Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kareem OT penalty question

awc713

Noob
Hey guys,

I've been watching the Tejanos since '02, and I don't think I've seen a worse penalty against the Texans (both because of timing, and ruling) than the Kareem personal foul late in OT, where he was penalized for tackling the WR.

Can someone give me any insight as to why this was a flag? He tackled the guy...last time I checked, this is football. Should he have let the WR kept going?

The way it was explained is that since he thrust his hips out to lift the guy off the ground it was unnecessary roughness.

Maybe it was because he kinda picked him up and slammed him, but I was a bit puzzled as well. Perhaps they changed the rule because I used to see that type of tackle quite frequently. If they did change it, then Kareem should have known it. If not, then that was a puss call.

I think the whistle blew before the body slam

The penalty was with the tackle itself, not whether it was after the whistle or not.

The rules state that you cannot lift a player to where his feet are off the ground while making a tackle.

Bogus penalty, but moot if there wasn't a pick 6 thrown.

*Yes, I sound like a broken record by saying this over and over*

What really upset me was that Kj was by himself trying to tackle that guy for a long time. Where was his support? Texans should have been flying to the ball.

I believe it is against the rules to body slam a player in Powder Puff football.

It gets worse every year.

I'm not blaming KJ at all, in fact I'm praising him. He understands every yard counts in this situation and is playing with a mean streak and aggressiveness you like to see in any defensive player.

Bogus penalty, but moot if there wasn't a pick 6 thrown.

*Yes, I sound like a broken record by saying this over and over*

Well if you're going to play that game, then the pick 6 wouldn't have happened if Ben Tate didn't fumble the ball, if KJ just pushed Baldwin out of bounds, if the defense stopped Wilson on that 4th down play.

Lots of guys screwed up to lose this game, Schaub just made the most visible one (and most boneheaded one).

Back to the OP, dumb a** call. You HAVE to consider the situation, because that call basically handed them the win. Most of my Seahawks friends admit they were gifted this win, that call was one of those gifts.

KJ should have asked the ref, "So why don't you show me how to tackle this bigger dude without giving up extra yards!"

Well if you're going to play that game, then the pick 6 wouldn't have happened if Ben Tate didn't fumble the ball, if KJ just pushed Baldwin out of bounds, if the defense stopped Wilson on that 4th down play.

Lots of guys screwed up to lose this game, Schaub just made the most visible one (and most boneheaded one).

Back to the OP, dumb a** call. You HAVE to consider the situation, because that call basically handed them the win. Most of my Seahawks friends admit they were gifted this win, that call was one of those gifts.

KJ should have asked the ref, "So why don't you show me how to tackle this bigger dude without giving up extra yards!"

That cost them the game

Body slamming impacts the head and spine and those are now off the target list. We went through this years ago when the horse collar became a penalty. It matters little if fans think it is a penalty or not. Like the red light camera when that came out; don't do the crime and there will be no "time". KJ is a dumb ass for doing it just like last game's penalty on him and looks ever dumb assier in his after game comments.

I enjoy watching good solid tackles but not crapola like KJ. Why not some Brazilian choke holds and ankle bars? A good finger poke in the eye? Hey, it's football right?
MS not only one making DA plays.

I saw Richie Incognito do much worse to Brian Cushing last year after Cushing intercepted the ball. He tried to pile drive him on his head right in front of the ref. No call. It hurt Cushing's shoulder pretty bad.

I saw Richie Incognito do much worse to Brian Cushing last year after Cushing intercepted the ball. He tried to pile drive him on his head right in front of the ref. No call. It hurt Cushing's shoulder pretty bad.
A no call on another player in another game has nothing to do with KJ. As others have said, we should be asking where his help was.

Also if KJ is strong enough to pick the dude up and slam why could he not offer a good tackle to bring him down or at least hold him?

That cost them the game

After the pick six, the offense had the ball with almost 3 minutes on the clock.
  • We failed to score: Offense screwed the pooch.....
  • Seattle took a knee with 20 seconds to go, defense didn't really do anything
  • Seattle called tails, it was heads. We got the ball first
  • We pick up 20 yards, drive stalled, we punt: Offense screwed the pooch
  • Seattle starts on their 20, pick up 27 yards, punt: Good job defense
  • We get the ball at our 13, drive to the 40, stall, punt: Offense screwed the pooch. A field goal would have won it.
  • Lechler puts the ball in the endzone. Tate returns it to the 31: ST screwed the pooch
  • Seattle tacks on another 40 yards, 15 by way of penalty;They kick a field goal: Offense wasn't on the field, we lost the game.

The pick 6 didn't help us. The offense didn't help us from that point on. As a team, we lost that game.

It doesn't make sense to blame one side or the other. When the chips are down & you're being called to do your part, you either do it or you don't. The offense was outstanding for a good portion of the game, but they reached their limit, done all they could do somewhere in the 4th qtr. The defense played outstanding for a good portion of the game, but reached their limit at the end of OT.

Are we expecting too much of the defense? Yes, if you expected the Texans to win that game after the pick 6, because the offense had nothing.

Since we're talking penalties, how about the helmet to helmet on Schaub on our last drive that was missed and would've kept the drive alive...oh well.

Seriously, when you suplex a guy to the ground after the whistle goes, and have stopped his forward progress, what the hell did he expect? It was a selfish as hell play.

Seriously, when you suplex a guy to the ground after the whistle goes, and have stopped his forward progress, what the hell did he expect? It was a selfish as hell play.
Do you know, for a fact, that the whistle had blown? Why was the WR still fighting to get away and get more yards? Neither one of them heard the whistle?

I'm not too butt hurt with this penalty. The timing couldn't have been worse, but it's no where near as boneheaded as taunting or illegal formations(those drive me nucking futs) or other dead ball fouls. Look at how those kinds of penalties helped cost us a game last week.

I agree with others that are wondering where his help was.

Do you know, for a fact, that the whistle had blown? Why was the WR still fighting to get away and get more yards? Neither one of them heard the whistle?

I'm not too butt hurt with this penalty. The timing couldn't have been worse, but it's no where near as boneheaded as taunting or illegal formations(those drive me nucking futs) or other dead ball fouls. Look at how those kinds of penalties helped cost us a game last week.

I agree with others that are wondering where his help was.

I just watched it again at work (I work for an all sports network, so I kinda have the advantage here) and the whistle clearly goes, and he does it anyways. It was a stupid stupid selfish decision. Wasnt the reason they lost, but it didn't help.

I just watched it again at work (I work for an all sports network, so I kinda have the advantage here) and the whistle clearly goes, and he does it anyways. It was a stupid stupid selfish decision. Wasnt the reason they lost, but it didn't help.

I only have the Fox broadcast that was aired locally, but I've watched that play several times listening for the whistle. There's no whistle that the viewers at home can hear. Regardless, I still wish Goodell would get tackled like that.

I only have the Fox broadcast that was aired locally, but I've watched that play several times listening for the whistle. There's no whistle that the viewers at home can hear. Regardless, I still wish Goodell would get tackled like that.

I'm pretty neutral here...it was a fkn stupid play by Jackson. Completely needless. The play was over, move on, stop 'em and pray Schaub wakes up.

Didn't cush did a double leg takedown on Lynch, effectively lifting him up from the ground and slamming/spearing him to the ground on that fumble tackle? Worthy of penalty?

Even with Schaub's pick 6 this topic concerning KJ's penalty doesn't happen if the helmet to helmet hit on Schaub was flagged (and it should've been).

Didn't cush did a double leg takedown on Lynch, effectively lifting him up from the ground and slamming/spearing him to the ground on that fumble tackle? Worthy of penalty?
Cush was making a textbook tackle. He hit, wrapped up and finished the play. All of the motion was in the context of a tackle. Nothing to see here but a perfectly executed tackle.

A Dolphins defender just suplexed Sproles and wasn't called for a penalty. Picked him up and slammed him.

The nfl becomes more and more like the NBA, as it continues to pile on more judgment calls or the officials. Not good!... I mean, not good for the NFL... The game winning drive was built around two roughness penalties- both new rules and both questionable and demanding split second judgment by the refs.

Since we're talking penalties, how about the helmet to helmet on Schaub on our last drive that was missed and would've kept the drive alive...oh well.

EXACTLY! Schaub was actually struck to the head twice on that last drive before OT. I was screaming at my TV for it to be called, but I guess the refs didn't hear me.

Schaub_hit2.png

This resulted in a sack and 10 yard loss. Texans were also penalized for illegal formation on this play, so not sure if the penalties would have been offsetting or not? At worse, should have been 1st & 10 at the SEA 49 again, instead of 2nd & 20 at HOU 41. Hell, even Schaub's helmet was knocked off on this hit. You would have thought that would signal a hit to the head to the refs!?

schaub_hit1.png

This one was worse than the first one. Would have been 1st down at the Seattle 28. So yes, already in field goal position.

EXACTLY! Schaub was actually struck to the head twice on that last drive before OT. I was screaming at my TV for it to be called, but I guess the refs didn't hear me.

I really do feel sorry for the guy. No doubt about it he took a beating yesterday. But he threw two interceptions yesterday & only one of them was under duress.

These hits look like they could be used to say he suffered a concussion. Hold him out of the game next week. "Bench" him without benching him, say he's "hurt" without him being "hurt"

:kitten:

This resulted in a sack and 10 yard loss. Texans were also penalized for illegal formation on this play, so not sure if the penalties would have been offsetting or not? At worse, should have been 1st & 10 at the SEA 49 again, instead of 2nd & 20 at HOU 41. Hell, even Schaub's helmet was knocked off on this hit. You would have thought that would signal a hit to the head to the refs!?

This one was worse than the first one. Would have been 1st down at the Seattle 28. So yes, already in field goal position.

So how come Schaub is not going through the concussion protocol?

I didn't hear the whistle either; even though I went up close to the tv. That said, if it is in the rules , so be it. I don't blame Jackson, though. There are dirtier players in the league tan him. As others have said, where was his help tackling when the guy was clearly fighting for extra yards. I find some guys watch when one guy is making a tackle, though; OL then pushes the running back for extra yardage.

I hate it when Brady & Peyton whine to the refs when they get slightly touched, but maybe that's why they get the calls? They bring stuff to the attention to the refs. On the first hit, you can see Schaub made a quick "are you seriously not going to call that" look at the refs... but then quickly looked away and got ready for the next play. I'm thinking if he whined and complained to a ref, then the refs would have been more observant, and possibly gotten a call on the 2nd blow to the head.

I hate whiners... but time for Schaub to start whining out there so he'll get some calls. He even got whacked in the head in the play where Bennett got injured, but no call there either.

Back