Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Johnathan Joseph a TEXAN! (Cut March 11, 2020)

Nnamdi's delaying tactics might have cost him some money. Or the Texans might have just gotten fed up of waiting.

He probably had the Texans in there to help drive the price up into the area he wanted, then told them he was either going to stay in the bay area (49ers) or move to NYC.

That's just what my jerking knee tells me.

This is fine though. It's not like the Texans are the kind of team that goes out and gets the best when they have a chance to do so anyway. We're more the "He's a real good value.... and he played for Bob's Alma Mater!" type of free agency players.

Something broke late today from the namdi camp about him prefering to go to NY....maybe that had something to do with Rick & co. Turning their attention to JJ...its like i & a few others have been saying all along...the player has to want to come here...if he doesnt, you just look stupid trying to press the issue.

McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Joseph gets 5 years, $48.75 million and $23.5 guaranteed, including $12.5 signing bonus.

just under $10 mil a pop... beats 12-14.

edit: ugh math

He probably had the Texans in there to help drive the price up into the area he wanted, then told them he was either going to stay in the bay area (49ers) or move to NYC.

This is fine though. It's not like the Texans are the kind of team that goes out and gets the best when they have a chance to do so anyway. We're more the "He's a real good value.... and he played for Bob's Alma Mater!" type of free agency players.

I doubt he told them anything. It would have been in his best interest to keep us hanging on until the bitter end. This will cost him $$$$

I am not sure even Aso knows what he wants. I think pretty much the whole time, the Texans were speaking to Aso and Joseph. They talked to both agents about parameters of deals. They gave an offer to Aso's agent and put a time limit. At the same time, they worked with Joseph's agent to find an area that was suitable for him. Then when they felt they were close to JJ, they put out an ultimatum to Aso: take it or leave it. He either rejected or hemmed and hawed so the Texans closed the deal on JJ.

Would love to see Tampa Bay or SF get Aso now.

I think Private Mccain tweeted that they made offers to both and when JJ accepted, they decided not to wait any longer and lose out on both

Always nice to see a fan base more miserable that ours.

:fans:

Nice signing. I would so love to have a defense this year.

reading some of the comments about MB reminded me of some thread on here about Bob

It is nice to be on the other side of it for once :hurrah::fans:

From Adam Schefter, interesting stats:

Interesting stats... RT @KCJoynerTFS: Joseph has a better 2-yr YPA than Asomugha on nearly 3 times as many targets.
29 mins 58 secs ago

Joseph gets 5 years, $48.75 million and $23.5 guaranteed, including $12.5 signing bonus.

just under $9 mil a pop... beats 12-14.

Seems close to Dunta Robinson numbers going to Atlanta, think it averaged about 8.75 mil.

just under $10 mil a pop... beats 12-14.

edit: ugh math
$9.75m year if McClains # correct. Right at $12m cap hit

Haven't posted in a while due to being depressed about the lock-out. Im so f ing excited we got JJ. We had a above average draft this season IMO. With wade Im stocked. When I think of the players we have on D, im getting more and more excited. We add the saftey, and get the Cushing from his rookie year, We def finish first in AFC SOUTH!

From Walterfootball: Grade A-

The Texans decided against spending a ridiculous amount of money for Nnamdi Asomugha, opting instead for the cheaper route. I actually like this move better because Johnathan Joseph is three years younger and isn't nearly as expensive as Asomugha. Joseph, 27, is a terrific cornerback with shutdown ability.

Solid CB. Good move by the Texans. Now we need to shore up the safety spot and we are gonna rock this year.

What are y'all so excited about? He's only arguably the best corner this team has ever had, and easily the best FA signing this team has ever made. :hurrah:

Now, with the money saved from aso-hole, let's sign Manning or another pretty good midlevel strong safety, and we have the makings of a competent secondary - not great but decent, and with a better pass rush (crossing fingers) and better personnel maybe we get to the average or even better mark on D. Arguing against that is lack of practice and classroom time with these guys. I think there is going to be a learning curve and they will get better over the season.

I am agreeing with what Thunderkyss and Herv have said.

Man, this is really really really good news! It feels like Bob hung in there as long as he could, but had to bail and get JJo to make sure he got SOMETHING and has a means to maybe get Manning too?!?!

Hellz to the yeah.

Haven't posted in a while due to being depressed about the lock-out. Im so f ing excited we got JJ. We had a above average draft this season IMO. With wade Im stocked. When I think of the players we have on D, im getting more and more excited. We add the saftey, and get the Cushing from his rookie year, We def finish first in AFC SOUTH!

Don't forget about Watt. He's gonna be a monster i'm sure of it.

http://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL

John McClain
@McClain_on_NFL John McClain
The Texans will have to redo a lot of contracts or release players next week to free up cap dollars. They wanted either Asomugha or Joseph.

Says Mcclain. hmmmm did his signing affect us in the salary cap that much ?

AND a happy Shetexan will go to bed with a smile on her face!! NEVER wanted ASO to start with! Arrogance and greed will be his demise, just wait and see! JMO!!

Welcome to Houston JJ #3!! Let's play some football!!!

I am really excited for this pickup. Just think if Aso wsa not in this Free Agent class JJo would be THE defensive free agent. WE finally pulled thr trigger on a playmaker in FA. Now I have an idea that might not work as I dont know how much it would cost, try to get Cromartie now and move a decent sized JAllen to saftey. Or on the other hand leave JAllen where he is and pick up Manning/Landry and I'll be even happier either way.

:fingergun: Bang bang pick up!

Well ... taking out his signing bonus, that means he gets 11 million guaranteed spread out over 5 years, makes it 2.2 million. Leaving 25.25 million in salary spread out over 5 years is 5.05 average salary ... usually salary is escalated more towards the back end. His actual cap hit this season might be lower than 7.25 million. Unless signing bonuses count against the cap year, I'm a little unclear on that

John McClain
The Texans will have to redo a lot of contracts or release players next week to free up cap dollars. They wanted either Asomugha or Joseph.

sigh....this guy...

Obviously the Texans wanted either Joseph or Aso. We'll see about restructuring, but he's literally the only person i've heard say this. He's been pushing this whole "Texans must restructure to get Aso." thing all the time.

Finally checking the boards again. If anyone can rep gtexan02 please please do it for me. He called me and informed me of the great news!!!

First off I'll say I have been VERY optimistic about landing Asomugha this offseason. I'm really glad that we literally backed up the brinks truck to his place. I love it. I also love hearing Weddle was up at 3am this am telling his wife they're moving to Houston just to hear back from SD today that they upped our offer.

I wanted Aso. Bad. Still do. With that said I love this signing of Joseph. Please let us get Danieal Manning too. This is HUGE guys.

Now tin foil hat. What if we agreed to terms with JJ under the conditions we don't close with Aso by midnight or noon tomorrow!?? Stay with me and my tin foil hat. Texans leak that we have "agreed to terms" with Joseph. Nobody can sign till tomorrow. Aso and his agent are shittin bricks now and may finally quit dicking us around. Could sign Aso still and "void" Joseph for lack of better words.

Not saying that's what's up though. I'm fricking thrilled. Our defense is legit! Let's get Manning or Landry!!!

Good move IMO. I think Aso was preferable, but we may have lost that battle with the Jets. We'll get more of Joseph's prime years than we would with Aso, and it leaves us more cash to negotiate with another DB.

How much does a second tier Cornerback go for?

Josh Wilson went to the Redskins for 3 years about 13 million. I think that's in line with 2nd tier corners.

But with the demand for corners the money starts escalating fast and Dunta was the "Big Name" on the market that year.

Hence the overpayment.

The more I think about it the more excited I am getting. I think KJ lost his starting spot. If they are smart they Grab Manning, start the Safety we drafted and have KJ sit for a year learning how to be an NFL CB before he suffers anymore trauma.

John McClain

LMAO, John McClain is like Captain Obvious. How many times is he going to say this? Like no one knows that the Texans have to do that...

I really wanted Aso badly, but JJ will have to do!

Personally, I'd love for us to sign Antonio "Manning Killer" Cromartie along with JJ. There's another guy that would love to be with us, too. And he's said it all offseason. Maybe we could get him at a cap-friendly deal.

Josh Wilson went to the Redskins for 3 years about 13 million. I think that's in line with 2nd tier corners.

But with the demand for corners the money starts escalating fast and Dunta was the "Big Name" on the market that year.

Hence the overpayment.

So tier 1 is $12m/yr
& tier 2 is $4m/yr

REally?

Back