Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak--State of the Texans 8/28/06

Vinny said:
Imo Dom is a slightly above average NFL running back. Easy to replace...hard worker, good guy and all...but at the end of the day....easy to replace.

There are many very talented players that come into the league every year. Many, more talented than DD...... many faster, many stronger, many shiftier, many more explosive backs.

& every year, many of those guys begin to slip into obscurity...... till you don't remember that RonDayne won the Heisman, or that Tim Biakabatuka played in the NFL at one time. Or that Maurice Clarette had first round talent.

So is he avg?? yes, but he is productive......

texan279 said:
I'll third the motion with Tru, my take exactly. Some around here act like if we lose DD we are losing Walter Payton or something.

Well....... before DD, we didn't have a running game. After DD we had a running game.

What gets me more than anything, is that we'll wait 10 years for a #1 overall QB to come around. But we can't wait one year to get DD back on the field. We can't wait till thursday, before we find out if he's going to play or not.

We've got excuses for David..... poor offensive line, poor coaching, no weapons.....

But we can't see that DD has had to deal with the same problems..... & has produced.

Our run blocking was better than our pass blocking, or nobody feared DD, they let him run the football because they knew he couldn't beat them. blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Look at our QB..... in the last four years, you can't find one category (other than sacks) that he ranks in the top ten. How 'bout DD??

Then we have a Coach who has a better track record of developing RunningBacks than he does QBs, we're foaming at the mouth about what he can do for Carr's game......... But we don't dare speculate what he can do with DDs game..

Bubby Brister, Tommy Maddox, Brian Griese, & I'm sure I'm forgetting someone....... flops. Elway, Young..... success.....

Terrell Davis, Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Rueban Droughns...

He'll turn a scrub into a 1000 yard running back....... imagine what he can do when he starts off with a 1000 yard running back.

Fans like DD and it shows all the time on this board, so I don't know why your 'ranting' about how DD is treated. You know, people are going to make comments-just because they don't agree with yours is nothing personal.

DD is injury prone and has been since his first day. He has missed all or most of every training camp. He has missed many regular season games and is probally going to be IR this year, meaning he's gone for this season at least.

IMO, TK, you're getting worked up for a good player who won't be here after Thur...

Interesting side note..........

this is my first year to play FF. We're using the Yahoo setup..... I'm looking over our draft results, and compairing the players I picked to players other players picked, and relative positions.

DD was picked on avg in round 3..... as the 14 running back drafted. ahead of runningbacks like J.Jones, R.Bush, W.Parker, W.Dunn, C.Dillon, D.Mcallister, J.Lewis, T.Bell, D.Foster, C.Taylor, A.Green, F.Taylor, C.Martin, P.Holmes, M.Anderson

which is for the most part doesn't mean much. To me, it says that most people consider a healthy DD to be more productive than all the players who were left on the board when they picked him. They also believe that he will continue to be more productive.

At the same time, David Carr was picked on avg in the 12th round. Behind some notable QBs such as P.Rivers, M.Leinart, & V.YOung. which doesn't mean much really..... but doesn't give you warm fuzzies as Houston Texans fan.

thunderkyss said:

this is my first year to play FF. We're using the Yahoo setup..... I'm looking over our draft results, and compairing the players I picked to players other players picked, and relative positions.

DD was picked on avg in round 3..... as the 14 running back drafted. ahead of runningbacks like J.Jones, R.Bush, W.Parker, W.Dunn, C.Dillon, D.Mcallister, J.Lewis, T.Bell, D.Foster, C.Taylor, A.Green, F.Taylor, C.Martin, P.Holmes, M.Anderson

which is for the most part doesn't mean much. To me, it says that most people consider a healthy DD to be more productive than all the players who were left on the board when they picked him. They also believe that he will continue to be more productive.

At the same time, David Carr was picked on avg in the 12th round. Behind some notable QBs such as P.Rivers, M.Leinart, & V.YOung. which doesn't mean much really..... but doesn't give you warm fuzzies as Houston Texans fan.

All of those people who took DD that early are gonna be upset if he goes on IR...

thunderkyss said:
To me, it says that most people consider a healthy DD to be more productive than all the players who were left on the board when they picked him. They also believe that he will continue to be more productive.

You have to realize in many leagues the scoring system makes a duel threat RB more valuable than a straight runner. For instance from my league for two different runners with the same total yards and TD's.

DD 2004--1188 yds rushing (148.5), 13 rushing TD's (78), 68 receptions (68 pts), 588 receiving yds (58.8 pts), 1 receiving TD (6 pts)--total 359.3 pts

Pure rusher--1776 yds (222 pts), 14 rushing TD's (84 pts)--total 306 pts.

The pure rusher would need an extra 9 TD's for a total of 23 TD's on top of 1776 yds to equal DD's fantasy value. I don't think there is a coach in the league who would pick DD perfectly healthy over a 1776 yd, 23 TD rusher. That's the difference between fantasy and reality.

infantrycak said:
You have to realize in many leagues the scoring system makes a duel threat RB more valuable than a straight runner. For instance from my league for two different runners with the same total yards and TD's.

DD 2004--1188 yds rushing (148.5), 13 rushing TD's (78), 68 receptions (68 pts), 588 receiving yds (58.8 pts), 1 receiving TD (6 pts)--total 359.3 pts

Pure rusher--1776 yds (222 pts), 14 rushing TD's (84 pts)--total 306 pts.

The pure rusher would need an extra 9 TD's for a total of 23 TD's on top of 1776 yds to equal DD's fantasy value. I don't think there is a coach in the league who would pick DD perfectly healthy over a 1776 yd, 23 TD rusher. That's the difference between fantasy and reality.

true enough. & I can understand if someone wants to trade us their 1776 yard rusher for DD, we'd be all over that trade. & I'd be fine with that.

The problem we have now, and the situation I was addressing, is that we have DD..... & our fans couldn't care less if he comes back or not. They believe he's just avg at best, and talent wise, that might be true. Production wise, he's meant more to this team, than any other player on the roster to date.

thunderkyss said:
true enough. & I can understand if someone wants to trade us their 1776 yard rusher for DD, we'd be all over that trade. & I'd be fine with that.

The problem we have now, and the situation I was addressing, is that we have DD..... & our fans couldn't care less if he comes back or not. They believe he's just avg at best, and talent wise, that might be true. Production wise, he's meant more to this team, than any other player on the roster to date.

It's nothing personal against DD...He was on a bad team, and IMO, he was overused, because he was the best back we had and our passing game was a joke....He would no doubt help us with his versatility, but I as far as skill level I don't see a lot of drop off between DD->Morency + Lundy...If DD could come back and be productive that would help us tremendously...It's not like people are saying he sucks, or we are better off without him...Just that we aren't going to miss him as much as we'd miss a AJ, or D-Rob, or someone like that...I did a value scale yesterday, and IMO DD is the seventh most valuable Texan when healthy...and he's hurt now, and may be hurt forever...so right now his value is zero...

thunderkyss said:

Thos people took DD because they go by the "cheat sheet."

Are you playing against guys from all over, or in your area (friends, co-workers, etc.)? Anybody who doesn't follow our team has no clue what's at stake by taking DD. I tried to tell a guy in my league about DD, and he thought I was trying to sabotage him...I was like, "Man, I'm telling you: DD is the biggest draft risk outside of Terrell Owens right now."

I am playing Yahoo, too. Here's my lineup:

QB: McNabb, McNair
RB: Tomlinson, Chris Brown
RB: Cadillac, Chris Perry
Flex (RB/WR): Reggie Bush
WR: Marvin Harrison
WR: Roy Williams, Lee Evans
TE: Cooley & Ben Watson
K: Rackers
ST/D: Panthers, Jaguars

Back