Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Jimmy Johnson: ". . talent, more than coaching"

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
Jimmy Johnson's thoughts on the Houston Texans

Jimmy Johnson was on a Fox Sports conference call this week to talk about the NFL at the midpoint of the season, so I had to ask him about all your e-mails suggesting that he return to Southeast Texas as the Texans' coach and general manager.

Johnson chuckled, then said, "I enjoy what I'm doing with Fox NFL Sunday."

Howie Long, however, cut directly to the chase.

"Don't all coaches say that, though?" Long said. "They all say 'You know what, I'm perfectly happy and would like to focus on that.' "

Johnson then tried to shift the focus back to the Texans' on-field struggles, but Long wasn't having it.

"I would think that $8 million to $10 million (in annual salary) would work," Long said. "You're getting your general manager, your capologist and getting arguably one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game."

"You guys are killing me," the former Cowboys coach replied.

In the time he was able, briefly, to switch the focus off himself and back to the Texans, Johnson took another indirect swipe at general manager Charley Casserly.

"When a team hasn't developed over a period of time, the initial reaction is that they're not getting coached well," he said. "But 90 percent of the time, they don't have enough talent.

"Some of the moves that have been made talent-wise, starting off the bat with (offensive tackle Tony Boselli) have backfired with some of the free-agent moves and big-money contracts. I would point at talent more than the coaching."

man that would be awesome if we could get jimmy in here for 8-10 million...let's do it mcnair...but he does have a point some of our talent hasn't developed like we would like...and some of our FA's have done nothing to earn their big pay

I hate being teased. Hey if I owned the Texans I'd pay JJ a million just to come in and do a one time "audit" of the team and offer suggestions. Getting him to be our coach and GM would be like a dream come true.

But as we who have watched this season know, there is something to be said for the coaching being ineffective, too. I'm not trying to take the blame off Casserly, but I think Capers, and moreso Pendry, are just as much to blame.

I really don't think Johnson is going to be our next head coach,i am guessing that if this is to take place after this season it will probably be Mike Martz.I know he doesn't seem like the brightest candidate,but with the Recievers we have in A.J. and the speed that Mathis brings to the game it seems to me that it can be his style of offense.

Marcus said:
"Some of the moves that have been made talent-wise, starting off the bat with (offensive tackle Tony Boselli) have backfired with some of the free-agent moves and big-money contracts. I would point at talent more than the coaching."

I respect Jimmy Johnson, but this statement is born out of pure ignorance.

We took Boselli as part of a deal to help Jacksonville with salary cap problems.

We got Seth Payne and Gary Walker out of the deal. If we hadn't taken Boselli, the Jaguars would have removed either Payne or Walker (whoever we hadn't chosen) from the expansion draft before we could pick them.

These JJ quotes are PC analyst stuff, light-weight comments. I wouldn't expect him to rip into a fellow coach, especially a niiiiice guy like Capers.

But the reality is that Capers is as much responsible for picking talent as Casserly (if not more, he is the HEAD COACH).

You can't separate the two. The 2005 Texans, at 1-7, are the Team That Capers / Casserly Built. Talent or no talent, they made this team what it is today. Period.

brickmantexanfan said:
I really don't think Johnson is going to be our next head coach,i am guessing that if this is to take place after this season it will probably be Mike Martz.I know he doesn't seem like the brightest candidate,but with the Recievers we have in A.J. and the speed that Mathis brings to the game it seems to me that it can be his style of offense.

There is no way Martz is leaving St. Louis unless he has significant health issues, and I highly doubt we'd make him an offer if that's the case.

MorKnolle said:
There is no way Martz is leaving St. Louis unless he has significant health issues, and I highly doubt we'd make him an offer if that's the case.
Martz days in St. Louis were numbered before he had the heart issue.

MorKnolle said:
Well, he has significant health issues and he doesn't get along with his front office....and the rumors are he is done there. That said, I don't think he is our coach of the future. He took a Super Bowl Vermeil team and ran less and less each year becoming a worse and worse NFL team in the process.

If JJ comes back as GM or HC, which I do not think, expect to see Butch Davis' name mentioned as either a HC or DC at the chagrin of Razorback fans.

If some how, some way, Martz ever became our head coach, I will OFFICIALLY put my season tickets and PSLs in the paper for sale...not that anyone would buy them. That would prove to me that a good decision is not within reach of our owner. Capers was the first straw. I hope there isn't a second.

Because of their old Boys vs.Skins rivalry, Jimmy has no problem throwing Casserly under the bus. Dom & Jimmy are members of the coaching fraternity, and they take care of their own.

$8-$10 million? Howie Long would be a tougher agent to negotiate with than Rosenhaus & the Postons combined.

"We took Boselli as part of a deal to help Jacksonville with salary cap problems.

We got Seth Payne and Gary Walker out of the deal. If we hadn't taken Boselli, the Jaguars would have removed either Payne or Walker (whoever we hadn't chosen) from the expansion draft before we could pick them."

Out of pure curiosity, was this ever acknowledged by either front office? I know these rumors have been out there forever, and it makes a certain amount of sense, but it still seems a bit strange for division rivals to cooperate like that.

I know I was upset to see Walker leave our roster, and this would make it a little more understandable for me.

Throw a 60 foot Hatteras and a boat slip into your offer and you just might get Jimmy to leave his place in the Florida Keys.

SicilianJag said:
Out of pure curiosity, was this ever acknowledged by either front office? I know these rumors have been out there forever, and it makes a certain amount of sense, but it still seems a bit strange for division rivals to cooperate like that.

I know I was upset to see Walker leave our roster, and this would make it a little more understandable for me.

From Football Digest, Oct, 2002:

For the Jaguars, the expansion draft served as a get-out-of-salary-cap-jail-free card. The salaries of players taken in the expansion draft are wiped from the books of the teams that lose them. By allowing Houston to select Boselli, Payne, and Walker, the Jaguars erased $17 million from their payroll. But that was the only positive to come out of it, especially concerning Boselli. The Jaguars had hoped he'd spend his entire career in Jacksonville, but they felt they had to let him go for the long-term good of the franchise.

"It was the most distasteful decision I've ever had to make with this franchise," Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver says. "Obviously, the last player I'd want to put [on the expansion list] is Tony Boselli. But he gave us the best chance of trying to solve the salary cap problem."

And from SportingNews.com - July 27, 2003

But this is what a lot of people don't know: The Texans cut a deal with the Jaguars before the draft, promising to take Boselli only if the Jaguars left defensive linemen Gary Walker and Seth Payne exposed. In essence, Boselli was a “throw-in” the Texans had to take in order to get Walker, who has played in the last two Pro Bowls, and Payne. . . .

Still looking for something "official" from either front office to confirm the second story, but it seems pretty reasonable if lot of analysts mention the deal in stories. idonno:

****edit: Following added:

from Big on Sports:

Jacksonville, which entered the expansion draft more than $27 million over the $71.8 million salary cap, realized nearly $15 million in cap relief thanks to Houston's selections of Boselli ($6,883,332 cap figure for '02) and starting defensive tackles Gary Walker ($5,250,000) and Seth Payne ($2,775,000). While it will be nearly impossible for Jacksonville's Tom Coughlin to replace the caliber of these three players, he was able to reduce his cap deficit to a more manageable $12 million.

"We certainly didn't want to lose Tony Boselli or our two starting defensive tackles," said Coughlin. "But this was a chance to get ourselves out of a hole."

*****edit 1.2 - added:

from sportsillustrated.com - Friday July 18, 2003

The Texans took Boselli in the 2002 expansion draft in an agreement between the two teams that allowed Houston to take defensive linemen Seth Payne and Gary Walker.

<snip>

Texans general manager Charley Casserly said he believes the deal ultimately will benefit the team despite the $6 million salary cap hit the franchise must endure this season.

"In order to get those two [Payne and Walker] you had to take the risk on Boselli. That was the deal," Casserly said.

So there you have it. It was a deal officially confirmed by the Texans GM. :ok:

I still think the whole Boselli thing was a bunch of bull. The Jag were in cap hell and couldn't have kept these players anyway. No deal needed to be cut. Pass on Boselli and I'll bet Walker and Payne would still have been made available.

Thanks. That's more than enough justification for your comments.

I also can't argue with any of bckey's comments. The deal did help us get out of cap hell much more quickly than we could've dreamed, though we hated losing all 3 of those guys. And there's little doubt we would have been required to cut some big name players at the end of that year, but I don't know whom that would've been.

I don't believe either front office knew that Boselli was done at that time. I think they both just knew it was a gamble.

nunusguy said:
Case in point: Barry Switzer "coached" the Cowboys to a SB victory.

In Barry Switzers defense he did at least know enough to not tinker with what worked. Think about that for a moment. Martz can't even say that.

nunusguy said:
Case in point: Barry Switzer "coached" the Cowboys to a SB victory.

That Cowboy's team had an awesome amount of inertia. They were pretty darn good.

bckey said:
I still think the whole Boselli thing was a bunch of bull. The Jag were in cap hell and couldn't have kept these players anyway. No deal needed to be cut. Pass on Boselli and I'll bet Walker and Payne would still have been made available.

It's been hashed over numerous times on radio and in print. Walker OR Payne + Boselli would most likely still have been available.

Good coaches would recognize that putting Riley back in the lineup is about the worst move ever. We should be wondering what Pendry is smoking...

I still can't figure out why Howie Long is in the Hall of Fame. My only guess is because of his media connections. Jim Plunkett won 2 Super Bowls at QB for the Raiders and his time is running out to get in.

eriadoc said:
It's been hashed over numerous times on radio and in print. Walker OR Payne + Boselli would most likely still have been available.

Exactly, Right.
It does not matter that Boselli was tossed into the trade. It was a bad deal. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but I can't see making a trade with a team in your own division that bails them out of cap trouble. Also why would we trade up with Tennesse to get Babin. Even if he works out we should not be giving extra picks to teams in our own division. I don't think that the Cowboys would ever trade up with either Washington or Philly.

SicilianJag said:
Thanks. That's more than enough justification for your comments.

I also can't argue with any of bckey's comments. The deal did help us get out of cap hell much more quickly than we could've dreamed, though we hated losing all 3 of those guys. And there's little doubt we would have been required to cut some big name players at the end of that year, but I don't know whom that would've been.

I don't believe either front office knew that Boselli was done at that time. I think they both just knew it was a gamble.

My pleasure. I'm glad you asked the question, actually, because it made me wonder if the deal was media perception or an actual agreement between the teams (memory is foggy). So now we both know. :thumbup

With regards to bckey's comments; Good points, but I guess we'll never know if the Jaguars were bluffing or not. It's the whole "hindsight is 20/20" routine, easy to second guess after the fact.

Although one of our more knowledgable radio sports talk hosts (Charlie Pallilo) has made comments that the Texans "knew" that Jacksonville would "definitely" pull either Payne or Walker if Boselli wasn't taken. Again, that information falls under speculation at this point. But I could see it happening just because of the division rival and all.

I think Jimmy Johnson likes getting his ego stroked by being mentioned as a big bucks prospect, but I can't imagine him doing it. He has a cush life, so why would he want to be sleeping on the couch again? Better to throw spit balls from the sidelines and be regarded as retired genius.

The only way I could see him do it is if there was a pile of money thrown at him and he really wants to do an ultimate screw you to Jerry Jones.

I don't know. Most of the names thrown around are:

1. Implausible or

2. Not an improvement

3. Implausible AND not an improvement.

Whoever it is, it is going to probably involve a wheelbarrow of cash we are going to overpay for FA and staff until we get a team together that seems like it is going to work.

Texans_Chick said:
The only way I could see him do it is if there was a pile of money thrown at him and he really wants to do an ultimate screw you to Jerry Jones.

This would work for me. Love the Cowboys, don't care for Jerry. I think we play them next season. Would be nice to beat them again and be up on them 2-0. Preseason doesn't count :D

:rockets: :astros:

Jimmy Johnson's ego is inflated enough, don't you think? Stop feeding it.

cuppacoffee said:
:hmmm: ...... Makes me think....:penalty:

Maybe Johnson would rather have the GM job and not the coaching job.

cac:........:coffee:

IMO, that is the ONLY spot that would get JJ's attention. I doubt he is interested in the mental & physical grind of being a head coach in the NFL at this point in his life. Wave enough cash in front of JJ and I THINK he might make the move for a GM spot though. However, he is kind of like a rock star on the FOX show and that feeds his ego big time. Not a lot of work, probably good money and he is in the public eye all the time. So, having said all of that, I think it will take a pretty seriouse amount of cash to pry him loose.

Now YTF you usually bring a decent amount of meat. Herm Edwards is definately one of the top coaches in this league. He and Jeff Fisher do more with less talent than any other coach in this league. Plus He plays to win the game and that is something many Texans fans want.

Howie Long was giving JJ a hard time yesterday morning on the pre-show when talking about whether or not Capers should stay. Again, JJ restated that in his opinion, the Texans have a lack of talent and need a new GM, not necessarily a new coach.

Hmmm.... now, with that little re-iteration in mind.....

What if scenario of JJ as GM and Capers stays? How would that fly? The only thing with that is, Capers-style football still happening of playing it close.

John Mcclain just said on 610 that JJ will not come to the Texans. The reason that JJ trashes Casserly is because JJ is buddies with Norv Turner. Norv and Casserly do not like each other.

Anyone see how uncomfortable Bob Allen made Casserly last night on his show? Casserly kept calling Bob Allen as "Coach Allen":tv:

That's because Bob Allen asks him hard questions and he can't avoid them. If you listen to him on his show on 610 if a caller asks him a tough question he either says he can't answer it or he hems and haws so much you have no idea what he's even talking about.

Exactly, I admire Bob Allen for that reason, He likes the Texans.My husband was screaming, at just seconds before the half, forth down to GO FOR IT! what do you have to lose? And the Texans choose to walk off the field. Bob asked Casserly WHY, at the same scenario, and he can't answer! someone has to answer!:texflag:

TexanAlmighty said:
John Mcclain just said on 610 that JJ will not come to the Texans. The reason that JJ trashes Casserly is because JJ is buddies with Norv Turner. Norv and Casserly do not like each other.

Anyone see how uncomfortable Bob Allen made Casserly last night on his show? Casserly kept calling Bob Allen as "Coach Allen":tv:

The fact is that McClain hates the Cowboys and since Jimmy was the coach he hates anything to do with Jimmy. He keeps saying that Jimmy has no interest.....

So What every coach that is "Retired" say they have no interest. Once Bob McNair starts showing him the Greenbacks I say he might change his mind. JJ might not want to coach maybe he wants Caserly's job. I remember before he was coach of the Dolphins he started "slamming Shula" saying that they should have been in the superbowl. Sounds like JJ might just want to come here!!!!!

Johnson is Exactly right. Which is why instaed of a coach the Texans need to hire him as the GM. If he wants to coach to fine. But he needs to be in charge of the talent.

Don't get me wrong guys, I would love to have JJ. Just passing along the info.

I also love the fact Bob is up front with Casserly. Gettem Bob!

FIRE CASSEROLE!

Back