Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is it time to crack out some Clutch City??? I think it is.

GP

Go Texans!
clutch_city.jpg

It's here, boys and girls. The first time in a long time we've had a scrappy group of guys to throw our support behind.

Who the heck cares what we name our defense?!?!? Big deal.

CLUTCH CITY, though? Oh hell yeah, you know it's back in style.

Attempts to nickname the Defense: 1,230,424,672,348,830

Names that stuck: 0

GIVING UP?!?!?! PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but unlike others...I'm just keeping it old school.

Resurrecting the old Clutch City spirits to wreak havoc upon our opponents.

Time to clinch playoffs.

That looks pretty cool..really tempted to steal that avatar...

Go right ahead. Right click on it, save it to your desktop. Then go to your User CP up at the top of the forums...and add it as your avatar.

Free of charge. Rob it.

This should be in the other thread, but in honor of the #1 defense they could adopt the name "Crunch City." Sorry, but Clutch City is taken.

Not feeling Clutch City. Too many negative connotations. Like Rockets and stuff.

Didn't they win a couple of Championships with that name? How's that negative connotation?

Speaking of Championships though... does anyone think we're a little premature wanting to name our defense? We haven't won a division championship yet much less a conference or league championship.

Didn't they win a couple of Championships with that name? How's that negative connotation?

Speaking of Championships though... does anyone think we're a little premature wanting to name our defense? We haven't won a division championship yet much less a conference or league championship.

* raises hand *

Connor Barwin started it all. Tell it to him.

BTW, I agree with you. I think Barwin got ahead of himself.

Man. A lot of holier than thou remarks in here.

Geez, lighten up a bit.

Its not premature to be excited about our team, hell we've waited for this a long time.

I always thought the term "Clutch City" as it related to the Rockets was because they were put into positions where they had to win games or their season was over.

Clutch City is a nickname given to the city of Houston, Texas after the Houston Rockets won two NBA Championships in 1994 and 1995. The name was given as a response to a front-page headline by The Houston Chronicle declaring Houston as "Choke City," It also refers to the clutch performance showed by the Rockets during their championship years.

------------------------------

The Rockets recovered from being two games down to the Phoenix Suns in the second round of the playoffs, to advance to the finals. Houston once again went down by three games to two to the New York Knicks, but they managed to win the last two games on their home court, and claim their first championship in franchise history.

Souhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_Cityrce

I always thought the term "Clutch City" as it related to the Rockets was because they were put into positions where they had to win games or their season was over.

I thought when they closed the city of Detroit, Houston took over as the largest producers of automobile "Clutch" parts. No?

With us being down to our third QB, and still winning and having a chance to clinch playoffs, I dont think it's too far out to suggest we can borrow some positive history from the only Houston pro team to have won a championship.

It's nostalgia (in my mind). We had Stros in the WS but got humiliated by getting swept in 4. So bringing back the only positive vibe we've had (Clutch City) doesn't have to be over analyzed.

Clutch City indicates preseverance and being clutch when it counts. Sounds like the 2011 Texans to me.

With us being down to our third QB, and still winning and having a chance to clinch playoffs, I dont think it's too far out to suggest we can borrow some positive history from the only Houston pro team to have won a championship.

It's nostalgia (in my mind). We had Stros in the WS but got humiliated by getting swept in 4. So bringing back the only positive vibe we've had (Clutch City) doesn't have to be over analyzed.

Clutch City indicates preseverance and being clutch when it counts. Sounds like the 2011 Texans to me.

Dynamo won two back-to-back mls cups

I'm with you GP, I like Clutch City a lot better than Bulls on Parade.

I just thought we were talking about the origin of "Clutch City"

Yep, I agree.

I like where GP is coming from. Clutch City represents Houston. I just hope that the Texans "clutch moment" is NOT having to win against the Titans to get to the playoffs. My heart can't take that kind of clutch right now.

I'm with you there.

Plus I think Rudy T's quote: "Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion" fits this bunch of guys rather appropriately.

in all fairness. I can't see how it can be Clutch city and refer to the Texans.. esp this time.Clutch city was the Rockets and they coming back time and time again in the playoffs to win the championship.. also 1st team to beat 4 50 win teams to get the crown..

that team was special.

I am not putting down the Texans.. it is they are taking it one game at a time and I know as fans we want to get excite.. hell I am excited.but.. .. Texans aren't in the playoffs yet and haven't made any noise either yet in the playoffs. right now..

crutch city with next man up

The Town that gave birth to "The House of Pain" will not now excrete the afterbirth that is "Bulls on Parade".

Won't happen. It does not sound "homo". It sounds "gay". There's a difference however subtle it might be.

Do we need to use basketball fanisms ..... these guys deserve their own footballisms, we just need to get creative.

I think a bump is in order here, don't you?

Clutch. City.

It's back...

I thunk you was a little premature earlier in the week. My thought patterns have since changed, somewhat. F'k Yeah! It's Clutch City!

TJ Yates is Clutch, BIG TIME!

MSR

Do we need to use basketball fanisms ..... these guys deserve their own footballisms, we just need to get creative.

You go with what worked in the past. Clutch City is not reserved just for basketball. It's an attitude.

It's saying "Yeah, you think we CHOKE? Not this time. We are CLUTCH."

The paths the Rockets and Texans took are fairly similar, and the term (IMO) is dead-on. Don't have our best guys out there? No problem. On the road with a rookie 3rd string QB? No problem. Have to march down the field with no timeouts and score a TD to win the game on the last play? No problem.

If that's not "clutch" then I don't know what is.

Sometimes, you stop trying to be the most creative guy in the room (something all of you have tried your hand at, btw) and you just stop trying to re-invent the wheel. Go with what works. Clutch City is something everybody knows of, it's a Houston thing. It's ours. And so it transfers to the Texans.

Sometimes the answer was right under our nose the whole time. This is one of those times. Clutch City is Clutch City. Today, IMO, ought to cement it.

Back