the field in case of an injury to Young and/or poor play by Keenum.

Last edited:
Back