Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

jimmy smith retires

keyfro

Veteran
kffl reports that jimmy smith has surprisingly retired...all i can say is yeeeeesssss!!!! the jags just got a lot easier to beat

That guy can/could play. Glad he is out of the way in the division. Wonder if JAX is peeved considering this announcement before the draft may have played into who they would pick...though they have tried to cover this in past drafts.

It's a sad day in Jagsonville. Jimmy will be missed. The one thing that I am glad about is he is leaving on his own terms and while he was still at the top of his game.

There have been hints all through the off season that he may retire. He even said that he wanted to do so after the playoff loss to New England. Even with that in mind, I just don't think that our front office would have drafted yet another WR this year.

Smith broke his leg and missed most of his rookie season. In 1993, he needed an emergency appendectomy and suffered through infection and stomach problems. He missed the entire year. He didn't play in 1994, either, after getting cut by Dallas and Philadelphia.

In 1995, he caught on with the expansion Jaguars after his mother sent coach Tom Coughlin a binder of press clippings to help him earn a tryout.

He made the most of his chance and set receiving records that could be hard to break.

There's no need to fear, Underdog was here!

I think he was blind in one eye too? Or something was wrong with his eyesight, meaning not normal or poor: reduced.

Yes, it is a very sad day in Jacksonville. Jimmy Smith was the greatest reciever in our team's history, and he is a true class act. He will be missed.

As for the the person who said that the Jags will be easier to beat:

21-14

38-20

Be prepared for another sweep.

jagibelieve said:
It's a sad day in Jagsonville. Jimmy will be missed. The one thing that I am glad about is he is leaving on his own terms and while he was still at the top of his game.

There have been hints all through the off season that he may retire. He even said that he wanted to do so after the playoff loss to New England. Even with that in mind, I just don't think that our front office would have drafted yet another WR this year.

I feel sorry for you guys. I respected Jimmy Smith a lot and he was defainately underrated like Eddie Kennison is in Kansas City. That's the first thing I thought when I saw he was retiring, is that at least he left while he was on the top of his game (even though he probably had atleast another year left in him). I think Matt Jones along with Earnest Wilford will step up and be a big part of your passing game next year in replace of Jimmy Smith.

Fldvldog said:
Yes, it is a very sad day in Jacksonville. Jimmy Smith was the greatest reciever in our team's history, and he is a true class act. He will be missed.

21-14

38-20

Dream on kitty and remember those games for a long, long time. You won't be on the "happy" side of a Texans sweep again anytime soon.

Hervoyel said:
Dream on kitty and remember those games for a long, long time. You won't be on the "happy" side of a Texans sweep again anytime soon.

Oh, I'm willing to bet my paycheck that we will be on the "happy" side of the sweep. And mark my words:

"THE JAGS WILL SWEEP THE TEXANS IN '06"

I'm ot trying to be arrogant, or start a riot here, but, I know it will happen.

On a side note, I'm very interested over the battle over the no.1 spot. Matt or Reggie? Hmmm.....

Fldvldog said:
Oh, I'm willing to bet my paycheck that we will be on the "happy" side of the sweep. And mark my words:

"THE JAGS WILL SWEEP THE TEXANS IN '06"

I'm ot trying to be arrogant, or start a riot here, but, I know it will happen.

On a side note, I'm very interested over the battle over the no.1 spot. Matt or Reggie? Hmmm.....

#1 in name, not talent or ability, right?

I mean c'mon neither of those guys is a legit #1 WR in the NFL. Chad Johnson, AJ, Walker, Harrison, Holt, Ward, Moss etc. they are guys with the talent to be legit #1s; not Reggie or friggin Matt Jones.

Sheeeesh!

reggie couldn't fight for the #3 spot, how the hell will he do so for the #1? right now, jones is the clearcut #1, and i guess wilfork is #2. they drafted marcedes lewis for a reason.

Hey Jimbo, if you are coming out of retirement, the Texans are welcoming you with open arms....3rd option receiver is open!

First of all, why are you comparing Matt and Reggie to Marvin Harrison and crew? Thats straaange. Obviously they aren't that good, yet. ITs too early to tell.

Either way, though, we could have Richard Simmons at the no.1 spot, and still beat the texans :whip:

jagibelieve said:

Jimmy Smith is a Hall of Fame WR, I feel for you guys to have to loose him..................But I will not feel bad come the first game.:cool:

Fldvldog said:

21-14

38-20

The Jaguars will be easier to beat. I'm not saying it'll happen, but it will be easier. Moonshine Matt won't replace Smith, they have different styles.

jagibelieve said:

They didnt last year either...They drafted a bad QB

Fldvldog said:
First of all, why are you comparing Matt and Reggie to Marvin Harrison and crew? Thats straaange. Obviously they aren't that good, yet. ITs too early to tell.

Either way, though, we could have Richard Simmons at the no.1 spot, and still beat the texans :whip:

Last year's Jaguars were the worst playoff team ever, even worse than the 8-8 Browns. The Jags will take a giant leap backwards this year, just watch.

jaayteetx said:
Last year's Jaguars were the worst playoff team ever, even worse than the 8-8 Browns. The Jags will take a giant leap backwards this year, just watch.

If thats so, what does that make the texans? Chop liver?

Good luck coping with another losing season...

Fldvldog said:
If thats so, what does that make the texans? Chop liver?

Good luck coping with another losing season...
Hey, I didn't say we were better than you guys last year, did I?

jaayteetx said:
Hey, I didn't say we were better than you guys last year, did I?

When did I ever say that the Jags were better than the texans, if that is what you're hinting (though, they are, but thats besides the point)?

Fldvldog said:

I just figured it out. Fldvldog is Ricky Williams and he's making predictions through the cloud of smoke in his face.

A sweep in 2006 by you guys is not going to happen. You guys got us twice in a year when everything fell apart. Big deal, the same team that did that got swept the year before by our 2-14 butts. You guys aren't ready to dominate anyone or anthing.

Particularly not when important parts of your team are announcing their retirement.

I called the Texans sweep of you guys in 2004 and over the protests of my fellow Texans fans I called your sweep of us in 2005. Mark my words man because in 2006 we're going to split with you, split with the Colts, and sweep the Tacks.

If it makes you feel any better I think everybody is going to sweep the Tacks. It's their day in the barrel.

This version of the Jagoffs has peaked. Del Rio is Glanville reincarnated I tell ya. There is so much similarity it's scary.

Jimmy was a great receiver and will be missed. That was one of those "what were the dumass cowboys thinking?"

I also think the Colts fall back to the pack a bit this year. 10-6-ish might win the AFC South.

Hervoyel said:
You guys got us twice in a year when everything fell apart. Big deal, the same team that did that got swept the year before by our 2-14 butts. You guys aren't ready to dominate anyone or anthing.

If I remember correctly, didn't the Texans put a 21-0 stomping on the Jags IN JACKSONVILLE when they were fighting for a spot in the 2004 playoffs?

Señor Stan said:
If I remember correctly, didn't the Texans put a 21-0 stomping on the Jags IN JACKSONVILLE when they were fighting for a spot in the 2004 playoffs?

Yeah, but to be fair to the Jags nobody saw that game.

Ahh...what would being a Texans fan be like without having Jags fans to talk smack to us? Thanks devil doggie.

LMAO to whoever thinks I'm trolling. Since when does friendly smack qualify as trolling?

Hey, we need something to keep us entertained for the next 4 months

:stirpot:

Hervoyel said:
I just figured it out. Fldvldog is Ricky Williams and he's making predictions through the cloud of smoke in his face.

A sweep in 2006 by you guys is not going to happen. You guys got us twice in a year when everything fell apart. Big deal, the same team that did that got swept the year before by our 2-14 butts. You guys aren't ready to dominate anyone or anthing.

Particularly not when important parts of your team are announcing their retirement.

I called the Texans sweep of you guys in 2004 and over the protests of my fellow Texans fans I called your sweep of us in 2005. Mark my words man because in 2006 we're going to split with you, split with the Colts, and sweep the Tacks.

If it makes you feel any better I think everybody is going to sweep the Tacks. It's their day in the barrel.

Hey, we all have different opinions. I still am confident that the Jags will in fact sweep the texans and titans (the entire division will sweep the titans). Nice call by allegedly predicting both sweeps.

smith_jimmy100201.jpg

img8833932.jpg

Cogratulations on a wonderful career. In an era where WRs are considered "DIVAS", being a class-act is all you did. Your talent was never hyped as others, but it will always be appreciated in my book. Happy trails, and I cant wait to hear that HOF speech.:twocents:

Smith was a great guy. I have always respected him a ton, and am glad to see him leave with dignity. That being said, he'll have to wait a while on his HOF induction as there are some more qulaified people in front of him. Great player and a tough loss for the Jags

gtexan02 said:
Smith was a great guy. I have always respected him a ton, and am glad to see him leave with dignity. That being said, he'll have to wait a while on his HOF induction as there are some more qulaified people in front of him. Great player and a tough loss for the Jags

He ranks seventh in NFL history with 862 receptions and 11th with 12,287 yards receiving. He has more receptions than every receiver in the Hall of Fame, and only Marvin Harrison has had more catches and yards receiving than Smith since 1996.

I think he deserves to be in. Maybe not first ballot, but he should go in.
He is a good guy and that will help him with the voters. Hope they dont pull an Art Monk on him...

Fldvldog said:

21-14

38-20

I don't know if you guys will be easier to beat, but I honestly believe that we will be a much improved team this season. I'm predicting a split: Ya'll win in Jax, we win here. Just my :twocents: . I agree with you about the trash-talk, it's all in good fun.

Sniff & Monk would not get my vote. players in the Hall should be dominate in their own era at the least, culmative stats are nice window dressing but don't intimadate the competition :twocents:

beerlover said:
Sniff & Monk would not get my vote. players in the Hall should be dominate in their own era at the least, culmative stats are nice window dressing but don't intimadate the competition :twocents:

I don't know, but All-Pro five years in ten years as a starter on top of his stats has me leaning towards a yes for Smith. Moreover, if he were a gangsta or lived in a larger market he would be more of a household name. His receptions and yardage since 96 are only surpassed by Harrison. Not sure how much more dominant he can be at this position.

Kaiser Toro said:
I don't know, but All-Pro five years in ten years as a starter on top of his stats has me leaning towards a yes for Smith. Moreover, if he were a gangsta or lived in a larger market he would be more of a household name. His receptions and yardage since 96 are only surpassed by Harrison. Not sure how much more dominant he can be at this position.

http://www.jaguars.com/story/5172.asp

“This is a day I've been trying to get to my whole career. I reached my goal to have played in a long and illustrious career in the NFL”

Smith has led the Jaguars in receiving yards in each of the last 10 seasons and ranks seventh in NFL history with 862 receptions and 11th with 12,287 receiving yards.

nice player to be sure but IMO a product of the franchise. How many Superbowls did he win or even play in with the Jaquars? :ok: so he had little to no help & thats why his numbers are inflated :) not trying to bash Smith a really good WR its just when I think of Hall of Fame it should go to truely great, difference/impact player & I'm sick of the Hall selecting players on the offensive side of the ball with big fat numbers while that offensive/defensive lineman who does not have the numbers to support his dominance only Superbowl rings & Pro-Bowl appearences waiting year after year for the call :twocents:

another thing to consider is that marvin harrison is just a few catches shy of 1000 (like 73, he'll get that). he's a lock for the hall. the HoF has never been kind on putting in a bunch of receivers. i don't see at all how smith will make it considering he never saw a super bowl (except as a backup in dallas, with 0 catches in 3 years). monk and irvin have a bunch of rings between them, and they're not in, no way does smith.

Vinny said:
My idea of a hall of famer is a guy who is a dominant game changer. Many people have lower standards...but I really don't think guys who just pile up cumulative stats in a long career should be considered the best of the best.

I tend to agree with this, however, Steve Largent seems a lot like Monk to me, reliable but no flashy.

Back