Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is the Coach Kub. holding Mario back?

I guess Morency didn't cut his toenails this week. :) Football is catching up with baseball in the superstition dept.

I gotta disagree somewhat with what has been said so far. I watched the video and thought he did a great swim move at the 45 second mark and then again at the 2 min 5 second on the video. They weren't replays because if you look at the line-up the first one a tight end flew out into a pattern while the second one he was on an island. Both times Mario did a great swim move and showed great speed.

What I'm thinking isn't that Kubiak is holding him back, but that Mario is overthinking when he is out on the field. That to me explains why he stands straight up at times, because he may be struggling to know what it is he is supposed to do. Against the Rams he pushed to far up and then seemed to remember he was supposed to to a stunt he fell down in the process of pulling back. It's alot of information he is digesting and processing out there. I mean I don't know how many people caught it, but he even dropped into coverage in the Rams game. I can't blame the guy he not only has to line up in different positions, but has different assigments at each one and he has to be sure of what he's doing right after the defensive play is called.

Once he settles down and gets his assigments down, then I'm sure his moves will develop. Each week you see small steps and this week I'm sure we'll see him progress a little more as he's settling into his duties and this week I'm sure we'll see him attempt some more things and see him feeling more comfortable.

I think he is much faster than Seymore and stronger than Peppers, yeah he is a mixture of both players in a way, but that same mixture will help him match and maybe there we hope surpass his counterparts.

GO TEXANS!!!!

All the bouncing around and boatloads of different assigments bothers me a bit. It would seem to me that with a rookie you would work him into one spot to a modest level of comfort and then try another. All this bopping around is probably contibuting to the over thinking. We have very good coaches, so I'm sure they know what they are doing. It just seems counter to what I would have expected.

BroussardSaint I do not believe this will be the case. He has already proven to me that he is awesome. He does his job, no one has bounced any runs outside, and he plays well against the double teams. He forces the run inside, he does not get drove off the ball by the o-linemen, and the QB has been pressured. I respect your opinion but I am not going to bite on that crap about how he does in Philly. We will se what he does; I think he is going to bring it! If he struggles then he struggles. I am still going to support the guy and I still believe that the guys motor is on idle right now. Philly game one, we will get to see 1st gear and hopefully by the end of the season the guys is in 5th and wrecking havoc.

BroussardSaint said:
LMAO!!! I guess if he doesn't do good against Philly, you will have be saying " remember guys it takes a few years for a DE of his calibar to make an impact..."
How many years does it take for a running back to get thrown one-handed into the grass by a linebacker? Just kidding, good luck this season.

dat_boy_yec said:
I gotta disagree somewhat with what has been said so far. I watched the video and thought he did a great swim move at the 45 second mark and then again at the 2 min 5 second on the video. They weren't replays because if you look at the line-up the first one a tight end flew out into a pattern while the second one he was on an island. Both times Mario did a great swim move and showed great speed.

What I'm thinking isn't that Kubiak is holding him back, but that Mario is overthinking when he is out on the field. That to me explains why he stands straight up at times, because he may be struggling to know what it is he is supposed to do. Against the Rams he pushed to far up and then seemed to remember he was supposed to to a stunt he fell down in the process of pulling back. It's alot of information he is digesting and processing out there. I mean I don't know how many people caught it, but he even dropped into coverage in the Rams game. I can't blame the guy he not only has to line up in different positions, but has different assigments at each one and he has to be sure of what he's doing right after the defensive play is called.

I definitely saw the play where he dropped into coverage. Kub stated that they want to move him around to keep the O-line from zeroing in on him.
On that play where he dropped into coverage, two LBs blitzed.

BroussardSaint said:
LMAO!!! I guess if he doesn't do good against Philly, you will have be saying " remember guys it takes a few years for a DE of his calibar to make an impact..."

Hello, "Texans" fan...

And if Mario gets better and better each game. I guess you wont be saying much. LOL! :D

veazeyt said:
I definitely saw the play where he dropped into coverage. Kub stated that they want to move him around to keep the O-line from zeroing in on him.
On that play where he dropped into coverage, two LBs blitzed.

I think that was Kalu that dropped into coverage...But anywho...I re-watched the Rams Game and my conclusion on Mario is.......BEAST....On the play where he batted the ball, he engaged the tight end first; stood him up on the line, and when he recognized it was pass he rag dolled him out of the way, the RT came over to help, Mario put him on skates, and thats when the QB threw it and Mario Jumped up to hit the ball....On another play I noticed how fast he was....He was on the opposite side of the field when bulger rolled out...Mario tracked him down from the other side of the field and would have been put on trial for murder had bulger not ducked out of bounds at the last second...He is going to catch someone slipping this year, and we are going to see some awesome hits...he is going to absolutely crush some people this year....There were many other plays, and in fact Mario didn't have too many bad plays, and always made the lineman he was facing look physically overmatched...All Mario needs to do is calm down, get his technique right, and let 'er rip...:mario:...OH...and one more thing...I didn't notice it until rewatching the game, but when he made that play in the backfield on the running back, The offensive lineman had his freakin' arms wrapped around Marios waste...Like how a linebacker would try to tackle a running back...And despite being tackled he was strong enough to make that play...Ladies and gentlemen...Mario is defintely going to live up to that number one pick status...get...outta...town

xtruroyaltyx said:
I think that was Kalu that dropped into coverage...But anywho...I re-watched the Rams Game and my conclusion on Mario is.......BEAST....On the play where he batted the ball, he engaged the tight end first; stood him up on the line, and when he recognized it was pass he rag dolled him out of the way, the RT came over to help, Mario put him on skates, and thats when the QB threw it and Mario Jumped up to hit the ball....On another play I noticed how fast he was....He was on the opposite side of the field when bulger rolled out...Mario tracked him down from the other side of the field and would have been put on trial for murder had bulger not ducked out of bounds at the last second...He is going to catch someone slipping this year, and we are going to see some awesome hits...he is going to absolutely crush some people this year....There were many other plays, and in fact Mario didn't have too many bad plays, and always made the lineman he was facing look physically overmatched...All Mario needs to do is calm down, get his technique right, and let 'er rip...:mario:...OH...and one more thing...I didn't notice it until rewatching the game, but when he made that play in the backfield on the running back, The offensive lineman had his freakin' arms wrapped around Marios waste...Like how a linebacker would try to tackle a running back...And despite being tackled he was strong enough to make that play...Ladies and gentlemen...Mario is defintely going to live up to that number one pick status...get...outta...town

Very nicely put:yahoo: Let's hope his progression keeps improving come Sunday. We're going to need him.:fireball:

Back