Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Injury Thread

Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 6m6 minutes ago
More on portable cold room added by the Texans at practice. It's not designed for emergency situations. It's 25 degrees, which bring body temperature down in 5- 10 minutes. It's spacious enough to hold roughly 30 players. No nicknames as of yet. I nominate 'The Ice Box'
Heat is usually associated with muscle cramping. However, some athletes are sensitive to cold. Especially with this steep drop in temp so quickly, this could create its own muscle issues if it's used during practices or games, not after them.

Last edited:
Heat is usually associated with muscle cramping. However, some athletes are sensitive to cold. Especially with this steep drop in temp so quickly, this could create its own muscle issues if it's used during practices or games, not after them.

Also seems like it ruins any of the bodies natural acclimatization. Takes away any home field advantage we may have had

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop
Here’s a look at the new cooling system the Texans installed on the practice field. It can hold 30-35 players and can quickly cool a player’s core body temperature. Other teams who play in hot climates have used them.

D7wNN8YXYAUSoSh.jpg

D7wNN8bWsAM5NpE.jpg

11:02 AM - 29 May 2019

Do they have the opposite contraption in Green Bay to keep those sissies warm in the winter?

Do they have the opposite contraption in Green Bay to keep those sissies warm in the winter?

No hot room counterpart, but...........................

Seven ways NFL players keep from freezing
Sometimes cold-weather gear doesn't quite cut it, and NFL players need to do a little extra. Photo by Scott Winters/Icon Sportswire
Dec 31, 2017
  • Matt BowenESPN Staff Writer

Editor's note: Temperatures in the Northeast on Sunday are hovering in the single digits -- with wind chills falling much lower than that. With that in mind, we take a look at what players need to do to handle the cold, a story that originally ran in advance of the NFC wild-card game between the Seattle Seahawks and Minnesota Vikings during the 2015 playoffs.

After playing my college ball in Iowa City, Iowa, with NFL stops in Green Bay, Washington and Buffalo, I've seen some brutal weather on the field. Snow, wind, ice -- you name it. And the hits sting in the cold. That stuff hurts. On top of getting past the mental block that it's going to be freezing on the field, how can NFL players prep for the unwelcome conditions?

Given the advanced uniform technology of cold-weather gear, players today have an advantage in keeping up their core temperatures, but there still are situations when they have to lean on some old-school tricks to avoid a miserable experience on the field.

Here are seven ways players can stay somewhat warm -- and still produce -- when the temperatures start to drop toward zero degrees.

Bring out Vaseline
A jar of Vaseline is an old trick from veteran players to block out the wind. Want to look tough and avoid wearing sleeves? Rub Vaseline all over your arms and slap some on your face. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but I used Vaseline in Green Bay from Thanksgiving through the playoffs when the temperatures would fall. Players want to show off their arms on a national stage in the playoffs, but to avoid shaking from the cold, you need to cover up with Vaseline. It's slimy and it takes some time to scrub off after the game, but it sure does work. And it's much easier than wearing a ski mask under your helmet.

Hot chocolate and chicken broth
Drink hot chocolate while you are getting dressed for the game and refuel on the sideline with some chicken broth. It's a great way to keep your body temperature up. But you can't just pound that stuff. No one wants to drink five cups of hot chocolate and then run down on the opening kickoff. That's trouble, and it also leads to vomit all over the field. Yes, you have to continue to hydrate during cold-weather games (I once cramped up during a game in Buffalo), so Gatorade, Pedialyte and water are a must before and during the game. A cup of hot chocolate in the locker room and a cup of chicken broth while you get a break on the sideline, however, is a smart way to stay warm.

Layers -- you need layers
Even with the advanced cold-weather gear, players need to add more layers to keep their core warm. In Green Bay, the equipment room was stocked with fleece turtlenecks. They're warm as heck, and they even come sleeveless for the guys who want to show off their biceps. Check out Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. He still wears the same fleece turtlenecks that were around in Green Bay back in the early 2000s when I played. You won't see many players wearing hoodies under their jerseys like they do in practice, so the fleece turtleneck is a smart play, along with a pair of long underwear. I know the cold-gear leggings work, but adding another layer on top of those (under game socks) can keep your hamstrings warm when you have to chase down the deep ball. Now, you don't want to look like the kid from "A Christmas Story" stuffed into his snowsuit, but having more layers is always a good idea.

Hand warmers can be used for anything
Those instant hand warmers we buy at gas stations are all over NFL locker rooms and sidelines during cold-weather games -- and players will put them everywhere. Among the many ways they are used: Drop a couple inside your hand muff, tape them to the top of your feet (before putting on cleats), put them in your gloves and tape them inside the ear hole of the helmet. Back before players were required to wear leg pads, I saw guys put them in the thigh board slot of the game pants. They don't last an entire game, so you have to keep grabbing new ones, but they provide a little relief.

Be careful with sideline heaters
On Sunday in the Packers-Bears game, we will see guys draped in heavy sideline jackets and huddled around heaters on the sidelines. They are the best. Like jet engines. And it's a good idea to stand in front of those before taking the field, especially for special teams (limited reps lead to tight hamstrings in the cold). However, those things are dangerous. I mean, it's an open flame. I've seen sideline jackets catch on fire, and I also remember a situation in Green Bay when it was time for the punt return team to get on the field in a late December game but a player couldn't make it on the field because his gloves had melted together. Panic set in, and trainers frantically tried to cut off his gloves.

Double up on the gloves, socks
Cold-weather gloves have more padding and are thicker than the standard gloves we see wide receivers, running backs and defensive backs wear. But they still aren't warm enough, in my opinion. And no one wants to play the game with numb fingers. The solution? Put some thin, cloth gloves (like little kids wear) under game-issued gloves. It's not much (and that's why guys use hand warmers, too), but it's better than trying to catch the ball with no feeling in your fingers. The same goes for your feet. Many people know how nasty it can get when you lose feeling in your toes while shoveling the driveway. Now, imagine trying to run on a football field -- in the playoffs. Take a thin pair of thermal socks and put those on underneath the game-issued socks.

Use heated benches, helmet warmers
Don't stand around when you get a break. Those sideline jackets are nice, along with a team-issued stocking cap, but the heated benches are sweet. They instantly warm you up and have slots for your feet. Sure, when you stand up to go back on offense or defense, the cold is going to hit you right in the face. But at least you can stay warm until then. The same goes for helmet warmers. These are attached to the back of the heated benches (long, white poles) and are a must for any player. Putting on an ice-cold helmet is terrible -- those pads inside freeze instantly in the cold, and your helmet turns into a brick. Good luck squeezing that thing on while avoiding the possibility that your ears might rip off your dome. Oh man, that hurts. Sit your butt down on those heated benches and warm up that helmet. That's key to playing in the cold.

No hot room counterpart, but...........................

Seven ways NFL players keep from freezing
Sometimes cold-weather gear doesn't quite cut it, and NFL players need to do a little extra. Photo by Scott Winters/Icon Sportswire
Dec 31, 2017
  • Matt BowenESPN Staff Writer

Editor's note: Temperatures in the Northeast on Sunday are hovering in the single digits -- with wind chills falling much lower than that. With that in mind, we take a look at what players need to do to handle the cold, a story that originally ran in advance of the NFC wild-card game between the Seattle Seahawks and Minnesota Vikings during the 2015 playoffs.

After playing my college ball in Iowa City, Iowa, with NFL stops in Green Bay, Washington and Buffalo, I've seen some brutal weather on the field. Snow, wind, ice -- you name it. And the hits sting in the cold. That stuff hurts. On top of getting past the mental block that it's going to be freezing on the field, how can NFL players prep for the unwelcome conditions?

Given the advanced uniform technology of cold-weather gear, players today have an advantage in keeping up their core temperatures, but there still are situations when they have to lean on some old-school tricks to avoid a miserable experience on the field.

Here are seven ways players can stay somewhat warm -- and still produce -- when the temperatures start to drop toward zero degrees.

Bring out Vaseline
A jar of Vaseline is an old trick from veteran players to block out the wind. Want to look tough and avoid wearing sleeves? Rub Vaseline all over your arms and slap some on your face. It sounds kind of ridiculous, but I used Vaseline in Green Bay from Thanksgiving through the playoffs when the temperatures would fall. Players want to show off their arms on a national stage in the playoffs, but to avoid shaking from the cold, you need to cover up with Vaseline. It's slimy and it takes some time to scrub off after the game, but it sure does work. And it's much easier than wearing a ski mask under your helmet.

Hot chocolate and chicken broth
Drink hot chocolate while you are getting dressed for the game and refuel on the sideline with some chicken broth. It's a great way to keep your body temperature up. But you can't just pound that stuff. No one wants to drink five cups of hot chocolate and then run down on the opening kickoff. That's trouble, and it also leads to vomit all over the field. Yes, you have to continue to hydrate during cold-weather games (I once cramped up during a game in Buffalo), so Gatorade, Pedialyte and water are a must before and during the game. A cup of hot chocolate in the locker room and a cup of chicken broth while you get a break on the sideline, however, is a smart way to stay warm.

Layers -- you need layers
Even with the advanced cold-weather gear, players need to add more layers to keep their core warm. In Green Bay, the equipment room was stocked with fleece turtlenecks. They're warm as heck, and they even come sleeveless for the guys who want to show off their biceps. Check out Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. He still wears the same fleece turtlenecks that were around in Green Bay back in the early 2000s when I played. You won't see many players wearing hoodies under their jerseys like they do in practice, so the fleece turtleneck is a smart play, along with a pair of long underwear. I know the cold-gear leggings work, but adding another layer on top of those (under game socks) can keep your hamstrings warm when you have to chase down the deep ball. Now, you don't want to look like the kid from "A Christmas Story" stuffed into his snowsuit, but having more layers is always a good idea.

Hand warmers can be used for anything
Those instant hand warmers we buy at gas stations are all over NFL locker rooms and sidelines during cold-weather games -- and players will put them everywhere. Among the many ways they are used: Drop a couple inside your hand muff, tape them to the top of your feet (before putting on cleats), put them in your gloves and tape them inside the ear hole of the helmet. Back before players were required to wear leg pads, I saw guys put them in the thigh board slot of the game pants. They don't last an entire game, so you have to keep grabbing new ones, but they provide a little relief.

Be careful with sideline heaters
On Sunday in the Packers-Bears game, we will see guys draped in heavy sideline jackets and huddled around heaters on the sidelines. They are the best. Like jet engines. And it's a good idea to stand in front of those before taking the field, especially for special teams (limited reps lead to tight hamstrings in the cold). However, those things are dangerous. I mean, it's an open flame. I've seen sideline jackets catch on fire, and I also remember a situation in Green Bay when it was time for the punt return team to get on the field in a late December game but a player couldn't make it on the field because his gloves had melted together. Panic set in, and trainers frantically tried to cut off his gloves.

Double up on the gloves, socks
Cold-weather gloves have more padding and are thicker than the standard gloves we see wide receivers, running backs and defensive backs wear. But they still aren't warm enough, in my opinion. And no one wants to play the game with numb fingers. The solution? Put some thin, cloth gloves (like little kids wear) under game-issued gloves. It's not much (and that's why guys use hand warmers, too), but it's better than trying to catch the ball with no feeling in your fingers. The same goes for your feet. Many people know how nasty it can get when you lose feeling in your toes while shoveling the driveway. Now, imagine trying to run on a football field -- in the playoffs. Take a thin pair of thermal socks and put those on underneath the game-issued socks.

Use heated benches, helmet warmers
Don't stand around when you get a break. Those sideline jackets are nice, along with a team-issued stocking cap, but the heated benches are sweet. They instantly warm you up and have slots for your feet. Sure, when you stand up to go back on offense or defense, the cold is going to hit you right in the face. But at least you can stay warm until then. The same goes for helmet warmers. These are attached to the back of the heated benches (long, white poles) and are a must for any player. Putting on an ice-cold helmet is terrible -- those pads inside freeze instantly in the cold, and your helmet turns into a brick. Good luck squeezing that thing on while avoiding the possibility that your ears might rip off your dome. Oh man, that hurts. Sit your butt down on those heated benches and warm up that helmet. That's key to playing in the cold.
We used Vaseline and pantyhose under our "official" cold weather gear when I was stationed in Germany. Worked great when it was cold. The hardest part was keeping our feet dry. That was just about impossible.

Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop
Here’s a look at the new cooling system the Texans installed on the practice field. It can hold 30-35 players and can quickly cool a player’s core body temperature. Other teams who play in hot climates have used them.

D7wNN8YXYAUSoSh.jpg

D7wNN8bWsAM5NpE.jpg

11:02 AM - 29 May 2019
In past summers when attending Texans' practices as a fan sure could have used one of those contraptions a couple times in those blazing August days
in Houston.

Houston Texans running back D'Onta Foremancould be in line for a breakout year after missing most of the 2018NFLseason while recovering from a torn Achilles suffered in November 2017.

On Tuesday, Texans running backs coach Danny Barrett said Foreman will head into training camp in a much better place after opening last season on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

"He's light-years ahead of where he was last year at this time, coming off the injury and everything," Barretttold reporters. "I still think he’s continuing to work hard. I think he’s had a good offseason to date. The time away from here, I thought was well spent for himself. Getting ready to go physically, and I think mentally, right now, is what I look at is each and every day."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-years-ahead-in-2017-achilles-injury-recovery
I dunno but what do you think C&D, do you find this encouraging or is this just so much wishful thinking ?

Houston Texans running back D'Onta Foremancould be in line for a breakout year after missing most of the 2018NFLseason while recovering from a torn Achilles suffered in November 2017.

On Tuesday, Texans running backs coach Danny Barrett said Foreman will head into training camp in a much better place after opening last season on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

"He's light-years ahead of where he was last year at this time, coming off the injury and everything," Barretttold reporters. "I still think he’s continuing to work hard. I think he’s had a good offseason to date. The time away from here, I thought was well spent for himself. Getting ready to go physically, and I think mentally, right now, is what I look at is each and every day."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-years-ahead-in-2017-achilles-injury-recovery
I dunno but what do you think C&D, do you find this encouraging or is this just so much wishful thinking ?
Until he is pushing heavy men after contact, I don't think we will know, but all the hype is pointing to he did his work plus some to be ready, stronger and quicker. He looked pretty bad end of last year, so he has to be better than that and seems to have done what it takes, now up to his body and to see if he is one of those that gets on and does not have compensatory injuries

Previously, I simply read Martin's injury described as a pulled muscle. This morning it was described as a hamstring.

Wish doc was here but this is the best I can find per rotoworld:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Keke Coutee has been diagnosed with a "not major" ankle injury.
We can only hope, but we need to wait for additional sources before considering Coutee out of the woods. Coutee did post, then delete, an encouraging update on social media. Even a minor ankle issue could hold Coutee out for the rest of the preseason.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Aug 8, 2019, 10:54 PM ET

Texans' Coutee, McCarron won't be healthy soon
i

SARAH BARSHOPESPN Staff Writer12:26 PM ET1 Minute Read
HOUSTON -- Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he doesn't expect wide receiver Keke Coutee(ankle) or backup quarterback AJ McCarron(thumb) to be back "soon" for the Texans.

Coutee missed all but six games last season because of injuries to both hamstrings. In those six games, he caught 28 passes for 287 yards and a touchdown.

McCarron injured his thumb during the Texans' joint practice with the Packers on Tuesday. Had he not been injured, the backup quarterback was expected to start in the Texans' first preseason game.

Houston signed quarterback Jordan Ta'amu, an undrafted free agent from Mississippi, on Wednesday but quarterback Joe Webb played the entire preseason game.

ESPN.com: Texans don't expect Coutee, McCarron back 'soon'.
https://www-espn-com.cdn.ampproject...expect-coutee-mccarron-back-soon?platform=amp

"Tomorrow? No. A week from now? Probably not," O'Brien said. "And so we'll just keep playing it by ear."

@AaronWilson_NFL: Texans rookie tight end Kahale Warring is in the concussion protocol, according to a league source. Warring got hurt in Green Bay after missing time previously with hamstring injury. Warring is making progress. Today marks his third day in a row out after missing the game.

@AaronWilson_NFL: Texans rookie tight end Kahale Warring is in the concussion protocol, according to a league source. Warring got hurt in Green Bay after missing time previously with hamstring injury. Warring is making progress. Today marks his third day in a row out after missing the game.
Hopefully, this doesn't become a string of concussions for him. With our depth at TE, he should rest until the season starts. Another injury and he could land on Magical IR Resort.

MY LAST UPDATE:

MANCZ-LOW ANKLE SPRAIN.............AFTER 2 SEASONS OF KNEE ISSUES, WILL LEAVE LOWER LIMB MORE UNSTABLE FOR FURTHER INJURIES

MARTIN---HAMSTRING.............LIKELY DUE CONTINUED EFFECTS OF 2 HIGH ANKLE FRACTURES

JORDAN THOMAS----HAMSTRING A WEEK AGO.......BEGINNING TO RUN, BUT NOT CUTTING

JJ WATT---GROIN........SUSTAINED IN 1 GREEN BAY PRACTICE.........HAS ALREADY UNDERGONE BILATERAL REPAIRS OF SEVERE ADDUCTOR TEAR SURGERY WITH PARTIAL BILATERAL RECTUS MUSCLE TEARS............ALONG WITH 2 PREVIOUS BACK SURGERIES AND THE TIBIAL PLATEAU FRACTURE WITH ITS 2 SUBSEQUENT SURGERIES, HIS CORE HAS BEEN SIGNIFICANTLY COMPROMISED, ESPECIALLY WHEN REQUIRING TWISTING MOVEMENTS AND STRENGTH AGAINST DIRECT HEAVY RESISTANCE..........THIS LAST MINIMIZED "TIGHTENING GROIN" IS NOT A GREAT SIGN

COUTEE---ANKLE..........REPORTED AS "MINOR" RUN OF THE MILL ANKLE SPRAIN, NOW REPORTED AS SIGNIFICANT...........AGAIN MINIMIZED, AS IT IS NOT BEING REPORTED AS TO WHAT IT REALLY IS.........A SEVERE HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN.........SHOULD NOT RETURN FOR WEEK 1...........AFTER HIS EXTENSIVE HAMSTRING INJURY HISTORY, HIS ANKLE CONDITION DECREASES HIS LOWER LIMB STABILITY, AND INCREASES HIS CHANCES FOR ADDITIONAL LOWER EXTREMITY AND CERTAINLY HAMSTRING INJURIES

CRAWFORD---UNDISCLOSED, BUT THE WAY HE WAS LED OFF THE FIELD, LIKELY A BACK RE--INJURY.............MISSED LAST 7 GAMES OF 2017 BECAUSE OF A SEVERE BACK INJURY

MCCARRON---THUMB...........REPORTING HE SHOULD BE BACK SOON..........NOT REPORTED, BUT IT IS AN ULNAR COLLATERAL LIGAMENT TEAR...........USUALLY REQUIRES 6 WEEKS IF NO SURGERY REQUIRED..........IF WE FIND THAT SURGERY IS ULTIMATELY NECESSARY TO STABILIZE THE JOINT, RECOVERY WILL BE 2-3 MONTHS

WARRING----HAMSTRING..........MORE WORRISOME THAN PRESENTED..........NOT REFERENCED, BUT IN HIS LAST GAME OF LAST SEASON IN COLLEGE, HE SUSTAINED A HAMSTRING INJURY THAT DID NOT ALLOW HIM TO LATER PLAY IN HIS BOWL GAME......THEN WHEN WORKING OUT IN CALIF WITH WATSON IN THE OFFSEASON, RE-INJURED IT...........TRIED TO RETURN TO PRACTICE THE LAST DAY IN JULY, AND AFTER A FEW DAYS WAS ONCE AGAIN SHUT DOWN..........NOT VERY PROMISING SET OF EVENTS............NOT TO MENTION THAT HE PRESENTLY IN THE CONCUSSION PROTOCOL FOR A CONCUSSION SUSTAINED IN THE 2ND GREEN BAY PRACTICE

DUKE JOHNSON---HAMSTRING............INJURED ON THE 3RD DAY OF BROWNS TC..........SOME SAY IT WAS FAKED".......CONFIRMED TO BE REAL.......DESPITE THIS, WAS CLEARED BY THE TEXANS MEDICAL STAFF, WITH THE REPORTED EXPECTATION THAT HE WOULD NOT BE PREPARED TO PLAY IN PRESEASON GAME 1 DUE TO SHORT SCHEME EXPOSURE...........NOW THE ORGANIZATION STATES THAT HE WILL DEFINITELY NOT SEE THE FIELD PRESEASON GAME 2

I think the whole giving him an injury thread and then failing to moderate it to keep it on topic really (rightfully so) pissed him off. This is why we can't have nice things.
Granted he started the thread, but did we give it to him? Does he actually own it?

Proper English Bear, Superduperadmin and Test Account certainly don't seem to be pulling their weight around here.
Were they not part of the merge that went on a few years ago with Texans Talk receiving another team's message board? Most followers of that group left IIRC.

Back