Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak: "Carr is our guy.."

I think the benching was aimed at the rest of the team as much as at DC. Kubiak has gotten in front of the press and claimed responsibility for coaching problems - now he's declaring that any player that fails to perform to his standards will be held accountable.

I also agree with the posters who say that DC was a little too quick to blame others in the past - Kubiak sent the message "DC: you screw up and you sit." Maybe a swift kick in the a** will wake Carr up.

Aside from the fumbles Carr looked good today and I don't know that the fumbles were necessarily Carr's fault. I don't disagree with playing Sage today, Kubiak wanted to play better in our worse quarter and set an example by pulling Carr. But Carr is extremely talented and deserves to be our starter.

Did you forget he throw up a pass for grabs into triple coverage for a INT? Carr always fumbles or INT when the pressure is on! Lets be honest DC doesn't protect the ball when under pressure when the game is on the line!

he's put the blame on the O-line before and does it during games as well. But when he screws up....

You sure pulled that out of some dark place. But if you care to provide a print link to where he blamed his line or have a video of him blaming his team mates, I'm pretty sure we would all like to see them.

[QUOTE=belars44;483239]

Congratulations on screwing up a simple thing like clicking a quote button - clearly your cleverness is top notch.

Anyways, yes. You see a loss. I see improved LB play, improved CB play, marginally improved S play. D line was making pressure too. They weren't marching down the field on us, like they did against a Washington D. If you can't see that this team is flirting with being a good team.... well whatever, I don't care if you can see it.

lmao

The benching of Carr was a panic move by Kubiak. I would expect better from him. I don't believe the BS schtick about doing it to Steve Young back in the day. I have been a huge critic of Carr over the years but I don't think he deserved to be benched after the 2nd half began. The offensive line had easily their worst performance of the year. Carr has looked good when given time, he didn't get the time needed today.

Carr wasn't without fault today. Carr's biggest problem was holding onto the ball too long. That fact along with his season-long affliction of fumbilitis did not make for a good combination. I just think Kubiak went into Panic Mode and I think it was a bad move especially on Carr's first game against VY and the former Oilers. If it was to send a message to Carr, I would hope that message was sent in the offseason and preseason and wouldn't need repeating....obviously Kubiak thought it did.

On a positive side, Sage looked very fluid, in control, and capable of putting the Texans in a position to win football games. If Kubiak does decide to go with Rosenfels at some point down the road, at least we won't be totally nerfed as a team.

I am not in ANY WAY endorsing a trade of Carr, but would you be willing to take an early 2nd rounder for him? Like the Raiders, Dolphins, or Packer's 2nd round pick? I feel Carr would be an upgrade at QB for at least 8 teams (Dallas comes to mind :) )so it would be interesting if we could get anything for him if things don't work out.

*Drinks Beer* here is to hoping we don't even have to worry about that. Carr is the starter next week and barring a similar performance to this week, he should finish the game as starting QB.

Oh, BTW some of the blindly hating trolls who have been claiming VY would be a scrub QB in the NFL, finally got an upclose and personal look at VY at the helm. In just his rookie season, he already displays veteran poise, good arm, and the ability to make the big play. That scramble was legendary and Dunta bounced off him like a fly. You can say what you want about the guy, but dude wins football games. He is a winner, thru and thru. VY also impressed me with his accuracy and ease in the pocket. I sure hope we made the right choice in passing on him, but I think VY made a strong case for his selection today. He is 2-2 as a starter as well as almost beating Peyton in his first try (on the road no less). That is something Carr has not done in 9 attempts.

Go Texans

Doug From The Woodlands

Showing stability in Carr has led the Texans to a 20-51 career record.

You make it sound like we were 1-2 wins from the Superbowl. Hey news flash ..........................we suck & Qb has always been the least of our problems from year 1 to now.

Second Honeymoon said:
Benching Kubiak was a panic move by Kubiak.
Kubiak benched himself? LOL.

And if it was a panic move, then I am a fan of panic. Sage came pretty close to winning the game.

i dont know is this the right thread but why doesnt kubiak give carr 3 or 4 wr plays like he gave to sage...btw im not bothered who starts once they get the job done.. but i dont see why carr has mostly 2 te sets all the time etc

Were you on the sidelines when he said this?

hahaha...do you think he's going to come right out and say it?

"It isn't my fault...it's those lineman's fault!". He's not going to say it like that...but, he's said something along the lines of, "Protection was a bit of a question mark...".

During the games....he claps his hands after the guys screw up on the field, shouting how they need to pick up the slack... However...when he screws up? What's he do? He just walks off the field confused.

With what Sage did in there today, and what he's done during pre-season....I really question whether the line's to blame or Carr. Carr's pocket presence compared to Sage's really leans me toward putting the blame on Carr.

Kubiak said after the game that Carr will start against the Giants. The reason Carr was pulled is that Kubiak told him if he lost a fumble in the 3rd quarter, he would pull him.

I'm surprised he said that. Carr wasn't getting good backside protection from Salaam, but he has to take care of the football - no matter what. I can point to porr blocking for those sacks - but Carr's to blame for the fumbles.

Sage moved around much better than Carr - looked more comfortable in the pocket. Also, the team seemed to rally around Sage.

Hopefully this will make Carr wake up and realize his play contributes to the overall poor play on offense - as I feel like he used to think it was all the O line's fault.

i dont know is this the right thread but why doesnt kubiak give carr 3 or 4 wr plays like he gave to sage...btw im not bothered who starts once they get the job done.. but i dont see why carr has mostly 2 te sets all the time etc

That's because Sage doesn't need the extra protection. to get 4 WRs for Carr, they motion the Tailback out of the backfield....... but never throw to him.

That's because Sage doesn't need the extra protection. to get 4 WRs for Carr, they motion the Tailback out of the backfield....... but never throw to him.

hmmm its not like we have mike vick and drew bledsoe- carr is decent at dumping it off before he gets hit (not today) but i think we should try it and see how it goes

Naming Carr as the starter next week was the first move that Kubiak as made that I don't agree with. Sage earned as starter role until he blows it. Carr has had two terrible games this year, today and Dallas.

Every QB has terrible games sometimes, but the mistakes that Carr made were some of the same problems he's had since day one: holding on the ball too long, no poise in the pocket, fumbling and not reading the defense.

Every QB has terrible games sometimes, but the mistakes that Carr made were some of the same problems he's had since day one: holding on the ball too long, no poise in the pocket, fumbling and not reading the defense.

Man...I think I'm going to have to put that in my sig. Thank you!!

The fumbles happen when his hand was already in motion you can't pull the ball back in at that time.

After last week's performance by Carr, I felt he should have had a longer leash this Sunday. To bench him after a few turnovers is a bit harsh to do to your franchise QB. If Kubes no longer views Carr as a franchise QB, then Kubiak's first and second mistake were picking up the option on Carr and passing on VY in the draft....I don't blame Carr for signing the deal, I blame Kubiak and Co. for keeping him.

Carr has not been the problem this year. If anything, he has been a solution.

--St.Louis Cardinals 2006 MLB World Champions--

HAHA i knew there would be a thread like this, but in my opinion the offensive line was horrible i mean i seen carr do a 3 step drop n was still getting hit that was horrible and he got blind sided on that fumble, i mean did any actually see how Salaam was playing horrible he was getting beat almost every play even Weigert was playing badly i mean Van Bosch or howeva you spell his name had 2 sacks would of have 4 had not 2 of them been cancelled horrible play from the offensive line but still no excuse for Carr and all those damn fumbles, and throwing it to where 3 defenders were at was one of the dumbest plays i've seen...but then again if we lost this game because he did nothing but dump offs everyone here would be pretty mad so i don't know what you want from the guy , if anyone has tivo or recorded the game look at how much better the protection was for Rosenfel than for Carr you'll be suprised

Carr did suck today but Sage is not better than him. Remember, Carr is still having a good season he just needs to stop the games were he is horrible.

Btw, Wiegert was horrible today. I heard Vanden Bosh's name (the guy wiegert was suppose to be gaurding) each time Carr or Sage dropped back to pass. Carr was holding onto the ball but heck the line use to be able to block well Wiegert anyway.

Carr was trash today but Hes still the starter.

Humm didn't hear Vanden Bosh's name when Sage was in there?:hmmm:

......and by Tuesday DC will be on a jet to Oakland for a 2007 1st and 3rd round picks :redtowel:

If DC could yield a 1st and 3rd from the Raiders, I would pull the trigger on that, but I think that is a pipe dream. Carr's performance and stats this year have helped his value but he is still viewed as a 'work in progress' to this day around the NFL. Those draft picks could go a long way to fixing our problems in the secondary and OL/DL.

I already said it looked like the Oline played better when Sage was in and got told I was wrong he is just a better qb.

hmmm i'm starting to wonder are you people for Carr being benched were saying the same thing when Carr got hurt and Tony Banks won a couple of games for us? I wonder LOL benching Carr is so farfetched

If DC could yield a 1st and 3rd from the Raiders, I would pull the trigger on that, but I think that is a pipe dream. Carr's performance and stats this year have helped his value but he is still viewed as a 'work in progress' to this day around the NFL. Those draft picks could go a long way to fixing our problems in the secondary and OL/DL.

My thoughts exactly. DC needs a new start somewhere else. It would be good for both DC and for Texans. I'm old school and I rememebr Plunkett at NE. DC reminds me of him shell shocked! After being sacked so many times early in his career. See what happen to Plunkett later in his career. Texans can get a S and DL with those picks! DC is still better than what oakland has.

Aside from the fumbles Carr looked good today and I don't know that the fumbles were necessarily Carr's fault. I don't disagree with playing Sage today, Kubiak wanted to play better in our worse quarter and set an example by pulling Carr. But Carr is extremely talented and deserves to be our starter.

Is this a joke?

he's put the blame on the O-line before and does it during games as well. But when he screws up....

Okay, you are nuts. DC doesn't blame anyone for anything. Back it up with some facts. I want to see some proof of that. Of all the things you could try to blame him for, that is definitely not one of them.

Okay, you are nuts. DC doesn't blame anyone for anything. Back it up with some facts. I want to see some proof of that. Of all the things you could try to blame him for, that is definitely not one of them.

No, you're a joke! You think I'm saying he attributes the fault to the O-line every game? That's not what I said. He's done it in the past....one time of which I remember. I read it in the paper, didn't hear it on the radio nor saw his comment on T.V. To find the article would be like finding a needle in a hay stack. You kidding me? A link?

I've also never heard or read that DC places the blame on the o-line, but someone needs to get after the line because they can't seem to string together consistent protection from game to game.

This is the process. He's not going to shut the guy down after the first time benched. Carr is going to play better or sit. The fans will be heard now. Rosenfelds could not have done a better job. David Carr has little hands and no heart. He won't stand in the pocket. Vince Young busted his hand on the helmet of a defender as he threw the ball. He didn't care about the fact he might hurt his thumb. He was focused on making the throw. He has heart. Carr has limited heart and smarts. He would be the perfect 24/7 scripted QB. If there is a situation that requires "guile" he's ****ed.

Carr blows. Always has always will. It's only a matter of time before this bum is sent to the bench for good. This benefits the team greatly.

Bum? Everyone loves David Carr like everyone loves Douglas Neidermeyer. Actually I worry for David. His psyche seems like it would bruise easily.

Every since preseason Sage has showed a poise in the pocket that David just does not have. David can not sense when pressure is coming from the back side a good QB can.

Amen, Amen Amen. You forgot one other thing though he can't read the defense well. He runs plays regardless of what the defense of the other team is doing. If there is 4 people around AJ, the play is to be run to AJ and we dont change that and look for other receivers.

The preseason had so much promise but it was because the team looked so good but in reality it was because Sage looked so well. I am convinced this team will not win consistantly until david is gone retired or something. He just doesn't know how to lead. The talent is there but i think he's ruined and lacks confidence and that shows itself in so many aspects of this team.

Amen, Amen Amen. You forgot one other thing though he can't read the defense well. He runs plays regardless of what the defense of the other team is doing. If there is 4 people around AJ, the play is to be run to AJ and we dont change that and look for other receivers.

The preseason had so much promise but it was because the team looked so good but in reality it was because Sage looked so well. I am convinced this team will not win consistantly until david is gone retired or something. He just doesn't know how to lead. The talent is there but i think he's ruined and lacks confidence and that shows itself in so many aspects of this team.

I really wish people would stop using that leadership argument. Maybe you Carr haters (for lack of a better phrase) are right about his pocket presence, stairing down receivers, not seeing the whole field, etc., but that leadership stuff is straw man material, as the antireligious people would say.

Ok here is my two cents for whats its worth.

I know from my experience in managing sales teams that sometimes you have to get a person's attention, before you get drastic. I believe that this is step one in trying to get DC to come around. ie: let him know that this is for real and his head could be on the block. Maybe the guy has had a false sense of job sercurity? I am not getting on any bandwagon for or against keeping him I am just thankful that our Coach has the brass nads to make a statement like he did. I will say that sage looked a lot better and seemed to have a better grasp of the situation. Although, 1.5 quarters is hardly enough time to really give him a fair sumation. I hope for our teams sake that DC gets his head out of his butt and plays like he was picked to, and our coach will not hesitate in switching QBs in a heartbeat if DC starts screwing up.

Ok here is my two cents for whats its worth.

I know from my experience in managing sales teams that sometimes you have to get a person's attention, before you get drastic. I believe that this is step one in trying to get DC to come around. ie: let him know that this is for real and his head could be on the block. Maybe the guy has had a false sense of job sercurity? I am not getting on any bandwagon for or against keeping him I am just thankful that our Coach has the brass nads to make a statement like he did. I will say that sage looked a lot better and seemed to have a better grasp of the situation. Although, 1.5 quarters is hardly enough time to really give him a fair sumation. I hope for our teams sake that DC gets his head out of his butt and plays like he was picked to.

As a sales manager as well, this has been my take for years on our QB situation. We will certainly see what we have in Carr next week.

I really wish people would stop using that leadership argument. Maybe you Carr haters (for lack of a better phrase) are right about his pocket presence, stairing down receivers, not seeing the whole field, etc., but that leadership stuff is straw man material, as the antireligious people would say.

For staters i'm not an anti carr person, I am a pro texan person. But lets set that aside. The QB must lead. Must be able to take charge. He just doesn't do that. A QB that is a leader is a winning QB. Look at lets say the colts teams that went though a major personal change that has affected their team, But Manning is a leader and has lead them to an undefeated system. Talent and leadership are both required in the NFL.
And the same can be argued in opposite about the steelers this year. Big Ben hasn't been all that big and guess what they have the same record as we do and they won the superbowl. in what January.

So yes the QB needs to be a leader. David has not been a leader consistantly.

The bottom line here is we don't know how to win yet. We hear it all week long if we really make an effort to keep up with the team.

I don't think he knows what he has to do yet to win consistently. I agree that this one's on him. I also agree with Kubes' call to pull him. It's part of the learning process.

Rosenfels made a good showing, but I didn't think his throws were all that pretty. I think AJ had a whole lot to do with thosee passes being complete. The Titans playing zone in the 2nd half didn't hurt him either.

The OL's still got problems. Otherwise, I like what I saw from the rest of the team. The defense keeps improving. We've finally got a RB now.

Look at lets say the colts teams that went though a major personal change that has affected their team, But Manning is a leader and has lead them to an undefeated system.

They still have Harrison, Wayne, Stokely, Clark, and a great offensive line. Aside from losing Edgerrin (who they replaced with a highly recruited running back), what was the major personnel change?

Carr can't be an effective leader, until he stops making mistakes.... Mistakes that lead directly to points.

Back