Kubiak Presser

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Putting the entire press conferences on the website is the best thing ever. It means that you can read everything that is said and not just what the paper wants to quote:

HT.com

Highlights (or lowlights)

Charles Spencer on PUP. One other player too. hmmm.

No deal with McCardell but the door is open

Mario Williams is one of the three hardest workers in the offseason

Lots of other interesting stuff in there.

2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Some good, some not so good; still seems like there is a lot of doctor speak going on.

I'd like to see that treadmill.

3. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

:um:

I don't even know where to start with this one.

4. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Try the marketing department.

5. Texans_Chick

Nah that's the NFL folks. Trying to internationalize the game. I'm all for that.

Not nearly as fond of increasing the season to 17 games and sending off the teams to wherever.

6. Mr. White

I didn't know that they even played American football in Mexico. Much less pro football.

7. Spike

Spike Veteran

I guess the news on Spencer isn't much of a surprise. However, I think the things that we are hearing are pretty good w/r/t to the big picture. Worst case scenario is that the cartilidge isn't getting blood and he is essentially done.

Am I being too optimistic to make the conclusion, based on what is being said, that the injury is NOT career threatening?

8. Texans_Chick

If the Texans are talking about a serious player injury, it is best to assume that they aren't coming back. Especially if the Chronicle and the Texans website have shiny happy progress articles about them.

And then be pleasantly surprised if they do come back.

Signed,
    Tony Boselli

9. Mr. White

It sounds like good news to me that they expect Spencer back at all this season.

I guess we'll see.

10. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

After the "Boselli Incident" (or Joppru, Mathis, etc.), Texans fans are loath to trust anything we hear regarding progress from injuries, until the player actually steps back out on the field and takes some contact.

11. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

The most interesting part to me is his admiration for Chris White. This isn't in the presser but was part of the Q&A...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3419

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=266

“There has been a player that emerged this offseason in Chris White who’s had one of the better offseasons as anyone on our team so I think he’s in that mix,” Kubiak said. “I think Chris will give them a battle. He’s going to get a lot of reps with each one of them sitting out one practice a day.”

Another interesting thing is how he thinks Abbate will be a better FB than Cory Anderson already is. It almost sounds like it's his job to lose...

With that taken place, one of the things we have chosen to do over the last month is we’re going to take the young kid (linebacker Jon Abbate) that we signed and we’re going to try to make a fullback out of him. We’ll see how that goes, but we’re going to give him some repetitions. We’re going to move Jon to fullback, and we’ve been working him in throughout this past month and catching him up. I liked how physical he was in camp, he’s a smaller linebacker, and I like his hands. He’s smart, and that’s what we look for in a fullback. We went to him and said what do you think? We think we can give you an excellent chance to help our football team. We’ll see where he stands. With Jameel (Cook) being out, going to give him an excellent chance. Jameel would be the other possibility (at fullback).”

12. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

- Spencer on the PUP. Crap.
    - They're sticking with the guys who couldn't answer the bell last year at DB instead of giving the youngsters more of a shot.
    - Still no #2 guy that represents a verifiable threat

this is getting depressing.
    :(

13. real

real Guest

Who the 'f' is Chris White ?

14. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

I wonder what the actual criteria is to qualify for the free 'international' roster spot. foreign citizen? first generation?

I think its a great idea for the free roster spot but I don't think teams should be forced to find a guy. Let it come natural.

As for a 17 game season that is just a horrible idea they are throwing around, TC. That screws up the record books and statistics. Stay at 16...its perfect as is. If anything get rid of a preseason game at a home venue and make it international...maybe the 3rd preseason game could be international. that way the foreign fans get a good product with good playing time from the best players. Having to pay full price (both in ticket and concession) for 2 preseason games has always been the NFL's biggest crime towards their season ticket base.

15. the wonger need food

How do they continue to get away with this???

Oh... because they can...

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Yet another Green Bay cast off.

Why don't we just post a guy at their dumpster and let him hand out bus tickets to Houston?

17. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

He's a CENTER!! omfg I would be so happy if we found a diamond in the rough. Flanny is too dinged up and McKinney is below average and Drew is the Matt Stephens of the Center position of the Texans.

A good QB, a good TE, and a good scheme can do a lot for a team's OL. Look at Ben Roethlisberger with the Steelers a few years back. The Steelers had huge losses across their OL and it was predicted to be a problem for them. Well that same year they made the AFC Championship ultimately culminating in a Super Bowl victory the following year. Russ Grimm whipped that OL into shape and turned lemons into lemonade. Hopefully Chris White is a byproduct of a situation similar to the Steelers.

18. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

I second this posting..

Signed,
    Dominic Davis

P.S. Lets talk about a buy-out of my contract..

19. the wonger need food

Crybaby post 2 out of 2 for you. I think we have a new troll.

Malloy likes this.
  20. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

(on possibility of a Mexican player joining the Texans) “That is true. We are working on that as we speak. We do expect to have a Spanish player in here. At this point we don’t have the name but we can have that for you by this evening.”

(on Mexican player not counting against roster) “Correct, he does not count against the roster. It’s happening around the league. Everybody gets one player.”

We already have one Spanish name on this team...

"Toro"