Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kareem Jackson - Progress or not ?

screw it i say start em all season let him blow about 5 games for us and then we can evaluate him in the off season :wadepalm:

It's only the very very beginning of training camp, so obviously you try to take all the positive reports with a tiny dose of skepticism, but! It just does not sound like Kareem Jackson has improved at all, either through offseason work on his own, or with the new coaching he is getting now.

I mean he is capable of putting together solid seasons of CB play in the NFL possibly, but as far as the point of the thread, right now there's not much out there in the media or in the eyes of fans who have seen his recent work, to think that he is improving at all.

I firmly believe we at least keep him on the roster for this year and see where he takes it, but in no way will you ever find me defending almost anything 2010 Kareem Jackson on the field of play it was really really bad. I know there's a thread by 76 that has a lot of great photos in it and great breakdown about what ALL went wrong with the secondary not just Jackson and I respect him for that. But as of the time I am writing this, I think it's fair to say that reports out of training camp and the occasional youtube video that has popped up, aren't showing us anything encouraging.

That was the point of this thread - to get a different perspective than that of what my own eyes have seen .... on the nightly news , youtube or the radio announcer saying KJ got beat by UDFA so and so and Practice Squad Scrub. Thats enough discouragement ....

All of the above were negative .... I really wanted someone to chime in and say he had a good practice .... Two people who attended practices had differing opinions. Guess that will have to do .... until we get to see him against the Jets.

Maybe I shouldnt have asked .... for the bad news.

Also not included in those numbers: how many TDs did they give up? That seems like a pretty significant stat for a DB.

While its an important stat I dont put quite as much into it as some others because field position "Ususally" plays a part in that since so much of the game is spent between the 20's ..... First downs against , completion percentage against and average gain per attempt / completion are probably a better guage of a DB's performance.

Also not included in those numbers: how many TDs did they give up? That seems like a pretty significant stat for a DB.

Like I said, I posted the stats I had. The only thing I could have added was return yardage on the interceptions.

I didn't have targets and I didn't have TD's allowed. I don't know of any sources offhand that has that information. I looked on Football outsiders but I didn't see a category for individual DBs. They may have it in the pay area of the site.

I don't think the NFL provides those stats. I also get cynical about WR drop stats because I'm not sure of the source or who is making the judgment on what is a drop or how they're making it.

Last year Kareem was in an impossible situation:

- bad coaching
- thrown in as #1 CB right away
- basically no safety help
- very little pass rush
- not as NFL ready as analysts and coaches made him out to be
- CBs usually don`t perform very well in their first season

So let`s cut him a clean slate. This is his year - this year he can proof, if he is NFL calibre CB or not. He should have plenty of safety help, our pass rush should be lethal, he should get way better coaching and he has a season under his belt. He has all the tools to be a decent CB and I hope he can develop into one.

Last year Kareem was in an impossible situation:

- bad coaching
- thrown in as #1 CB right away
- basically no safety help
- very little pass rush
- not as NFL ready as analysts and coaches made him out to be
- CBs usually don`t perform very well in their first season

So let`s cut him a clean slate. This is his year - this year he can proof, if he is NFL calibre CB or not. He should have plenty of safety help, our pass rush should be lethal, he should get way better coaching and he has a season under his belt. He has all the tools to be a decent CB and I hope he can develop into one.
Here's a question for you: by most accounts Kareem failed in that environment last year, but Quinn basically succeeded and developed in the same environment since last years defensive coachs were in place during his rookie year in 2009 ?

Here's a question for you: by most accounts Kareem failed in that environment last year, but Quinn basically succeeded and developed in the same environment since last years defensive coachs were in place during his rookie year in 2009 ?

That's....not really a question but it IS a valid point.

KJ was real bad. He needed better coaches? Done. He needed better safety help? Done. He needed veteran leadership? Done.

He got thrown in the fire?

So take him out. Let him sit, learn, earn his way into playing time, beat out a veteran like Jason Allen, like it's supposed to be done. They've fixed so much, why blow the cherry off the top? Sit him down. Let him breathe, catch up. It will only make him and the team better.

That's....not really a question but it IS a valid point.

KJ was real bad. He needed better coaches? Done. He needed better safety help? Done. He needed veteran leadership? Done.

He got thrown in the fire?

So take him out. Let him sit, learn, earn his way into playing time, beat out a veteran like Jason Allen, like it's supposed to be done. They've fixed so much, why blow the cherry off the top? Sit him down. Let him breathe, catch up. It will only make him and the team better.

Exactly, whoever earns it in the preseason should start. Right now, as far as playing time right now goes, I don't care how good he might be some day. I'm sure that somebody thought Jason Allen would be a star at one time or another and now he should start if he is the second best CB on this team right now. I don't care how bad he was in the past and I don't care how good KJ might be in the future. We need to deal with the present. Whether its Harris, Allen, KJ, or whoever, you start whoever is the best right now. Maybe the guys you cut aren't necessarily the worst right now, because you have to consider future and possible promise of guys like KJ; but, for starters, right now is right now.

I believe I read somewhere that JoJo had a lot of problems his first couple of years in the league, and look at him now. That's why you don't cut KJ, but you don't have to start a young, clueless corner who will cost you games just because you drafted him. He could be horrible right now and still not have been a mistake in the draft. Whoever drafted JoJo didn't make a mistake drafting him; they made a mistake letting him go....well, unless they got a lot for him...

Quin is just better?

Quin had a whole season to learn under Dunta - don`t underestimate the help of a proven veteran and the experience of a NFL season.

I´m not saying give KJ the job - let`s see who`s the best #2 corner after camp. I´m just saying, don`t give up on KJ just yet. Let`s see what he can do this year. If he again fails miserably we can call him a bust - but maybe he can turn the corner, now that he has a lot of things going for him.

Quin had a whole season to learn under Dunta - don`t underestimate the help of a proven veteran and the experience of a NFL season.

I´m not saying give KJ the job - let`s see who`s the best #2 corner after camp. I´m just saying, don`t give up on KJ just yet. Let`s see what he can do this year. If he again fails miserably we can call him a bust - but maybe he can turn the corner, now that he has a lot of things going for him.

This team , the coaching staff , front office , ownership nor its fans .... none of the above can afford to wait around on the off chance that KJ figures it out.

The team is primed for a deep playoff run .... All the pieces look to be set minus CB2.

The coaching staff and front office are on the hot seat .... Its win or go home.

The ownership is on the verge of losing the fan base .... one more year like last year and , you think fans are unhappy now ..... ugh.

The fans in this city have suffered enough ... from the 70's against the Steelers ... Need I mention 35-3 ? And now 10 years of high hopes and expectations for the Texans .... none fulfilled. How much more can a fanbase take ..... ugh , 'Aints.

I saw a couple tweets yesterday noting that KJ looked decent, and made a few plays, one of them on Andre Johnson.
I'm sure there are others here who saw the same tweets, but it seems like nobody is in a hurry to post anything remotely positive about the kid.

I'm not saying the kid is a world beater or anything, but it really seems like the mob has their torches lit right now.

If I have time, I'll go back and find the tweets I'm referencing, because I know many of you will refuse to believe it unless proof is shown.

I saw a couple tweets yesterday noting that KJ looked decent, and made a few plays, one of them on Andre Johnson.
I'm sure there are others here who saw the same tweets, but it seems like nobody is in a hurry to post anything remotely positive about the kid.

I'm not saying the kid is a world beater or anything, but it really seems like the mob has their torches lit right now.

If I have time, I'll go back and find the tweets I'm referencing, because I know many of you will refuse to believe it unless proof is shown.

I dont indulge in twitter .... any info would be appreciated.

If Quin looked better than Kareem in 2010, it wasn't by much. & I seriously doubt Quin learned anything but attitude from Dunta Robinson.

The big difference is that we've seen Quin play better.. in 2009, when we played an aggressive style of defense.

As a matter of fact, if you have the ability to go back & watch our games from 2010, you'll see even Jackson looked like a starting NFL CB for the short periods of time our coaches let them play aggressively...... all those times we were shutting teams down to allow our offense to get in the game.

They all looked good when we were taking the game to the offense... they all looked bad when they trying to make sure the absolute worse didn't happen.

He had a pass breakup on the dreamboat of the team Andre Johnson yesterday. Haven't heard much about him this morning, lot of people are saying Joseph is looking like the best cover corner we've ever had on the team. So if I were a newsie from the 50's I'd say no news is also good news. I know in the O v D drills the defense is making it very hard on the offense to complete a pass.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of Jackson starting with the caveat that he actually earned the job, and his draft pick number isn't the only thing fueling him being CB2 (Which means he has to legit beat out Jason Allen). If you think about it, he'll have a much more experienced CB with him on the other side, and at least one brand new safety who does not have coverage issues like our previous safeties have had.

But I want him to earn that job, I don't want it to be handed over like it's not an important role on the defense.

If Quin looked better than Kareem in 2010, it wasn't by much. & I seriously doubt Quin learned anything but attitude from Dunta Robinson.

The big difference is that we've seen Quin play better.. in 2009, when we played an aggressive style of defense.

As a matter of fact, if you have the ability to go back & watch our games from 2010, you'll see even Jackson looked like a starting NFL CB for the short periods of time our coaches let them play aggressively...... all those times we were shutting teams down to allow our offense to get in the game.

They all looked good when we were taking the game to the offense... they all looked bad when they trying to make sure the absolute worse didn't happen.

lol.

Good ole TK

Do it! I was anti-Twitter for a long time, then I realized all of the Texans info I could get utilizing it, and now I am 100% sold on it for that use (and that use only).

If you follow the right people. it's like main-lining Texans info directly into your blood stream.

Do it! I was anti-Twitter for a long time, then I realized all of the Texans info I could get utilizing it, and now I am 100% sold on it for that use (and that use only).

If you follow the right people. it's like main-lining Texans info directly into your blood stream.

^^^^

I approve of this message.

I started a thread that lists all Texans related Twitter feeds. Might add links to various Twitter clients as well, if people think it would be useful.
Can you bump that thread please?

EDIT - Nevermind, I had it opened in a another tab and just hadn't gotten to that thread yet. You started it literally 10 minutes ago! hahaha

Back