Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Is F.A. going to tear us apart?

Texanator

Rabid Brahma
I've been patiently waiting and watching for us to do something good in this FA period. So far most of what I'm seeing is 3/5ths of our O-line get traded down the road. We can't just sit on our hands while our team dissolves before our eyes.
I sure hope Bob Mc. and Co. have some master plan, because so far they are starting to make me a bit nervous.

Last edited:
Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Jeff Sperbeck, agent for Mike Brisiel, says Mike will visit with the Raiders tomorrow.

Mark Berman ‏ @MarkBermanFox26

Jeff Sperbeck, agent for TE Joel Dreessen, says Joel has visit set up with Saints for this weekend.

Pretty sure we're waiting on Myers because he wants a monster deal that we won't give him. Probably waiting for his demands to go down.

Waiting on Mario to do his visit thing, but I don't think the FO expects a realistic shot at signing him with the numbers Buffalo will throw at him. We can't match that.

Waiting on Brisiel to get offers from other teams otherwise we can offer him whatever we want. Same with Dreessen. They want to test their market value so they can bring us the figures.

Don't expect us to sign any of our other UFA's. We definitely will stay out of the FA market this year because 1) we don't have a ton of cap and 2) we spent quite a bit last year in the market.

I'm not trolling for anything, I'm stating a simple fact. When are we going to make some great moves? I'm waiting!

Pretty sure we're waiting on Myers because he wants a monster deal that we won't give him. Probably waiting for his demands to go down.

Waiting on Mario to do his visit thing, but I don't think the FO expects a realistic shot at signing him with the numbers Buffalo will throw at him. We can't match that.

Waiting on Brisiel to get offers from other teams otherwise we can offer him whatever we want. Same with Dreessen. They want to test their market value so they can bring us the figures.

Don't expect us to sign any of our other UFA's. We definitely will stay out of the FA market this year because 1) we don't have a ton of cap and 2) we spent quite a bit last year in the market.

That makes more sense then most of what I'm reading around the web.

I'm not trolling for anything, I'm stating a simple fact. When are we going to make some great moves? I'm waiting!

Our great moves were signing Joseph and Manning last year and drafting Watt, Reed, etc.

You live in the FA market and you will be dumping salary every year like the Raiders. Good teams build through the draft. Yea we have to let a few guys go whom we drafted (Mario, Winston) but that's so we can keep other good guys we drafted (Brown, Cushing, Barwin).

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/03/14/report-mike-brisiel-joel-dreessen-set-up-visits/

Mark Berman of FOX 26 KRIV-TV reports that guard Mike Brisiel and tight end Joel Dreessen, two of the Texans’ top free agents, have set up visits with other teams.
According to Berman, Brisiel will visit the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, while Dreessen is slated to visit the New Orleans Saints over the weekend.
It’s no surprise that Oakland is interested in Brisiel, who has been the Texans’ starting right guard since late in the 2007 season. Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Knapp was the Texans’ quarterbacks coach from 2010-11, and Raiders offensive line coach Frank Pollack was the Texans’ assistant O-line coach from 2007-11.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2012/03/14/report-mike-brisiel-joel-dreessen-set-up-visits/

Mark Berman of FOX 26 KRIV-TV reports that guard Mike Brisiel and tight end Joel Dreessen, two of the Texans’ top free agents, have set up visits with other teams.
According to Berman, Brisiel will visit the Oakland Raiders on Thursday, while Dreessen is slated to visit the New Orleans Saints over the weekend.
It’s no surprise that Oakland is interested in Brisiel, who has been the Texans’ starting right guard since late in the 2007 season. Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Knapp was the Texans’ quarterbacks coach from 2010-11, and Raiders offensive line coach Frank Pollack was the Texans’ assistant O-line coach from 2007-11.

I guess it's good that Dreessen is visiting the Saints. They already have a young stud at the position, so that might (should) limit how much they will offer for a backup.

With limit money I think they said..go test the market and see if somebody will give you STUPID money. If they don't we still want you back... but if another team offer's the money we can't match then good luck with your new team. You can't make someone stay and you just can't make stupid deals just to make deals... forget this hometown discount BS..."money talks and..."

I guess it's good that Dreessen is visiting the Saints. They already have a young stud at the position, so that might (should) limit how much they will offer for a backup.

That and they have almost no money to spend after re-signing Colston and tagging Brees. Dresseen may be re-signed after all...

I honestly don't know what's good and what's not good anymore, LOL!
I just want the season to start now!!!

With limit money I think they said..go test the market and see if somebody will give you STUPID money. If they don't we still want you back... but if another team offer's the money we can't match then good luck with your new team. You can't make someone stay and you just can't make stupid deals just to make deals... forget this hometown discount BS..."money talks and..."

I think this is totally 100% the case. They can't afford to pay their FA's stupid money this year. Even if they structure contracts for future years, how then do you re-sign Barwin, Brown and Schaub next year? Do you want to go through this EVERY YEAR?. Myers is 30, Brisiel is fragile, Winston looked good as a product of the system. Although I hate seeing the line busted up, overpaying for all three means you suffer elsewhere and in the future. Myers is a cornerstone of the OL, but he's apparently wanting a Mangold-type contract. At 30 years old, he's not worth that. Especially with Brown's contract coming up next year.

This sucks, but it is what it is, and we're stuck with it for the next 10 years. What the NFL has never considered was loyalty and reward for staying with the team that drafted you. At least the NBA has the sense to TRY to make that work.

I've been patiently waiting and watching for us to do something good in this FA period. So far most of what I'm seeing is 3/5ths of our O-line get traded down the road. We can't just sit on our hands while our team dissolves before our eyes.
I sure hope Bob Mc. and Co. have some master plan, because so far they are starting to make me a bit nervous.
It has been 2 days....glad you are patient, my friend. If they paid stupid money would you not be upset?

I'm not worried. We will eventually pick up players for lower costs, plus add some other ones when other teams start cutting players in training camp. I'm not worried yet.

When the dust of high paying FA clears and the draft is over, we will get a sense of what we really need as far as the team goes.

That makes more sense then most of what I'm reading around the web.

Dude, just reading your sig and couldn't help but wonder, does 'get the horn' have the same dialectic inference in Texas as it does in the UK?

this is how our team is built we build through the draft

and sometimes we have to let go of our older draft picks and People we deem not that good

its all a game / predection on who we deem will be good and will stay good for years in terms of our players

so obvs the the texans feel we can upgrade out RT obvs they feel OD& garrett is better then dressen

thats why getting/picking good players is so important for us in the draft

this is how our team is built we build through the draft

and sometimes we have to let go of our older draft picks and People we deem not that good

its all a game / predection on who we deem will be good and will stay good for years in terms of our players

so obvs the the texans feel we can upgrade out RT obvs they feel OD& garrett is better then dressen

thats why getting/picking good players is so important for us in the draft

Don't quite agree with you here Norg. I think what they can afford comes into it more than outright who's better.

For instance, if they think Dreessen & OD is not as good as Garrett & OD then Dreessen wouldn't have been taking all the snaps last season.

Same probably goes for Winston, is it his ability alone or is it paying $5.5m for that ability? I'd suspect it was just too much to pay.

The Texans have come from a position of having poor talent only a few years ago yet haven't underspent the cap by any great amount, therefore you'd have to deduce that they've been overpaying mediocre players down the years. We're seeing the somewhat painful moving away from that right now, and some guys who've benefited from looking good on a poor team are going to bite the bullet because of it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Winston resign for half his price when FA settles down a little. If he gets a deal @$5.5m or more off anyone else I'll be surprised.

Apart from Mario these guys aren't top tier, and after Myers I doubt any of them are likely to walk into anyone elses training camp as defacto starter. You'd think therefore that the Texans will get an opportunity to match any offers they get made and thats when the hometown comes into our favor.

I would expect things to start getting worked out today and it may be after the weekend before we know where the Texans really stand.

Anyone here remember Orlando Pace? How about Leigh Bodden?

In the past there used to be an annual influx of free agents who came to Houston with the sole intention of setting the market for their contract only to sign with their original team.

I'm hoping that's what is happening now with Myers, Brisiel, Dreessen etc. Shoe is on the other foot for a change. Welcome to the era where Texan free agents/cuts are actually coveted by other teams.

Señor Stan;1917518 said:
Welcome to the era where Texan free agents/cuts are actually coveted by other teams.

The bad comes with the good in the NFL, this is certainly part of it. It hate it, but it's real.

Site designers, how long until you scrub all the Average Mario images. I dont care for Buffalo player pictures........

Already has.
lost
RT
RG
FB
could lose
C
TE

ok that is 5 starters on offense
no way this does not effect the Texans

Back