Kareem OT penalty question

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by awc713, Sep 30, 2013.

1. awc713

awc713 Rookie

Hey guys,

I've been watching the Tejanos since '02, and I don't think I've seen a worse penalty against the Texans (both because of timing, and ruling) than the Kareem personal foul late in OT, where he was penalized for tackling the WR.

Can someone give me any insight as to why this was a flag? He tackled the guy...last time I checked, this is football. Should he have let the WR kept going?

2. NCTexan

NCTexan Hall of Fame

The way it was explained is that since he thrust his hips out to lift the guy off the ground it was unnecessary roughness.

3. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I believe it is against the rules to body slam a player in Powder Puff football.

4. cdollaz

cdollaz All Pro

Maybe it was because he kinda picked him up and slammed him, but I was a bit puzzled as well. Perhaps they changed the rule because I used to see that type of tackle quite frequently. If they did change it, then Kareem should have known it. If not, then that was a puss call.

5. 2012Champs

2012Champs Hall of Fame

I think the whistle blew before the body slam

6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

The penalty was with the tackle itself, not whether it was after the whistle or not.

The rules state that you cannot lift a player to where his feet are off the ground while making a tackle.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Bogus penalty, but moot if there wasn't a pick 6 thrown.

*Yes, I sound like a broken record by saying this over and over*

8. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What really upset me was that Kj was by himself trying to tackle that guy for a long time. Where was his support? Texans should have been flying to the ball.

HouTx11 likes this.

9. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I can see myself hating the NFL in ten years. I wish Mel Blount and Night Train Lane could pay a back alley visit to Goodell.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think so too ... the guy's forward momentum had been stopped and the whistle began at about the same time as the upward motion of the tackle .... the impact was post whistle.

11. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

I saw seahawks do the same to AJ and Tate earlier in the game the EXACT same way. BULL ISHT penalty IMHO.

12. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

It gets worse every year.

I'm not blaming KJ at all, in fact I'm praising him. He understands every yard counts in this situation and is playing with a mean streak and aggressiveness you like to see in any defensive player.

13. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Well if you're going to play that game, then the pick 6 wouldn't have happened if Ben Tate didn't fumble the ball, if KJ just pushed Baldwin out of bounds, if the defense stopped Wilson on that 4th down play.

Lots of guys screwed up to lose this game, Schaub just made the most visible one (and most boneheaded one).

Back to the OP, dumb a** call. You HAVE to consider the situation, because that call basically handed them the win. Most of my Seahawks friends admit they were gifted this win, that call was one of those gifts.

KJ should have asked the ref, "So why don't you show me how to tackle this bigger dude without giving up extra yards!"

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

That cost them the game

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Body slamming impacts the head and spine and those are now off the target list. We went through this years ago when the horse collar became a penalty. It matters little if fans think it is a penalty or not. Like the red light camera when that came out; don't do the crime and there will be no "time". KJ is a dumb ass for doing it just like last game's penalty on him and looks ever dumb assier in his after game comments.

I enjoy watching good solid tackles but not crapola like KJ. Why not some Brazilian choke holds and ankle bars? A good finger poke in the eye? Hey, it's football right?
    MS not only one making DA plays.

16. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I saw Richie Incognito do much worse to Brian Cushing last year after Cushing intercepted the ball. He tried to pile drive him on his head right in front of the ref. No call. It hurt Cushing's shoulder pretty bad.

17. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

That's easy. You go low to the knees. :stirpot:

18. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Exactly. There would have been no penalty, no fine, the receiver just would have been out for the season.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

A no call on another player in another game has nothing to do with KJ. As others have said, we should be asking where his help was.

Also if KJ is strong enough to pick the dude up and slam why could he not offer a good tackle to bring him down or at least hold him?

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

After the pick six, the offense had the ball with almost 3 minutes on the clock.
    • We failed to score: Offense screwed the pooch.....
    • Seattle took a knee with 20 seconds to go, defense didn't really do anything
    • Seattle called tails, it was heads. We got the ball first
    • We pick up 20 yards, drive stalled, we punt: Offense screwed the pooch
    • Seattle starts on their 20, pick up 27 yards, punt: Good job defense
    • We get the ball at our 13, drive to the 40, stall, punt: Offense screwed the pooch. A field goal would have won it.
    • Lechler puts the ball in the endzone. Tate returns it to the 31: ST screwed the pooch
    • Seattle tacks on another 40 yards, 15 by way of penalty;They kick a field goal: Offense wasn't on the field, we lost the game.

The pick 6 didn't help us. The offense didn't help us from that point on. As a team, we lost that game.

It doesn't make sense to blame one side or the other. When the chips are down & you're being called to do your part, you either do it or you don't. The offense was outstanding for a good portion of the game, but they reached their limit, done all they could do somewhere in the 4th qtr. The defense played outstanding for a good portion of the game, but reached their limit at the end of OT.

Are we expecting too much of the defense? Yes, if you expected the Texans to win that game after the pick 6, because the offense had nothing.