Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

man I bet McClain is happy to hear that; for years after the Mario Williams pick and John's comments, he seemed to be scorned by Texans.

It's when Casserly left, his sources dried up. Still don't think he has any particular insiders. How much Texans news does he break? He's just less angry now.

It's when Casserly left, his sources dried up. Still don't think he has any particular insiders. How much Texans news does he break? He's just less angry now.
I agree. The team seems to be moved passed him. O'Brien would respond to McClain's questions but no more than to others. Hopefully, McClain realizes he is at the end of his career and lie back and enjoy free trips to games.

Was he injured?
His concussion issue followed him well after the season was over. His ankle was a problem throughout last season. I was told that he has been recently training. However, his history may have led him to be one of two players (the other was DL Matthew Godin who was cut after a failed physical) to be taken off of the roster (we were two over) to bring the number back to the mandatory 90. This could simply mean that the Texans are not sold on Allen, and wish to see other players in the mean time, as that would give them time to assess what may be the best options.

Last edited:
Curios if stats are kept on percentage of plays missed by starting players in a season due to injury (or something similar) and how the Texans have stacked up to other teams in the last couple of years with this. Anyone know?

Our med staff evidently passed him......whether correctly or not, we'll not know. However, I felt that football was never going to take priority to going into law enforcement. When a player is already talking about his ultimate goal not being entirely committed to football..........even before the beginning of his career..........believe him.

Texans cut DE Jalen Wilkerson with "failure to disclose physical condition" designation. What was he thinking?......can't pull the wool over our med staff.

I have a feeling that the condition is related to residual effects from his history of a broken neck, after which for a while, he could not move his arms or legs, and had no feeling from the neck down.

Last edited:
Texans cut DE Jalen Wilkerson with "failure to disclose physical condition" designation. What was he thinking?......can't pull the wool over our med staff.

I have a feeling that the condition is related to residual effects from his history of a broken neck, after which for a while, he could not move his arms or legs, and had no feeling from the neck down.

Apparently from the neck up, too. :thinking:

Did a search and didn't find any real discussion on Jaryd Jones-Smith, particularly any comment on his health from CnnnD. He had a devastating knee injury in 2015 and came back to play in 8 games in 2016 and started 9 games in 2017.

He appears to be a "prototypical" RT, with 36" arms and 10" hands; but lacks strength. Only had 16 reps.

I'm not a fan of Lamm and would like to see J-S win his spot on the team, rather than PS. Comments?

I have not had much time to keep up with everything on the MB, but did see your post and thought I would fill in some details.

Jones-Smith tore his anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and the lateral collateral ligament. The only knee ligament he did not tear was his medial collateral ligament. He tore his popliteus muscle off the bone. He also tore his knee joint capsule. His tibia was badly dislocated, folded anteriorly on his femur. This resulted in popliteal artery being compressed and blocking off most of the distal flow to his leg and foot until 30 minutes later when his knee was finally relocated. Finally, the severe dislocation placed extreme stretch on the peroneal nerve, the type of damage that caused the foot drop in Jaylon Smith of the Cowboys.

TheThese injuries explain his "compromised" performance 2 years later (2017)...............and this analysis going into the Draft.:

*****************************************************************************************

Analysis: Jaryd Jones-Smith’s tape will be disappointing if you are looking for athleticism and effective run blocking, he is like molasses moving on the football field. He is terrible in space and struggles moving laterally or in a straight-line. This will prevent teams from sliding him inside to guard in the future due to his lack of movement and his struggle in the running game. He takes bad angles to the second level when he gets there, usually getting a hand on them as they slip by. He is not a finisher while run blocking and needs to get more of a mean streak in him. He is slow to redirect his weight and will have to prove he can handle NFL edge speed and subsequent counters inside. After showing promise starting three of 13 games played at left tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2014, he missed the entire next season after blowing out his knee in June 2015. Jones-Smith ripped multiple ligaments and his tibia bone twisted to put pressure on a major artery; he could have lost his leg had medical staff not acted as quickly. Somehow he returned to play in eight games in 2016, starting one as the team’s sixth offensive lineman. The former New Jersey All-State performer earned his degree, however, and contributed to the Panthers’ 2017 season, starting nine games at right tackle. link

****************************************************************************************

I'm sorry to say that his type of injury makes it more likely than not that he will not be able to keep up in the NFL.

I have not had much time to keep up with everything on the MB, but did see your post and thought I would fill in some details.

Jones-Smith tore his anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and the lateral collateral ligament. The only knee ligament he did not tear was his medial collateral ligament. He tore his popliteus muscle off the bone. He also tore his knee joint capsule. His tibia was badly dislocated, folded anteriorly on his femur. This resulted in popliteal artery being compressed and blocking off most of the distal flow to his leg and foot until 30 minutes later when his knee was finally relocated. Finally, the severe dislocation placed extreme stretch on the peroneal nerve, the type of damage that caused the foot drop in Jaylon Smith of the Cowboys.

TheThese injuries explain his "compromised" performance 2 years later (2017)...............and this analysis going into the Draft.:

*****************************************************************************************

Analysis: Jaryd Jones-Smith’s tape will be disappointing if you are looking for athleticism and effective run blocking, he is like molasses moving on the football field. He is terrible in space and struggles moving laterally or in a straight-line. This will prevent teams from sliding him inside to guard in the future due to his lack of movement and his struggle in the running game. He takes bad angles to the second level when he gets there, usually getting a hand on them as they slip by. He is not a finisher while run blocking and needs to get more of a mean streak in him. He is slow to redirect his weight and will have to prove he can handle NFL edge speed and subsequent counters inside. After showing promise starting three of 13 games played at left tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2014, he missed the entire next season after blowing out his knee in June 2015. Jones-Smith ripped multiple ligaments and his tibia bone twisted to put pressure on a major artery; he could have lost his leg had medical staff not acted as quickly. Somehow he returned to play in eight games in 2016, starting one as the team’s sixth offensive lineman. The former New Jersey All-State performer earned his degree, however, and contributed to the Panthers’ 2017 season, starting nine games at right tackle. link

****************************************************************************************

I'm sorry to say that his type of injury makes it more likely than not that he will not be able to keep up in the NFL.

While somewhat slow, he didn't look as bad as that write-up. He needs S&C and a lot of technique" work. Can he fully recover and get back the agility/quickness he had before injury. He certainly has the measureables to play RT.

While somewhat slow, he didn't look as bad as that write-up. He needs S&C and a lot of technique" work. Can he fully recover and get back the agility/quickness he had before injury. He certainly has the measureables to play RT.
Such an injury would be extremely difficult for even a lighter smaller player to ever recover good agility and quickness. One thing that very much concerns me and I didn't mention this above (it was not widely reported) is that this massive knee damage was sustained as a noncontact injury..........while he was slowly jogging off the field after a practice. This by far is not an expected "normal" injury and should set off red flags as to a potential genetic weakness of his ligamentous tissues.

Such an injury would be extremely difficult for even a lighter smaller player to ever recover good agility and quickness. One thing that very much concerns me and I didn't mention this above (it was not widely reported) is that this massive knee damage was sustained as a noncontact injury..........while he was slowly jogging off the field after a practice. This by far is not an expected "normal" injury and should set off red flags as to a potential genetic weakness of his ligamentous tissues.

Thx Doc

Genetics, there's no getting around them.

Thanx. I was hoping that, going on 3 years after the injury, and starting last season, he might make the team. Doesn’t look good now.

Yet some after watching play think he could start for Texans before season out. Thanks Doc for info which will help as I watch him.

With Heath not out there, it appears that he is having ongoing problems with his knee. In the 2nd divisional playoff game last Jan, he injured it. There was debate at the time if surgery was necessary, and it was decided against. During the offseason he was again hobbled with a hamstring. Nov, he reinjured his knee and it was a significant issue for the rest of the season. Now, he's not out there. No interim surgery reported. Can't be a very good sign.

Clowney is not participating in any OTA activities. This can't help but conjure up some concern. From Nov last year, he played through a knee injury. Immediately after the season, he underwent a knee arthroscopy on Jan 8., necessitating that he miss the Pro Bow that year. Three weeks following the scope, it was was reported to be a minor procedure.........just a "clean up"..........he would miss no offseason activities. He was to be cleared to practice by April. He is now 4 1/2 months out from surgery on his left knee..........not the microfracture knee...........and the Texans have not given a clear-cut time table for his return from surgery. In case you missed it, almost 1 year from this past surgery, he also underwent a minor arthroscopy on his left knee that also had him miss the Pro Bowl. Keep in mind that every time a player undergoes a "clean up" scope, something is removed........usually cartilage. That's how things began with his right knee.

Last edited:
Thanks CnnnD! I have Heath not making final roster. Also do you think info on Clowney is holding up his reported new deal or impacting the negotiations? Texans were so enthusiastic for a bit about publicly saying how they wanted him long term when those announcements were not necessary.

Thanks CnnnD! I have Heath not making final roster. Also do you think info on Clowney is holding up his reported new deal or impacting the negotiations? Texans were so enthusiastic for a bit about publicly saying how they wanted him long term when those announcements were not necessary.
I can't say for sure, because I have never understood some of the big name Texans contracts given to injured players. However, I can't help but think that "conditions" are, or at least should be, a significant consideration.

Texans' Jadeveon Clowney out until training camp
By Aaron Wilson, Houston Chronicle

May 30, 2018 Updated: May 30, 2018 5:17pm

Clowney isn't expected to return until training camp due to a knee injury that required arthroscopic surgery and has prompted him to seek a second medical opinion from Dr. James Andrews.

"I don't know," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said of when Clowney might return. "I wouldn't say he'll be in any OTAs, but probably training camp."

The star pass rusher and run stopper isn't medically cleared yet, but sources not authorized to speak publicly have emphasized that his long-term outlook is positive.

O'Brien downplayed any concern surrounding Clowney's health even though it's been four months since he underwent surgery.

"I think he's doing okay," O'Brien said. "He's in there with the medical team, trying to get better. He's in the meetings and things like that. I think he's progressing."

The former top overall draft pick expressed confidence in his knee.

"I'll be ready to go," Clowney said.

I hope he’s missing OTAs because of contract negotiations moreso than the knee :(
He has not been cleared medically. The 2nd opinion with Dr. Andrews would not have been requested by Clowney just before wanting to sign a big contract. That 2nd opinion was requested by the team......a specific show of concern re. his knee(s). Still not being cleared medically following the 2nd opinion would not have any positive effect on his contract negotiations, or his ability to avoid OTAs to avoid further injury prior to signing a contract.

Last edited:
Clowney has precious little cartilage remaining in that knee. Sad as it may be, it would be a colossal mistake to sign him to a big contract. He is broken!
So it would seem you are clearly convinced the best part of his career is now behind him ?

Remember teams passed on Jay Ajayi because of cartllage in his knee? He seems to be doing fine.
Jay Ajayi sustained an ACL rupture and medial meniscus tear in 2011. The ACL was repaired............and the torn segment of the meniscus was not removed.........it was repaired. A single report by Maycock got everyone upset at the Combine.........he stated that Ajayi was "bone on bone" with the implication that he would require subsequent microfracture surgery. There was never confirmation of this information, nor was this likely. Yet it touched off a campaign of fear. There has still been no report that Ajayi is looking at microfracture surgery or that he has knee issues originating from a "bone on bone" condition. 2016 was an excellent year for Ajayi with 260 carries for almost 1300 yds (4.9 yds/c. 2017 was a very good year for him also.........~210 carries for ~875 yds (4.2 yds/c). Ajayi is more a case of inaccurate information and poorly based fear rather than any established significant permanent knee joint articular cartilage damage.............Clowney's history of severe knee joint articular cartilage damage is solidly established, with now his other knee coming into question...........and his future is much more predictable.

Last edited:
In a podcast yesterday, as opposed to the initial left knee scope report in Jan, McClain identified the last scope performed on Clowney as being to his RIGHT knee......his microfracture knee. Clowney not being medically cleared yet when he was to be ready for OTAs.........and a second opinion by Dr. Andrews ...........all this makes for even more concern for a knee that is expected to degenerate, especially since McClain reported that Dr. Andrews responded to Clowney with "I can't tell you anything you don't already know."

Please
In a podcast yesterday, as opposed to the initial left knee scope report in Jan, McClain identified the last scope performed on Clowney as being to his RIGHT knee......his microfracture knee. Clowney not being medically cleared yet when he was to be ready for OTAs.........and a second opinion by Dr. Andrews ...........all this makes for even more concern for a knee that is expected to degenerate, especially since McClain reported that Dr. Andrews responded to Clowney with "I can't tell you anything you don't already know."
please, please, please just franchise tag Clowney!!

For every year that you think he can produce like last year or better

Can anyone tell me options (if there are any) for adding "injury-protection" to guaranteed money? Something similar to the rookie 5th-year option (guaranteed unless you fail a physical prior to the season.) If that's possible I'm fine paying JD a long-term deal.

The beginning of last season, he suffered a high ankle sprain of his left ankle. It led to him missing 3 games..........the first 3 games he has ever missed in his career. He dealt with this issue throughout the year. He was invited to the Senior Bowl, but was unable to participate because of the ankle. Not exactly an encouraging sign to see him again in a ankle left boot today.

Last edited:
I dunno is it possible that Clowneys absence from OTAs could be related to his & the teams inability to reach an agreement on a new contract ?

I dunno is it possible that Clowneys absence from OTAs could be related to his & the teams inability to reach an agreement on a new contract ?

Sure... I don't think he's holding out. However, I have no doubt that Clowney's knee is incentivizing him to maximize the guaranteed money in his contract and also mitigating what the Texans are willing to risk. If he did not have a chronic knee issue flare up again this off-season, they would likely have already reached an agreement. So, in that way, his absence is related.

Sure... I don't think he's holding out. However, I have no doubt that Clowney's knee is incentivizing him to maximize the guaranteed money in his contract and also mitigating what the Texans are willing to risk. If he did not have a chronic knee issue flare up again this off-season, they would likely have already reached an agreement. So, in that way, his absence is related.
I would say that he's also staying away to keep from re-injuring his knee(s) before signing a new contract.

smells a bit like Duane Brown's situation as a Texan.
Brown did not have a medical clearance issue. He was as good as he was going to be when his negotiations broke down. Clowney has yet to be medically cleared 5 months following his "minor" cleanup of his microfracture knee. His medical clearance is a matter of his physical knee status and is not fueled one way or the other by his contract situation.

Last edited:
Brown did not have a medical clearance issue. He was as good as he was going to be when his negotiations broke down. Clowney has yet to be medically cleared 5 months following his "minor" cleanup of his microfracture knee. His medical clearance is a matter of his physical knee status and is not fueled one way or the other by his contract situation.

Clowney has a history of slow recuperations and less than spirited returns to practice .... "Hell Coach, .... it's hot out there" !

Just to confirm now..........Clowney's contract has nothing to do with his not participating in OTAs. He has definitely had setbacks since his scope in Jan.

Anthony Weaver.. (ex player/current Dline coach) admitted exactly that on the news.

He said he had a setback, but is now on track and is feeling good and is working on building strength in the knee. We'll see.

Back