Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Update on Ryans and Barwin?

Wolf6151

All Pro
Has anyone heard fact or rumor on how Ryans and Barwin are doing with their respective injuries? These guys are both going to be crucial to our new 3-4 defense and it would be nice to know how they're doing or if they'll be 100% by training camp, whenever that is.

Only apparent update.

Barwin running again
Posted by drewdougherty on February 3, 2011 – 12:29 pm

With a big tip of the cap and thank you to a blog commenter named “Jim”, we wanted to share this interview defensive end/linebacker Connor Barwin did with GoBearcats.com.

Paul Dehner asked a lot of good questions, and amongst other things, Barwin said he’s started running again and that rehab is progressing nicely.

He’s finishing up his history coursework at the University of Cincinnati, and isn’t “sitting with the older people in class”. He’s a front-of-the-class type of guy now.

And he promises a return of his Tom Selleck-esque mustache from the 2009 season.

DeMeco will probably not be allowed out of his removable walking boot for even light running until about mid March if everything goes well. I suspect we will be hearing something around then.

I'd kinda like to see somebody on the team grow a Brad Kiesel mountain man beard.

I can't help but feel that these two aren't going to be anywhere close to 100 percent next year. I'd be mega-surprised if we don't draft a couple LB's just in case.

Does anyone know ben tates status after his injury. I was also wondering to what capacity will tate be used next season. Like ward? Foster is a great 3rd down rb so I don't know how much pt tate will get

Tate just needs to concentrate on showing he can still play after his injury. Everything will take care of itself after that.

Never understood how a moustache is still socially acceptable across the pond :cowboy1:

When you look at the 'skins struggles to convert to the 3-4 last season you have to hope that these 2 are able to come back 100% Ryans the heart and soul of the D you wouldn't want to have to replace him, in fact I'm not sure that you could, and Barwin probably the most obvious 3-4 fit we have in the front 7.

Fit and healthy these guys can contribute a lot, if they aren't gonna make it then thats 2 big holes to fill and we have enough without that problem.

Couple that with the fact we just went 3-4

Yeah...didn't really think of that...I just see a lot of people around the message boards and radio talking about "when barwin" this and "when DeMeco" that...I just see disappointment looming for those folk.

Yeah...didn't really think of that...I just see a lot of people around the message boards and radio talking about "when barwin" this and "when DeMeco" that...I just see disappointment looming for those folk.

I feel exactly the same way. CND posted the recovery times and rational expected recovery %'s. Wasn't really comforting. Guess we'll see...

Even if Barwin and Demeco are back healthy, I do not expect them to come in and be great from day one.

Demeco has gotten a little heavy since his rookie year and it has affected his mobility already. I don't think he'll look all that great at the beggining of the year.

Barwin had a pretty bad injury too. He's never been a full time starter in the NFL. He's never played OLB in a 3-4. He is still a young player who will essentially be coming into his second season.

If I'm the Texans I would not count on Barwin being my solution at OLB. I would atleast pick up some really good insurance.

I sometimes have flashbacks of Barwin's foot. It was one of the most grotesque things I've seen.

I like the guy a lot and want him back full steam, but, man that injury was surreal.

Texans ILB DeMeco Ryans (Achilles' surgery) has shed his walking boot and cast.

Ryans has been rehabbing at the Texans' facility 4-5 days a week for the last four months. He's able to run on a treadmill at 65 percent, and is targeting running on a field in three weeks. Ryans told Texans.com he has "no doubts at all" that he'll return "stronger and better" for the 2011 season. He'll learn a new scheme this offseason with Wade Phillips installing a 3-4

From Rotoworld

I'm glad to hear that Ryans rehab is going well but I fear that he won't be back at 100% speed. I've read and heard that players with an Achilles tear injury usually don't come back with the same speed that they had before the injury. At 3-4 MLB he won't need lots of down field speed but he'll still need that burst of speed attacking the run at the LOS.

Demeco may be casting off his walking boot a little too soon in my opinion. Return to activity too soon is the number one reason for ultimate significantly poorer expectations for return. THIS ARTICLE WITH ITS CLASSICALLY QUOTED STUDY reflects a generally accepted expectation of "return" of NFL players, and its expected accompanying compromise of power and performance for those who are fortunate enough to return at all.

Demeco may be casting off his walking boot a little too soon in my opinion. Return to activity too soon is the number one reason for ultimate significantly poorer expectations for return. THIS ARTICLE WITH ITS CLASSICALLY QUOTED STUDY reflects a generally accepted expectation of "return" of NFL players, and its expected accompanying compromise of power and performance for those who are fortunate enough to return at all.

Would the rehab time depend on the degree of the tear?

Would the rehab time depend on the degree of the tear?

Once surgery is indicated, the rehab is only mildly different from player to player........usually dependent on the motivation and quality of rehab. The fact that he was taken to surgery "immediately" and that this injury is typically a complete tear, Demeco's course should follow classic lines of rehab. If immobilization/careful mobilization is too long, you worry about compromise due to stiff ankle with shortened tendon. If immobilization/careful mobilization is too short, you worry about stretching of the repair (leading to permanent less power in push off type of motions [very important to a football player]) or re-rupture of the tendon. There is only so much allowable leeway between the two scenarios. It can be a touchy situation either way. Again, we have to be realistic that this injury WILL have effected his ultimate return performance. We can only hope that he can compensate his "losses" by obtaining additional tools........ala, Wiley Coyote.

Once surgery is indicated, the rehab is only mildly different from player to player........usually dependent on the motivation and quality of rehab. The fact that he was taken to surgery "immediately" and that this injury is typically a complete tear, Demeco's course should follow classic lines of rehab. If immobilization/careful mobilization is too long, you worry about compromise due to stiff ankle with shortened tendon. If immobilization/careful mobilization is too short, you worry about stretching of the repair (leading to permanent less power in push off type of motions [very important to a football player]) or re-rupture of the tendon. There is only so much allowable leeway between the two scenarios. It can be a touchy situation either way. Again, we have to be realistic that this injury WILL have effected his ultimate return performance. We can only hope that he can compensate his "losses" by obtaining additional tools........ala, Wiley Coyote.

Good info.

I wonder if LB's ever learn to launch off their other foot after recovering from this injury.

Good info.

I wonder if LB's ever learn to launch off their other foot after recovering from this injury.

LB's, like any player, need to able to move quickly and powerfully to their left or right. When you move to the right, there is no way to push off your right foot. When you move to the left, there is no way to push off using your left foot. Trying to use one foot to push off to the right and left would create performance consistent with watching a person who can't dance worth beans........a person that would be pointed out as "dancing like he has two left feet.":)

Back