Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak: Owen Daniels has had a setback recovering from ACL surgery

What the link said is so true. Wes Welker tore his ACL in the last week of the season, and his practicing. Owen tore his halfway through the season, and still isn't practicing. Sucks.

This is what Kubiak said Sautrday...

(on TE Owen Daniels' status for the opening game of the regular season) "I haven't changed my mindset at all. That decision will be made down the road. All of our focus is for him to get ready for the Colts. As I said yesterday, we are going to know a lot more about Owen in the next two weeks. His rehab looks good. He's picked it up and I've been watching him every morning. I think Owen is a warrior as long as I've been around. So if anyone is going to make it to that spot, then he has an excellent chance. So we'll be smart with him."

(on TE Owen Daniels' progress in rehab) "I think what we are trying to find out right now is how he will respond to the increased level of rehab. He's doing more football stuff. We'll have a new response in the next few weeks."

And Schaub's thoughts...

(on feeling like TE Owen Daniels will be ready to go for opening day) "Yeah, no question. No question. I feel like he can be ready. That's between him and the trainers and medical staff, but from what he says, he says he's feeling good and he's just progressing in his rehab."

Link

Worth noting - I have yet to see the ACTUAL QUOTE that Kubiak gave, so I hope the above link isn't mischaracterizing what he said as a "setback."

This is what Kubiak said Sautrday...

And Schaub's thoughts...

Link

It's kind of strange that for something as major (even if it's not major) as this, there's no mention of it on HT.com, on Chron.com, or any local media outlet.

Also, all stories I've found ultimately credit it to ESPN.com, and if you search Kubiak, and Owen Daniels on their site, there's nothing to be found (at least relating to a setback).

It's kind of strange that for something as major (even if it's not major) as this, there's no mention of it on HT.com, on Chron.com, or any local media outlet.

Also, all stories I've found ultimately credit it to ESPN.com, and if you search Kubiak, and Owen Daniels on their site, there's nothing to be found (at least relating to a setback).

Yep, exactly. I'm kind of wishing I would have found the ACTUAL quote before I linked to the story here... but still newsworthy I guess.

Journalistic Integrity FAIL.

Yep, exactly. I'm kind of wishing I would have found the ACTUAL quote before I linked to the story here... but still newsworthy I guess.

Journalistic Integrity FAIL.

I do seem to recall reading something yesterday about a minor setback, but I'm thinking it came from Dainels. And the setback was a couple of weeks ago.

But then again, I'm drunk most of the time.

I do seem to recall reading something yesterday about a minor setback, but I'm thinking it came from Dainels. And the setback was a couple of weeks ago.

The only person I remember hearing a setback from was Chris Mortenson yesterday, when he was at training camp.

Cheers. <clink>

Just brought in a fine lookin' dancin' chicken and am catching up on shoulder pad day. Can't wait till they go full speed.

This is the first I've read about a setback and I *thought* I'd read *everything*.
Who's taking pictures???:fans:

Didnt they lose Gonzalez last season? It happens.

Every fan thinks its worse on his particular team.

I don't think Gonzalez is even close to the same as losing Daniels. Maybe Dallas Clark or Reggie Wayne.

This is indeed a concern. A player of viable health should not be suffering a setback this far into recovery. Considering this and the fact that it's his third ACL tear by age 27, there's only one real conclusion I'm starting to accept: Owen Daniels has bad knees, and his best days are behind him. Graham is the TE of the Texans' future.

its ok dont we have like 5 Tight ends

what really need 2 do is unleash our 3 headed Demons of runing backs on the colts and run the ball down there throat thats how we beat them last time on the legs of ron dayne

Every fan thinks its worse on his particular team.

Yup. Works the same way with refereeing.

I think we've gone the last two years with "fewer than average" injuries.

In fact wasn't one of the reasons football outsiders had us going 5.6-10.4 this year (or something close to that) due to them factoring in a higher injury impact than last year? Not defending their methodology (in fact, it's kind of ridiculous), just pointing out injuries haven't been a problem for the Texans the last couple of years (relative to the league as a whole anyway).

Guys - I think I blew it on this one.

The title of the thread should read MORTENSEN, not Kubiak. I think I just overreacted to a headline I read on Rotoworld. Mortensen said "Daniels had a setback a couple of weeks ago" on his report from Texans camp.

Apologies. I should have sat on this instead of just running out and posting it. Lesson learned.

Brisco, what about James Casey? Kubiak had some high praise for him such as the most improved player during OTA's. I remember reading how his blocking has improved as well as is route running.

I'm very interested to see if he'll step up to the plate and become a monster threat in the receiving game like he was at Rice.

The title of the thread should read MORTENSEN, not Kubiak. I think I just overreacted to a headline I read on Rotoworld. Mortensen said "Daniels had a setback a couple of weeks ago" on his report from Texans camp.

Apologies. I should have sat on this instead of just running out and posting it. Lesson learned.

Dude, it's all good. Reading anything about the Texans is good to me.

Whatever, you just pulled a John McClain. :laughjump: :jk:

Point taken. Carry on.

Chris, great job keeping us (me) informed since we can't all be there.

Thanks again.

Whatever, you just pulled a John McClain. :laughjump: :jk:

Actually he pulled the opposite of a McClain:

McClain = not telling us about something that happened
This = telling us about something that didn't happen (well, kind of sort of didn't happen)

But no sweat on this on from my perspective. Am very happy it turned out to be what it was as opposed to what it originally looked like.

DH Chris - I'd rep ya again if I could.

Here's a better link (provided by my man BigRon)

So far, it seems as though the word "setback" is Mort's word. Oy vey.

The way I interpret this statement is that it is gramatically ambiguous. He may very well be reporting a setback that was known of PRIOR to stating that Kubiak is shooting for the Colts game instead of TC (which is when Kubiak early on had stated he expected Owens to be back).

Question..... I've always thought tearing an ACL was career ending injury?

Years ago, it was but not any more. Guys get ACL injuries all the time and are able to come back from them. It's not easy to do it. The players got to work hard. But lots of guys have done it now.

Interesting.. I guess it worked for McGahee if i'm not mistaken?

McGahee tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL. Carson Palmer tore the ACL and MCL. I think Dunta's injury involved the ACL. I mean, there've been lots and lots of guys who've come back from ACL injuries over the past decade.

McGahee tore his ACL, MCL, and PCL. Carson Palmer tore the ACL and MCL. I think Dunta's injury involved the ACL. I mean, there've been lots and lots of guys who've come back from ACL injuries over the past decade.

Dunta's was the ACL and the hamstring completely detached iirc.

So, who was that one poster that was complaining about drafting two TE's in back-to-back drafts?

I complained. Still am a bit. It is a waste of a pick if one player drafted in the last two years (barring 6th/7th rounders) gets cut. Just a waste.

We dont know if OD has had a setback. Maybe, maybe not. But the team has 6 or so TEs on the roster. That is an obscene amount. Now, Casey can play some FB and LS, but that still leaves Dreeson, OD and Graham as virtually identical players. Hill is the blocking TE, but it looks like people want him cut.

I am not as angry as I was during the draft, but I still feel like th Graham pick could have been better spent. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I complained. Still am a bit. It is a waste of a pick if one player drafted in the last two years (barring 6th/7th rounders) gets cut. Just a waste.

We dont know if OD has had a setback. Maybe, maybe not. But the team has 6 or so TEs on the roster. That is an obscene amount. Now, Casey can play some FB and LS, but that still leaves Dreeson, OD and Graham as virtually identical players. Hill is the blocking TE, but it looks like people want him cut.

I am not as angry as I was during the draft, but I still feel like th Graham pick could have been better spent. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

know what you mean but Graham may actually be the air-apparent, that still makes Casey & Hill as wasted picks. This was their error not drafting Graham who is as complete if not more so than former Wisconsin alum Daniels.

I'm surprised no one picked up on this in the Chris Mortensen review of (I think) Friday's practice...

know what you mean but Graham may actually be the air-apparent, that still makes Casey & Hill as wasted picks. This was their error not drafting Graham who is as complete if not more so than former Wisconsin alum Daniels.

Oh, I am not saying Graham was a bad pick, you are right, he has potential. My issue is that they have just drafted too many TEs. And yes, that was their mistake. But it was still a mistake.

I really think the Graham pick was a little bit of insurance for this year with both OD and Dreesen coming off surgery. As well as Hill. But mostly for next year with the uncertainty about OD. He was not receptive to a top 5 contract last year. If he is healthy and has another stellar year next year, will they be able to re-sign him?

Also, it took
Daniels until his second year to be really effective, iirc., so Graham should be ready to blossom if Daniels is not available next year. Or they have solid trade bait.

That said, I was not very pleased at the pick either.

I don't think we have too many TE's with all things considered...

Casey plays a dual role on offense and is a good special teamer...I really do not think Owen is in the Texans long term plans...JMO

I think they like Dreesen, but I think they'd like a little more talent at that position than what he brings...

All that being said, the offense that they play flows a lot better with a good TE...It opens things up for everyone...I am not upset with the way they have drafted TE's at all..

Interesting.. I guess it worked for McGahee if i'm not mistaken?

Shoot - this is the third time O.D.'s gone through ACL surgery. First in HS, then again in college.

Owen Daniels placed on physically unable to perform listTight end not activated yet Aaron Wilson

July 30, 2010, 10:48 PM EST
The Houston Texans placed tight ends Owen Daniels and Anthony Hill on the active physically unable to perform list.

Daniels predicted recently that he'll be ready by the first game of the regular season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in his knee last season.

"The Doc says my ACL looks great, so I'm looking forward to being ready for Week 1," Daniels said during a fan chat on NFL.com over the summer.

The restricted free agent said he wants to sign a long-term deal with the Texans at some point.

"I would love to play for the Texans for the duration of my career," Daniels said. "It's a great city to play in, and great coaches and an owner to play for. We're very close to being very good, and I'd like to see it all the way through. Players sticking with one team for their entire careers doesn't happen that often, but I would really like to stick with the Texans."

I totally disagree.

You've got OD who was a question mark at the time of the draft. Everyone hoped he'd be back by the start of the season but this is his 3rd ACL injury. Can't count on him being there.

You've got Hill who you could look at as a wasted draft pick because he didn't make an immediate impact as a rookie and then ended up on IR so quickly. You shouldn't count him as a TE on the roster because his injury was so severe he's doubtful to be ready for the season. He'll be on PUP and possibly IR'd. I don't see him as a wasted pick... yet. He could end up being one.

You've got Dreessen who had shoulder surgery. He was probably going to be back by TC but maybe not.

So we just had Casey. And I don't think they envision Casey as a pure TE.

So, drafting GG made perfect sense. Especially with him falling to him unexpectedly and him being such a great prospect.

They even had to pick up a TE off the street to fill out the roster. You've got 4 guys that are taking snaps right now: Dreessen, Casey, GG, and Fine. There's nothing weird about that.

Back