Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak takes responsibility

It is all well and good that he "takes responsibililty", but until he changes some of the ways he does things they are just empty words. He needs to look at what he does and doesn't do and get beyond his ego or stubborness and make the appropriate changes.

I don't feel that Kubiak is letting ego or stubborness influence his coaching decisions.

Any changes he makes will be deliberate and thought out...:hmmm:

There will be no knee jerk reactions from Kubiak.

I have noticed this trait in him already by the way he reacts to reporters questions. I do not see a whole lot of the coachspeak we were accustomed to in the past.

I would rather hear " I take responsibility" instead of " we didn't execute"
One is the sign of a coach in charge the other is passing the buck to your players.

Changes are coming, what they will be is anybodys' guess, but they will be small and deliberate.

I am as disappointed and impatient as any Texan fan out there..:homer:

But

I believe that Kubiak entered into this task knowing it was going to be a marathon and not a sprint.

:twocents:

:coffee:

Sweeping player changes on Defense? This year is a complete repeat of last season. Wasn't it about this time last year that Riley, Babin, and P-Buc were yanked? I'll await a weird injury to sideline AJ the rest of the year.

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling we are going to see several instances of that going on this year with players. It's not like they are going to want to go out there and play through any kind of pain for this franchise. The next question we have to ask ourselves is how long are our good players willing to stay on a team like this? How long before Dunta & AJ want a trade? Will we be able to pick up good free agents in the offseasons? Doubt it..... everyone wants to play to compete for the playoffs/championship and this team is so far from just competing on any Sunday it's rediculous....

There will be no knee jerk reactions from Kubiak.

I've got to disagree with you on this one. Remember after week one when the media criticized the Texans for utilizing Mario at three different positions on the line saying that it would hinder his development. Shortly thereafter we're told that Mario will be playing DE exclusively.

Also, after week one when the running game was so horrid the Texans made the trade for Gado in exchange for Morrency. This could've been something Sherman pushed for all along, but I would think if that were the case they'd have tried to trade for him sooner like during the preseason. It seems to me like it was a trade in response to the poor play of the RBs in week one.

Yeah, evidently so. Kinda hard to swallow isn't it?

It downright infuriates me. I am not saying we should blitz every play, but you have to mix it up. If we bring 4 guys 95% of the time teams will put up 3-400 yards passing on you all day. I wanna see DRob come in on a corner blitz. I wanna see Earl come in on a delayed safety blitz. If we would bring the blitz it would help the secondary out and could open up possibilities for our linemen.

It downright infuriates me. I am not saying we should blitz every play, but you have to mix it up. If we bring 4 guys 95% of the time teams will put up 3-400 yards passing on you all day. I wanna see DRob come in on a corner blitz. I wanna see Earl come in on a delayed safety blitz. If we would bring the blitz it would help the secondary out and could open up possibilities for our linemen.

Not exactly the "aggressive" defense we were promised is it? Unless they meant the defense would aggressively pursue the title of worst defense in the league. If that's the case then they were dead on.

I've got to disagree with you on this one. Remember after week one when the media criticized the Texans for utilizing Mario at three different positions on the line saying that it would hinder his development. Shortly thereafter we're told that Mario will be playing DE exclusively.

Also, after week one when the running game was so horrid the Texans made the trade for Gado in exchange for Morrency. This could've been something Sherman pushed for all along, but I would think if that were the case they'd have tried to trade for him sooner like during the preseason. It seems to me like it was a trade in response to the poor play of the RBs in week one.

Agreed. Kubiak was stone cold right up until the season started. Now, IMO, I'm seeing a lot of knee-jerk reactions, which I am attributing to him being a new coach.

Not exactly the "aggressive" defense we were promised is it? Unless they meant the defense would aggressively pursue the title of worst defense in the league. If that's the case then they were dead on.

I don't think our defense could stop a little league team right now. And I honestly believe that on the line and at LB the talent and ability is there, that it is just not being utilized.

I don't think our defense could stop a little league team right now. And I honestly believe that on the line and at LB the talent and ability is there, that it is just not being utilized.

I think the talent is there on the line, but I don't see the heart or instincts for the game aside from Payne and Weaver on occasion. Babin shows flashes of being a pass rusher, but Mario is looking more and more like a workout warrior. I'm hopeful that the confusion is just rookie jitters, but I honestly don't see much of a football IQ from the guy. The linebackers have a legit playmaker in Ryans, but he's a rookie and is bound to make plenty of costly mistakes this season. Greenwood is a marginal OLB at best but with better line play he could look a lot better, and I really don't believe Orr would be starting for any other 4-3 team in the league at OLB. Heck Peek might be a better option at OLB, and I really don't see the harm in putting Charlie Anderson in at Orr's spot. He can't do much worse.

This is an area where Kubiak can change his philosophy if he is taking responsibility for some problems. Let's move Mario around after he learns one position at an NFL level.

I don't mind him moving from left to right so much, but when they find a favorable matchup..... mario on the RT, exploit it..... Mario was much to fast for him. Send the linebacker from that side every now and again...... the HB will either have to choose to help with Mario, or get the LB.. ....

Right now, it seems like they'll send a linebacker whereever, if they feel to send anyone at all.

To me, it looks like we have 11 guys playing Defense out there, instead of a defensive unit.

It's not a secret that Kubiak wants 'everything Denver' in Houston, instead of the Texans having their own idenity that would be based upon our player's strengths. Already, Gary has begun a 'massive' exodus of players that don't fit his 'Denver' system but we are a long way from having the right combination of personnel/experience to do so.

We are in a 'tweener' state, a sort of 'twilight zone.' Kubiak has never coached in this type of environment nor been in charge of an entire team that faces the same scenario. Too, many of his coaches are new in their areas of responsibility on top of the 'tweener' challenge.

This is not a good situation to have gotten into, especially with 'everything' new and all efforts now need to be on 'effective' damage control. IMO, from a coaching stand point, the offense is in a better position so that Kubiak can concentrate on the defense. Some posters think that time alone will solve our problems and that is exactly the thinking that leads some teams to decades of losing or- at best- mediocrity. This team is on the verge of being 'out of control' and entering a downward spiral with little end in site...

IMO, Gary needs to start with 'game planning.' His efforts should be on Miami this week and preparing the team to exploit the Dolphins weaknesses, while emphasizing the Texans strength. So far, we seem to be approaching each team we play the same way (ala last year) each week. For example, the Cowboys had success against the Redskins by blitzing but our game plan for those same Redskins did not feature blitzes! What was our game plan? Are we even making 'in game' adjustments to that game plan?

Kubiak can get even more specific on the defense by concentrating on our 'joke' of a defensive line, our line full of high draft choices that should be a strength. Getting the DL in the right direction will help the LB and DB, as few teams are ever successful when things aren't 'right in the trenches.'...

JMO, but the worse mistake the team can make is standing 'pat' and thinking everything will 'work' itself out-patience is not a luxury for this team 'right' now. No, Kubiak can't fix everything over night, but putting a 'viable' defense on the field would be a step in the right direction...:cowboy1:

Agreed. Kubiak was stone cold right up until the season started. Now, IMO, I'm seeing a lot of knee-jerk reactions, which I am attributing to him being a new coach.

A lot of knee jerk reactions? Name a few, I am opened to be enlightened.

Granted, not moving Mario around in the Colts game might have been a reaction to the fans complaints.

Then again, when Mario was drafted it was stated it was mainlly to disrupt PayAton. That could have been the reason he remained at end in the Colts game.

Obviously it didn't work. :thud:..Mario has a long long way to go to be effective.

I won't call him a bust yet but he is showing nothing. He is being manhandled way too easily.

I disagree with the second point about acquiring Dayne and Gato and trading Morency.

I've stated before that it is my belief that this roster will be changing all year long, I do not consider them to be knee jerk. There will be more changes in the weeks and months ahead. Kubiak is not satisfied with the roster in its current form.

I am as disappointed in the non/performance of the team as any Texan Fan out there.

I feel we must give Kubiak & Co. the benefit of the doubt for the remainder of the year and continue to support the team..:logo:

Do we really have a choice?

:twocents:

:coffee:

The current stretch of Houston Texans futility is worse than what Hugh Campbell threw at us. Larry Moriarty and all.

HC was 8-22 here. He lasted just under two seasons. He was brought here so we could get Moon.

The Texans current streak of futility is 2-18 if you go back to the Browns game at the end of '04. The Texans would have to go 6-4 in their next 10 to be as "bad" as Hugh Campbell's Oilers over a 30 game stretch.

I'm sorry, I counted the Hugh Cambell years as only the time he was here, so by that virtue I am only giving Kubiak the 0-3 record. I consider last years record to be an old regime that is now completely gone. I am giving Kubiak a clean slate and will judge him against Cambell when he has had 30 games.

I swear, a lot of stuff just goes in one ear and comes out the other side a few weeks later.

WE'RE REBUILDING!!!
Kubiak and the rest of the staff knows that and they're trying to make our underachieving D-Line learn how to make a pass rush without the blitzes.

Kubiak has done his job, look at David Carr's newfound success...hell, even Mark Bruener, our third OT, has not only caught passes, he's caught TD passes.

As I rewatched some parts of the game, I see something wrong with our defense: they're out there playing without passion, without desire. In one particular play, I saw that almost none of the guys on the D-line were moving their legs to push the O-linemen, they tried to bench press them.

I know we are rebuilding but easily predictable pass rushing is easily countered and therefore ineffective. That is why you need to use blitzes it takes advantage of the element of surprise.
Like I said, the linemen need to learn how to make a pass rush and not depend on blitzes. It may be hurting us now, but it'll be worth it in the long run...like some guy we drafted this year.

Like I said, the linemen need to learn how to make a pass rush and not depend on blitzes. It may be hurting us now, but it'll be worth it in the long run...like some guy we drafted this year.

...another poster said no other team rushes just 4 lineman but us...so we get torched every game?

On Richard Smith: he calls every D, pressure obviously is not good, even with five men rush, said they're working on it. On blitzes: Skins' max protect and have screens to fight blitzes. Said they tried everything, just not good enough.

where as it i see it as respectful to take the blame for the teams' loss...you better believe that he is going to take it out on the team this week in practice.

I don't care how much responsibility he takes if it isn't accompanied by changes for the better.

Kubiak had a rather down tone this week. Worse than last week. It makes sense considering the loss was bigger, because our opponent wasn't as good.

He sounded down on himself and the team. Kubiak has never had a losing season as far as I know. Every program he has been a part of has been a success. I wonder how he will handle having a losing season? We just aren't going to go 9-7.

I sure hope that doubts don't start to creep in on him. It will sabotage everything he is doing. More than a test of the players, this season is a test of the Kubiak regime. Things are going to get worse before they get better. He may have to fire Richard Smith at some point. There is a posibility of only three wins or less. How he is going to keep the team together is going to be a real test of his ability.

This season is will set the internal tone of the Texans for the next couple of years.

We just aren't going to go 9-7.

Rightnow........ I love you man...... we're all friends and Texans here. But if I were a player........ & I might be. This attitude would hurt me more than anything.

Sure, we haven't been playing well. But we've got thirteen games to go.

We aren't clicking on offense, and we have been mentally out of the defensive side of the ball.

We have 15 new starters on this team, and 5 of those(counting Spencer) are rookies.

on Offense... of the returning starters..... two are playing new positions.

To hear, that the fans think we have no chance in hell just to have a winning season is heartbreaking. Especially when that means all my work this year won't show dividends 'till next year, and these same fans who aren't giving me a chance this year don't want to wait 'till next year to see that hardwork pay off. They want to see it now.

& on top of that........ I (if I were a player) might not even be here next year.

Folks are you certain its Smith that is the problem or is it Kubiak changing what his staff says is best? There seems to be thoughts that he over ruled Sherman to fire Wand. Has he over ruled Smith to say no blitzing. I don't know, but when rumors start flying that the coaches are in disagreement you have a big problem.

I have also stated this team is very fragile from a confidence point of view and brow beating the guys is only going to make it worse. You have to build confidence by emphasizing successes not failures. Yelling and screaming ain't going to do it. I can not believe our team is this bad. I have said it looks like Kubiak has the same mental blocks as Capers in that he is trying to make his players do what they don't do well.

Good example is that we are not a good running team. We have excellent receivers, so utilize them. Lets have offensive success to the point we scare other teams. That will encourage the defense and hopefully they make a stop somewhere. Failure is simply going to breed more failure and possibly a total colapse of the team. We are very close to going over the edge.

Folks are you certain its Smith that is the problem or is it Kubiak changing what his staff says is best? There seems to be thoughts that he over ruled Sherman to fire Wand. Has he over ruled Smith to say no blitzing. I don't know, but when rumors start flying that the coaches are in disagreement you have a big problem.

I have also stated this team is very fragile from a confidence point of view and brow beating the guys is only going to make it worse. You have to build confidence by emphasizing successes not failures. Yelling and screaming ain't going to do it. I can not believe our team is this bad. I have said it looks like Kubiak has the same mental blocks as Capers in that he is trying to make his players do what they don't do well.

Good example is that we are not a good running team. We have excellent receivers, so utilize them. Lets have offensive success to the point we scare other teams. That will encourage the defense and hopefully they make a stop somewhere. Failure is simply going to breed more failure and possibly a total colapse of the team. We are very close to going over the edge.
the only problem I have with that offense first attitude is look at the chiefs, they used that gameplan and they havent got past the first round since i can remember. you have to have a defense that at least gives your offense a rest and can make a couple stops. we did some good things sunday and forced a bunch of 3rd and longs , but when the DC should have stepped in with his knowledge and abitlity to stop them on 3rd down, we didnt do it. it looked like we were guessing on 3rd down all day. i dont care how good your offense is , you are not gonna win too many games like that.

Back