Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Injury Thread

Hmm..now I wonder where I heard that word before? Just can't seem to recall. :D
Hmmmmmm, I can't seem to remember either!

hqdefault.jpg

An observation was made near the end of the game that KJ Dillon was wearing a brace..........and limping noticeably. Many patients who return to high level sports within a year of surgery will use a knee brace. No scientific data has shown that using a knee brace will prevent re-injury to the ACL. However, many players choose to wear a knee brace anyway. ACL braces are really designed for people with instability, or an insufficient ACL, not as a means to prevent injury to an ACL. The problem with knee braces is while they may help support the knee when low forces are applied, these forces to begin with would not be expected to cause injury to the reconstructed ACL. However, a force that is high enough to disrupt the reconstructed ACL would not be effectively stabilized by the knee brace. Despite this science, many athletes feel more comfortable wearing the knee brace upon returning to sports after an ACL reconstruction, especially for the first year. And there is really no harm in wearing a brace; If wearing a knee brace makes the player more comfortable and does not create discomfort enough to affect performance, then the only thing he needs to understand is that wearing the brace does not change the likelihood of re-injuring his ACL.

Any new injuries from this game??
Dillon could have re-injured his knee.

It was difficult to tell if Dres Anderson suffered a finger dislocation or a wrist injury.

Drummond was said to have suffered a chest/rib injury, but it looked more as though it was trauma to his knee or leg.

I saw the Anderson injury. Weeden threw him a high, hard one that nearly took his hand off his wrist.

Braxton Miller apparently suffered a leg injury of some sort in last nights game. There is no mention of it. Everyone is quite familiar with Braxton's shoulder ordeal. But in 2013, Miller was out several games for an injury that was originally reported to be "minor" without anticipation of missing any games. The injury was a Grade II MCL tear.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat

#Texans announce the signing of Bruce Ellington.
2:36 PM - 11 Aug 2017

What is this with picking up players that have failed recent physicals. Only 5 days ago, he failed his physical with the needy Jets after being released by the 49ers. Since the 2014 Draft when thhe 49ers picked him up in the 4th round, he has been a textbook of multiple soft tissue injuries. Last preseason, he suffered a Grad III hamstring muscle tear and missed the entire 2016 season. He was still having similar problems this offseason. Soft tissue injuries, especially that have been recurrent over 3 1/2 years are not likely to miraculously disappear and be non issues going forward. Our new head of player personnel and GM seem to be trying to collect a team with the purpose of filling up spots on the Injury Reports.

But, of course, he's a south Carolina boy. So by all means, bring him in.

It's training camp... 90 man roster

What does it hurt?
All of his hamstring tears have occurred during punt/kick returns. although the 49ers tried him at the slot, he was never considered a very good option at WR. He was only sparingly used at the slot. He didn't manage more than 6 receptions in his 1st year and 13 in his 2nd (missed the entire 3rd).........all because he was dogged by constant soft tissue injuries throughout career............significant hamstring tears, significant calf tears, significant ankle ligament tears. From the information that I have been able to gather, Ellington's hamstring is still tender and is clearly still not fully healed from last year's hamstring injury. Keep in mind, that with an injury "cleared to practice" does not necessarily mean "fully healed"............and with soft tissue injuries this distinction is more important to be aware of.............and certainly a legitimate reason for smart teams to apply the "failed physical" designation. When you have repeated combinations of especially significant hamstring and calf tears, if you have followed my posts on these types of injuries, you will realize that these are career killers. I might also mention that, Ellington's hamstring tears can be traced back to 2013 at the University of South Carolina. Even in a "camp body" on a 90 man roster, you are looking for someone who can at least perform to some extent, and maybe have some potential. Otherwise, the Texans should just invest in a bunch of Fathead figures and spread them over the field.

Keep in mind that both the 49er and the Jets who released Ellington back-to-back within the week are teams that are in dire need of wide receivers. Looking at the head-scratcher type come-in-one-door, immediately go-out-the-other pickups we've been seeing, I'm almost beginning to think that Jimmy Rae and RS are "churning" the roster just to look busy doing something to justify their existence.

Last edited:
This business of Hopkins being on a very restrictive "pitch count".........not putting up a sweat in the Carolina game, missing non contact practices, now not participating in the Pats practice..........does not add up to me as being "saved" for the regular season or prophylactic protection from injury due to question marks in injuries/questions surrounding the WR group..............makes me very suspicious that he is dealing with some injury issue that the Texans are not being forthright about.

What kind of rehab work would someone with his injury be doing CND? I'd guess running and lifting would be out so maybe he's on the bike?
You're correct........staying conditioned in general terms. But specific to his surgically repaired clavicle, the regimen that my patients have followed are similar to that utilized by Mass General..........very much centered around progressive range of motion/shoulder strengthening exercises.

This business of Hopkins being on a very restrictive "pitch count".........not putting up a sweat in the Carolina game, missing non contact practices, now not participating in the Pats practice..........does not add up to me as being "saved" for the regular season or prophylactic protection from injury due to question marks in injuries/questions surrounding the WR group..............makes me very suspicious that he is dealing with some injury issue that the Texans are not being forthright about.

Texans taking cautious approach with DeAndre Hopkins
By Aaron Wilson

Updated 3:44 pm, Wednesday, August 16, 2017

WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, W. Va. - As star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins continues to watch from the sidelines, the Texans are maintaining a cautious approach with the one-time Pro Bowl selection as he recovers from a hand injury.

Hopkins hasn't practiced since getting dinged up during the Texans' preseason opener against the Carolina Panthers. It's not regarded as serious, but the Texans don't want to take any chances with arguably their most dangerous offensive weapon as they prepare for a season opener Sept. 10 against the Jacksonville Jaguars................................

................................"I think he's fine," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "Look, the biggest thing with him is making sure that he feels 100 percent when he practices, making sure that when the season starts he's ready to go.

"He's proven a lot to this organization over the last few years. He's fine. There's nothing really wrong with him. It's just more 'Hey, let's make sure this guy's ready to go on September 10.'"

*******************************************************************************************************************************
Hard to believe much of anything coming out of Texans regarding injuries.

I'm sure CND will cover this in the injury thread later:

Colts center Ryan Kelly to have surgery, will miss time during regular season
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ry-miss-time-during-regular-season/575792001/

Although more often seen in skill players (especially WRs), a Jones (5th metatarsal) fracture is what I would strongly suspect in Kelly. The most common type of foot fracture for a lineman is a stress fracture. The most common sites for stress fractures in the foot are the metatarsal bones..............and the most commonly involved metatarsal bone is the 5th metatarsal. Even though 6-8 weeks is the "classic" recovery reported, after that period of time, you see quite a few players having to go back for a 2nd surgery using that timetable. I've always felt that 8-10 weeks is a more prudent approach to an elite NFL athlete

Although more often seen in skill players (especially WRs), a Jones (5th metatarsal) fracture is what I would strongly suspect in Kelly. The most common type of foot fracture for a lineman is a stress fracture. The most common sites for stress fractures in the foot are the metatarsal bones..............and the most commonly involved metatarsal bone is the 5th metatarsal. Even though 6-8 weeks is the "classic" recovery reported, after that period of time, you see quite a few players having to go back for a 2nd surgery using that timetable. I've always felt that 8-10 weeks is a more prudent approach to an elite NFL athlete

Isn't that Kevin Johnson's injury?

Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 10m10 minutes ago

Marcus Leak left practice early, looked like he's dealing with heat issues

Bill O'Brien on Tom Savage 'Tom is our starter. He's had a good camp' Emphasized he's No. 1 and Deshaun Watson No. 2

Braxton Miller (ankle) didn't practice

Chris Clark remains sidelined at practice with lower body soreness

Christian Covington and Bruce Ellington returned to practice

Jadeveon Clowney, DeAndre Hopkins, C.J. Fiedorowicz didn't practice, D'Onta Foreman didn't finish practice due to muscle soreness

Fiedorowicz has been out for a quadriceps injury. (He was dealing with a thigh injury during the playoffs).

Pratt's out with ankle injury

Leak today was dealing with heat exhaustion

Strong sustained some sort of injury at the very end of today's practice........he was taken to x-ray..........whatever the injury, he will have some extra time to recover :toropalm:

Last edited:
Not good...I am a big fan of his but if he and Ervin are considered redundant that may be the end of is run here in Houston.
just my view but Hunt was way ahead of Ervin but if injury doesn't allow him to show his worth on field, he will not make roster. He needs to be on field versus Dallas.

Reactions: Max
The Texans have still not evidently learned how to handle their unconditioned, dehydrated and heat-exposed players with effective muscular "prehab" and "rescuscitation."
That would seem extremely important to, us lay folk, in a very hot, humid environment. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, rest, stretch, stretch, stretch, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Would that be close to correctly handling it?

I was skeptical but still hoping that Lonnie Ballentine could at least make it through an offseason and preseason without another knee problem..................my hopes have been dashed.

Last edited:
Clowney was back at practice today (extent not reported yet). Can't believe much coming out re. injuries as accurate. Prime example, the previously reported "body soreness" given as the reason for him missing previous time now becomes "leg soreness"...............seems to be getting closer and closer to "knee soreness."

Texans rookie Kyle Fuller returned to practice today after being out most of TC. Fiedorowicz (quad) and Foreman (leg) not practicing today.....neither is Hopkins and Braxton Miller.

I'm hoping Foreman situation is not "..........the leg bone's connected to the foot bone."

I was skeptical but still hoping that Lonnie Ballentine could at least make it through an offseason and preseason without another knee problem..................my hopes have been dashed.

I hate that this guy got badly injured. He looked like he had the potential to be a real differencemaker at the safety position. A position that badly needs playmakers.

The Texans have still not evidently learned how to handle their unconditioned, dehydrated and heat-exposed players with effective muscular "prehab" and "rescuscitation."

Do you really think it's all that different from any of the rest of the teams this time of the year?

Blue left early in practice yesterday with an ankle issue.

Foreman had not been practicing because of what was referred to as a "leg injury." It was not revealed that he has been dealing with a groin strain for at least 1 week. I can't help but think that his foot is still giving him problems leading to these compensatory problems the more he plays. Any foot problems in a RB can slowly grind him down in many ways. I hope I'm wrong as concerns Foreman.

Add Ogunbowale who left practice with trainers, walking off under his own power during a non-contact drill. I have no further info. I hope it doesn't end up an ACL.

Blue will be announced to have a high ankle sprain.

Anyone on the MB want me to set you up for a tryout with the Texans for the RB position??

On 610 radio this afternoon the Chronicles John McClain said injured Will Fuller has been back to TC for awhile and he is not wearing a sling
to support him with his fractured collarbone and wondered if that could be an indication he's ahead of schedule for his recovery/rehab ?
Fair question ?

Back