Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

John Madden Retiring

I used to enjoy Madden but he had gotten to the point where he either:

A) restated the obvious

B) didn't make much sense at all

or

C) compared everyone to Brett Favre

Any coincidence that Madden is retiring at the same time as Favre?

I knew when Brett retired it was the time. He was waiting to see if #4 came back. Now its official, so he's out the door. So long John. Boom, Whapp!!!

He was a institution with Pat Sumerall. You knew you were getting the top game and the top broadcast. I think alot of that left with Michaels. I love Michaels but I think Madden started losing it when they joined. Overall he set the standard for the new breed type guys with the "Boom", etc. He is right though..it's time.

He will be missed, I liked his announcing. I wonder if he will continue the Madden video game series.

I used to enjoy Madden but he had gotten to the point where he either:

A) restated the obvious

B) didn't make much sense at all

or

C) compared everyone to Brett Favre

Any coincidence that Madden is retiring at the same time as Favre?

actually none of this is true, these are just rehashed jokes from frank caliendo's stand-up career.

madden's the best

actually none of this is true, these are just rehashed jokes from frank caliendo's stand-up career.

madden's the best

Now Kast. come on, you know at least 1 of those is true for his last couple of years in the booth. I'm inclined to go with stating the obvious b/c there were numerous times i caught him doing this in games.

Hey he was great, but it'd just got to painful to listen to him these days. Kinda reminds me of watching Hakeem in a raptors uniform those last couple of years.. :eek:.

I liked Madden. He will be missed.

While at lunch NFLN ticker stated NBC has announced Chris Collinsworth his replacement.

It'll take some getting used to, but I don't have a problem with Collinsworth.

I respect Madden for what he brought to the game, but, I won't miss him. The "mute" button on my remote got a good work out over the years because of him.

I'm gonna miss Madden also. Heck, I grew up with him, but boom, when you get old you get old.

I liked Madden. He will be missed.

While at lunch NFLN ticker stated NBC has announced Chris Collinsworth his replacement.

It'll take some getting used to, but I don't have a problem with Collinsworth.

Collinsworth knows his football.

He doesn't have the same personality that Madden does, but he will do a good job.

Collinsworth knows his football.

He doesn't have the same personality that Madden does, but he will do a good job.
Collinsworth comes across as smug....don't like him at all, but whatever, I bet he doesn't last long.

Collinsworth comes across as smug....don't like him at all, but whatever, I bet he doesn't last long.

I'm not a Collinsworth fan either, but it was probably the quickest & easiest fix for NBC. Aikman does a good job for Fox, but if NBC wanted him I'm sure it would cost them quite a bit.

Pretty much my sentiments Vinny. Colinsworth is too much of turd to last long. I dunno if has the analytical bravado that Colinsworth has but his personality doesn't grate people. That's who I would've gone with.

Finally!.....now if we could just get tony kornheiser off monday night football..

Yep.

This day is about fifteen years late. Madden is the most overrated broadcaster in history. I've never understood the infatuation with him. Not only is he the the masterest master of the obvious, he and Summerall schlurped Cowboy dong for so long in the 90's that I couldn't stand hearing him on my TV. Then, once the Cowboys started sucking again, he moved on to Favre.

Finally, he's retiring. Yay.

I'ma going to miss The Face...I used to be intimidated by him on TV but the more I learned the game, the more I understood him. :lion:
Thanks for the memories...we both had a 'thing' for Favre back in the day. :thisbig:
I heard about Collinsworth, thought Aikman may have a chance but its all about the greenbacks I guess.

Yep.

This day is about fifteen years late. Madden is the most overrated broadcaster in history. I've never understood the infatuation with him. Not only is he the the masterest master of the obvious, he and Summerall schlurped Cowboy dong for so long in the 90's that I couldn't stand hearing him on my TV. Then, once the Cowboys started sucking again, he moved on to Favre.

No truer words have been spoken in relation this blowhard!

Michaels silence at the time of Maddens retirement announcement is conspicuous.
Madden was certainly popular but overrated in my book. Even my wife often remarked about how he went overboard with obvious attempts to
dumbing-down his analysis.

Yep.

In his early days he was just fine. Over the last five or so years he's been boring as hell. Frankly the game announcers are just talking heads placed there by the networks to give us something to listen to and explain some of the more arcane rules of the game. They could all be replaced by a musical soundtrack for most of the game.

Madden was great. He had nothing but unabashed enthusiasm for the game he was calling and for the NFL. I can't say the same for many "announcers" calling games today.

Michaels silence at the time of Maddens retirement announcement is conspicuous.
Madden was certainly popular but overrated in my book. Even my wife often remarked about how he went overboard with obvious attempts to
dumbing-down his analysis.

Michaels gave a quote to NFLN on Madden's retirement. Is that considered silence?

In his early days he was just fine. Over the last five or so years he's been boring as hell. Frankly the game announcers are just talking heads placed there by the networks to give us something to listen to and explain some of the more arcane rules of the game. They could all be replaced by a musical soundtrack for most of the game.

I always appreciate all you posts but I disagree with this one. NBC once tried a annoucer-less game and it didn't work. Not with me or the public. Madden IMHO was great in comparison to the others simply because he loved the game. I guess that was good enough for me, dunno.

Madden was great. He had nothing but unabashed enthusiasm for the game he was calling and for the NFL. I can't say the same for many "announcers" calling games today.

I agree. Madden's love for the game overshadowed any of his flaws. I think people are being too hard on the guy. I will miss him in the booth, but I'm not anal retentive about the announcers. It's just a football game.

Michaels gave a quote to NFLN on Madden's retirement. Is that considered silence?

Yup..I guess calling him the gold standard is silence. And he is on Rome talking about him now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4073253

Longtime broadcast partner Al Michaels said Madden will have a unique place in pro football history.

"No one has made the sport more interesting, more relevant and more enjoyable to watch and listen to than John," Michaels said in a statement. "There's never been anyone like him and he's been the gold standard for analysts for almost three decades."

Last edited:
I agree. Madden's love for the game overshadowed any of his flaws. I think people are being too hard on the guy. I will miss him in the booth, but I'm not anal retentive about the announcers. It's just a football game.
the internet is full of crybaby complainers...it's amazing how many ugly comments I read on youtube, newspaper articles and whatnot. I kinda consider them the vocal minority of ugliness.

I always appreciate all you posts but I disagree with this one. NBC once tried a annoucer-less game and it didn't work. Not with me or the public. Madden IMHO was great in comparison to the others simply because he loved the game. I guess that was good enough for me, dunno.

Could be because I've gotten used to watching the NFL replay games muted, with other music playing in the apartment. I don't recall me ever doing that during a live game. LOL

i love collingsworth b/c he just tells it how it is. I think he's a great replacement. of course u couldn't go wrong with aikman or jaws either.

Could be because I've gotten used to watching the NFL replay games muted, with other music playing in the apartment. I don't recall me ever doing that during a live game. LOL

Next Sunday during the season can I come over? I'll bring beer.

I can't say I really looked forward to hearing games he was calling more than others just because he was announcing, but I did enjoy his commentary and personality. There's no denying the indelible contribution he's made to the game, he's leaving the league much better than it was when he entered and he's partly responsible for that. I wish him well.

.... and I like his video game.

What's weird for me is when I heard "30 years," I didn't realize that. I thought he was still a mangy holy roller Raider in 1979.

Back