Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

kastofsna's Latest Mock

kastofsna

Hall of Fame
1. Oakland - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech - No-brainer. Best player in the draft. I can't see how he won't go #1.
2. Detroit - JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU - It's evident that Russell is ahead of Quinn on a lot of draft boards right now. But on Detroit's? Hard to say. We'll see.
3. Cleveland - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame - The hometown kid. Cleveland can go a lot of ways with this pick, but ya can't pass on a franchise QB.
4. Tampa Bay - Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin - Very simple pick, he's the best player and the Bucs' biggest need is LT.
5. Arizona - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson - One of the worst pass rushes in the league gets a nice little boost.
6. Washington - Alan Branch, DT, Michigan - Branch is a man-child. Completely takes over the game when he's in there.
7. Minnesota - Ted Ginn, Jr, WR, Ohio State - They need a WR, they go after the best one after Johnson.
8. Houston - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma - Quite a steal here for the Texans. If Russell doesn't enter, could be a different story.
9. Miami - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville - You don't pass on franchise QB's; they don't come around often, especially if you're Miami.
10. Atlanta - Reggie Nelson, S, Florida - Ballhawk and playmaker for a soft Atlanta secondary.
11. San Francisco - LaRon Landry, S, LSU - Great player, great leader, great instinct for the ball. The Niners need someone like Landry.
12. Buffalo - Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh - Nate Clements looks to be gone, so this will be a nice replacement.
13. St Louis - Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas - Murderer Leonard Little is staying, but there's a combined 1.5 sacks from the other DE's on the roster. Anderson is a beast. Good value pick.
14. Carolina - Patrick Willis, LB, Ole Miss - Not their most pressing need with Dan Morgan's recent clearance to play, but they can't go wrong with Willis.
15. Pittsburgh - Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona - One of the Steelers' downfalls this year was in the secondary, and Cason is a true shutdown corner. Interesting to see how the team goes post-Cowher
16. Green Bay - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal - Ahman Green won't be around forever. Lynch fits the offense and will provide an immediate spark and is always a homerun threat.
17. Jacksonville - Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State - Extremely inconsistent, the Jags need a good leader on the defense to help maintain discipline and also make plays. Jack Del Rio sees a lot of himself in Posluszny, I bet.
18. Cincinnati - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio State - The Bengals haven't had a good DT in a while, and it's about time they address that.
19. Tennessee - Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina - The Titans sport the worst defense in the league, but they don't have much of a real dangerous threat at WR, either. Good value.
20. New York Giants - Amobi Akoye, DT, Louisville - Solid front 4, but they could use more help on the interior.
21. Denver - Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska - All those ex-Browns are playing fine, but they aren't going to scare anyone. Carriker is a freak and could really REALLY do some damage if he's not given a watchful eye.
22. Dallas - Jared Gaither, T, Maryland - Gaither, whilst not the most technically sound, has amazing measurables and could see himself drafted much higher on draft day than his play truly dictates. Still, if he develops fully, watch out. Premium LT.
23. Kansas City - Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC - The Chiefs have lacked a playmaker at WR for a while despite Trent Green's great success, mostly due to the running game and Tony Gonzalez. It'll be nice to have SEVERAL options.
24. New England - Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State - The Pat Hill ties are obvious, and the Patriots will need a CB with Asante Samuel hitting the market.
25. New York Jets - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan - Good value pick, and the Jets are pretty green overall and just not that good at CB.
26. New Orleans - DeMarcus Tyler, DT, NC State - Despite the great season for the resurgent Saints, they still lack good interior play on defense. Tyler is one of 4 1st rounders for the Wolfpack's front 4 the last two seasons.
27. Philadelphia - Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU - Reggie Brown and Donte Stallworth are nice, but neither are big guys that move the chains and can pick up big YAC with their physicallity alone. Bowe has a Michael Clayton-feel to him.
28. New England - Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee - All those Florida receivers have somehow performed pretty damn well, although that's mostly due to Tom Brady. They need a real playmaker and gamebreaker, not just someone to move the chains.
29. Indianapolis - HB Blades, LB, Pittsburgh - Pretty much a perfect fit for the Mike LB in Tony Dungy's defense.
30. Baltimore - Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State - It'd be a crime if Smith doesn't make it in the first round somehow. This seems as logical of a spot as any.
31. Chicago - Jon Beason, LB, Miami (FL) - Lance Briggs could be gone. If he is, Beason fits the mold perfectly, athletically speaking.
32. San Diego - Michael Griffin, S, Texas - Not great safety play from the Chargers this year, not that it's really mattered.

hard to argue with team needs or players rankings in the order you have them. things will certainly change, underclassman declaration Jan 15th. BCS Championship game, College All-Star games, combine, College Pro-days and personel interviews/workouts.

you presented a well thought out starting point, the best I've seen so far, nice mock
:)

rep your way

Sign Me up! Is he comming out or NOT?
adrian-peterson-mtsu-3.jpg

I'm as big a Longhorn homer as anyone but I just don't get mocks that have Aaron Ross or Michael Griffin in the first round. Just like I don't understand Ross winning the Thorpe award. Am I missing something? Were these great athletes playing in a bad scheme?

Why Adrian Peterson? We already have Ron Dayne, Chris Taylor, and now Dom Davis/Williams is coming back. And do you really think we need another runningback? And Adrian Peterson is injury prone. Behind our offensive line, he will last only few weeks and get a season ending injury. Unless he split carries with 4 different guys.

Here's an interesting draft board:

Oakland-Russell (Peter King says this will be the pick)
Detroit- Quinn (No brainer)
Cleveland- Peterson (No brainer)

The conventional wisdom says Tampa needs Joe Thomas, he's a top notch talent in a need area. Arizona doesn't need Calvin Johnson, they've already got the best WR corps in football. His slide would end with the Redskins. Tampa could take CJ too, but they've gotta go line to get a running game.

Why Adrian Peterson? We already have Ron Dayne, Chris Taylor, and now Dom Davis/Williams is coming back. And do you really think we need another runningback? And Adrian Peterson is injury prone. Behind our offensive line, he will last only few weeks and get a season ending injury. Unless he split carries with 4 different guys.

This was Ron Dayne's 7th year in the league. He had the best 4 game stretch of his career, but he would have done something the previous 6 years to prove he's a starting NFL back. He's not. Chris Taylor had a good game against a bad Browns team. If he's the starter going into the season, I won't be very confident in our running game. Do we know Domanick Williams is coming back for sure? He's just come off a season in which he practiced once in training camp. Even when he was on the field in 04 and 05 he always seemed to be hurt. Adrian Peterson is better than all 3 guys. The collar-bone injury this season just seemed to be a freak thing for me. He dived into the end zone and he got hurt. Had he hurt his leg again, then I would have been worried, but he didn't. If we get Peterson, I'll be jumping for joy. Taylor, Dayne, and Williams aren't the answer. Neither is Lundy or Gado. I don't want to have to go through another musical chairs of running backs next season.

Here's an interesting draft board:

Oakland-Russell (Peter King says this will be the pick)
Detroit- Quinn (No brainer)
Cleveland- Peterson (No brainer)

The conventional wisdom says Tampa needs Joe Thomas, he's a top notch talent in a need area. Arizona doesn't need Calvin Johnson, they've already got the best WR corps in football. His slide would end with the Redskins. Tampa could take CJ too, but they've gotta go line to get a running game.
the bucs would never pass on johnson.

I hope people quit saying we dont have running back problems. DWilliams (Knee is bone to bone - that is not good), Dayne (is a bum), Taylor (Who?), and Gado (again - who?) are not an answer. If you want back ups, we have plenty. We need a back that will not just be serviceable. We need people who will go out and win games. If Adrian Peterson is there at 8, we have to jump on it. I hope we can some how draft one of the longhorns (Ross or Griffin) in the 2nd round. In fact trading Carr for a second rounder and drafting them both would be great. We will always be able to pick up a veteran some where.

As much as I want a FS...Reggie Nelson more specifically....

I don't see how we can pass on Peterson if he falls to us....

Great mock Kasta, all the picks make some degree of sense and all have 1st round potential.

I just don't see Kubiak being sooooo impressed w/ Peterson that he'll go against his tendancies and pick him. If he does fall to us I bet we find a partner to trade down with and pick up a 2nd or 3rd...I hope.

But I get why you did it BPA and all. And you shed a little light on what I should do w/ my Charger pick cuz I had NO clue!!!

I think Peterson could be the next LT or LJ. If he falls to 8, we HAVE to take him. The OL at Oklahoma this year (and, frankly, last year) was horrible. Good news is that his collarbone injury kept him from getting totally beaten up by Stoops running him 35+ times per game. But I don't think there's a prayer that he's available at 8 -

the bucs would never pass on johnson.

So Johnson and Thomas go 4-5 in that scenario. Adams is still on the board for the Redskins. Minny probably takes a receiver. No idea who Houston takes. I don't see Tennessee passing on Jarrett for Rice. I see Chow and Fisher trusting their guy who makes a nice match for Young, and passing on a sophomore from a Steve Spurrier system. The Titans may favor a more consistent and physical guy than Jarrett (Bennett's problem too). Rice is consistent, is he physical?

As much as I would love to see AP fall into our laps, Cleveland has no running game and will definately snatch a RB with there 1st pick. I bet a cold Dr. Pepper against a Root Beer float on it...

A few have said Davis will never take a QB with the 1st pick. Well during Kubiak's coaching tenure in Denver they did not take a RB with the #1 pick.

Well, with Troy Smith, Jamarcus Russell, Alan Branch, Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Brady Quinn (among others) being in this draft, there is a chance that we could get Calvin Johnson or Jamarcus Russell. Not every team ahead of us needs a stud QB or WR, plus, Vick's future in Atlanta is not certain right now.

Also, you can't forget that Adrian Peterson (RB) from Oklahoma, Glenn Dorsey (DT) from LSU, and Gaines Adams (DE) from Clemson. Those three, plus the ones Trae mentioned, are the current list to choose from for the Texans because since we're #8 in the draft, at least two of them will be left at the eighth spot. And if anybody is drafted higher than those guys, the Texans have a chance to make a steal at the draft.

I actually expect Russel, Smith, and Quinn to be drafted in the top five (hope Russell or Smith don't). Russell to the Raiders, Smith to the Browns, and Quinn to Tampa Bay. Anything else is a toss-up. I think the Texans are in a great position for a team that finished 6-10 last season when it comes to next season.

Those are my two cents.

Very nice. Better than any others I've seen out there currently. You guys see Jim Brown... I see Kajana Carter. Hope You're right.

Twice he's said you can't pass on a franchise QB....... once before our pick, and once again right after our pick. For some reason, the Texans are the only team in the league that can pass on a franchise QB.

& I say again. Detroit & Cleveland will both pass on QBs. They are tired of losing.

I just don't see Kubiak being sooooo impressed w/ Peterson that he'll go against his tendancies and pick him.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of hearing this same statement over and over.

What exactly are Kubiak's tendancies? Who cares what Denver did? Was Kubiak the one choosing the draft picks? Was he the GM or Head Coach? NO, he was not...he was simply the Offensive Coordinator calling the game w/ the players that he was given. Those are NOT his tendancies.

The only "tendancies" that we have to judge Kubiak on are last year's draft. He DID try to trade back into the 1st round to take RB Deangelo Williams. If this indicates anything, it shows that he will either draft defense or RB in the 1st round and take Olineman in later rounds.

I'm as big a Longhorn homer as anyone but I just don't get mocks that have Aaron Ross or Michael Griffin in the first round. Just like I don't understand Ross winning the Thorpe award. Am I missing something? Were these great athletes playing in a bad scheme?

My opinion is yes. There's a lot of talk on Austin sports radio today about a difference in philosophy between Co-DC's Chizik and Akina.

Chizik was obsessed with stopping the run at all costs while Akina wanted them to go into coverage.

The DB's got caught in the crossfire. They should help themselves out in the combine.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of hearing this same statement over and over.

What exactly are Kubiak's tendancies? Who cares what Denver did? Was Kubiak the one choosing the draft picks? Was he the GM or Head Coach? NO, he was not...he was simply the Offensive Coordinator calling the game w/ the players that he was given. Those are NOT his tendancies.

The only "tendancies" that we have to judge Kubiak on are last year's draft. He DID try to trade back into the 1st round to take RB Deangelo Williams. If this indicates anything, it shows that he will either draft defense or RB in the 1st round and take Olineman in later rounds.

Kubiak wasn't making the draft decisions in Denver, but I'm not sure Rick Smith wants to throw top ten cash at a rookie RB. I'm not sure there's been any more success recently in drafting guys in the top 10 than late in the 1st or the 2nd. With the exception of SD and SF in 2006, most top rushing attacks were two-or three headed beasts.

Top 8 rushing offenses in 2006-
ATL- Vick/Dunn/Norwood
SD- Tomlinson (Turner contributed 500 yards)
J-Ville- Garrard/Jones-Drew/Taylor
Washington- Betts/Portis
Tennessee- VY/Henry
SF- Gore/Gore/Gore
Giants- Barber/Jacobs
Denver- T. Bell/M. Bell

I think that makes a pretty strong case for a diversified rushing attack, and for adding a complementary back (a burner) to go with our solid power guy, Dayne. If a complementary back is good, maybe AP or Lynch would be gooder. The way things are going in the NFL these days, the safer, more effective, and cost effective bet seems to be having 2 or 3 solid runners that offer different looks. The premium is on QB play these days.

But Kubiak has experienced better production with less attitude from scrubs that he picked up on the second day than with the first day guys they drafted.

If he knows he can get that production out of second day guys, but knows how tough it is to find playmakers in the secondary, why would he spend that high of a pick on a running back, and not a DB?? or a DT??

But Kubiak has experienced better production with less attitude from scrubs that he picked up on the second day than with the first day guys they drafted.

If he knows he can get that production out of second day guys, but knows how tough it is to find playmakers in the secondary, why would he spend that high of a pick on a running back, and not a DB?? or a DT??

I understand your point of view and don't necessarily disagree...I just know that Kubiak DID try to get a 1st round RB last year. True, it wasn't a top 10 pick, but the 1st round nonetheless.

I know you're referring to Clinton Portis (who I believe Denver took in the 1st) as having the attitude. I agree but he IS a great RB. Also I think Tatum Bell was a 3rd rd pick right?...still a 1st day pick. I wouldn't necessarily say that he got "better" production from scrubs; equal productivity maybe, but not better. Portis was not too shabby in Denver.

BTW, I would be happy if we could get a great DT or FS, but will they still be available or merit our #8 pick? I think DT Branch will be gone by our pick...and maybe DE Gaines Adams as well. Even if Adams is available, I don't think I would take him....a DE in the top 10 two yrs in a row? I just don't know.

Landry or Nelson should be on the board at #8, but should we take them that high? While they are clearly better than what we have now, that is not saying much. If we want either one of these players it would be my preference to trade down and still get one. Of course that is easier said than done.

Don't forget, until the week before the draft we were going to draft a running back with the first pick.

If Peterson or Lynch are available at 8, I think we will pick them. Kubiak has said that we need playmakers, and I think we are going to pick one.

Well ESPN's Ed Cunningham durring a "top five Heisman canidates" segment just stated on the recap show..." I talked to coach (Stoops) before the game....(Bob Stoops) He said, do not be surprised if Adrian Peterson comes back for his senior season. "

And at the time of this almost move...we had DD/DW and what else on the roster ? This draft is loaded with running backs. All shapes and sizes...all day long. I promise. Why plug one hole when you can plug two ?

Well ESPN's Ed Cunningham durring a "top five Heisman canidates" segment just stated on the recap show..." I talked to coach (Stoops) before the game....(Bob Stoops) He said, do not be surprised if Adrian Peterson comes back for his senior season. "

I could see that, but that is also the same thing that Mack Brown said last yr about VY. Of course AP didn't win a championship...maybe he wants to return to try to win one; or the Heisman.

I understand your point of view and don't necessarily disagree...I just know that Kubiak DID try to get a 1st round RB last year. True, it wasn't a top 10 pick, but the 1st round nonetheless.

I know you're referring to Clinton Portis (who I believe Denver took in the 1st) as having the attitude. I agree but he IS a great RB. Also I think Tatum Bell was a 3rd rd pick right?...still a 1st day pick. I wouldn't necessarily say that he got "better" production from scrubs; equal productivity maybe, but not better. Portis was not too shabby in Denver.

BTW, I would be happy if we could get a great DT or FS, but will they still be available or merit our #8 pick? I think DT Branch will be gone by our pick...and maybe DE Gaines Adams as well. Even if Adams is available, I don't think I would take him....a DE in the top 10 two yrs in a row? I just don't know.

Landry or Nelson should be on the board at #8, but should we take them that high? While they are clearly better than what we have now, that is not saying much. If we want either one of these players it would be my preference to trade down and still get one. Of course that is easier said than done.

I think both Tatum & Portis were second round picks.

& ImHO, getting Reggie Bush, or a first round running back had more to do with making David successful(Eli w/Tiki last year, Rivers with LT this year) than with a change of philosophy.

If the goal is to make David work, then I can see(and actually hope) we get AD. If the goal is to build the best team possible.... I think we should pass.

I understand you..... and many others don't like the running backs we have on our roster..... but we've got a bunch. & we'll be in year two of the Denver ZBS... Last year, we were able to produce with our backs against "bad" teams....... with bad line play. I expect the line play to get better, opening bigger holes..... plus the cutback lane (which has not been there) & our backs will do fine against avg teams, and pretty good teams.

I think we should continue to work inside out.

If you want the inside skinny hit me up...but yeah Chisik played the run and put his secondary on the back burner...pun intended...Aaron shouldn't have won the Thorpe though I must admit I was surprised too...Griffin was forced to play the run and the linebackers were expected to keep up with receivers either in a zone or man to man...I think this was great against Rice and others but you can't do that with big programs and KState schemed the hell out of Chisik's defense

Kastofsna, I think you need to do a secondary draft to go along with this one. Kubiak and Smith are both firm believers in building a team thru the draft. Also Smith has mentioned that in previous years the spot we are at (#8) has a tendecy for movement. With that take into account point value wise the # 15, # 16 spots are comprable for a trade out with their 2nd rd picks also. The teams here are Pitt, and G.B. So since you are a self confirmed Draft Guru, for fun how would you do the 1st Rd with a trade down by the Texans to say #16 G.B. then the subsequent Texan picks at #39, and #48. Interested in your view at this scenario.:shades:

kastofsana......

If the Texans were picking #1 overall... or #2 overall.... would you have given us Jamarcus or Quinn??

Back