Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Leah Still

majestrate

Rookie
I'm not trying to belittle cancer, or anyone that finds strength in Leah Still's story. But I have to ask, am I the only one that felt as though the NFL publicity machine latched onto the Still's story and used it to try and redirect focus from the abuse issues?

At first it was a good story. Inspirational. And then the Bengals did the jersey sales get turned into donations thing, which was awesome. After that, Sean Peyton did his thing, which made it even better. The icing was the Patriots tribute and Robert Kraft's donation. All-in-all, positive light (the donations this story drove) on a very rough situation for many families.

And then the Cleveland vs Cincinnati game happened. It was like every 10 minutes the clip of daughter waving to father was replayed. And the NFL Network commentators couldn't mention enough times what a good job the NFL has done to bring this issue to light. Or how the NFL takes care of its own because the Bengals organization did what it would take so that Devon Still would continue to receive NFL health insurance benefits. And everyone one of them wanted to say hi and talk to Leah Still. Then, after that game, it's like "Leah who".

I didn't watch all of Monday Night Countdown, nor of Football Night in America, but it didn't seem like any time was spent discussing the Still family (FNA might have replayed that clip of Leah waving to her dad?). Was it because the NFL Network was late to the story, whereas all the other networks had covered it a month ago? Or was it that the NFL wanted to try and spin the story back up and get more positive press?

Or am I so over-analyzing it's ridiculous?

I will make edits as I reread, so if the post changes, it's probably to clarify something, or to correct obvious grammar/spelling mistakes

I think you're on point about the NFL. The NFL does not take care of their own unless they are forced to.

Now, an individual team like the Bengals may take care of their own. But I truly believe that the NFL as an organization cares about money and that's it. They have shown this time and time again.

Having said that, I am surrounded by loved ones who have cancer and I think that any positive momentum that can be gained from this story should be exploited.

This is going to sound terrible and it is only my opinion based on personal experience but I have found that the general public doesn't really care too much about cancer unless it's breast cancer. It is selfishly refreshing to see a different type of cancer gain some major mainstream attention for once.

My wife's family has had some rough luck with cancer lately and this story has really helped her keep a positive outlook. We bought the shirts and now she's a Bengals fan, but she is keeping up with the story daily and I can tell you that a happy ending would really be a great thing for a lot of people, including those that don't even know the Still family.

This kind of turned into a rant more than anything else. Hell, maybe I need to see something positive right now too. F*** cancer.

I guess it's impossible for the NFL to do anything right. And of course if they don't do anything, that will be wrong too.

I need a new roof and it'll be the NFL's fault until they give me one.

Seriously though, I've enjoyed the Still story. I'd rather read stories like this everyday than these cats whooping up on chicks, doing drugs, drunk driving, etc.

I need a new roof and it'll be the NFL's fault until they give me one.

Seriously though, I've enjoyed the Still story. I'd rather read stories like this everyday than these cats whooping up on chicks, doing drugs, drunk driving, etc.

Agreed.

I'm not seeing big picture PR scheming, here. Looked to develop pretty organically and just grew from there..... and I'm not seeing how the Leah story impacts the bad news generated by a few players or black eye the league office earned.

I'm not seeing big picture PR scheming, here. Looked to develop pretty organically and just grew from there..... and I'm not seeing how the Leah story impacts the bad news generated by a few players or black eye the league office earned.

It's really a pretty condescending/self-aggrandizing assertion: "I saw both stories, but most people won't be able to follow both without distraction."

It's really a pretty condescending/self-aggrandizing assertion: "I saw both stories, but most people won't be able to follow both without distraction."

I'm not seeing where this story is connected with anything else to do with the NFL. I think this would have unfolded the very same way no matter what happened with the league earlier in the year.

I see it as a win-win for both sides. The NFL gets some good PR, whether they needed it or not. The Still family gets access to benefits they probably otherwise wouldn't have had.

The NFL is doing a good thing. I just don't think that this one thing illustrates that the NFL cares about their players when they have shown for decades that they do not.

I think you may be, yes. I find childhood cancer to be one of the most tragic things imaginable. I cannot fathom the pain and helpless that family must feel. In addition to the hopeful message I hope the Still family gets from this, I think increased awareness of childhood cancer and the research still needed is a positive. I really don't see this as self-serving from the NFL in any way. I think they're using their power for good, and I am totally in support

I guess it's impossible for the NFL to do anything right. And of course if they don't do anything, that will be wrong too.
That's never my stance. I believe myself to be a mostly rational and logical person. Often times I'm trying to read into things in an attempt to sort fluff and fiction from fact. And I'm far from trying to paint the NFL as some evil organization that's out to kill all the puppies and kittens.

In this instance, it's not the actions that I question, it's the motivation behind the actions that make me suspicious. I agree with Playoffs, that the story does seem to have grown organically, however it was all but unreported on for about a month, and then the NFL decided to try and bring it to the front of everyone's mind again. I guess I just don't trust that it was being done in attempt to help keep the light shining on a topic that should never be forgotten until all forms of cancer have become equivilant to the measles (I know, cancer is not a virus, I'm speaking more in terms of it being something that can be deadly, but is treatable for almost everyone).

Maybe, in the end, the motivation shouldn't matter, but it rubs me the wrong way to think that someone's battle with a life-threatening illness is being exploited in an attempt to change the perception of an organization (a perception that I personally do not hold; which probably adds to why this bugs me so much).

I will say that in regards to the Still family, the Bengals organization has given me a reason to really be proud to call myself a Bengals fan. They could have simply let him go, but brought him back to the practice squad and that ensured he would continue to have insurance to care for his daughter.

Being a father of 2 little guys, I couldn't imagine going through what the Still family is going through. Everytime he takes the field, i'm hoping he makes a play and when he does, it's celebrated greatly. I could only hope to be as strong as him if I had to face that situation with my own children.

On a side, I think the reason that particular game got so much attention and why they kept showing Leah and Devon waving to each other is that it was the very first time she had seen her father play a football game. Pretty cool stuff right there.

I won't comment on what the NFL does or doesn't do, but I will simply focus on the good the Bengals organization has done here and continue rooting for good things to happen with the Still family, as well as all of the other families (like mine) that have/are struggling with cancer.

to me the bengals' organization has done a great and righteous thing in the way they've handled devon still and his daughter. the world gravitated to the story because of the way it was handled and was able to see the message because of it. childhood cancer is just about the most awful demon there is, and the bengals quietly stood strong to help one man and his family. that gained fame.

later, the NFL is all about using that fame to grab headlines. the issue is in appearances. the bengals organization APPEAR to have worked selflessly to support a man and his family in a dire situation. the NFL now APPEARS to be marketing a feel good story.

much like 5% or less of BCA merchandise sales going to breast cancer research and support, this seems more like marketing than doing the right thing.

BUT ... as selfish and unsavory as it may be, the end result (that NFL and other leeches count on) is that the message is being spread and support is increased for a worthy cause.

Yeah, the NFL side of it is what it is and I don't really care to spend much time thinking of it.

The Bengals on the other hand sold the Still jerseys and donated 100% to Pediatric Cancer research and the Cincinnati Children's hospital. Close to 4 million dollars raised. That's the part of the story I prefer to focus on. Good stuff.

Yeah, the NFL side of it is what it is and I don't really care to spend much time thinking of it.

The Bengals on the other hand sold the Still jerseys and donated 100% to Pediatric Cancer research and the Cincinnati Children's hospital. Close to 4 million dollars raised. That's the part of the story I prefer to focus on. Good stuff.

Very nice. Classy

11356757_1596843080589086_376115844_n.jpg

man_of_still75 1 hour ago

I need some prayers sent up for Leah tonight! We hit a pretty serious complication from the stem cell transplant called VOD. They caught it early so hopefully it gives the doctors a better chance of stopping it from getting aggressive. As you can imagine our minds are all over the place but we're going to try and remain positive! #LeahStrong #WaitingForTheDayEverythingReturnsToNormal

If you're so inclined.

I need some prayers sent up for Leah tonight! We hit a pretty serious complication from the stem cell transplant called VOD. They caught it early so hopefully it gives the doctors a better chance of stopping it from getting aggressive. As you can imagine our minds are all over the place but we're going to try and remain positive! #LeahStrong #WaitingForTheDayEverythingReturnsToNormal

If you're so inclined.
I'm so inclined.
Done.

If you're so inclined.

This is a very sad story ........even sadder because it is a child. As opposed to what many believe, stem cell transplantation is not entirely predictable and has some very serious potential complications associated with it. In this case, VOD has been reported in studies ranging from ~10 to 60%. VOD (veno-hepatic occlusive disease) is a condition when the small filtering blood vessels that make up a large part of the liver become injured and plugged up.........and the body's toxins can no longer be properly detoxified. In all but the milder cases, this commonly results in a progression of liver failure, followed by kidney failure, lung failure and overwhelming immunodeficiency-caused infection. Despite aggressive treatment, mortality rate in the first 100 days alone is ~40%........and those that live beyond the 100 days are high risk to eventually succumb, if not for the aforementioned factors, because of recurrence of their original disease.

My prayers go out for the little girl.

I almost hate when this thread gets bumped, my heart sinks expecting a new development. Very thankful to see such good news.

I know the NFL hype machine gets a hole of stories like hers, but its still heartbreaking for any little girl or boy have to deal with something like that. I would trade places with them yesterday, because I know I have lived not the longest life being in my late 40's, but I can imagine having to deal with a disease like cancer as a 4yr old or being a parent facing losing a young child.

still.jpg

Devon Still announces his daughter Leah is cancer-free
BY SI WIRE|Posted: Tue Dec. 1, 2015

Leah Still, the daughter of former Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Devon Still, is now cancer-free, her father announced on Instagram.

Leah Still was diagnosed with stage-four neuroblastoma in June 2014 and was given a 50-50 chance to survive.

Leah underwent tests at the end of July which confirmed her cancer was still in remission. She was awarded her own Wheaties Cereal box in August, just one month after she was honored at the ESPY's.

Still is currently a free-agent after being waived by the Bengals in September. The Bengals previously kept him on their practice squad to help him pay for Leah’s medical care. He was later promoted to the active roster and recorded 19 tackles in 12 games.​

still.jpg

Devon Still announces his daughter Leah is cancer-free
BY SI WIRE|Posted: Tue Dec. 1, 2015
Leah Still, the daughter of former Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Devon Still, is now cancer-free, her father announced on Instagram.

Leah Still was diagnosed with stage-four neuroblastoma in June 2014 and was given a 50-50 chance to survive.

Leah underwent tests at the end of July which confirmed her cancer was still in remission. She was awarded her own Wheaties Cereal box in August, just one month after she was honored at the ESPY's.

Still is currently a free-agent after being waived by the Bengals in September. The Bengals previously kept him on their practice squad to help him pay for Leah’s medical care. He was later promoted to the active roster and recorded 19 tackles in 12 games.​
Hell yeah! Great news for Devon Still & his family.

Tania Ganguli @taniaganguli
The Houston Texans have signed defensive tackle Devon Still to a futures contract. The deal will be effective starting in the 2016 league year. Still's daughter, Leah, caught the nation's attention as she battled cancer last season. The Texans sent her a Frozen gift basket while she was in the hospital. Still said last month that Leah is cancer free.

Leah is a Texan now!
Houston-Texans-Logo-Small.jpg

LeahDone_zpsrwutzvok.jpg

With Leah finishing her last treatment last night, I can really say my daughter BEAT CANCER!

Words can't describe how proud I am of this girl. No matter how hard it got or how painful the treatments were (and it was pretty bad a lot of the times) she never gave up!

I want to thank everyone who followed us as I documented her fight on social media. The amount of support we received was beyond amazing! I can honestly say that you all made a big difference. Every time we received bad news or felt like it was coming to a point were we couldn't fight anymore, I would go to the comments you all wrote cheering us on and it would make us fight so much harder. I ask that since Leah's fight is at the end that you follow other families journeys and cheer them on just as you did us!

My advice to any family going through this battle: no matter how hard it gets, no matter what the doctors tell you, always remain positive! Speak victory into existence. Give your child's fight with cancer a purpose. Use it to raise awareness so that you can help all kids fighting this disease. No matter how big or small your platform/following is, you will reach that one family that just needs to know they're not alone in the fight so they don't give up.

Drop to your knees everyday and pray. I was never a big spiritual person but I always believed in God and knew who to turn to in the time of need. Keeping faith that God will see you through doesn't make the battle easier but it makes winning possible! It gives you back the hope that is stripped away from you every time you watch your kid endure the pain from the treatments and the bad news you often receive from the doctors. #LEAHSTRONG #STILLSTRONG​

https://www.instagram.com/p/BActVSbJ6pG/

Back